IMDb > Reno 911!: Miami (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Not Perfect, But Funny

Author: vashstampede117 from Los Angles
24 February 2007

I know that many people are complaining about the short length of the movie, a sparse 84 min, but what's there is funny. I know that when I left the theater, my face, as well as the faces of my 9 friends who came with me were hurting from laughing so hard. If you a fan of the show, you will love the inside jokes and cameo of one of the shows most beloved characters (I won't spoil that for you, just look at the cast for yourself). There are also plenty of notable celebrity cameos such as Danny DeVito, and The Rock to name a few. I will admit that it isn't exactly up for any awards, nor will it go down in history as one of the funniest movies of history, but it has its moments. If you liked the show, you will like the movie.

Funny and Satisfying, Even for Non-Fans of the TV Series

Author: MITCH! (jkownacki@gmail.com) from United States
22 February 2007

I'd only seen part of one episode of the TV show before seeing the film, so my knowledge of the characters and the premise of the show was limited. No matter: the film does an excellent job of establishing its tone and the specifics of the characters right off the bat. No roadmap required.

My biggest fear with seeing a theatrical version of a TV series is that the film tries to overinflate the stakes of the plot to justify the increased length and budget and fails. Reno 911!: Miami took that necessity to its logical next step by moving the small town incompetence to a much larger scale in Miami, but due to some clever (and minimalist) writing, the relocation works. And, since nearly all of the humor in the film is derived from the characters and their reactions to their situations -- all of which speed by at a brisk pace, so as to not overmilk a joke -- the relocation never felt forced or unwelcome.

Impressively, the film veers into cliché territory on numerous occasions but never delivers the expected punchline. The actors know their characters so well that their improvisations keep the audience and their costars on their toes at all times. Even the traditional "caper" plot, which is really just an excuse to tie all the vignettes together, is handled with more originality than I would have expected.

Perhaps I should start expecting more from this creative team, since they're capable of sustaining my interest (and my amusement) over the course of a full-length feature. In fact, perhaps I should start watching the series...

Hilarious

Author: no_spm_brazil from United States
24 February 2007

I haven't laughed this hard in a theater since I saw Something About Mary. That said, I'm a fan of the TV series, and I thought the movie lived up to its expectations. My only complaint is it could have been longer. Nevertheless, I think the writers and actors were on their game. Take in mind this is dumb slapstick humor, with flatulence and vomit jokes, but its still very clever, unique, and definitely funny! There really wasn't much of a storyline, or I should say it had very simple plot. However, that's not what makes Reno 911 funny (a complex plot might even be distracting). What makes Reno 911 funny is the string of endless "skits" and scenarios these incompetent cops put themselves in. This is a great cast of actor/comedians.

A Fun Romp, Pointless, Yet Delivers The Chuckles

Author: Rowan Smith from United States
24 February 2007

I hear all these people saying that this flick is a disappointment. That it should have stayed on TV. They complain about the lack of plot. What this movie constitutes is basically a bunch of scenes that appear to have been mostly ad-libbed, stuck together with a very, very loose plot involving a disease which is really just an excuse for them to be where they are. I found the extreme lack of a story amusing, especially in a few scenes where its obvious how aware they all were of it, and they were able to make fun of it. The R rating allows for some great gags that wouldn't have been able to show on TV. Overall this flick isn't an amazing comedy. It isn't thought provoking or anything else to that extent. It's a bunch of good jokes strung together and pasted up on a screen. If you like the show, don't expect it to be much more then an extended episode of the show, with some more boundary pushing gags and celebrity cameos.

Funnier than I expected

Author: imyourcanary from United States
24 February 2007

I actually enjoy the show and was very unsure about how it could be translated into a movie, so my expectations were not terribly high initially. Then I read one of the reviews on here that said that the movie was much less funny than the show, and overall rather disappointing. After that, my expectations were even lower, so I was pretty much expecting a dud when I went in.

I see what people were saying about it being strange that they tried to shove a plot into what should essentially be series of skits, but contrary to the reviews I've read, I thought it worked just fine. If anything, the cliché terror-attack plot paired with the cliché drug-lord plot were just meant to be a throwaway satire of the kinds of awful plots some franchises have to create in order to be translated into a feature film format ("over-the-top" action "worthy" of the big screen). If anything it just provided for some completely ridiculous scenarios that this viewer found quite entertaining.

As far as the cameos, yeah, they remove you from what shred of "reality" was left in this reality TV parody, but I felt like they worked. For one thing, minus the Rock and Danny DeVito, most of the cameos were not necessarily people everyone is going to recognize. Half the theater was asking "who's that?" when members of Stella showed up, or when someone from Upright Citizen's Brigade was on the screen. But for people who've loved the work of these semi-famous comedians over the years, their presence was a bonus. Not to mention it made the film into an effort by the whole Comedy Central family, which was kind of endearing.

Anyway, going in with low expectations and trying not to take it seriously (it is a comedy, after all), you should have a good time viewing this.

"Reno 911!: Miami" – A Different Kind of Road Trip

Author: frankwhat from Lakewood, NJ
24 February 2007

Whenever I saw the regular series on television I definitely enjoyed it. "Reno 911!" is a highly creative and very funny show. However much to my dismay I've only caught bits and pieces of it so I went into this film not knowing nearly as much of the characters' backgrounds as many others in the theater on opening night. Fortunately, enough was explained that newcomers could quickly pick up on what went on despite some in-jokes definitely being present. Now even with bearing my limited level of "Reno 911!" expertise in mind I thought it was hilarious. The biggest problem this film will face is it was setup in a very similar style to last year's "Borat". Between the carefree male nudity and how sex was addressed, the resemblance was very much alike. Despite this approach being taken, this was very much its own movie and accomplished what it set out for.

The real-time mockumentary comedy that "Reno 911" represents has been prevalent on television for the past few years and recently it appears as if it's now being a preferred alternative on the big screen as well. This is with good reason because the characters seem more like actual everyday people than some ridiculous caricature that doesn't resemble anything close to a human being. Viewers can identify with these personalities more and thus stand a better chance of becoming sucked into the different situations no matter how over the top they are. I predict that humorous films will start adhering to this relatively new formula and will be the kick-start to a whole new generation of cinema.

Notwithstanding some of the downright hysterical moments, there were some pieces that didn't work. To start off with, the first half was much funnier then the latter part. As if the writers began running out of jokes and settled for any suitable finale. Also most of the dialog in the show is improvised where it appears that for the movie it was scripted the other way around and this certainly took away from the actors' spontaneity. Finally some of the scenarios are almost a little too far-fetched, even for a notorious farcical ensemble cast such as this.

All in all I found myself laughing out loud a lot and was very glad I caught this one. It appears it won't beat out the television show due to the advantage of getting to compress the running time, but it's still a very comical motion picture that'll guarantee to put just about anyone in stitches. I'd say there's a very good chance a sequel will be in the works and surely look forward to it. Law enforcement is no stranger to either parodies of itself or becoming a target for instances of goofiness that could never really happen, but this is a new take on big-hearted police officers that can't seem to get anything right that'll have you mimicking them for hours on end. Between the witty quotes, the oddball lawbreakers, and the refreshing celebrity guest list…Miami didn't know what hit it!

Bizarre, crazy ... and entertaining.

Author: vram22 from United States
11 August 2008

Having not seen the TV series, this was my first exposure to the characters of the "Reno 911!" world. As such, the movie was really amusing to watch. There are some really funny bits (mostly coming from the dialog) along with the insane wackiness of the characters. As a first-time viewer, it was just plain fun to watch.

The movie is basically about a group of Reno police officers who travel to Miami for a police convention. When a quarantine restricts the Miami police force (and all the other officers in the city), the Reno crew must defend the city.

The dumb innocence of the characters coupled with the serious tone that goes along with being police officers is well done. Each character is also well-defined with particular quirks, hangups and issues with the other characters. As a result, the things they say are often nutty and hilarious.

If you've never seen the series, everything in the movie will be fresh and amusing. There are some good laughs here and there and the bizarre, kooky characters will keep you fascinated. For new viewers, it's worth checking out.

Listen Up People . . . This Reno Is Fabulous

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
16 June 2007

"Reno 911: Miami" the Comedy Central spin-off movie spoof of Fox's highly-rated reality ride-along TV show "Cops," qualifies as a consistently hilarious comedy of errors about a loopy lot of law enforcement personnel who wouldn't know what to do with a clue if they found one. Mind you, the cable TV show "Reno 911" is as much an acquired taste as the film that it has spawned. People who cannot tolerate politically incorrect attitudes, unapologetically racist characters, and anything in between that consists of the lewd, the rude, and the crude, won't appreciate the skewered humor of either the television show or this movie. Happily, everybody from the superbly silly small screen saga about Reno, Nevada's mentally challenged sheriff's department reprises their role in this big screen adaptation. Moreover, nothing drastic has changed in terms of the irreverent wit, the wacky characters, and the preposterous predicaments, except that "Reno 911: Miami" is bigger and better. Aside from a disposable plot that involves a poorly parodied "Scarface" mobster who wields a weed-eater rather than a chainsaw, most of "Reno 911: Miami" will tickle your ribs.

The premise of "Reno 911: Miami" is that the sheriff's deputies receive an invitation to attend the American Police Convention in Miami Beach, Florida. "They invited us," Lieutenant Jim Dangle (Thomas Lennon) announces to Deputies Raineesha Williams (Niecy Nash), Travis Junior (Robert Ben Garant), S. Jones (Cedric Yarbrough), James Garcia (Carlos Alazraqui), Clementine Johnston (Wendi McLendon-Covey), Trudy Wiegel (Kerri Kenny-Silver) and Cherisha Kimball (Mary Birdsong), "because they invited everybody." When our hapless heroes arrive in sunny Miami after an uncomfortable cross-country bus trip, convention officials cannot find either their credentials or their registration packets. Since they cannot register at the convention center motel, Dangle and his deputies have to check into a seedy dive called the International Inn. The next day they return to the convention center and learn to their surprise that terrorists have exposed the over 2000 cops, including the Miami Beach police, in the convention center to a biological toxin, and Homeland Security doesn't possess an antidote. Meaning, the authorities have quarantined everyone in the convention center, and acting mayor Jeff Spoder (Patton Oswalt) reluctantly presses the Reno deputies into service to stand between Miami and rampant lawlessness. Predictably, chaos ensues with the Reno crew wrecking Miami's Ford police cars and fumbling one situation after another in ways characteristic of the television series. Garcia and Jones investigate an alligator in a backyard swimming pool in what is one of the funniest scenes and get advice from a redneck next door neighbor. Meanwhile, another series regular shows up. Nick Swardson generates a lot of hilarity as the nutty male prostitute on roller skates named Terry. Terry's role is considerably larger here than in the TV show. Raineesha and Trudy have some funny moments at the beach with Raineesha trying to coach Trudy in the proper etiquette of talking to beachcombers. Dangle and Travis wind up at a topless beach trying to remove a beached sperm whale. Eventually, our heroes run afoul of the chief villain, a wannabe Tony Montana-style drug czar played by Paul Rudd that constitutes the more lackluster part of the plot. When the film focuses on the drug lord, it is not as zany as when the Reno crew dominates the action.

Co-writer & director Robert Ben Garant and scenarists Thomas Lennon and Kerri Kennedy-Silver have done a smooth job transferring their deadpan, improvisational humor to the screen. Basically, Trudy emerges again as the craziest of the eight deputies. For example, at an exhibition where cops shoot at a guy modeling a bullet-proof vest, Trudy cannot hit the vest, but she manages to wound the man in the arm. She triggers a rocket while seated in an assault helicopter and blows one of Miami PD's prowl cars to smithereens. "Oh, that was my bad," she remarks as the fireball explosion dissipates. She continues to have her crush on Dangle who has nothing but revulsion for her. At the same time, Clementine is trying to figure out how she got a tattoo of a mustached man on her left breast, and Garcia is having a difficult time deducing how he got a tattoo of a blond on his loins. Every character gets a chance to shine, and anybody that doesn't know anything about them will learn quickly what makes each deputy unique. As Lt. Dangle, Lennon practically repeats his first season speech about his penchant for wearing tight-fitting cut-offs. Niecy Nash is especially funny when she explains how she likes to push around men. "Reno 911: Miami" boasts three cameos, with Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock, scoring best as a butterfingered SWAT expert who blows himself up, while Paul Reubens of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" turns up as Terry's wealthy father. Like many recent movies, "Reno 911: Miami" isn't content to wrap up its antics all nice and neat before the end credits roll. Stick around for the end credits and you'll see three more amusing skits. The best one involves a proctologist explaining how his medical equipment works. The performances by a seasoned ensemble cast are uniformly side-splitting throughout, and the comedians never wear out their welcome in a $10-million film that clocks in at 85 minutes. Fans of "Reno 911" won't be disappointed with this big-screen adventure. "Reno 911: Miami" ranks as the funniest cop comedy since the Broken Lizard Club's first movie "Super Troopers."

Crap Compared to the Show

Author: Scars_Remain from United States
28 July 2008

I was pretty excited to see this movie after being a fairly big fan of the show and I am very let down. I can't put my finger on just what it is that made it so different from the show. Perhaps it's the fact that the show has the homemade "Cops" feel to it and you could tell the movie was Hollywood produced. Maybe it was that the show seems to be funnier and more creative. Whatever the reason, I was sad to see such a good show reduced to such an average and boring movie.

The characters and actors are all the same but they almost seemed to be holding back from the performances they give on the show. The story was boring and not as creative as usual but there were definitely a few good funny moments that kept me from rating movie lower. I just thought it was average Hollywood comedy fare that really doesn't deserve a theatrical release. Maybe I would have liked it if it weren't for all the hype surrounding it.

I guess you should see this if you like the show but don't expect something as funny. It's like a half as funny version of the show that was less thought out.

Great and funny, but has room for improvement.

Author: sealBKL from United States
23 February 2007

I enjoyed the movie. I am a huge fan of the show. But I do have to agree with the comments already made and only comment myself in an attempt to be more concise and more helpful in my opinion. The show was very funny and made me laugh out loud at times, but i feel it could have been even funnier. With Reno 911 I expect a lot, because of the reputation they have built for me. The movie steps into the line of R rated issues that I have no problem with, but show a lack of intelligence, originality and surprise. The movie becomes predictable as it goes on. Too much focus is put onto dangle and Trudy. Certain members of the team have only a handful of lines. What i love about reno 911 the show is that every character makes up the team and every character can make me laugh. In the movie too much focus is attempted on too few characters. I wasn't disappointed in the movie, but from a critical view I think more could have been done. as for the comments about Borat the movie...I see no reason to compare the two...except that i guess for some borat is a new thing to most Americans this year and they feel a need to compare seeing them as 2 comedies this year.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]