IMDb > Stump the Band (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Stump the Band More at IMDbPro »

A slightly above average comedy-slasher that fails when it needs to succeed

Author: Anthony Pittore III (Shattered_Wake) from Los Angeles, CA
27 July 2008

Don't let the title fool you: This is not a VH1 game show starring teams of washed-up musicians. Don't expect any Flock of Seagulls or Hootie and the Blowfish in this one. Instead, we meet a group of up-and-coming musicians, an all-girl punk band that's touring cross-country and preparing to record their first album, with hopes of a label release. After an 'animal' drives them off the road in the middle of nowhere, the band (along with their manager and a member's boyfriend) are stranded without any means of reaching help. Things take a turn for the worst when the members of the group start to disappear, one by one, at the hands of an insane axe-murderer. Will help find them? Or is it already too late?

Stump the Band is a film of 'almost's. It's almost funny, but some of the jokes fall flat at the punchline. It's almost horrific, but the brutality is pulled back too fast. The actors are almost talented, but their lack of consistency is a bit distracting. The writing/direction/cinematography: almost good. . . but, the dialogue gets a bit annoying, the direction is a bit off, and the cinematography gives the film a very cheap look. However, the girls are cute and they do include the obligatory all-nude skinny dipping scene. Actually, they include a whole lot of 'obligatory' things: the creepy crowd at a drive-by diner, the shady gas station attendants, the 'animal in the road,' the car problems, the abusive/controlling/douche bag boyfriend with the too-sweet girlfriend who refuses to leave him, etc. However, as a film that is paying homage to the 80s-style slashers that it holds its similarities to, using more than a few clichés isn't entirely unacceptable. And, unlike a film like Hatchet, Stump the Band manages to pay homage without stealing directly from the films of the past. Mostly. Looking past the flaws and accepting some of the mediocrity, I actually very much enjoyed it. It's nothing new, but somehow it is (if that makes sense). It maintains a good level of quirkiness and entertainment value, and should be very much liked by fans of the Friday the 13th-style slashers, with a twist of comedy.

Final verdict: 6/10.

Not like other horror movies

Author: joan-130 from United States
15 February 2007

Who says a horror movie can't have humor? This one is a tongue in cheek (or foot in box) movie that combines an all girl punk band with a doomed time in the woods. There are some distinct characters that beg cult movie status. The film doesn't just have one bad guy, but can't tell you more without giving away the story. This movie includes independent women's music from all over the country as well as music by Robbie Rist. Like movies with lines you later repeat? Then you'll want to see this one with your friends. Grab a beverage, gather some pals, and be prepared to create your own audience participation Rocky Horror type event. This could be the beginning of a series...

Sex, Blood and Rock & Roll!

Author: attiyeh from United States
13 February 2007

This movie is exactly what it tries to be: an over the top, tongue in cheek blood bath with a great original soundtrack and an abundance of sexy girls. From the very beginning, you'll be cheering and laughing at both the heroes and the villains while the blood sprays and the body count mounts. What do a raunchy, tough, all-girl punk band and a creepily calm foot fetishist with a huge collection of shoe boxes have in common? They both wield a mean ax! Don't watch this movie alone! You won't be scared, but the jokes and blood sprays are even better with a cheering crowd and flying popcorn, especially the rolling finale! Its definitely worth watching more than once, and it makes a great party movie! Extra tip: Dog Boy alone makes it a must see...

Too scary to watch, too funny not to

Author: sugarpick from United States
24 February 2007

Thank goodness these film makers live in a time when they have film as an outlet for their very unusual minds! Throughout the film I was afraid to watch but more afraid not to, for fear I would miss a laugh. And there are laughs and gore galore in this story of an all-girl band and their trials and tribulations of life (and death) on the road. Lessons to be learned by future girl bands are...try to get along with everyone, beware of the locals, even if you like dogs and if your car breaks down, always resist the urge to go skinny-dipping.

I hope the film makers make a sequel. If nothing else it will keep them off the streets!

Rock and Roll at it's Scariest

Author: juliedolan from United States
15 February 2007

This movie had me rocking and rolling to the music and at the edge of my seat waiting for someone to die. I found it very funny, very clever, I thought it had some great original music - some hot girls, and yes, it was frigging scary. I had my hands over my eyes, several times.

It had the feel of a Texas ChainSaw Massacre yet better quality film and better characters. All I can say is, I wish I didn't turn it down. Ha ha - I am now waiting for the sequel so I can say to the director "Yes Bill, I want to be in your movie!!" The film was shot well - very interesting angles - lighting - and the characters were all so developed that you felt you knew each one. Go see it - you will enjoy it.

Scary & Funny

Author: ukuleleal from United States
15 February 2007

Stump The Band has carved out an interesting niche for itself. The premise of "Stump" is frankly...rude, but the execution is either spot on creepy or tongue in cheek funny. I liked that the film inserted humor without being campy. It's almost as if the film makers wanted to produce a straight up scare fest but naturally stumbled upon some offbeat and wacky bits that wound up improving the whole package.

The girrrrl band is great and the women are compelling. This would be a fun act to catch live although I don't recall the band's name. The guys flesh out mostly stock horror film characters but do it with an honest and natural flair. The bad guy is...good, a good bad guy, maybe even a great bad guy. His delivery is as if Hanibal Lecter got in touch with his feminine side. We want more!!! The only real downside is the special effects blood. It's a little brownish.

On the other hand, much of the action takes place in broad daylight. The mayhem is easy to see.

Stump The Band,... a slasher film with heart.

gore and chick flick

Author: ndetmer1986 from United States
13 February 2007

Had a great time just sitting back and pounding popcorn. Watching the silliness of grim/gore and chick/flick combined was fantastic. The homage to the Pythons was the best moment. Go and have fun...bring a friend who can cling to you at all the appropriate spots. The level of acting was on a par with what the market will bear - the advantage here is that the script is actually clever without completely coping to the requirements of the 15 year old male, repeat-visit patron. My group had a party of three - (Male/51, Female/54 and Female/23). Universal response to the humor a plus 10 along with the gore factor coming in loaded with laughs.

Great horror with a poke in the ribs

Author: pzentertainment from United States
13 February 2007

This film has a number of outstanding performances with the true delight being Larry Wyatt as the stumper(although the dog guy is pretty great, too). Beautifully underplayed and as frightening as any character I've ever seen in a horror flick. The tongue-in-cheek writing is first rate with plenty of chuckles to relieve the nervous anxiety that the darker aspects of the story line brings on. The she-rockers make a very believable band and work well together. Their back stories were very convincing. The ensemble was a perfect mix of conniving blood-suckers and thick-headed hangers-on, just what every band should have in their cotillion.I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I would highly recommend this instant classic to any fan of the horror genre!

Feel Good Movie of The Year

Author: Dave Hawkins I from United States
25 October 2006

If I could write a horror movie I've dreamed of for years this would be it. The long awaited horror film whose inception and production was made possible by Robbie Rist. If this isn't finally the one movie that truly scares you then you aren't paying attention. How can you not pay attention. ROCK CHICKS!!! Put on your Dini's flip flops and see this masterpiece of horror. Comedy and Horror and Bloody disgusting! Rock and Roll and hideous shrieking babes. You can't ask for anything more. I strongly believe this is the best movie I have ever seen. I think I have seen almost every horror movie ever made that cost over $3000 to make. You owe it to yourself to see this movie. You will see this movie. You can't help it. Unless you have an axe to grind.

Stump the Band-Exceeded my Expectations

Author: eecsmilemore from United States
4 May 2007

I was first introduced to this film at the Hollywood Dv festival. As the movie began I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I mean at first impression it is a total guy flick with hot girls playing rock music in a band. However, as the movie progressed the plot takes some unexpected twists and turns and I started becoming way more invested in the characters themselves. It got to the point where I knew I had to finish the movie otherwise it would have haunted me not to have known what happened. The story keeps you hooked along with witty and cleaver dialogue throughout which even makes the film humorous at times. It is a film I would definitely see again!