IMDb > An Inconvenient Truth (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
An Inconvenient Truth

An Inconvenient Truth More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 51: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Surprisingly Effective and Relevant!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
17 October 2011

I have to say that former Vice President Al Gore takes on the global warming crisis. He was surprisingly effective. I used to call him "Gore the Bore" for his usual stiff presentation. Here, he seems relaxed and confident in argument. There is not much to persuade me. I do believe in global warming. Proof is the stronger hurricanes, tornadoes, and storms that occurred in the world. The glaciers are melting at an alarming rate and polar bears are drowning too. Gore shows a lot more than slides and presentation. He shows a side of himself that works in making him more likable. He didn't win the presidency in 2000 but maybe it was just as well. His calling has been to get the world involved in global warming and try to prevent it's eventual catastrophe. He has the knowledge and the equipment to deliver to his audience in an effective manner.

Sincere intentions & Scary truths; you have to see this one!

Author: Vikas SS from Mumbai, India
29 September 2008

Forget all the other reality shows and get ready for the scariest one as former American Vice President Albert Gore takes you through saddening earth truths. Since the movie or rather the documentary has no plot except for bringing out realities, I thought of putting down some key takeaway points here in public interest. Gore begins by showing an earth picture from an Apollo mission in 1972 and goes on revealing stark truths.

On global warming, he says people believe that earth is so big, what could we do to it but in reality, that thin atmosphere is as thin as a coat of varnish on a painting and this layer is being thickened by pollutants leading to more infrared rays get trapped inside which makes the earth hotter. So, if your kid’s ice cream melts fast, blame is on global warming. Larger changes in the atmosphere are linked to growth in our civilization.

Threats, glaciers are retreating, Mount Kilimanjaro will soon have no glaciers. Himalaya that supplies water to 40% of people on earth will soon have a problem. Same fate is in store for the Swiss Alps, and those in Peru and Argentina. He mixes the story with some of his personal accounts, one where he says he lost his 6 year old son in an accident and his focus shifted to larger earth issues that are not political but moral issues.

He correlates last seven ice ages with the rise in carbon levels. With present levels way beyond what it was ever before, it is bound to hit extremes unless something is done. Also, 10 hottest years ever measured in history have all occurred in the last 14 years. Heat waves in India to storms and hurricanes including Katrina in the west, flooding in China, droughts everywhere, lakes drying up, permafrost cracking; warming is to blame.

The ice shelves melting down not just raises water levels but endangers animals that live within and while those living on ice would just drown. Ecological damage affects reproduction of migratory birds which earlier coincided with caterpillars. With both peaking at different intervals, birds now go without food and beetles are damaging crops. Many cities were set up above line of mosquitoes, are now face risk of diseases.

Showing that there are concerns bigger than terrorism too, Gore also highlights growth in world population to emissions. Relatively America, Europe, Russia and Indo-China contribute to 20, 28, 13 & 12 percent to global emissions. Critiquing lack of adequate action by the Bush Administration, he quotes Jon Sinclair “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it”

Churchill’s old quote is now a warning to the world “The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place, we are entering a period of consequences” looms large. Gore closes it saying it is our time to rise and secure our future so that kids don’t think why our parents didn’t wake up then? Shaken you up, you are asked: Are you ready to change the way we live?

Wake Up

Author: billcr12 from United States
19 August 2012

The robot ex-vice president, Al Gore, actually came to life to lead an education campaign on the dangers of global warming. He is shown on a road trip from city to city, presenting a slide show which uses charts, graphs, and photographs of Earth from various space missions. He points out that climate change is not a political issue, but a moral one. The film is well made, and anyone with the least amount of common sense will agree that we have destroyed a good portion of the world with our lifestyles, especially here in America, with our big SUV's and Mcmansions. The Polar Ice caps are melting, the seas rising, and temperatures increasing yearly, as we spew more and more carbon gases into the atmosphere. Seven billion plus inhabit the planet, and as we add to this number, the death of our home inevitable. At least be informed as to how it all happened, and why. An Inconvenient Truth is just that.

Uses Intelligence Rather Than Fear

Author: Desertman84 from United States
4 January 2012

Former vice president Al Gore shares his concerns on the pressing issue of global warming in this documentary entitled,An Inconvenient Truth.This was directed by Davis Guggenheim about Gore's campaign to educate citizens about global warming via a comprehensive slide show that, by his own estimate, he has given more than a thousand times.A long-time environmental activist, Gore first became aware of evidence on global warming in the 1970s, and since leaving public office he has become a passionate advocate for large- and small-scale changes in our laws and lifestyles that could help alleviate this crisis. An Inconvenient Truth records a multi-media presentation hosted by Gore in which he discusses the scientific facts behind global warming, explains how it has already begun to affect our environment, talks about the disastrous consequences if the world's governments and citizens do not act, and shares what each individual can do to help protect the Earth for this and future generations.

This documentary can be described as a film that invests hard science with impassioned moral drive.It is a powerful film about a man determined to educate the public about the issue of global warming.While global warming is a hotly-debated subject, what everyone on both sides can agree upon is that, if real, it's a very bad thing. Since losing the 2000 presidential election to George W. Bush, Gore has busied himself by being an outspoken figure against this potential environmental disaster. As much about the man as about greenhouse gases, this candid, powerful and informative documentary illuminates some of the myths surrounding both of its subjects equally well.And this film obviously fulfills its objective as it uses intelligence rather than fear in the arguments it presents.

Confused

Author: rps-2 from Bracebridge Ont
11 April 2007

I recently read Michael Crichton's "State Of Fear." Last night I watched Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth." Neither man is an extremist or a rabble rouser. Both are well motivated and have good credentials. Both stand accused of jiggling their data selectively, And we get two directly opposite views. There are more questions than answers. What prompted Crichton to debunk climate change? What prompted Gore to make a movie about it? Is it perhaps early days in another bid for the US presidency? Is Crichton just being a contrarian? The amazing thing, certainly a reflection of public concern on the issue, is the immense popularity of Gore's film which, although well done, is essentially two hours of his talking head. I tried twice to rent it at my local video store. On one occasion, a mid week day, all of the 11 copies were out. It would have been nice had there been some mention of Canada. But then we're accustomed to being ignored up here. There has been a raging debate in Canada over Kyoto. The much vaunted Alberta tar sands are a major contributor to North American green house gasses (as well as water depletion.) Parts of Ontario, including the resort areas of Georgian Bay, Muskoka and Algonquin Park, now get heavy smog in the summer that originates in the American midwest. Nor was there much on the horrific air pollution in China and other parts of Asia, traces of which are recorded in our upper atmosphere, borne east by the jet stream. My own view? It's a combination of factors; a natural cycle exacerbated by green house gasses. Watch it. But also read Crichton's book. Maybe you'll be able to sort things out better than I have.

The movie is a lie (ask High court in London)

Author: Aeonic22 from Croatia
30 November 2012

Though High court addressed only 9 false statements in the movie, and in fact there are 35 false statements. That includes even the most important "facts", like that increase of CO2 creates increase in temperature. I remember noticing it myself, purely visually, upon first seeing the movie. I started Photoshop and compared graphs. To me it seemed like 1/3 of the time Co2 predated temperature, 1/3 was the other way around, and I couldn't decide for 1/3 of the graph. Reading the SPPI report, it seems science knows temperature actually predates rise of Co2. Other statements are not just exaggerations but pure lies. See for yourself... http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/monckton/goreerrors.html

For Lemmings Only

Author: Jakarejo from United States
22 November 2009

Not even Goebbels could have pulled off a propaganda stunt like what Gore has done with this complete piece of fiction. This is a study in how numbers and statistics can be spun to say whatever you have predetermined them to say. The "scientists" Gore says have signed onto the validity of global warming include social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists. Would you say a meteorologist is an expert in neuro-surgery? The field research and data analysis geologists are involved in do not support Gores alarmist claims of global warming. As one of those geologists working in the field for the last 40 years I have not seen any evidence to support global warming. My analysis of this movie and Gores actions over the last couple years brings me to the conclusion that global warming is his way of staying important and relevant. No more, no less. Ask any global warming alarmist or "journalist" one simple question- You say global warming is a major problem. Tell me. What temperature is the Earth supposed to be?

sad, boring truth that it is...

Author: sajhtfdjhagvcjrt from Antigua and Barbuda
21 November 2006

hey, i'm from Germany and just watched this movie. two things about it. 1st: if you've never ever heard of global warming, go watch this flick. it'll give you a tiny tiny insight in whats going on. and we just agreed you haven't ever heard of global warming, more input might cause severe damage to your...err...brain? 2nd: al gore abuses this issue for his political career. i am SO bored of American productplacement in movies but this really does it. in the name of our world he travels all the time, while a voice explains to you that co2 and kerosene are destroying the world. he is using the latest apple notebook, which is of course totally hazardous (yes, personal computers are toxic!), he talks to Chinese governmental staff about environment issues, he does all the things that makes me (and hopefully you) laugh out loud: in the end i thought i was watching a comedy-cartoon something, just like the futurama thing in the beginning, so shallow was his argumentation, so poor was the documentation. although he fights for the right things, this is clearly about something else, well i said it before, its bout his career.

so if you are serious about environment, don't waste your money, don't waste your time. you've heard it all before, you've seen it all, it's just not necessary for us in europe to see a guy from north America polishing his political image in cinema. if bush had done the same, it would have been a real satire, but gore is also quite a joke...its 4 stars for the nice editing and sound, and camera is good too. everything else is just poor, except if you're 1st (above).

Possibly my most informative IMDb review so far.

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
8 September 2008

The overall impact of this film is like a re-charge of the brain, like being punched in the stomach, like having a few ants running up your bare arms and into your sleeves. This may sound like a negative explanation, but this film is not nearly as negative as it may sound. Re-charging of the brain is a good feeling, is it not? Being punched in the stomach and having ants crawling up your arms are two prospects that are not really positive in any way (unless you are having the heimlich manoevure done on you or unless are a person who worships ants and thinks it is an honour to having them crawl up you as if they know that you love them). But these prospects, if you are a person who already cares for the environment anyway, or does NOT believe that global warming is a MYTH, will make being punched in the stomach like a bitter realization and urge to save the planet even more, and will make ants crawling up your back a frightening realization that, again, the earth can be helped more by you.

Yet, it seems that, even people who have watched this film, still believe global warming is a myth and will not receive any kind of urge to help the earth even more. This is shocking. Al Gore clearly demonstrates what is happening and has happened to the earth, because of our seemingly uncontrollable pressure we are putting on the planet. People who do not believe anything he says, easy as some parts are to understand, are obviously horrible, selfish, misguided people - and who can also be stupid. This last sentence is as purely an honest account as could be made by myself.

I personally think that Al Gore does very well in explaining the problems happening on our planet and showing the affects of what could happen if we do not change our ways soon enough. He presents it in a way which can be understood by a great deal of people, apart from those very very annoying people in the world who will just not believe. Er... Hello...? Engage brain..!

Another thing I like about this film is that even though Al Gore explains many negative views in the film, he also addresses the positive points as well. Like explaining how you can change the world "Recycle" etc. These positive points like "Recycle" are obvious to me. What I find shocking about many people all over the world (not just including people who have not believed this film) know that they can recycle and they know about it - but they just do not. This is an almost horrifying prospect to me and I admire anyone who shares this feeling with me.

I recommend this film to people who wish to know more about the environment, people who are studying the environment and people who CARE about the environment. People who do not care for the environment should not watch this, as it just presents more negative saying about this film, which should not happen at all.

P.S The reason I have rated this 9 rather than 10 is because I found the length of this film almost too much to deal with, I prefer lighter and shorter things. But this is hardly a negative comment on the film, only the reason why I did not give it an extra star.

P.P.S I know I have repeated myself on many points in this review, but I AM JUST TRYING TO REACH THE MESSAGE ACROSS! :-)

Should be required viewing...absolutely amazing

Author: Happy_Evil_Dude from Paris, France
6 August 2008

Noted film critic Roger Ebert said "You owe it to yourself to see this movie" and guess what, he's right. Basically this movie is a filmed slideshow environmental conference hosted by Al Gore intercut with a portrait of Al Gore, his life and career. The conference is obviously the more interesting part of this documentary and the main draw of the movie.

As the host, Al Gore is excellent, frequently using humor but never letting the viewer forget how serious the issue at hand is. He is extremely convincing and brings up a number of very interesting points (being environment conscious does not mean lesser financial profit, for example). Do not not watch this movie if you're not a liberal, it is not "bullshit liberal propaganda", it is not political. This a movie which transcends politics and national borders.

This is a movie which should be given a chance by everyone, even if you don't usually watch documentaries. This is a movie which is truly as good as they say. Do watch it.