IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 29: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Totally Unnecessary

Author: aji_gps from Indonesia
20 October 2013

I liked ocean's eleven and I loved ocean's twelve for being so uncommon but I really thought that ocean's thirteen was unnecessary. This is really unfortunate remembering that it brought Al Pacino into the already all star cast.

There are some points why it became so redundant to the sequel. First, inconsistency. It really bothered me that Don Chaedel had a thick British accent in the first two movies but had a real American accent in the third. Also, François Toulour (Fincent Cassel) had really small role, despite remembering he was the arc nemesis of Ocean's Twelve.

Second Point, bad story. They were back at las Vegas that really gives the audience a "nothing new?" feeling. and there weren't any special plot twists, that made me feel like I wanted the film to end really quick.

I really regret it, with a cast like this they should'v made it really count, probably we should wait for the next generation to make the remake remake of ocean's eleven and then make it right about the third sequel.

Thirteen's a Charm

Author: thesar-2 from United States
2 September 2013

I feel like a broken record, but I need to say it again: Ocean's Thirteen is the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade make-up film (to Temple of Doom.) Now, I am actually an unapologetic supporter of Ocean's Twelve, but I truly and really liked this chapter.

Does it match the original's originality, even though that was a remake? No, but it comes pretty damn close. And…they made it back to Vegas, where they belong.

The gang gathers around a fallen and deceived member and comes up with a brilliant and often hilarious plot to thwart the great Al Pacino.

Literally, that's the plot. Now, I don't mean to downplay it…I had an absolute blast here, but also admired this movie tremendously.

For example, the graphics and locations were amazing. I'm a stickler for "getting Vegas right." Con Air had the strip all over the place, including casinos/hotels that didn't even exist when the movie premiered. The movie 21 had "our heroes" stay in the Green Valley Ranch that had a convenient view of the strip, even though the strip is miles away. In Ocean's Thirteen, there was a fake casino erected, and the location they gave, it made sense. Even the views from the place and hotel rooms was accurate – had this place existed.

The comedy was back, the tension and fun was relevant and the suspense was key. If you loved 2001's Ocean's Eleven and that does happen to be one of my all-time favorite movies, you should truly love this. (Yeah, it helps if you saw Part "Twelve," but not 100% necessary.)

Much better than Ocean's Twelve

Author: Bruce722 from United States
1 August 2013

Now this is what a sequel is supposed to be like. Ocean's Twelve was a joke but Ocean's Thirteen was fantastic and maybe even a bit better than the first film. George Clooney and Brad Pitt once again lead a fantastic cast and have some great moments of dialogue and back-and- forth. Those two are great on screen together. It also seemed like they were able to actually give each character a fair amount of screen time whereas in the second film most seemed meaningless. There wasn't much additional development of them but they all contributed to the film in some way. As for the actual plot, it felt more genuine and not just thrown together like the last one. All in all, it almost feels like a waste to even watch the second film other than a couple of comments and a character that barely sees the screen in this movie.

Recaptures the Fun of the Original

Author: Joshua Mitchell from Here
12 May 2013

Well this was a pleasant surprise. Ocean's Thirteen, the threequel to the excellent Ocean's Eleven and the sequel to the almost-unwatchable Ocean's Twelve, is a fun and light conclusion to the Ocean's Trilogy. It's not as much fun as the original, but it's a vast improvement over the terrible sequel. Third chapters hardly ever work, but I commend Ocean's Thirteen for overcoming that trend.

The Ocean group (with the exception of Tess and Isabel) are brought together when Reuben is in poor health due to a massive shock received from being cheated of the rights of a hotel-casino he was planning to open. The con man responsible, Willy Bank, plans to open the hotel- casino himself, and win the prized Five Diamond award as well. Of course, the Ocean gang devise a devious plan of revenge that's every bit as satisfying for the Oceans, as it is for the audience.

Ocean's Thirteen isn't the strongest film in the trilogy, but it certainly fixes most of the problems that plagued the previous two.

For one, Tess and Isabel (the love interests for Danny Ocean and Rusty) have been completely eliminated from the script. They get a brief acknowledgement and little more. I'm grateful of this, because this completely eliminates the romance aspect. The romance was done so poorly in the first two, and this ultimately hurt the amount of fun that could be had. By throwing the romance out the window, there entire focus of the film is on pure fun.

While over half of the film is planning and set-up for the big con, there is hardly a dull moment to be found. The sheer excitement of the build-up was enough to keep me entertained. Combine that with a reasonable amount of humor, brief dilemmas, and the likable characters, and you have a perfectly entertaining production. I was hardly ever bored, and the same could not be said for even the first Ocean's.

The plot is less confusing than that of Ocean's Twelve. The characters are just as fun as ever (though the screen time of many is far too short), and of course, the pay off at the end is very satisfying.

Still, despite many improvements, there are a few flaws that should not go overlooked. Like the first two, Ocean's Thirteen is more than a little implausible. Some parts are downright preposterous. Ocean's Thirteen is a smart film, but belief and common sense may need to be suspended on occasion.

And while not a direct flaw, it must be stated that Ocean's Thirteen just isn't as fun as Ocean's Eleven. It's not too far off, but I can't say I laughed as much on this third outing as I did during Ocean's Eleven. Still, Ocean's Thirteen provides it's share of fun and humor. I had a smile on my face throughout much of the film, and I was certainly enjoying myself.

The performances are great, though considering the lack of depth in each, they aren't as impressive. George Clooney and Brad Pitt are suitably suave as Danny Ocean and Rusty Ryan respectively. Matt Damon as Linus is as likable as ever, and new additions to the cast are just as likable.

The score by David Holmes is actually a huge improvement over both previous scores for the series. Like the film, it's fun and will make you smile, though those looking for any depth or true sophistication should look elsewhere.

Ocean's Thirteen is an indisputable improvement over Ocean's Twelve, while recapturing the easy fun of Ocean's Eleven. Easy to like and rarely dull, I had a great time watching Ocean's Thirteen. I didn't think I would ever say this, but now I want an Ocean's Fourteen.

Revenge heist

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
2 April 2013

This one isn't as good as "Ocean's Eleven" but it's better than "Ocean's Twelve". This is more of a mission to wreck someone by stealing from that person than just mainly focusing on the money. Although money does play a factor. Out of all the three movies in this franchise this one however has the most meat to it when it comes to the heist. And the crew is back to do what they are good at in a cool and stylish manner. And this time the teams main target is Willy Bank(Al Pacino) after he screws Reuben on a deal. The heist and dialogues have it's clever moments although some parts are just absurd and doesn't make much sense. It's a entertaining heist flick but just didn't stand out all that much to the point I could call it a memorable flick. On a positive note though the cast doesn't try way too hard to be cool, which just came off more smug and pedantic than cool. Overall this is a stylish heist movie that has some substance to it and is worth seeing at least once.

7.3/10

100% Recycled Ideas...

Author: Janis Livens from Latvia
17 March 2013

Ocean's Thirteen is the last entry the commercial sellout franchise by Steven Soderbergh. I liked the first film as a consequence free, silly, nonsensical caper film with a very likable cast aside from Julia Roberts. The sequel was even more nonsensical and convoluted to the point of being boring. The third one makes more sense than the second one, has no Julia Roberts but, sadly, no Catherine Zeta-Jones, has a new villain in form of Al Pacino and recycles the plot from the first film. In other words, Ocean's Thirteen is an entertaining mediocrity.

The original cast is great as you might expect. George Clooney and Brad Pitt are overloaded with on screen charisma and keep this film interesting. The rest of the cast are fun and Al Pacino chews on the scenery. There are no weak links in the film since the only one that got on my nerves was Julia Roberts.

But for the rest, it's amazingly unremarkable in every way. The plot is as convoluted and silly as the genre dictates. But there are hardly any drama or real sense of danger in it. Korean blockbuster The Thieves did this type of scenario way better and had Jun Ji-Hyun playing Catwoman. It had real tension and real sense of danger mixed with the lighthearted attitude and silliness of the genre. Ocean's Thirteen is safe, harmless and forgettable enterprise which will entertain those who liked the previous installments. It's not point really talking about the technical aspects or the direction by Steven Soderbergh because that's not why we are really here. We are here for the cast and the silly adventure and the cast is great and the adventure is silly.

Ocean's Thirteen is a safe Hollywood caper film without any ambitions and pretenses at being something more. It is what it wants to be - an entertaining caper film with likable ensemble cast. The Thieves is much more clever, better made and has Jun Ji-Hyun but that's made in a world where R rated films make more money than PG-13 rated kiddie comic book nonsense.

Weakest in the trilogy

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
20 February 2012

The "Ocean's 11" franchise started in 1960 with Lewis Milestone's "Ocean's 11", a glossy heist thriller which saw a gang of thieves pulling a daring operation in which several Las Vegas casinos are simultaneously robbed. Milestone was a bit of an auteur, known for several fairly good war films, but his "Ocean's 11" remains an anonymously directed affair. Instead, crooner and mega-star Frank Sinatra seems to be the one pulling all the strings, playing the titular role of heist-master Danny Ocean within the film, and the star and money-man calling the shots outside the film. The production was reportedly wrapped around Sinatra's lengthy stays in Las Vegas, where he performed various concerts at up-scale casinos, hotels and theatres.

While Milestone's "Ocean's 11" made ridiculous amounts of money back in 1960 – everyone wanted to see its big name cast: Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, Peter Lawford and Angie Dickinson – today it's a hugely dull movie, with large chunks of exposition, unnecessary filler and a heist that's been bettered by countless heist films released both before and after. With notions as to what is and isn't "cool" constantly changing, "Ocean's 11" also looks completely neutered, its "smooth", "relaxed" and "cool" cast now positively lifeless. Half a century later, only Sinatra comes off looking well, though precisely because of him the film plays like one of those bad crime movies by modern African American rappers, designed to show off the star's "riches", "bling", "money", "rule breaking", "flashy accessories" and "bad boy criminality" (Sinatra had close ties with the criminal underworld – both the Italian mafia and US government). It's a white bread version of such mega-celebrity egotism. Milestone's best scenes? A colourful Saul Bass opening and a wordless ending shot, much imitated by Tarantino, in which our suited gang of heroes walk down a pavement. Everything between these scenes can be missed.

Steven Soderbergh would release a remake of "Ocean's 11" in 2001. It's a much better film, featuring a cast of photogenic mega stars (Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Elliot Gould etc), smooth operators, bad boys and likable character actors. "I owe you for the thing with the guy in the place," is the line which gets the plot rolling, a slice of dialogue which epitomises the film's comically nonchalant attitude. If Milestone's film strove to be cool, Soderbergh goes for a kind of meta-cool, our cast both too cool for cool and playing uncool with coolness, mega stars Brad Pitt always chomping down on food, Matt Damon bumbling with style and George Clooney perpetually basking in his own silly magnificence. As the heist movie is intrinsically formulaic – first act: assemble the "samurai", second act: plan the heist, third act: escape or get captured – Soderbergh indulges in a kind of postmodern devil-may-care attitude. Meanwhile, the film's aesthetic is retro cool, with European/French touches, glossy locales, eye popping lights, sparkling surfaces/bulbs, lush cinematography, romantic editing/music, liquidy shapes and a camera that salivates over its suave actors, smooth villains and expensive locales. It's all about the money.

Soderbergh describes his "Ocean's 11" as a "big wind up toy", and while its designed to be "just entertainment", it does fit in with a number of the director's "heavier" films ("King of the Hill", "Che", "Traffic", "Eric Brockovich", "The Girlfriend Experience"), which have focused on economic inequality, economic depressions, Marxist revolutionaries and violent corporate muscle. Indeed, the casinos where Soderbergh's heists take place, the Bellagio and several other mega-casinos on the LA Strip, were built in the 1990s by entrepreneurs and corporate raiders like Steve Wynn (the real life model of Benedict, the film's villain, played sexily by Andy Garcia) with junk bonds and help from organised crime lords. With its art galleries and upscale restaurants, the Bellagio was then part of a diversification strategy in LA to earn profits from non-gaming sources. Yet the appeal of all these amenities, like gambling itself, is fuelled by a drive to offer consumers escape from a reality of diminished opportunities for upward mobility (within an American economy of diminishing wages, outsourcing and continuous lay-offs). Within a postindustrial, globalized economy, gambling, and even crime, increasingly appears to offer the best way, in the words of Jackson Lears, "to get ahead in a world where work no longer seems reliable". Indeed, each of the film's robbers comes with some indication that they embody the disaffection created by the increasing division of American society into "haves" and "have nots", whether it be a criminal past, lack of work, or entrapment in a job they find to be unrewarding. Even the bank-roller behind the heist, a former casino owner named Reuben Tishkoff (smoothly played by Elliout Gould), wants revenge against a new economy in which corporate moguls like Benedict can use their financial muscle to push him out. On the flip side, such readings are contradicted by the film's need to work as a big budget wish-fulfilment fantasy, and the fact that the crime genre has always portrayed the criminal as Soderbergh does here: cinema's lovable criminals may live on the outside, but they're still perfect conformists, chasing money in their own way because of capitalism's failings.

Soderbergh would release a sequel, "Oceans 12", some years later. This one takes the form of a "con movie", its narrative bending giddily in all directions, mercilessly toying with both convention and audience expectations. The film wasn't well received, despite being as good as its predecessor, which led to Soderbergh releasing the dull, and far safer, "Oceans 13" in 2007. The villain's name is literally "Bank" (Al Pacino) in this outing, but the film is mostly dumb.

7.5/10 – Some overlooked modern heist films: Mamet's "Heist" and Neil Jordan's "The Good Thief", a remake of Melville's genre defining "Bob The Gambler".

Ocean's Thirteen (2007)

Author: Martin Teller from Portland OR
12 January 2012

Coming off the muddled misstep of OCEAN'S TWELVE, Soderbergh proves that he can still produce high-quality Hollywood fare when he puts his mind to it. Alleviating most of the problems that plagued the second installment, he uses his star power cast much more efficiently, delivers a scheme that's complex without being confusing, and takes a step back from making the characters superhuman. The glitz and style and polish help make this a very entertaining flick, perhaps the best in the series (though I must confess my memories of the first one are fuzzy). My one beef would be that Danny Ocean has it a little too easy this time, and while I enjoyed his easygoing cleverness, I wished for a few more obstacles in his path. Any snags in the plan are deftly overcome, and Al Pacino's character does not make for an intimidating protagonist. Still a very fun ride, though.

Better Than Ocean's Twelve But Not As Good As Ocean's Eleven

Author: Intern2014 from United States
1 January 2012

Al Pacino joins a powerhouse cast headed by of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Andy Garcia, Don Cheadle, Bernie Mac, and series newcomer Ellen Barkin for this, the third installment of director Steven Soderbergh's popular series of glitzy crime comedies movie,Ocean's Thirteen. It is the third and final film in the Soderbergh series following the 2004 sequel Ocean's Twelve and the 2001 film Ocean's Eleven, which itself was a remake of the 1960 Rat Pack film Ocean's 11. All of the cast members reprised their roles from the previous installments except for Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

The only hotelier in Las Vegas who can claim that each and every one of his establishments has earned the Royal Review Board's Five Diamond Award, Willy Bank has made more than his share of enemies during his impressive ascent. While most of Bank's adversaries amount to little more than the occasional nuisance, however, this powerful player is about to find out that picking your enemies in Las Vegas can be a true gamble. In betraying Reuben Tishkoff, Bank has finally crossed the one man who could bring his entire empire crumbling to the ground -- Danny Ocean. Now Reuben is in critical condition, and Ocean is determined to strike back at the man who nearly murdered his mentor. Bank may have taken down one of the original Ocean's Eleven, but his efforts only managed to unite the remaining ten closer than ever before. As the opening of Bank's newest casino draws near, Danny and the crew set into motion a bold plan to humiliate the cocksure casino owner and forever tarnish his spotless reputation. It won't be easy, but if Ocean and his team can get their elaborate plan together in time for the opening of The Bank, they just might be able to deliver some serious Las Vegas justice.

Ocean's Thirteen reverts to the formula of the first installment specifically the heist in Last Vegas and the result is another slick and entertaining heist film.Although it may not be as good as Ocean's Eleven it terms of satisfaction,it was definitely a lot better that the lazy Ocean's Twelve.Although the story isn't that interesting as it was predictable,it manages to pull off an entertaining heist film.

Easygoing spy caper might be the best of the three

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
15 November 2011

This easygoing and lighthearted caper movie is a definite step up on the second in the series – although I hope this marks the end of the trilogy rather than a prelude to any further sequels. It's a film you're going to like if you appreciate the talents of the cast – Clooney, Pitt, Damon et al – all of whom are by now well settled into their sophisticated roles. In fact, THIRTEEN might well have the edge on ELEVEN , as the ingenious plot – detailing an immense and complicated scam on a mega-casino – is so well devised that I had a ball watching it play out.

Of course, there's nothing much here that hasn't been done before, and the film might well be too smart for its own good. Some of the supporting players – Eddie Izzard, Shaobo Qin – are more irritating than amusing, and Al Pacino's repugnant villain is one of the most unpleasant characters he's played in a long career. But there are other highlights that deflect from the flaws – Ellen Barkin's sexy femme fatale (sadly with the distraction of too much collagen, but otherwise perfect), a plethora of cutting-edge technological wizardry, some nicely judged twists and Soderbergh's debonair direction, all of which combine to make this a relaxing and genuinely fun outing for the crew.