IMDb > An Inconvenient Truth (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
An Inconvenient Truth

An Inconvenient Truth More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 51: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Politician pushing a cause.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
9 May 2010

This piece of celluloid won awards? It's not a documentary, it's a political diatribe in a documentary format. To be effective, a documentary has to be be objective; that is not the case here. Instead, a disgruntled politician with an ax to grind uses the documentary format to attack his political opponent. Is mankind responsible for global warming? Maybe, maybe not. Al Gore is not a scientist and is no more of an expert on this issue then the next guy or gal, yet he is sounding the alarm, as if he's the only one in the know. We don't need Al Gore to alert us about climate change. It's an old story and one that he has co-opted to discredit his political opponents. Well, he has a right to voice his opinion, but that's all it is, an opinion and his carries no more weight than anybody else. This "documentary" claims that scientists are unanimous in the belief that man-made global warming is a fact, yet he neither cites any specific scientists nor does he provide a list of sources backing up his assertions. Instead Mr. Gore expects the audience to believe him. Beware of the politician who is pushing a cause. Such activity always masks a hidden agenda, one that is self-serving. From vice-president to environmental shill, that seems to summarize the career of Al Gore.

Makes You Think

Author: VIPMafia (ragingbull1@live.com.au) from uk
5 April 2009

An Inconvenient Truth is an Oscar winning documentary about the horror the Earth is facing which is: Global Warming. Big name Al Gore explains how this man-made disaster works, and how we can stop it. A very detailed and interesting documentary that gives you a brief, yet easy-to-understand speech, using simple charts and graphs followed by expert opinions. The future opinions and horrifying graphs are rather disturbing, knowing what will happen to our Earth within the next coming years. I myself find Global Warming a rather interesting topic, but everyone should give this a watch or be put on each school curriculum. It's easy to follow, interesting to watch and leaves you speechless at the end, because we realize what our Earth is coming to.

An interesting documentary exploring the impact of global warming

Author: sme_no_densetsu from Canada
22 December 2008

"An Inconvenient Truth" is Al Gore's message to the world about the threat of global warming. Gore's presentation is bolstered by facts, which he usually lets speak for themselves.

The documentary's style closely follows Gore's tried-and-true Keynote presentation given many times around the world. At intervals there are some more personal observations from Gore that show why he is passionate about this cause. There's nothing really special about the documentary's technique but I did like the way that the closing credits gave suggestions on doing something about the cause that you'd just learned about.

The topic of global warming is certainly not edge-of-your-seat material but Gore & company do a pretty good job of keeping it interesting. There is no shortage of facts and, as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I could have done without the Gore family reflections but I understand that they are meant to connect the concerns of global warming to the people who are affected by it.

This is a thoughtful documentary and I appreciate the fact that Gore lets the facts speak for themselves. Sure, there are glimpses of what we could be headed for but where some might see opportunities for scare-mongering, Gore sees opportunities for improvement. Hopefully this documentary raises awareness to such a level that politicians can no longer ignore the issue.

As an educational film, "Truth" is effective and eye-opening

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
6 December 2008

What's the best way to teach the general public, especially in America, about a serious and often misunderstood issue? Make a movie. Al Gore and director David Guggenheim figured it out with "An Inconvenient Truth," a film about the global warming crisis that is part documentary, part video lecture. As a documentary that weaves in Gore's life in attempt to give some emotional depth to the facts, it kind of seems pointless at times, but as an educational film, "Truth" is certainly effective in explaining global warming and empowering the viewer to do something about it.

Educationally, the footage of Gore's lectures and the technology at his disposal allow for a very clear although at times very statistical explanation of what global warming is, what causes it, how it affects the planet and what we can do about it. The evidence, while sometimes confusing in the form of charts, is strong and eye-opening. Gore certainly demonstrates his expertise on the subject.

Dispersed throughout the film are Gore's reflections on different aspects of his life and career set to pictures, some of which pertains to global warming directly and some of which is supposed to relate metaphorically or symbolically. You can kind of tell why Guggenheim put in these different bits when he did, but sometimes they detract from the issue at hand. There's also several shots of Gore in cars, typing on his Apple PowerBook and waiting in line at airports, none of which, as you'd imagine, are the least bit captivating. So it's hard to decipher if we're supposed to feel pity for Gore or merely get a sense of who he is politics and the 2000 presidential election aside.

In general though, the knowledge aspect is quite strong in this film. While it would have benefited from more than just video lectures and actually taken us out to locations to see some specific examples of the impact of global warming, there is plenty to learn and understand that will change your perspective (or enhance it) on environmental issues.

An Inconvenient Truth, An Interesting Movie

Author: DarthVoorhees from United States
21 October 2008

Who would have thought Al Gore could hold our attention for an entire film? The man we thought was boring speaks with conviction and ease about a topic that affects all human beings and the fate of our future. An Inconvenient Truth is a tough film to review because like any political film you have to objective to the film-making and not the message. I don't agree with Al Gore on all of his issues but I feel he has put together a well made blueprint for the green movement which affects people of all political affiliations.

My fear walking into An Inconvenient Truth was that Gore would place blame on the Republicans for the problem and further polarize this issue which should not be polarized and he does to a degree. We see footage of Bush, Reagan and Dubya giving their own take on the issues of global warming. I really wish Gore wouldn't have done this, but I guess it's his nature as a politician. Al Gore's name is the only real thing plaguing people from seeing this film which is a must see even if you see it to be objective. We are seeing Al Gore the politician but he is giving a heartfelt speech on something that is beyond politics. People have complained that the film is merely a power point presentation but I find that the film benefits from showing Gore interact with his audiences and showing their reactions to the data.

The data is there and there is no disputing it. I think few can argue that global warming is a real problem but the fact is I wish Gore had done more to inspire his audience to the cause. We are getting a fire and brimstone talk of world's end. I wanted to know how I could save mother earth. Gore should have devoted a section of his speech to offer methods of how the middle class could help the reduction of greenhouse gases. What Gore does propose is change on a huge global scale but the film could have been more productive if it gave tips on how the everyday worker could affect the environment.

My real problem with the film are the cut away scenes. Gore has taken acting lessons and it's noticeable. He looks fake and inorganic. We have a staged phone call from a secretary telling him about a Bush administration EPA leader who worked for Mobil, it is painfully fake and lends venom to the people who say this film is propaganda.

In truth it is propaganda but it doesn't have to be liberal propaganda. If we had someone charismatic and with no political affiliation give this show it probably wouldn't have the controversy and scrutiny it had

More propaganda than truth

Author: jayef0503 from United States
31 July 2008

I am not a scientist and cannot agree with or refute any of Gore's statistics. I was a history major in college, and one thing I learned from my history professors is that good historians look at all sides of an issue. Some historians fail to follow this precept, and apparently some scientists (or politicians-turned-scientists) do likewise. Gore dismisses anyone who does not believe in global warming as an ostrich with his head in the sand, hiding from reality. Global warming is a theory, not a proved fact. It may be true, it may not. As I wrote above, I am in no position to take a firm stand. However, I am suspicious of anyone who condemns as stupid anyone who dares disagree with him. Gore has built a cult around global warming, and we all must believe or be ostracized. He tries to scare people into following his mantra using terrible statistics to prove his theories. Mark Twain (or perhaps someone else - the quote has been attributed to more than one person) said "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." If you know a little something, you can prove anything with statistics. Again, I am not saying Gore is wrong or that he is lying, I am only saying that he would be more believable if he were not so smugly dismissive of those who disagree with his theories.

Outdated

Author: Mister E from United States
10 May 2008

Well, Al Gore definitely landed on his feet, losing the presidential election gaining 30 pounds and growing a beard, or you could say he broke and the environmentalist crowd picked him up.

So, about the movie, I'd say it was informational, I'm not discarding it. But by the time this documentary hit the theatres it was outdated and didn't present enough to convince many climate scientists of it's findings... Quite a bit about the climate is still unknown, so much so that anytime someone says they found "something that could be devastating", another person says, "well, it's actually quite mild", and if i write anything about sunspots, extremely slow ocean currents or how the eddy current viscosity isn't accounted for in the navier stokes equation resulting in a systematic error for every climate model, it would be out of date by the time it's read.

Anyway, a lot of the stuff that's being said here isn't up for debate, because debate won't prove or disprove it.

Misses the point

Author: s-t-6 from United Kingdom
23 April 2008

This film was produced with the best intentions from Mr Gore and may convince many people with his scare tactics by showing all the worst case scenarios but he misses several key points, and although i can repeat what other reviews have written i shall only explain the one that struck out most prominently to me. Yes carbon dioxide emissions have risen in recent years, there is no denying that and temperatures have also risen, as expected in an interglacial period. But there is no mention as to why these two phenomenon are linked, probably because he has no proof. These two variables could be linked the other way around with higher temperatures causing higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide. This film, essentially and ego trip for the former vice president, became tedious less half way through because of Mr Gore reiterating the same point over and over. The use of gimmicks such as the polar bear scene rendered the film useless as a scientific exercise. I am not doubting Mr Gore's public speaking and persuasive skills because they are excellent but the presentation is lacking in substance. Perhaps if Mr Gore had spent more time explaining how we can combat the threat of global warming before the end credits rather than showing us how he has flown 1000 times around the world in first class exerting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere then this film would have been more effective and persuade more educated people to believe in his cause.

Global Warming For Dummies

Author: mrvincent from United States
24 February 2008

A very good introduction to the idea of global warming by Al Gore.

This movie will help bring awareness to an environmental issue that has been around for a while, yet, we seem to never do anything about it. Maybe something will be done when water from the oceans start lapping up on Congress's building doorstep.

Al Gore does his best to keep things simple so that this movie can be consumed by anyone. At first he states that pollution is thickening the atmosphere and then at some point starts talking about carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is not really pollution - its just the stuff that gets released when we burn fossil fuels, or breath. Yes, it is the stuff that causes the earth to become warmer when it is added to the atmosphere in large amounts.

For those of you that are more interested in this subject now that you have seen this movie, I have another, much better movie for you to watch. Its called Crude, and I saw it on the History Channel. This movie will explain the Carbon Cycle and will explain how the oil formed and how the earth will deal with the fact that we are burning it. Its the best movie regarding this subject that I have ever seen.

The errors in the movie - there are not many of them

Author: kaarefog from Denmark
20 January 2008

There are several climate skeptics who have made lists of so-called errors in An Inconvenient Truth - the book and/or the movie. I have scanned the internet and other places to collect a list of 130 alleged errors - some of them called 'serious scientific errors'. I have then evaluated each alleged error carefully, and I end up with the conclusion that there are 3 errors and 7 flaws in the film. In the book there are a few more flaws, which makes a total of 14 flaws and errors. This is a very small amount of errors compared to those made by Bjørn Lomborg in his books.

So, there are indeed errors in the movie, but there are not many of them. If you want to study my extensive description of errors and non-errors, you may enter the web page www.Lomborg-errors.dk, and from there go to "Lomborg versus Al Gore", or you may go directly to the page www.Lomborg-errors.dk/Goreacknowledgederrors.htm

Kåre Fog, Denmark, Europe