The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey

Holiday film for everyone

Author: qwer80-1 from Placentia, California, USA
9 November 2007

This under-advertised DVD movie is a gem. It is suitable for all ages, and will be most appreciated by children and mature watchers. The players are all just excellent and I especially liked the work of the director. This is a heartwarming and uplifting tale, something we all need these days! Set at Christmas-time, the story shows how kindness and a strong,loving spirit can break barriers of loss and loneliness. The young actor playing the role of the son is outstanding and Mr. Berenger's genuine portrayal of the lonely recluse is moving and heart-felt. I believe this rather short film could become a Christmas staple and hope others who watch it will agree.

Moving and pleasing - a warming welcome in winter.

Author: Jon from United Kingdom
14 September 2009

This story of the meeting of lonely and sad people is a gentle, moving and warming tale that I think both older (8+ ?) children and adults will appreciate. The cast generally give a good performance and gel well - you can really feel the changing relationships as the story plays out. Luke Ward-Wilkinson does rather well and is very likable - he does not annoy like many child actors. Berenger also portrays Mr Toomey in a very believable way.

The cinematography is nice in many places, especially the idealistic scenes of the country village. The outside of the Toomey house looks very much like a studio set, shot from the immediate front, but this somehow adds to the overall feeling of separation and is in no way a problem. Aside from the issue of death, there are no disturbing scenes, "colourful" language, or issues not suitable for youngsters and this makes for a very enjoyable, slow paced, experience.

The film starts and ends in a Christmas setting, the remainder being time between, and so would suit a festive, wintery viewing with the whole family. The film does make you appreciate the ones you love and want to give them a hug.

It would be nice to know "what happens next" but maybe that is part of the appeal of the story - following the journey up to a point, then leaving the characters with their new start.

The Simple Things In Life At Christmas Can Heal a Broken Heart

Author: Ed-Shullivan from Canada
18 December 2013

What a nice warm and cozy film to watch around Christmas time. Tom Berenger plays the crusty Jonathan Toomey who lost his wife and young son through a tragic accident. Mr Toomey begrudgingly agrees with a recently widowed woman Susan McDowell (played by Joely Richardson) to let her 10 year old son Thomas (played by Luke Ward Wilkenson) watch Mr. Toomey carve out a replica wooden nativity scene that the young lad mistakenly left a family heirloom behind in a train station.

Gradually young Thomas wears down Jonathan Toomey's edgy personality and together young Thomas McDowell, the widower Susan McDowell and crusty Jonathan Toomey realize while meeting at Jonathan's home each night they begin carving out the wooden pieces of the nativity, that kindness and sharing in the true spirit of Christmas can brighten everyone's lives including people who have lost their most loved family members. It is a beautiful sad story with a happy and simple Christmas themed ending. We loved it.

Watch for a young girl named Celia who is smitten by the bereaving Thomass McDowell when he moves in to the country to live with his mom and his auntie. The young Celia is actually Saoirse Ronan who went on four years later to star in the rock em sock em action flick "Hanna"

"Miracles are pish-posh!"

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
25 December 2011

Most theatrical films today don't enter the realm of traditional values or refrain entirely from using words that make you feel uncomfortable with young children watching. Nor is there ever a product placement for Coca Cola very far away to remind us of crass commercialism. I picked this film up at my local library given it's Christmas themed title, and I don't know if I would ever have become aware of it otherwise. In many respects it's a melancholy tale dealing with heartache and loss, but counterbalanced by scenes of the young Tommy (Luke-Ward Wilkinson) making new friends in a new town and getting involved in the kind of mischief a youngster often finds himself in. The nativity set that serves as the dynamic for bringing the McDowell's together with Jonathan Toomey (Tom Berenger) also inspires the hermit woodcarver to re-evaluate his own life given the personal loss that's only alluded to briefly at the very beginning and end of the story. The attentive viewer will come away reminded that there are such things as happy sheep, proud cows and important angels that can help us connect with fellow travelers on this mortal coil. Set aside an evening for a family viewing of this heartening tale to recapture that Christmas spirit one more time.

Lovely film, for the season or anytime, with good values

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
23 February 2011

Susan (Joely Richardson) and her young son, Thomas (Luke Ward-Wilkinson) have just moved to a country town in post World War I England. Sadly, the lady's husband has died in the war and his business went under, too. So, its a change of fortune and Thomas is bitterly disappointed with his new abode in an aunt's home. His biggest difficulty is that he had to leave his treasured nativity set behind, the one that he and his papa put out every Christmas, just the two of them. However, time can heal hearts and the young lad finds some new, caring friends. Also, Susan learns to cook better and adapt to her present life as well. One day, on a dare, Thomas bangs on the door of a reclusive woodcarver, Toomey (Tom Berenger), and disturbs him. When his mother finds out, she hurries the lad over to apologize. Once there, she is curiously interested in the gruff man and it is the same for him, eyeing her. So, Susan arranges for Mr. Toomey to carve a new nativity for Thomas and to let Thomas learn and watch the art of woodcarving. Can something magical happen in the lives of three little people? This is quite a beautiful film, in story, in acting, and in character. The old-fashioned virtues that we all aspire to, patience and hard work, are front and center in this wonderful film. But, there is still room for laughs and love in the tale, too. Richardson and Berenger make a very unusually nice couple and all of the other actors do fine work. Also, the glimpse into a forgotten world is extremely nice, too, for its great fun to see the old costumes and customs. If you are looking for an exceptional Christmas film to show to everyone on the block and inside the house, there are few better than this one. But, why wait until December? This makes for good viewing, no matter if its spring, summer vacation, or apple picking time.

a carving of wood connects 3 peoples lives in a spirited story for the season a good will

Author: 2karl- from Ireland
9 December 2015

this film features saoirse ronan in one of the best Xmas films in a long time which is about giving others a second chance this has tom berenger and joely Richardson this heartwarming story is based on a children's book that came out in 2008 when a broken hearted boy loses his wooden nativity that links his dead father who was in the the ww1 his worried mother as a loner who carves wood who is ill tempered to create a replacement and for him to allow her son to watch this woodcarver loneliness stems from the pain of his own past but together they form a bond and heal the wounds of the past the boy ask for greater and more difficult demands on this man who lives in his wood cabin in the forest with hi patience being tested and Xmas around the corner it snows and it helps all the people in this warm cozy film its a short film about 1hr30mins but its moving

This is a great Christmas movie for all ages!

Author: ellenamadison from United States
17 November 2015

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is a Christmas film, that shows us how to love others in many ways. This movie is a great non-rated film with morals and it has something for all ages!

Tom Berenger does a wonderful job playing a gloomy Jonathan Toomey. Children make fun of his sad disposition, but when you learn more about the man, you understand why he is downcast. Jonathan is a widower, who lost his wife and baby son and he is a very lonely man.

Jonathan's life gradually changes in a positive way, when he mets Thomas, played by Luke Ward Wilkerson, and the boy's mother, Susan McDowel, played by Joely Richardson. These two come into the man's life, after Thomas's father is killed in a war.

The lonely threesome become friends, when Jonathan agrees to make a wooden nativity set for Thomas. Their relationships are strained at first, but later on Jonathan warms up to Thomas, after the boy is sweetly particular about how the manger characters should be carved.

During the cute movie, other relationships build with Thomas and other children, and his mom and lovable aunt. (The aunt thinks that she lost her husband in the war, but later we find out that he was just lost in action for awhile.) The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey was very well done, except that I would like to have heard more religious Christmas music in the movie. Also, I did not enjoy the whiny country singer at the closing of the film. However, the movie still deserves a 9 out of 10, because the story was very well developed and it shows how the love of Jesus can make a positive difference in people's lives. The top stars in this movie are really Jesus, our Lord and Savior, and a caring, sweet boy, Thomas!

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is a great film!

Author: carlbressett from United States
7 November 2015

Why doesn't the Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey have a higher rating? In my opinion, this Christmas movie is a wonderful 9! I encourage the makers of this great movie to be just a bit bolder in telling folks what Christmas is really about. Jesus is mentioned in the movie, but mostly as a baby Jesus. Let's tell others the whole story about Christ and why He is the risen Savior!

It would be so awesome, if the producer made a sequel to the Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, showing Jonathan praying to receive the Messiah, as his Lord and Savior!

My wife, Connie loved the Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, also, but she would love to see a sequel that shows Jonathan marrying Thomas's mother and becoming a great stepfather to the sweet lad.

I recommend others buy this movie, because it is truly heartwarming and it would make a great Christmas gift. As other reviewers have said, it's really a touching film. I join the chorus of those who appreciate that it is a non-rated gem for all ages!

An Entertaining, great Christmas movie!

Author: owenswayne from United States
29 September 2015

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is a wonderful movie! It is a moving story about a mother and son, who lose the father in a war. They must sell their pretty city home soon after this,and move from the boy's sweet grandparents.

They travel to live with an aunt on a farm, who is also struggling financially, because her husband has been reported as missing in action. Their adjustments are not easy, but a few situations are really hilarious!

Luke Ward-Wilkinson is Thomas in this movie. He does an outstanding performance and he is very likable. All of the actors do a wonderful job in their roles. Mr. Berenger, as Mr. Toomey, the woodcarver is really great! This heartwarming story shows how a sweet lad can melt the hearts of even the grumpiest, gloomiest people and how caring and love can change the lives of lonely people in a miraculous way. This movie has been very under-rated by some people. It's a Christmas story that everyone should see. It's full of surprises and it is a beautiful Christmas story!

Bill Clark, thank you for making this very special film. Please make more films like this one, that are non-rated, wholesome entertainment! May God richly Bless you, as you put his love into your future productions!

A great, heartwarming Christmas movie!

Author: may_curtis from United States
18 August 2015

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is a touching, sweet movie about people, tragedies, Christmas and the miracles that can uplift us and make us smile, again! Most of us can relate to this story in some way. (My dad died less then two weeks before Christmas, when I was only 12 years old.) When we lose loved ones near a holiday, or on another special day, this makes it tough to celebrate these special days in subsequent years. The sad memories can overwhelm us! However, we can be conquerors of depression, when we shift our focus on the needs of others, and when we pray to God for help, strength and comfort.

Although there are sad scenes, there are many happy and funny scenes. This movie is about how faith, love and goodwill can rebuild the lives of people and give them hope and new beginnings! This is a movie for children and adults. It's entertaining and it will make you smile. Yes, we can have happy endings and this sweet movie shows this! Buy this for yourself and get more copies to give to others! Jesus is the reason for the season and this movie shows this!