IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 29: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Ocean's Eleven Lite

Author: Pihlaja from Helsinki
14 June 2015

The first Ocean's Eleven (the remake, not the Rat Pack version) is a classic heist film. Good team, excellent plot, clever twists, action, excitement, the whole nine yards. Ocean's Twelve, the sequel, is a convoluted mess that is best left forgotten. Ocean's Thirteen, the movie in question, falls somewhere in between. It's a huge leap forward in quality when compared to its immediate predecessor, but it doesn't quite reach the novelty and sheer fun that the first had in spades.

We return to Las Vegas as Reuben (Elliott Gould) has fallen to some hard times, being cheated on a casino deal by heinous Willy Bank (Al Pacino) and now it's up to Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and his crew to settle the score. It's a workable plot, though a touch too similar to the first movie to really impress with its originality. The movies look too similar for you to be able to appreciate it fully, and even the twists are somewhat predictable because of this.

And while the acting is generally very good, I don't really buy Pacino as an effective villain in a heist movie. The man can certainly play a villain, no doubt about it, but he doesn't quite hit the right notes here. Especially when the movie also contains Andy Garcia, the slimy ball of haughtiness from the first film. I also have to note that none of the characters have evolved at all. They're still the same old rogues they were in the first film, and while I don't expect a lot of character development in a cheerful heist film series, I'd appreciate if there was a little bit of it.

All that being said, I do think it's an enjoyable film. The heist itself is a lot of fun, the characters are still delightfully quirky and it seems like the film crew had a lot of fun.

Just passable!

Author: JohnHowardReid
13 June 2015

I'm amazed this movie attracted so many good reviews. For me, it offered just passable entertainment. In fact, three quarters of the way through, I was so bored with it, I seriously considered walking out, but I was jammed in and it was difficult to move. I will admit that the movie did improve in the last quarter-hour or so, when it finally got around to presenting a bit of action. Admittedly, I'd not seen the previous entries in this series, but the script didn't bother to fill in any of the essential details I'd missed and simply assumed that I already knew who everybody was and what their relationships and motivations were. And it's hard to believe that the film cost a cool $85,000,000. To break even, it would need to gross at least $150,000,000. I believe it did actually gross around $117,000,000. Those figures, I find very surprising. Good old Warner Home Video sent me the excellent Warner DVD, on which I actually found the short, "Vegas: An Opulent Illusion", much more interesting and entertaining.

Ocean's Thirteen

Author: Harikrushnan from India
23 March 2015

WHAT I LIKED

1. The plot was predictable but entertaining.

2. The performances - The star-studded cast did a fine job.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

1. Toulour was an unnecessary addition. And he really isn't that smart if he was fooled by duplicates twice. Surely he should have checked the diamonds immediately on getting it? He should have remembered that the gang had pulled off a similar trick on him with the Fabergé egg before.

2. Al Pacino was wasted. He needed a stronger role as the villain.

3. How all the games were rigged was not shown.

VERDICT

An good entertaining film.

7/10 - Good

Returns to its Roots

Author: view_and_review from California
8 March 2015

The star-studded cast is back. I don't know the 13 and I didn't bother counting but if you've watched either of the first two then you're familiar with the main players.

Ocean's 13 sticks with the same style and a similar storyline. This time they are back in Las Vegas and their motives for this job is different. I liked them being in Vegas instead of France and I liked the job being yet another casino other than a museum.

You'll like Ocean's 13 for the same reasons you liked Ocean's 11, or even 12. All-star cast, the creative plot and sticking it to another unlikable guy.

Not best!!

Author: Samannay Ambaly from Kharghar
25 December 2014

A similar plot with a dragged storyline. The movie shows the story of the same robbers but this time out to seek a vengeance. Al Pacino as the main antagonist, is not proper use of his talent. Unrealistic events and a weak script, makes it weak compared to expectations. A similar comical heist, with lots of unrealistic twists and taken for good support on the good side, makes it too predictable. Although the lead actors perform good and try their best, the loop holes make them suffer. The first movie with static script in Ocean's trilogy. Watch this movie without any expectations or don't compare it with the previous two. You can give it a one time watch.

Danny Ocean and his team go out on a high

Author: Rickting from London
28 November 2014

After the disaster of Ocean's 12 there was only one way: up. Therefore, Ocean's 13 inevitably improves although it's not surprising Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta Jones dropped out. The ridiculously likable crew are back, getting revenge on a businessman (Al Pacino) who conned their friend. It relocates the action back to Vegas, where it belongs, and this time they were polite enough to actually include a heist. Concluding the trilogy in better than expected fashion, O13 restores the trilogy to glamorous, slick, stylish glory and still shines brighter than the majority of the lights on the strip. It doesn't measure up the original. Don Cheadle is as jarring as ever and there are some irritating jokes and the heist sometimes feels lost in the comedy. It can be overly confusing and it's sometimes difficult to understand where the plot is going. These various flaws don't stop it from being a solid 4 star crime flick.

The characters are still entertaining and likable. This time, Brad Pitt and George Clooney are actually likable and aren't just smug. Matt Damon is still bland though. It's well directed by Steven Soderbergh and has another fine musical score. There's also a sense of finality and it wraps up the trilogy very well. It's not as surreally enjoyable as the first one, but it's humorous, slick and offers plenty of the escapist fun that the first did. It doesn't suffer from the laws of diminishing returns and does the formula of the first one without adding to it but also without copying it and doing a turd on it. This isn't the strongest or bravest second sequel out there but it deserves a lot of respect for being entertaining and learning from the mistakes of the awful Ocean's 12. Nothing memorable or daring, but O13 provides plenty of stylish and sub zero cool heist based fun. At least there's a proper heist set piece.

a forgetful film that proves there is nothing like the original

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
12 September 2014

Boy did they milk the oceans franchise. After a fantastic first film and a average second film it was up for debate what this film would be like and it is just simply forgetful. This sees Danny, rusty and they crew going on a revenge heist against Willy bank after Reuben is betrayed by bank. Now I think George Clooney and brad Pitt did a great job in both of the other films but in this one it feels like they're being lazy and phoning it in which is hugely disappointing considering how good they have been. A weakness of this film is also just how large the cast is and how it focuses on nobody like the past two films did. I also feel it really missed a main female character as the previous ones did a good job and really helped the film. I did like matt Damon in this film and I also did like Andy Garcia returning and al pacino as the new villain was fun. The story was awful as half the time I had no idea what was going on and once again with it focusing on everyone it focused on nobody which was a big reason for a disappointing story. The script was alright and there was some funny dialogue but not enough to help the film enough. I think returning to Vegas was another great idea and the style of this film is great it is a shame the substance is not so good. This should be the end for this franchise for a while and let's just remember just how good oceans 11 was.

The fun and rich romp.

Author: oscar-35 from working in Movieland
17 June 2014

*Spoiler/plot- Ocean's Thirteen, 2007. Danny Ocean's team of smooth criminals are back in Vegas. They're composing a more personal plan than ever. When a ruthless casino owner named Willy Bank double-crosses their good buddy Reuben Tishkoff; this causes Tishoff to have a heart attack. Danny Ocean wishes to help out his friend and vows that his team and himself will do anything to bring Willy Bank and everything he's got down. Even if it includes hiring some assistance from one of their own old opponents in Vegas, Terry Benedict.

*Special Stars- Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Al Pacino, Elliot GOuld, Ellen Barkin.

*Theme- Friendship is thicker than money.

*Trivia/location/goofs- Color. Las Vegas, NV. The line "You shook Sinatra's hand" mentioned several times in the movie is a reference to Frank Sinatra who played the first role as 'Danny Ocean' in the original Ocean's Eleven (1960). Matt Damon's (Linus) fake nose disguise ploy is called "The Brody". It's a reference to the french actor Adrien Brody. The dialog phrase "Billy Martin" that Danny calls for to Willie during the Reuben's hospitalization is a gambling slang for second chance. The phrase refers to famed Major League Baseball New York Yankee's manager, Billy Martin. Despite his talents as a manager (he led the New York Yankees to two World Series titles); Martin's fiery temper, fueled by his alcoholism, often got him into trouble and as a result, he was fired multiple times by owner George Steinbrunner. Despite his character flaws and drinking, Billy Martin was always being given a "second chance". Also, the character's dialog make several references to a "Susan B. Anthony" deal in their heist. This is a reference to the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin manufactured by the US mint in 1979. It was so similar in appearance and size to a regular quarter and many people dropped it into a slot machine without realizing what it was worth. This 'con' method was used twice in the film, though the people are using an ordinary coin they don't realize that it will be worth millions in the slot: first by the woman in 'The Bank' casino who wins the million dollar jackpot and later by the tormented hotel reviewer at the Vegas airport slot machine.

*Emotion- The fun and rich romp for the viewer. Not only well acted, casted, and written, but hugely entertaining because the film-watcher can fantasize and become involved in the 'caper' as well.

*Based on- 60's Rat Pack and Frank Sinatra Vegas initial 'caper' film.

Totally Unnecessary

Author: aji_gps from Indonesia
20 October 2013

I liked ocean's eleven and I loved ocean's twelve for being so uncommon but I really thought that ocean's thirteen was unnecessary. This is really unfortunate remembering that it brought Al Pacino into the already all star cast.

There are some points why it became so redundant to the sequel. First, inconsistency. It really bothered me that Don Chaedel had a thick British accent in the first two movies but had a real American accent in the third. Also, François Toulour (Fincent Cassel) had really small role, despite remembering he was the arc nemesis of Ocean's Twelve.

Second Point, bad story. They were back at las Vegas that really gives the audience a "nothing new?" feeling. and there weren't any special plot twists, that made me feel like I wanted the film to end really quick.

I really regret it, with a cast like this they should'v made it really count, probably we should wait for the next generation to make the remake remake of ocean's eleven and then make it right about the third sequel.

Much better than Ocean's Twelve

Author: Bruce722 from United States
1 August 2013

Now this is what a sequel is supposed to be like. Ocean's Twelve was a joke but Ocean's Thirteen was fantastic and maybe even a bit better than the first film. George Clooney and Brad Pitt once again lead a fantastic cast and have some great moments of dialogue and back-and- forth. Those two are great on screen together. It also seemed like they were able to actually give each character a fair amount of screen time whereas in the second film most seemed meaningless. There wasn't much additional development of them but they all contributed to the film in some way. As for the actual plot, it felt more genuine and not just thrown together like the last one. All in all, it almost feels like a waste to even watch the second film other than a couple of comments and a character that barely sees the screen in this movie.