"Great Performances" Cream Reunion Concert (2005)

« Prev | 185 of 371 Episodes | Next »

Cream Never Looked & Sounded Better!

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
3 January 2007

Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker re-unite to play all their songs from 35 years ago when they formed a trio called "Cream." Those were the psychedelic days of England and America and these guys looked it: all skinny, very long hair, wild clothes and loud music. They played a combination of rock and blues and it was, for the most part, good stuff.

Well, these guys are now 60-something years old and they can still sing and play at a high level as this wonderful DVD concert disc shows us. I was always extremely familiar with Clapton, of course, who has never been out of the limelight, but I didn't know what to expect from Bruce and Baker, neither of whom I hadn't seen in decades. They surprised me. When he was young, Baker was so gaunt he looked like a speed freak near death. Now he looks healthy, in shape and his drum playing was solid. Bruce looked a bit haggard but his voice is great, as good as ever and a pleasure to hear on these old songs. This is just excellent material and performing from guys who know what they're doing.

Some people criticized this show for being low-key. I don't agree with that. I have no complaints. The concert sounded very good. The second song, "Spoonful," was outstanding, the highlight of the concert for me.

Highly recommended.

If Albert Hall were the" White Room", Cream certainly were "At The Station"

Author: Peter Walden from Brisbane Australia
2 April 2006

So often a band will get together for a re-union concert only to find that they just can't get it together. Not so here. This concert is just shear brilliance from start to finish. These three musicians obviously got together beforehand and plotted and planned what was needed to ensure this was not just a nostalgic bash to satisfy someone's ego. This is obvious from the start, before they even step on stage. Many faces in the crowd weren't even born when these guys first performed. From the first song they capture that old magic that was Cream, 3 men, 3 instruments, no fuss. Clapton, by his own admission, said he had to stretch himself for this concert because there were no keyboards, synthesizers etc so we get to see him at his best. Ginger Baker demonstrates why so many drummers today, speak of him as some sort of drumming guru. Jack Bruce just great. They really managed to put together a piece of magic that will stand the test of time for many years to come. This one's a 10 for me.

just a sheer rush of superlative nostalgia, only in the present

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
22 April 2006

I've loved all of Cream's work, even as there is such a small and precious catalog of work to take hold. Even when they go for as long as twenty minutes with some of their songs (Spoonful and Toad off of Wheels of Fire are prime examples) still rock the socks off of more than half of any given rock act working today. This power to gel on stage is given one of the most anticipate rock band reunions ever with their Royal Albert Hall shows last year. They may have gotten older, as have their fans, but the energy is still there, with the great arrangements of classic blues songs as well as their own. The renditions of White Room, Badge, Politician, Spoonful, Sunshine of Your Love, not one seems to miss a beat. Clapton's solos have a formation that he sometimes doesn't have when on stage with his solo band. Ginger Baker, enough said. Jack Bruce is sturdy enough with his vocals still with a kind of power that Clapton could never get on his own. Bottom line, if you want to see what were the best shows you wish you had seen last year (well, some may have seen them), it's all on this DVD, with cool special features.

Two disks of magic...

Author: (mamantea@earthlink.net)
18 July 2006

I caught a bit of this concert on public television and knew I had to have it. The boys give everyone at the Royal Albert an excellent, often thrilling performance complete in every way. Pure, too - no synth, no smoke-shrouded lasers and strobes, no grandiose entrance (and an unstoned, serious, and appreciative audience, all of whom left their bottle rockets at home).

If you're a Cream fan (or if you've only heard of them); if you're a blues fan; if you're a rock 'n' roll fan; you will not be disappointed when you view and listen to this DVD. You also will never lose this DVD because you'll never lend it to anyone. (This DVD justifies selfishness! Tell them to get their own!) It's too good and too replayable; you'll want to keep it within easy reach.

Regret buying this concert

Author: L F from United States
21 May 2013

What a wimpy guitar sound with strata and hotrod - compared to real Cream brown sound Gibson and Marshall.

Just not cream at all.

What is Clapton thinking doing this? Did he have a fallout with Gibson at some point? Didn't they pay enough?

But Clapton has a much better voice these days.

Opening act I'm glad should be I'm sad - really bad start. It's getting better though.

I recommend the farewell concert from 1968 instead. It's ended with I'm glad and then I was sad it was over.

it wasn't 'Cream'

Author: Lpccc from United States
19 May 2006

One cant help but admire 3 guys now in their mid-to-late 60's who gave it their physical All. Producing a nice piece of nostalgia, yet musically disappointing.

Bruce once the incarnation of a bass-genius, now barely standing upright after an organ transplant, reduced to an average player. With remnants of acceptable singing & harmonica.

Baker close to 70, once the driving force, now neurologically retarded, plagued by arthritis, hardly able to follow (not to speak of lead) lost it more than once in evry title.

And Clapton on a slow-pitched turntable to meet the smallest common denominator.

They played a selection of Bruce-compositions, surrounded by some blues-standards. And scored like any above average blues-band would have.

CREAM could not be re-united. CREAM wasn't just Baker-Bruce+Clapton, CREAM was a multiple of that. A phenomenon of 3 musicians at their peak, with almost telepathic understanding of a common goal, on their mission with unstoppable fierceness, unboundly innovative.

At these 'Reunions' we were neither looking AT, nor listening TO, anything even close to CREAM.

Strangely they DID accomplish something unexpected: by singling themselves out after each song, they once-and-for-all-time UN-tied the legend.

No need to remember where you were that day in '05 or '06 when they played the 'Royal Albert' or 'Madison Square'

Because it wasn't CREAM.