IMDb > Jesse Stone: Night Passage (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jesse Stone: Night Passage (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great movie!

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
25 January 2006

I saw this on television and was just blown away by its entertainment. Unlike some of Tom Selleck's other films, this doesn't have an enormous amount of action, but it is fun. It has a great mystery story behind it and very intense drama. Nearly heart-breaking.

Naturally, we all like Tom Selleck's character the best. His character is just so hilarious, but not at the point where he would be considered a comedic character. I love his smart-alec comments and lines.

Stephan Baldwin co-stars in this movie and he did a great job at his role. And I think I recognized one of the others as Saul Rubinek. Although I'm not sure yet.

Overall, a great mystery/cop movie. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you're a fan of Tom Selleck.

Fine prequel to 'Stone Cold'

Author: vchimpanzee from NC
18 January 2006

At the start of this movie based on the first Robert B. Parker novel about Jesse Stone, the former Los Angeles detective is mistaken for a vagrant on the beach in Santa Monica. He has to explain to a cop that he also is--or was--a cop.

Meanwhile, in the quiet coastal town of Paradise, Massachusetts, police chief Lou Carson (Mike Starr) is celebrating his retirement.

When we see Jesse again, he is crossing the country with his hound dog Boomer, and trying not to drink.

If you have seen the TV movie 'Stone Cold', based on another Parker novel, you know what comes next. The question is: how does Jesse go from drunken bum to the new police chief of Paradise? The answer may be related to the meeting between Lou and Hasty Hathaway, the banker and town administrator, beside a rusting ship tied up at a dock--and the envelope full of cash. This secret conversation may also have a connection to the murder that serves as a primary plot line for the movie.

Having worked in the big city, Jesse does things the way he is used to--much to the dismay of town attorney Abby Taylor (Polly Shannon).

Molly (Viola Crane) is the dispatcher, insisting she is a police officer and not a secretary. The other officers are Anthony D'Angelo (Vito Rezza) and Luther Simpson (Kohl Sudduth), who gets nicknamed 'Suitcase' by Jesse. Hathaway's wife Cissy (Stephanie March) doesn't seem happy with her marriage.

Tom Selleck does a fine job once again as Jesse. His character is confident yet pleasant, intelligent but flawed. He vows not to drink--on the job. One of his best scenes is with troubled teen Michele, whose parents are divorcing, though her abusive father Joe (Stephen Baldwin) insists on remaining close to the family, and he is mysterious about how he makes a living. Saul Rubinek does a good job as Hasty.

This is not an exciting movie, and certainly not the type of movie where one would expect car chases and explosions. In fact, it is not really a murder mystery, though solving the murder does take up more time than any of the other plot lines. The main purpose of the movie is to introduce the characters. Despite the movie's slow pace, I found it entertaining mainly because of Jesse. There is some comedy, and violence is minimal. The language and sexual talk make this inappropriate for young children, though prime-time network TV offers far worse.

I happen to know there will be at least one more Jesse Stone movie, and I look forward to it.

A good role for Selleck

Author: adesalme from United States
25 January 2006

I looked forward to the first Jesse Stone film with positive anticipation, being a big fan of Robert Parker's books and brilliant written dialogue. I thought some younger actor who plays "outwardly stoic, inwardly thoughtful" like Viggo Mortenson or maybe a Chris Noth type would probably be cast, and was pleasantly surprised by Selleck. The questions Parker poses in the running dialogue between Stone and his estranged wife in the books seem a bit "young" for someone Selleck's actual age, but he is able to play 10-15 years younger than himself, making it all quite believable. The good work continued in this film, and Selleck especially tosses off the Parker dialogue very believably. (If you don't recognize or appreciate what I mean about the dialogue, pick any consecutive three or so of the Spenser novels and read them in order; the economy, wit, and "realness" of the dialogue is not often matched in current writing.) The next film should be fun!

Let's cast more Stones!

Author: myles-14 from United States
5 November 2006

Tom Selleck was great as Magnum and is more appealing than ever as Jesse Stone. The two TV-movies made so far with this character have been top-notch in story, characters and mood--very watchable and enjoyable. I believe they've done gangbusters in ratings, too, so let's hope there are more of these to come. Stone is a wonderful character and so far he's had great casting and good writing to back him up. The Stone character is the creation of mystery writer Robert B. Parker. I haven't read the novels, but Parker himself has been interviewed and he had nothing but great things to say about Selleck's performance and how well he nailed the character, who's tough, ironic, smart, wry, funny. Also enjoyed the production values, moody atmosphere and Vancouver (I think) settings, not to mention a couple of very pretty, well-cast ladies. More, more!

An Anti-Hero is Born

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
19 August 2007

In Santa Monica, California, the former detective Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) moves to Paradise, Massachusetts with his old dog Boomer, after having drinking problem on duty. He is invited by the Paradise's powerful counselor Hastings Hathaway (Saul Runinek) to be the substitute for the former Chief Lou Carson (Mike Starr), who had an earlier retirement. In his first assignment, he hits the abusive husband Joe Genest (Stephen Baldwyn), who has not respected a restraint order. The local attorney Abby Taylor (Polly Shannon) visits him after the incident and they have an affair. When Lou is killed, Chief Jesse Stone suspects of the mobster Joe and Hastings, and plots a situation trying to disclose the truth.

After the successful "Stone Cold", it was released in Brazil its sequence "Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise", with another great story of this flawed, but efficient chief of police. Now the prequel of "Stone Cold" is finally released, showing how this anti-hero was born, coming from a big city to a small town where the dwellers are aware of everything that happens. The engaging story shows Jesse and his drinking problem, dealing with a troubled teenager; with the initial suspicion of his policemen; with the murder of the former chief; with a domestic problem and an abusive husband; with his ex-wife and his new girlfriend; and with his sick dog. I believe the greatest attraction of this melancholic story is its simplicity, with credible characters and situations and great performances. Tom Selleck is fantastic in the best role of his career. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Crimes no Paraíso: Travessia Noturna" ("Crimes in Paradise: Night Cross")

Jesse Stone is as good as Spencer.

Author: Sandijobama from United States
3 April 2006

I really enjoy all of Tom Selleck's work and now I add This movie to my list. I bought the DVD of Stone Cold and I'm wanting to know when "NIGHT PASSAGE" will be released. Keep them coming, good entertainment is hard to find these days.I understand there may be a third Jesse Stone story so I will look forward to that as well. I have read most all of Robert B. Parkers books and the Spenser series was my favorite,Now I hope he takes off on Jesse Stone and gives us another series to love. Tom Selleck was perfect for the part of Jesse Stone and the town of Paradise,Mass.seemed to be a good choice too. I'm Hoping someone can tell me when I can start watching for a release date so I can add this movie to my collection. Tom Selleck is a very versatile performer as he can be Monte Walsh in one film and do a great job and Jesse Stone in this film and be just as great. I hope everyone enjoyed this actor as much as I do.

Acceptable and interesting series about a former L.A. cop who relocates to Paradise as a Police Chief

Author: ma-cortes
7 September 2012

¨Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Night Passage¨ deals with an L.A. cop who goes to a small town only to find a mystery after the other , intervening in a domestic abuse case and a killing . Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) is a tough, but worn-out Police Chief . Former LA policeman , who relocates to Paradise, Massachusetts after leaving the duty due to a drinking problem . He buys a secluded house where he lives with his senior hound dog that suffers an illness . While the Police Chief Jesse Stone's relationship with his ex-wife worsens and he fears he will relapse into alcoholism , to get his mind off his problems, Jesse begins working on the unsolved murder . Meantime , Jessie becomes romantically involved with a local advocate in law (Polly Shannon) . He soon becomes complicated with a case of domestic violence whose husband (Stephen Baldwin) holds a serious criminal behavior , connected to the mob .

This agreeable story results to be a prequel to 'Stone Cold,' , here Tom Selleck reprises his role as Jesse Stone , an almost-retired and drunk policeman . Very good acting by veteran Tom Selleck , he plays as an ex- L.A. cop who becomes Chief in the small coastal town and find himself immersed in mysteries and murders . Support cast is frankly excellent as Saul Rubinek as Hastings Hathaway , Viola Davis as Molly Crane , Kohl Sudduth as Luther 'Suitcase' , Polly Shannon as attorney Abby Taylor , Stephanie March as Cissy Hathaway , Mike Starr as Lou Carson and Stephen McHattie as captain Healy . Atmospheric and appropriate musical score by Jeff Beal . Colorful and sunny cinematography by David Gribble . This TV picture was professionally directed by Robert Harmon , though with no originality , being sometimes slow-moving and predictable . Harmon has directed a bunch of made-for-TV movies which include the excellent biopics "Gotti" and "Ike: Countdown to D-Day" . His greatest hit smash was the psycho horror knockout title "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer . Robert made a welcome return to the horror genre with the creepy "They" and contributed another worthy addition to the "danger on the road" sub-genre with the brutal and nerve-wracking "Highwaymen." More recently Robert Harmon has directed starring Tom Selleck as Jesse Stone is this enjoyable series .

This several gritty and superior made-for-TV crime mystery drama series was formed by 8 chapters , these are the following : Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Sea Change" 2. Jesse Stone: Crímenes en Boston (2010) (TV) aka "Jesse Stone: No Remorse" - USA 3 "Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Thin Ice" - UK (complete title), 4. "Robert B. Parker's Stone Cold" - UK (complete title), USA (complete title) "Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise" - USA (original title) , aka "Robert B. Parker's Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise" - Australia, UK (complete title), USA (complete title¨) ; 6 "Jesse Stone: Night Passage" - USA (original title) , 7 "Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost (2011) (TV) and Jesse Stone: Benefit of doubt (2012) .

Intelligent, wise and sensitive cop still has his hangups and limitations

Author: msroz from United States
5 May 2012

Are there cops like Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck)? Very doubtful, or very doubtful there are many. There are too many horror stories of police brutality these days. But we do need examples of heroes, and Jesse Stone is one. He knows what to say and not say to win over a girl from a troubled marriage who could easily go wrong. He knows how to gain the respect of his department members. But clearly he did not know how to handle his affairs in LA, before he journeyed to a small Massachusetts town to become a police chief, for he arrives in quite an alcoholic condition. So, Jesse Stone is a kind of throwback to a long series of movieland good cops and good private detectives, incorruptible, alert, smart and stalwart who plow on despite their personal problems.

Night Passage may be viewed first in the series if one wants a chronological look at Jesse Stone that starts with his leaving LA and shows his settling in in the town of Paradise, Massachusetts. This is supposedly loosely based on Swampscott, which is about 15-20 miles from Boston. Swampscott has a Paradise Road that seems to have motivated the town's name.

It's not too far-fetched that the mob, known to inhabit various locales in and around Boston, might launder money in a nearby town. Well, at any rate, there have to be bad guys to challenge Jesse, who insists on being called Jesse.

The movie seamlessly interweaves characterizations of local people and of Jesse himself and his dog Boomer with the central crime story, the resolution of which leaves something to be desired, since it exposes Jesse to a risk that hardly seems plausible. But then this entry in the series focuses far more on character than on the crime story.

It's a pleasure to have a hero who understands people and thinks for himself.

love the soundtrack!

Author: wartshire from United States
18 June 2008

This is the best movie soundtrack I've heard in a long time, very primitive, makes the blood rush! How can we get a copy of this music? Tom Selleck is excellent as Jesse Stone. He is his usual charismatic self - likened to Cary Grant - with his easy mannerisms and tongue-in-cheek humor. He plays Jesse Stone as easy and believable as he did Magnum in much younger days. Not overly talkative - that's where the excellent soundtrack/music comes in - telling as much of the story as the characters. Cozy town, humble chief of police; reminds you of the coastal town of Murder She Wrote. He doesn't have to prove anything to me, I've been a fan from the beginning; but here's hoping the Jesse Stone series continues.

One of the best reasons we don't go to a 'theatre' anymore

Author: Bob Shank from United States
25 August 2011

Comments not just for 'Night Passage': My wife and I have quickly noticed a recent ground-swell of others who've keenly picked up on this wonderful CBS-released series with Tom Selleck, Kathy Baker and the ever-entertaining Kohl Sudduth as 'Suit(case)' Simpson. The scripts, dialogs, excellent camera-work, the wonderful lighting, directing, staging ...and the supreme mood created with Jeff Beal's superb music, all set a complete and satisfying tone for enjoying one of the, IMHO, best series ever produced for television, bar none. Selleck, in his maturity, is a great performer in character (he has done so well in recent westerns - which we rarely get to see enough of from today's 'Wacky' Follywood!) and as the 'recovering' scotch-drinking sheriff in the sleepy-but-up-tight New England town he slides into from his former LA police job on his 'last stop', his character lives up to the ideal that Robert Parker must have envisioned in his books. Sandie and I encourage you to try out some of television's best in today's cocky world with the 'Jesse Stone' series. Quality is still among us, believe it or not, and we believe you'll be very pleasantly surprised with the efforts. We now own all 7 DVDs including 'Innocence Lost', and watch them frequently when we need to get away from the world from time-to-time. I, personally, think you'll find them 'timeless.' Watch 'Jesse Stone' - become a believer again.