IMDb > Laffit: All About Winning (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Laffit: All About Winning More at IMDbPro »

Horse Racing Fans Take Note!

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
30 December 2007

What a nice tribute to an outstanding athlete: jockey Laffitt Pincay Jr.. Being a horse racing fan for many years, Pincay was a familiar name to me, as were 98 percent of the other people in this documentary. However, I had little knowledge of the man.

Little did I realize what an incredible physical specimen and disciplined human being this guy was and what lengths we went to do stay that way for 39 years in his profession. How many other athletes, it is asked here in this film, are on the top of their game for 39 straight years?! Nobody but Pincay.

A bunch of famous jockeys, a few top trainers (D. Wayne Lukas and Bob Baffert heading the list), horse owners, celebrities, reporters and others all explain why Pincay was so good at what he did. Better yet, they showed us. There is a lot of racing footage in here, and it shows some losses and horrible spills as well as the big victories. The latter, obviously, gets more play, as it should.

You'll meet Laffit's amazing family, too, and be moved at the end when the famous Panamanian is given a special day in his honor at Santa Anita racetrack. All in all, for a horse racing fan, this is great stuff!

Riveting!!!!

Author: brehanmaul from United States
22 April 2008

When you consider the scope and success of Laffit's career, you have to put him in that elite class of athletes with Tiger, MJ and Brady. This incredibly inspirational documentary finally gets it right, giving this great sports figure his due and providing an insightful and compelling look at what it takes to win in a sport that allows no room for mistakes. The arc and structure are right on and take you for a ride like only Jim Wilson and Kevin Costner can. I don't claim to be the biggest racing fan either but I loved it! Any sports fan can appreciate a story showcasing the sacrifice and determination needed to succeed. Just awesome!!!