IMDb > "Jekyll" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jekyll"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jekyll" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

All TV shows... are commingled out of good and evil...

Author: Nine-Seven from England
17 June 2007

....Luckily this one is firmly planted in the 'good' category.

When I first heard the BBC was making a modern day adaptation I initially jumped for joy but deep worry set in later. The story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde has been redone so many times, I started asking many questions.

Will they do anything new with the story? Will James Nesbitt be able to carry off such an important role? Will there be a big enough gap between the good doctor and his other half? And finally, Will I be able to watch it the same night as Doctor Who to fill the gap 'Any Dream Will Do' left? The answer to all of these questions is 'YES'! I don't want to ruin it for anyone so I won't go into details but I felt this was a very good adaptation of the book. James Nesbitt showed the contrast between his characters perfectly. I was afraid that 6 episodes would be stretching the plot but the first episode certainly gave me more fodder for that small amount! There is a good mix of horror and humour, (Especially shown by two female private detectives.) and none of the characters really got on my nerves.

There were quite a few nods to the book, some were quite subtle and not too in-your-face but this adaptation has also taken a life of its own branching out into other areas. I would like it immensely if at one point Hyde sings 'You should see me dance the Polka' but I'll just have to wait and see. Hyde is the real star of the show of course and can be summed up in one word: Insane.

A lovely mix of Jack Nicholson, Beetleguese, The Mask and even Robin Williams in places, Nesbitt's Hyde is incredibly entertaining but gives you an underlying sense of terror. His lack of morals and love of life is refreshing as I personally feel there haven't been any 'good' baddies in a long while. My mind was made up as soon as Hyde made an appearance. I have a feeling he will make this show- I will definitely be tuning in next week and I sincerely hope you do too.

I hope both of you do.

Fantastic!

Author: Sian Gregory from United Kingdom
23 June 2007

This is a brilliant modern adaption of Jekyll and Hyde. The bbc are now on the 2nd episode out of 6 and its getting tenser and tenser and it is brilliant.

After recently studying Jekyll and Hyde this year for GCSE, this mini series really pays tribute to Stevenson's story.

Many adaptions portray Hyde and a mutated monster or something along these lines. However in the novel he is descibed has having a deformity about him which can't be explained. The suttle changes in this adaption really had an impact and aren't over whelming like the in the Michael Caine version...which was pure trash.

This is a truly brilliant piece of TV and i can't wait to watch the further episodes i would advise watching this, or if they come out on DVD definitely buy!!!!

Simply Excellent

Author: wolfmann-1 from United Kingdom
16 June 2007

Just watched the first of the series on the BBC. Was not sure what to expect as I had not seen any publicity leading up to the broadcast.

I was very pleasantly surprised. Not just with the slowly revealing dark tones of the plot but also with the underlying eroticism from both the female and male protagonists.

There is quite a lot of attention to detail which hand in hand with the competent acting makes this very believable and therefore watchable. I very much hope the same quality is maintained throughout the series.

I have to say that I like the choice of James Nesbitt in the lead role. Not only because he is an actor who demonstrates, very admirably, human frailty but also he can show that hard edged centre which is believably portrayed.

Looking forward, very much, to the next instalment.

A new, exciting piece of conspiracy drama for the BBC

Author: DVD_Connoisseur from England
16 June 2007

Steven Moffat's new thriller is a breath of fresh air for the BBC1 Saturday night evening post-"Casualty" slot. Beginning with super-sexy Michelle Ryan preparing the restraining straps on a chair, you just know this is going to be fun. Ryan is a delight and it comes as no surprise to learn she is the new "Bionic Woman".

The always-excellent James Nesbitt is the star of the show. As Jackman, Nesbitt plays a man who is living literally two separate lives. There's a thick air of mystery in the air and more than a scent of a conspiracy. His transformation into "Hyde" is genuinely unnerving.

The beautiful Gina Bellman has always had a place in my heart, ever since I watched Dennis Potter's puzzling but erotic "Blackeyes" in '89. Bellman remains devastatingly gorgeous and is as watchable as ever.

Comic relief is provided by Meera ("Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee" and "The Kumars at No.42") Syal as Miranda, a private detective who is mysteriously paid not to investigate Jackman any further.

"The League of Gentlemen" and "Doctor Who" fans will be pleased to know that Mark Gatiss will be making an appearance later in the series as Robert Louis Stevenson.

This is an interesting show - part mystery, part horror, part comedy. It's certainly unique and well worth a viewing. The BBC really have Saturday nights sorted out at the moment as this is a great "book-end" companion with "Doctor Who"!

For those who may find the first episode a little disappointing, stick with it. The later episodes are darker and more satisfying installments.

Truly this is what a mini series should be

Author: lister50 from Australia
8 July 2008

After watching the final episode on DVD I can list this as one of the best mini series of recent memory. I remained on the edge of my seat throughout each and every episode, so completely drawn into the characters and story line.

James Nesbitt absolutely shines throughout his performance with the contrasting shades of Dr Jackman/Hyde's personalities. The sheer intensity of Hyde left me aquiver, never quite knowing what was next.

An excellent supporting cast showing a range of dynamic talent in bringing the back story to life. An eclectic mix of personalities, each of the characters interacts convincingly with the others, weaving a captivating performance.

The references to Robert Louis Stevenson's works were both subtle and gross, and I think a second watching is in order to truly appreciate the depth of the writing.

Certainly not the kind of television one expects nowadays, Jekyll hearkens to days of true creative writing and absolute engagement with the audience. Whether you while away a day watching the whole series, or watch the series piecemeal, a thoroughly entertaining romp through the annals of a classic with a contemporary twist.

Great

Author: Kate_Dammit_Run
26 August 2007

Great show. James Nesbitt is mesmerizing as BOTH Tom Jackman, a modern day Dr Jekyll, and Mr Hyde his vicious alter ego. This show is part sci-fi, part psychological drama, part conspiracy actioner. It's not perfect. The American accents are atrocious and some of the explanations and conspiracy elements are a bit weak, but it's riveting TV.

James Nesbitt plays Tom Jackman, a British doctor who discovers that he changes into someone else. That someone else is Mr Hyde, a superhuman driven to indulge his impulses. As one character says "Hyde is a child with all the urges and needs of a grown man." Jackman seems to be the descendant of Henry Jekyll, who was the real life inspiration for the Robert Louis Stevenson story. This is despite the fact that Jekyll had no known descendants, and apparently died a virgin. Jackman himself had no known parents, being found abandoned at a train station and raised in foster care. That's the basis for a somewhat intiguing mystery and a sometimes disappointing conspiracy plot as Jackman is targeted by a powerful multinational corporation.

But the real attraction here is Nesbitt and the interaction between the Jackman and Hyde personalities. Nesbitt, who will be familiar to British, and some American viewers, from the show Murphy's law, and the film Bloody Sunday, shines here and gets to show off the full range of his acting chops. When he's Jackman he's a somewhat nebishy man who loves his family so much that he leaves them in order to isolate them from Hyde. It's a very real and dramatic performance. As Hyde he is all flamboyance a swaggering bon vivant who could have stepped out of a Broadway show, except for the fact that his shirt is covered in blood and he could turn violent at any moment. Nesbitt doesn't play Hyde as a macho bully, but rather as someone even more dangerous, a creature with no boundaries, driven only by passion, whether that's for food, sex, or violence. The interplay between these two aspects of Nesbitts performance is a joy to behold.

excellent well worth watching

Author: nicolawilliamulvey from United Kingdom crewe england
26 January 2008

Jekyll is an excellent series.

The tagline, Everyone has a dark side. oh so true Jekyll and Hyde depicts this wonderfully.

I could not miss an episode.

It pinned me to my seat and i wish it had never ended.

I am not one for watching telly much as most series are the same old plots and stories in general i find TV boring.

Jekyll was played magnificently by James Nesbitt.

I will be looking out for more of his work.

I'm on the look out for a second Jekyll series.

Amazing...

Author: teenangelman from United Kingdom
28 July 2007

I've actually never watched a show starring James Nesbitt before, but I'm glad I took the time to watch this one.

I found it amazing how Nesbitt could play two such different characters but make you believe both were real, even though this may seem obvious as that is the part he was playing, he almost made you forgot each alter-ego while he acted the certain character. (Dr. Jackman or Mr. Hyde)

In summary, Jekyll was a great and enjoyable show, with a good cast lead amazingly well by James Nesbitt.

10/10 for such an enjoyable storyline that felt modern while staying true to the idea of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

A failure of the imagination

Author: ruhi-yaman from Australia
12 March 2008

The problem with Jekyll is not that it is a 58th or 59th remake of Stevenson's classic tale. The problem with it is that it is very bad. Stephen Moffat's self-consciously postmodern take on the old story is full of gaping holes. James Nesbitt's performance fluctuates between 'look-ma-I'm-a-serious-actor' grimaces to faux-Nicholson 'Joker' antics. Many scenes don't make sense, even within the logic of the surrealist universe of the story. An organization with endless resources is not only unable to control one individual (no matter how strong he is) but they still think a tough mercenary is his match after they witnessed him strangle a lion and throw it over a high fence like a football. A group of women (one of them heavily pregnant) can outrun a band of highly-trained commandos briefly distracted by a lightning. A man who dedicates his whole life befriending and observing a special individual to reveal his inner demon has no idea what to do with it when he finally manifests himself. Almost no part of the story can withstand scrutiny. It appears as if they made the whole thing up after they began shooting. Acting reflects that, as well. Otherwise highly competent British cast move from high drama to high-camp with barely disguised frustration in a single scene. The clues that are sprinkled into the last episode, seemingly hinting at a sequel, are simply silly.

This slick, expensive but ultimately vacuous production serves to prove that the failure of imagination that is the hallmark of modern blockbuster has now infected the good television, as well.

"Daddy's Home..."

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.
20 August 2007

As much as I tend to be an Anglophile when it comes to all things British in the cinema and on TV, I know that just because the actors have plummy accents it doesn't necessarily make something good. However, I'm glad to discover that BBC America's new series is a welcome exception to that rule.

When a post-modern adaptation of "classic" material such as this is attempted, the filmmakers had better bring something fresh and different to the table, if they expect the project to make an impression beyond the first moment or two. And luckily, "JEKYLL" has a real asset in James Nesbitt's tour-de-force portrayal of Dr. Tom "Jackman", the 'hero' of the piece who is sharing his mind and body grudgingly with the absolutely amoral and insane "Mr. Hyde". Blessedly, Nesbitt chose to take the Spencer Tracy route with this version, relying more on acting ability than cheap prosthetics, (though there are some makeup effects used very sparingly, which makes them that much more gruesome when they appear.)

This take is part-mystery, part-conspiracy thriller and part-psychological drama, which at times hints that it might even be headed into old "X-FILES" territory. It is fascinating to try and second-guess Steven Moffat's excellent script, but just when you think you know where it's going, the plot line swerves in another direction, but not with such unexpectedness or contrivance as to make you want to turn it off and ditch the whole thing. (Too bad I can't say the same thing about "LOST".)

I'm coming up on the last couple of episodes, and I'm hoping that it will be back for another installment, if things don't get wrapped up towards the end. Nesbitt, whose work I've never seen before, is outstanding, and he's backed by a terrific supporting cast, especially a nearly unrecognizable Denis Lawson, whom I only ID'ed thanks to IMDb.

If you haven't been following this on Saturdays on BBC America, be sure to catch it when it becomes available on DVD.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]