Jesse Stone: Night Passage (TV Movie 2006) Poster

(2006 TV Movie)

A good role for Selleck
adesalme25 January 2006
I looked forward to the first Jesse Stone film with positive anticipation, being a big fan of Robert Parker's books and brilliant written dialogue. I thought some younger actor who plays "outwardly stoic, inwardly thoughtful" like Viggo Mortenson or maybe a Chris Noth type would probably be cast, and was pleasantly surprised by Selleck. The questions Parker poses in the running dialogue between Stone and his estranged wife in the books seem a bit "young" for someone Selleck's actual age, but he is able to play 10-15 years younger than himself, making it all quite believable. The good work continued in this film, and Selleck especially tosses off the Parker dialogue very believably. (If you don't recognize or appreciate what I mean about the dialogue, pick any consecutive three or so of the Spenser novels and read them in order; the economy, wit, and "realness" of the dialogue is not often matched in current writing.) The next film should be fun!
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Acceptable and interesting series about a former L.A. cop who relocates to Paradise as a Police Chief
ma-cortes7 September 2012
¨Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Night Passage¨ deals with an L.A. cop who goes to a small town only to find a mystery after the other , intervening in a domestic abuse case and a killing . Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) is a tough, but worn-out Police Chief . Former LA policeman , who relocates to Paradise, Massachusetts after leaving the duty due to a drinking problem . He buys a secluded house where he lives with his senior hound dog that suffers an illness . While the Police Chief Jesse Stone's relationship with his ex-wife worsens and he fears he will relapse into alcoholism , to get his mind off his problems, Jesse begins working on the unsolved murder . Meantime , Jessie becomes romantically involved with a local advocate in law (Polly Shannon) . He soon becomes complicated with a case of domestic violence whose husband (Stephen Baldwin) holds a serious criminal behavior , connected to the mob .

This agreeable story results to be a prequel to 'Stone Cold,' , here Tom Selleck reprises his role as Jesse Stone , an almost-retired and drunk policeman . Very good acting by veteran Tom Selleck , he plays as an ex- L.A. cop who becomes Chief in the small coastal town and find himself immersed in mysteries and murders . Support cast is frankly excellent as Saul Rubinek as Hastings Hathaway , Viola Davis as Molly Crane , Kohl Sudduth as Luther 'Suitcase' , Polly Shannon as attorney Abby Taylor , Stephanie March as Cissy Hathaway , Mike Starr as Lou Carson and Stephen McHattie as captain Healy . Atmospheric and appropriate musical score by Jeff Beal . Colorful and sunny cinematography by David Gribble . This TV picture was professionally directed by Robert Harmon , though with no originality , being sometimes slow-moving and predictable . Harmon has directed a bunch of made-for-TV movies which include the excellent biopics "Gotti" and "Ike: Countdown to D-Day" . His greatest hit smash was the psycho horror knockout title "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer . Robert made a welcome return to the horror genre with the creepy "They" and contributed another worthy addition to the "danger on the road" sub-genre with the brutal and nerve-wracking "Highwaymen." More recently Robert Harmon has directed starring Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone is this enjoyable series .

This several gritty and superior made-for-TV crime mystery drama series was formed by 8 chapters , these are the following : Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Sea Change" 2. Jesse Stone: Crímenes en Boston (2010) (TV) aka "Jesse Stone: No Remorse" - USA 3 "Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Thin Ice" - UK (complete title), 4. "Robert B. Parker's Stone Cold" - UK (complete title), USA (complete title) "Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise" - USA (original title) , aka "Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise" - Australia, UK (complete title), USA (complete title¨) ; 6 "Jesse Stone: Night Passage" - USA (original title) , 7 "Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost (2011) (TV) and Jesse Stone: Benefit of doubt (2012) .
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie!
TheUnknown837-125 January 2006
I saw this on television and was just blown away by its entertainment. Unlike some of Tom Selleck's other films, this doesn't have an enormous amount of action, but it is fun. It has a great mystery story behind it and very intense drama. Nearly heart-breaking.

Naturally, we all like Tom Selleck's character the best. His character is just so hilarious, but not at the point where he would be considered a comedic character. I love his smart-alec comments and lines.

Stephan Baldwin co-stars in this movie and he did a great job at his role. And I think I recognized one of the others as Saul Rubinek. Although I'm not sure yet.

Overall, a great mystery/cop movie. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of Tom Selleck.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fine prequel to 'Stone Cold'
vchimpanzee18 January 2006
At the start of this movie based on the first Robert B. Parker novel about Jesse Stone, the former Los Angeles detective is mistaken for a vagrant on the beach in Santa Monica. He has to explain to a cop that he also is--or was--a cop.

Meanwhile, in the quiet coastal town of Paradise, Massachusetts, police chief Lou Carson (Mike Starr) is celebrating his retirement.

When we see Jesse again, he is crossing the country with his hound dog Boomer, and trying not to drink.

If you have seen the TV movie 'Stone Cold', based on another Parker novel, you know what comes next. The question is: how does Jesse go from drunken bum to the new police chief of Paradise? The answer may be related to the meeting between Lou and Hasty Hathaway, the banker and town administrator, beside a rusting ship tied up at a dock--and the envelope full of cash. This secret conversation may also have a connection to the murder that serves as a primary plot line for the movie.

Having worked in the big city, Jesse does things the way he is used to--much to the dismay of town attorney Abby Taylor (Polly Shannon).

Molly (Viola Crane) is the dispatcher, insisting she is a police officer and not a secretary. The other officers are Anthony D'Angelo (Vito Rezza) and Luther Simpson (Kohl Sudduth), who gets nicknamed 'Suitcase' by Jesse. Hathaway's wife Cissy (Stephanie March) doesn't seem happy with her marriage.

Tom Selleck does a fine job once again as Jesse. His character is confident yet pleasant, intelligent but flawed. He vows not to drink--on the job. One of his best scenes is with troubled teen Michele, whose parents are divorcing, though her abusive father Joe (Stephen Baldwin) insists on remaining close to the family, and he is mysterious about how he makes a living. Saul Rubinek does a good job as Hasty.

This is not an exciting movie, and certainly not the type of movie where one would expect car chases and explosions. In fact, it is not really a murder mystery, though solving the murder does take up more time than any of the other plot lines. The main purpose of the movie is to introduce the characters. Despite the movie's slow pace, I found it entertaining mainly because of Jesse. There is some comedy, and violence is minimal. The language and sexual talk make this inappropriate for young children, though prime-time network TV offers far worse.

I happen to know there will be at least one more Jesse Stone movie, and I look forward to it.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Let's cast more Stones!
myles-145 November 2006
Tom Selleck was great as Magnum and is more appealing than ever as Jesse Stone. The two TV-movies made so far with this character have been top-notch in story, characters and mood--very watchable and enjoyable. I believe they've done gangbusters in ratings, too, so let's hope there are more of these to come. Stone is a wonderful character and so far he's had great casting and good writing to back him up. The Stone character is the creation of mystery writer Robert B. Parker. I haven't read the novels, but Parker himself has been interviewed and he had nothing but great things to say about Selleck's performance and how well he nailed the character, who's tough, ironic, smart, wry, funny. Also enjoyed the production values, moody atmosphere and Vancouver (I think) settings, not to mention a couple of very pretty, well-cast ladies. More, more!
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Anti-Hero is Born
Claudio Carvalho19 August 2007
In Santa Monica, California, the former detective Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) moves to Paradise, Massachusetts with his old dog Boomer, after having drinking problem on duty. He is invited by the Paradise's powerful counselor Hastings Hathaway (Saul Runinek) to be the substitute for the former Chief Lou Carson (Mike Starr), who had an earlier retirement. In his first assignment, he hits the abusive husband Joe Genest (Stephen Baldwyn), who has not respected a restraint order. The local attorney Abby Taylor (Polly Shannon) visits him after the incident and they have an affair. When Lou is killed, Chief Jesse Stone suspects of the mobster Joe and Hastings, and plots a situation trying to disclose the truth.

After the successful "Stone Cold", it was released in Brazil its sequence "Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise", with another great story of this flawed, but efficient chief of police. Now the prequel of "Stone Cold" is finally released, showing how this anti-hero was born, coming from a big city to a small town where the dwellers are aware of everything that happens. The engaging story shows Jesse and his drinking problem, dealing with a troubled teenager; with the initial suspicion of his policemen; with the murder of the former chief; with a domestic problem and an abusive husband; with his ex-wife and his new girlfriend; and with his sick dog. I believe the greatest attraction of this melancholic story is its simplicity, with credible characters and situations and great performances. Tom Selleck is fantastic in the best role of his career. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Crimes no Paraíso: Travessia Noturna" ("Crimes in Paradise: Night Cross")
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jesse Stone is as good as Spencer.
Sandijobama3 April 2006
I really enjoy all of Tom Selleck's work and now I add This movie to my list. I bought the DVD of Stone Cold and I'm wanting to know when "NIGHT PASSAGE" will be released. Keep them coming, good entertainment is hard to find these days.I understand there may be a third Jesse Stone story so I will look forward to that as well. I have read most all of Robert B. Parkers books and the Spenser series was my favorite,Now I hope he takes off on Jesse Stone and gives us another series to love. Tom Selleck was perfect for the part of Jesse Stone and the town of Paradise,Mass.seemed to be a good choice too. I'm Hoping someone can tell me when I can start watching for a release date so I can add this movie to my collection. Tom Selleck is a very versatile performer as he can be Monte Walsh in one film and do a great job and Jesse Stone in this film and be just as great. I hope everyone enjoyed this actor as much as I do.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best reasons we don't go to a 'theatre' anymore
Bob Shank25 August 2011
Comments not just for 'Night Passage': My wife and I have quickly noticed a recent ground-swell of others who've keenly picked up on this wonderful CBS-released series with Tom Selleck, Kathy Baker and the ever-entertaining Kohl Sudduth as 'Suit(case)' Simpson. The scripts, dialogs, excellent camera-work, the wonderful lighting, directing, staging ...and the supreme mood created with Jeff Beal's superb music, all set a complete and satisfying tone for enjoying one of the, IMHO, best series ever produced for television, bar none. Selleck, in his maturity, is a great performer in character (he has done so well in recent westerns - which we rarely get to see enough of from today's 'Wacky' Follywood!) and as the 'recovering' scotch-drinking sheriff in the sleepy-but-up-tight New England town he slides into from his former LA police job on his 'last stop', his character lives up to the ideal that Robert Parker must have envisioned in his books. Sandie and I encourage you to try out some of television's best in today's cocky world with the 'Jesse Stone' series. Quality is still among us, believe it or not, and we believe you'll be very pleasantly surprised with the efforts. We now own all 7 DVDs including 'Innocence Lost', and watch them frequently when we need to get away from the world from time-to-time. I, personally, think you'll find them 'timeless.' Watch 'Jesse Stone' - become a believer again.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
love the soundtrack!
wartshire18 June 2008
This is the best movie soundtrack I've heard in a long time, very primitive, makes the blood rush! How can we get a copy of this music? Tom Selleck is excellent as Jesse Stone. He is his usual charismatic self - likened to Cary Grant - with his easy mannerisms and tongue-in-cheek humor. He plays Jesse Stone as easy and believable as he did Magnum in much younger days. Not overly talkative - that's where the excellent soundtrack/music comes in - telling as much of the story as the characters. Cozy town, humble chief of police; reminds you of the coastal town of Murder She Wrote. He doesn't have to prove anything to me, I've been a fan from the beginning; but here's hoping the Jesse Stone series continues.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sellek very good as flawed antihero
wwc-johnb18 January 2006
This was very good for a TV movie. Tom Sellek played a likable but deeply flawed character, which is a refreshing change to his squeaky clean image. Reminded me a little of a more dramatic version of Jim Rockford. His attraction for women was a bit over done, with several babes literally flinging themselves at him as soon as they meet. Also a bit unrealistic that this small, somewhat rural MA town has several truly knock out women. However, that is a general TV tendency, which I would not dump specifically on this movie.

The movie dragged a little at times, but was well acted and suspenseful. Sellek showed some dramatic acting chops several times, especially when dealing with calls from his ex-wife and the death of his dog. Supporting cast was also good, with their response to the new (drunk) sheriff realistically portrayed. Would make an excellent pilot for a series, which may be the intent.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
introduces the characters
blanche-225 May 2016
From 2006, Jesse Stone: Night Passage introduces us to the characters in the subsequent films, and shows how Jesse came to be Sheriff of Paradise.

When the beloved Sheriff Lou Carson (Mike Starr) retires, Jesse Stone, who lost his job with LA Homicide for drinking on the job, is invited to interview. Jesse loads his dog Boomer into his truck and drives from LA to Massachusetts in order to interview. When he lands the job, he's instantly suspicious. "I wouldn't hire me," he says.

He uncovers corruption, which ultimately leads to murders.

Viola Davis is Molly Crane, who works in the Sheriff's office, as does Suitcase (Kohl Sudduth), Hasty Hathaway (Saul Rubinek) is head of the town council responsible for hiring Stone; Stephen Baldwin is wife beater and general bad guy Joe Genest; and Polly Shannon (Abby Taylor) is a woman Stone is seeing.

The Stone films are dark, and this one is especially sad. Good performances, though I'm not sure I would have cast Tom Selleck in such a dour part. He's always likable, but I'm not sure he's creating a specific character here, rather, just a generic depressed person.
Paradise postponed
Prismark1011 December 2015
Jesse Stone: Night Passage is the second film in the series of the Jesse Stone adaptations but it is actually a prequel as we learn how Jesse Stone became the new police chief of the quiet coastal town of Paradise, Massachusetts from the west coast of LA.

Paradise police chief Lou Carson (Mike Starr) is celebrating his retirement and plans to go off for a different life. Jesse Stone is crossing the country from LA with his hound dog and struggling with his alcoholism. However Lou Carson is not squeaky clean and ends up being dead.

Jesse Stone is getting to grips in his new role as the police chief and now has to investigate his predecessor's death, a violent husband an a shady local businessman, Hasty Hathaway (Saul Rubinek.)

As with these type of films, all three are connected to each other. Tom Selleck enjoys gazing out to the distance in this slow burn drama where the story takes its time to unravel but you know it is all predictable.

Future Oscar nominee Viola Davis is one of the police officers in Paradise and even though he is a burnt out drunk, Jesse Stone still manages to charm the local attorney.
The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078
Tss507810 August 2014
For those unfamiliar, Jesse Stone is the legendary, fictional, Police Chief in the small town of Paradise, Massachusetts, created by Robert B. Parker. The Jesse Stone franchise has spawned over a dozen novels and eight feature films. While being the first book in the series, strangely enough, Night Passage was the second movie shot, and the third one released. It seems odd, but Night Passage is more of an introduction to the character and the town. If this were a TV series, it would have been the pilot, but when you're trying to start a film franchise, you want to start it off with a film that hits harder and is more memorable, the way Stone Cold was. As for Night Passage, it introduces audiences to Jesse Stone, as he leaves L.A. a disgraced homicide detective, with an alcohol problem, coming on the heals of a divorce. Stone drives across the country in hopes of taking over the seemingly easy job of being a Chief in a small town, but he quickly learns that Paradise is not your ordinary small town. Tom Selleck stars and was the obvious choice to play Stone, because the man has been playing a cop for almost forty years! Unlike many of those other Policemen, Stone is more withdrawn and uses his experience to take care of business, so he can go home to his dog and his alcohol. Each story centers around a crime, but also has a secondary story, Night Passage is no different as Stone must deal with a homicide, and a domestic situation that has torn a family apart. Similar to the other films, they get big names to co-star and in Night Passage we get Academy Award Winner, Viola Davis, and Stephen Baldwin. These guess stars, along with deep characters, and complex stories are the difference between the Stone films and a TV series. While Jesse Stone would transfer into a tremendous TV series, you wouldn't get the same feel that you do from the films. The world of Jesse Stone is a cold, dark one. He must do his job while battle his own demons at the same time. With a perfect leading man, coming from some very well written novels, the Jesse Stone films have been a treat, and Night Passage is where it all started. I'd highly recommend getting into the series, but watch the films in order of the novels, not in the order the films were released.
Excellent
SanteeFats1 February 2014
This is a very good movie. Tom Selleck is a fired LAPD homicide detective. He was fired for being drunk on the job probably because of his divorce. He gets the job as police chief in a small Massachusetts but only because the local powers think he is a has been. Gee are they wrong!! This is kind of a slow moving movie as the backgrounds are being developed for the rest of the movies to come (even though this was the second one aired). Stephan Baldwin plays a really good "a hole" of a punk. He thinks he is a real tough guy but he really doesn't know tough. As the movie goes along Tom finds a very nice love interest in Polly Shannon the town attorney. I found the saddest part of the film to be when Boomer (Tom's dog) has to be put down due to renal failure. It is a touching scene. The ending is pretty nice, the baddies are brought to justice i.e. one killed and one arrested plus the cops come out on top. I really enjoy all the Jesse Stone movies
Not Sure On Sequential Order Of Titles
gsuburban15 August 2011
Stone Cold is shown as the original or first title released 2005. Then, comes Night Passage the following year 2006. His first dog Boomer is in the second release as Jesse travels from L.A. to MA while the first release of Stone Cold includes his second dog Reggie who he adopted from a murder victim. In addition, Abby is featured in Stone Cold, the first release where she is murdered then, the second release entitled Night Passage, Abby stars with Jesse and carries out a relationship with him. Are we in agreement on this I hope? I prefer to watch these "out of order" as the story line follows best.

All of these titles are wonderful. The director, music and the no rushed scenes with great story lines of clear content which paves a clear story onto the next title.
A New Sheriff In Paradise
bkoganbing19 May 2011
In this prequel movie Jesse Stone: Night Passage we learn how Jesse Stone became the new police chief of Paradise, Massachusetts. Tom Selleck has not yet begun to deal with his alcohol problem and in fact his police instincts are aroused when the town council actually hires him when he shows up with booze on his breath.

The first two cases that Selleck deals with are linked. He goes to a domestic dispute where Stephen Baldwin is not honoring a restraining order against his estranged wife. Selleck nails him below decks to get his attention and make a point. Then Mike Starr the former police chief of Paradise is found dead off a cliff at the ocean shore in his car. It takes a while to determine, but these cases are inextricably linked.

Tom Selleck shows a considerable range and maturity in age and craft as he plays Jesse Stone. This is not a perfect and he's a most serious individual, light years away from flip detective Thomas Magnum.

The rest of the characters from the town including the other three members of the police force, Viola Davis, Kohl Sudduth, and Vito Rezza are all introduced. As is town attorney Polly Shannon who begins a long term relationship with Selleck.

Fans of Robert B. Parker novels and of Tom Selleck should be very pleased with this film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jesse's first ever encounter with the Paradise.
Reno Rangan14 October 2016
The second film in the Jesse Stone franchise, technically this is where the series begins, because this is a prequel and based on the first book by Robert B. Parker. We have seen in some films, they begin the story like, perhaps with a robbery and then go back to tell us how it all began. Because they want a strong opening, so that's quite a convincingly unorthodox way to begin. The same theory was applied for this film series like the recent animation 'Tintin', that they started with the fourth book which had a more interesting element to get the big viewers.

So we're back to the origins with this and it is obviously slow, but that's how the introductions work. In the previous film I did not know how deep the Jesse's connection with the Paradise. Likewise, many doubts were cleared after watching this. The tale begins with the Jesse's cross country road trip. After the days of journey finally he arrives the Paradise. Meanwhile, you will learn why he got transferred to a small town in the New England's coastline, besides it also reveals his personal issues like divorce and alcohol addiction.

It is a new beginning for him, and he's prepared to turn his life around from all the recent hits. He's not young unlike in the book, he's not stylish either like Sherlock or Poirot, just an ordinary cop, but he deals with all the police work on his own way. He was replaced by the day before retired another young police chief and Paradise is looking forward for his service. But looks he already made an enemy while dealing a small domestic violence and when he receives the news of the ex-cop was killed, his first ever case quietly enters a probe.

If you are a dog lover, be prepared for an emotional event. Once I had a dog, so I know how it all ends. Those parts were underdeveloped, but it does not matter if you love pets. I think it was one of the best additions to bring the sentiments while Jesse was hurt by his failed marriage which we won't feel as he does. Because we know enough him since, at which point he was introduced to us, but we don't know anything about his past, particularly married life or the ex-wife or as a big city cop.

"I'm not in the right and wrong business. I'm in the legal and illegal business."

The film came ten years ago, but still today it feels fresh. Slow narration, but nicely made film with the wonderful performances. Tom Selleck was good as he was in the previous one and the rest of the cast well supported him. Viola Davis' one of the earlier work in her acting career, but not a big role, not in the first two films, so lets see how her role shapes up in the remaining ones. As well, for Britt Robertson, who was so young, appeared as a troubled teenager girl and I doubt her return in the next film.

In this story, the crime solving was a small part. The Narration had other stuffs to focus on like familiarising everybody and the place to the viewers. At a time the search for the killer unintentionally takes a twist. Like Jesse's cop instinct leads the way to nab him, but how he does it, with whom help, place, time, all come into the effect the tale to end on a high.

The Jesse Stone was kind of depressing, maybe that is another reason why this film was not the first in the series as it should be, but most of the viewers judge him or the film for his great work. I annoyed by Jesse when he calls his colleague 'suitcase' and I'm happy the point was brought in, but the given reason was not convincing enough. I hope it will be resolved in the other films, because a great personality like him (of course a fictional character) should not degrade himself with those silly remarks for others.

I liked it so far in the series for being simple, particularly not making any hype on any characters, crime or even there's no hurry in the developments or to bring in the edgy moments, which is very essential for a cop film. That's obviously a cliché, but the film avoided it carefully until it's needed. Calm and coolly reaches where it is heading like a bit of realistic touch, but cinematic feel is there.

And regarding the crime, once again, for the second consecutive time the film did not hold back the identity of the killer. It was not intended to be a mystery crime-drama, but from the perspective of cop who knows nothing about the suspect hold the key for the entire development till it ends. So I can't compare it with any similar genius detective characters' films.

Overall a good follow-up film, but I don't think everybody would be happy as they were for the first film. Maybe after this, watching again the 'Stone Cold' seems not a bad idea, or if you have not begun watching this series then I suggest to begin with this, followed by the first and the original order for the remaining. There won't be any complication to follow, because it would give us a clean flow of the story to get involved. I think if you like slow presentation you will enjoy it. It is just a second film, there's a long way to go, so then lets we meet in the third film.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awkward Casting/Unexplained Depression
wildcats7626 December 2011
Tom Selleck is 66 now, and close to that during this series. I like him, but he is too old for this character. At most, it should have been a guy maybe 50 or 55. Although granted, I don't know how old the character is in the book series.

They never tell us why he is so depressed, and why he started drinking. I like a little mystery, but at some point, you have to let us know what the hell is going on, or we can't empathize with the character. O.K., L.A. cops drink. But they can still have a personality.

If I met a guy who gave one word answers, and answered questions with another question, I would want to punch him. Either Selleck is overdoing this stoicism, or the Director is.

As far as girls 30 and 40 years younger, throwing themselves at him, I suppose it's possible. He's tall, rugged, and mysterious, but the guy is a total loser. Rather than have people constantly ask if his lady friends are too young for him, wny not just make the character a little younger?

Having said all that, I do like the atmosphere, the character development of other characters, some of the dialogue, and the plot line. It just could have been so much better, with more background on the main character, and a younger actor, for believability.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Goodmovie but not same as book
lguard24 October 2006
While this was a pretty good movie, as a fan of Parkers series ( Jesse Stone, Spencer, Sunny Randall) I was a little disappointed the movie didn't have the same plot as the book. Those who've read it know what I'm talking about; those who haven't , get ready for a spoiler. In the movie Steven Baldwin was an abusive husband who was mob connected, and that's about it. The book is quite different. Jesse Stone was hired as police chief of Paradise, Ma. by the town council because they needed a puppet they could pull ( the previous chief got nervous and was sent packing). The reason is the town elders ( including some cops) are a bunch of white supremacists who are planning a revolution. The previous chief in fact is killed in the Midwest. The town elders know about Jesse and his drinking problem; that's why they hired him but he turns around and straightens himself up (somewhat) surprising them. He disrupts their plot. Part of the story also includes a weightlifting muscle head who's a real thug. Jesse runs into him early on and deals with him throughout the book. This thug along with a town elder even goes to Boston to buy weapons for the revolution from mafioso Gino Fish ( from the Spenser series) but gets ripped off. Eventually he kills a woman (or 2) in Paradise which Jesse solves, thus turning him into a cooperative witness. There were some scenes straight from the book ( especially the opening scene on Santa Monica Beach where Jesse is thinking about his future and his past when the cops question him) but the major plot change made me less than thrilled. Still, the acting helped bring this movie up.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I had no idea that Selleck was involved in...........
I watched this movie last night, a year after it originally came out. I believe it was on CBS. I had no idea that Selleck was involved in another TV series. Well, at least a TV series of movies. I have often wondered why it has taken him so long to get back into television. Having not read any of Parkers's books, I cannot comment on the plots in any of these Jesse Stone movies. I would, however, like to suggest that this series may want to follow a storyline similar to the old Route 66 with George Maharis and Martin Milner, with Stone as a retired drifter cop getting himself involved in situations as he travels the country and then assisting law enforcement in a behind-the-shadows way. When one crime is solved he moves on to another but never settling down.
2 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this