IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 29: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Funny Popcorn

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 August 2007

When Reuben Tishkoff (Elliott Gould) is double-crossed in a real state business with a luxury hotel in Las Vegas by Willie Bank (Al Pacino), he has a heart attack. Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt) plots a heist with their friends to revenge Reuben breaking Bank's casino.

The first point that calls the attention in "Ocean's Thirteen" certainly is the constellation of stars in the cast. The shallow screenplay makes this movie a funny popcorn, with a reasonable story and good acting. The producers that invested a high budget in the cast could have been more ambitious and selected also a better screenplay and director. Anyway, in spite of being disappointed with the flawed story, the film is entertaining and it is worthwhile watching it. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Treze Homens e um Outro Segredo" ("Thirteen Men and Another Secret")

Please, don't make Ocean's 14

Author: pazzo_bambina-1 from Armenia
5 July 2007

I understand it must've been a real blast for Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon and the rest of the cast making this film but watching it was nowhere near a party. First of all the script was so annoying. You have to watch it very attentively to understand anything they're saying and that's not very entertaining. Through the course of the film i felt like running out of the cinema it was so boring!! It only got a bit interesting at the end. I expected a movie packed with such great actors to be something a little bit more interesting. It's a shame. Each of them could've been doing some cool movie on their own this year if they hadn't been busy in the making of Ocean's 13.

Cool dudes, uncool jobs

Author: dibyajyotisarma from India
8 June 2007

***The review may contain spoiler***

Hollywood has this tendency to overstuff you with the same delicacies until you had had enough and ready to throw up. Sometimes back, it was the graphically gory films, Apocalypto, 300, The Hills Have Eyes. Then came the avalanche of sequels, 'threequels,' as they are popularly called, Spider-Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek, all showing up for the third time around… Ocean's Thirteen is the part of the same group. Steven Soderbergh's latest is probably the archetype of this whole 'threequel' thingy. For, the current film exits just for the heck of it, just because, the earlier two raked good moolah, the actors concerned agreed to do another film, and the producers had money flowing to back the project. After all, the film boasts of some of Hollywood's best looking men, Don Cheadle included! Other things, story or screenplay are just incidental. Soderbergh is the master of the art. No doubt about it. And the film works solely for this reason, George Clooney, at al notwithstanding. The original Ocean's Eleven is a 1960 heist film directed by Lewis Milestone starring Frank Sinatra as Danny Ocean. Soderbergh's 2001 film was a remake; the way the 2003 film The Italian Job was the remake of the 1969 movie. Then something happened. Its box office success warranted that a sequel should be made. In 2004, people paid for Ocean's Twelve as well. Hence, here's the 'threequel.' The common thread between Eleven and Twelve, was Andy Garcia. Ocean's band steals money from him in the first one and struggles to return it in the next. This time too, Garcia lurks around, but not as an adversary, but as an accomplice. In one sense he's number thirteen in Ocean's band of smart and handsome conmen. The adversary this time is Willie Bank (Al Pacino), an hotelier, one of the richest men in Las Vegas. Pacino provides a dignity to the role which otherwise would have appeared improbable in an already childish plot line. To say the plot is childish may be little harsh, but how do you appreciate a heist drama without the sophistication its demands. What the film lacks, desperately, is innovation. There's no nail biting, 'what will happen next' sequences. Everything happens too smoothly, to believe. First improbability, why would one of Ocean's original eleven would go to work for hated Mr Bank? But Reuben Tishkoff (Elliott Gould) does, and ends up in the hospital after a heart attack. Danny Ocean (George Clooney) comes to cheer his old buddy up with his friends Rusty (Brad Pitt), Linus (Matt Damon), Basher (Don Cheadle) and others and decides to bring Bank down. You see revenge is a funny thing, and interesting than a simple heist job. So they plan to make Bank bankrupt on the day his new casino opens. And they do it, all too easily. Phew! Why then, all this hullabaloo? The film scores on production design. It's sleek, very posh, with the beautiful Las Vegas location giving ample support. And it's filled with beautiful people, including two of the sexiest men alive, and with Clooney and his band having a ball. They are all friends in real life, and this shows on the screen. And when it's all over you are treated with a Frank Sinatra song. After all, he was the original Ocean!

One of the stupidest, or maybe even the stupidiest, dumb dumber dumbest movie ever...

Author: caespoo from Finland
5 January 2008

I just can't believe, for the life of me, how anyone can give this disjointed, pompous, silly, absurd, daft, foolish, half-witted, idiotic, inane, moronic, and downright stupid flick any kind of credibility by giving it so many stars. Preposterous...

Words are not enough, simply not potent enough to describe the absolute, the rock bottom stupidity behind this thing, can't even call it a movie. Resting on the famous names that have now discredited themselves...

I just can't emphasize enough the fact that this movie is dumb, it's dumb folks plain and simple: DUMB...

If I would have watched it for free I would have still demanded my money back.

Can't wait to see what 'Ocean's 20' will be like in 10 years.....

Author: a-little-squeek from Uranus
19 June 2007

.....I guess Carl Reiner will be about 115 years old by then. His son must be so proud.

I liked this film. The ensemble cast, as usual, was true to form and all interacted well. Don Cheadle, Elliott Gould, Carl Reiner, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and the Asian guy (whose name, regrettably, I don't remember) in a much appreciated somewhat expanded role, among others, all shine in their performances. I liked watching these GUYS on screen in concentrated form. David Paymer as the long suffering hotel reviewer gets the Best Actor award for this film. He's very good and fun to watch whenever he's on screen. There was a noticeable lack of a strong female presence. Weakest links...Pacino, doing his same old Al Pacino thing in a really bad toupee, Garcia, paunchy acting, paunchy looking, and especially Ellen Barkin whose performance seemed stilted and wooden. Guess she needs to get some remediation at Lee Strasburg's since she's been out of it for so long. Additionally, some of the camera angles employed in her scenes make her look very old, and there are a couple of shots where her breasts look like coconut halves glued to her chest. I enjoy Bernie Mac's presence and expressiveness, but will someone please get him a gift certificate for elocution lessons for Christmas? I can understand only about half of what he's saying when he speaks.

The plot development was pretty good and, as in the previous two installments, I enjoyed seeing the plan come together. I thought, however, that the initial premise for the heist was a bit weak...poor, poor Elliot...but how could he NOT see that coming ?! I tried to forget that the Chunnel drills were left at the bottom of the English Channel, since they CAN'T go backwards or be retrieved after the job was completed. The strike at the dice factory was fun to watch unfold and the monetary resolution made me laugh out loud. And just HOW long will Barkin and Damon sip wine before finally 'gettin' down to binness'? The movie's very glitzy and Vegas-y and made me think that I'd like to visit Vegas again after not having been there since all those renovations have taken place, about 14 years.

The main objection I have is the cost of the experience. $8.50 to get in, $5. for a SMALL popcorn, I brought my own bottle of water....$13.50 total!!! When will it end...........Rent it on DVD or see it at the $2. theater if there's one nearby, 'cause it's good....but not great!

The Next Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Author: skmediabox from United States
24 August 2007

A boat load of stars standing around while the director, (was one even on the set?), has them run through a few reaction shots, read a few lines, stand up, move around a little and in the end just insert edit their payday work into a standard low budget, no brain caper film that has the look of last years 'I've got all the new FX plug-ins' on my cool Final Cut Pro machine. Obviously in the execution of this sorry excuse for a film, the Writer(s), Director, and Studio couldn't even convince Brad Pitt, Matt Damon et al to even pretend (act?) they were aware of what movie they were in. It would be surprising if they even knew until they cashed their 'contractual obligation' paychecks that they where 'acting' in a movie that day. Al Pacino typically growls up a storm, and attempts to carry the film, all the while playing to a George Clooney that might as well have been green screened into their scenes, or the whole film for that matter. In short, a waste of time and money that all parties should be ashamed of being associated with.

A fortune won and lost on Soderbergh's deal

Author: richard_sleboe from Germany
18 June 2007

I knew it before I saw it, so I only have myself to blame. This isn't the third installment of a three-figure blockbuster. This is more like a nondescript episode of a second-rate TV series in its third season. The plot is so lame and the acting is so uninspired that I kept asking myself, why is it that Ellen Barkin's supposedly high-flying character only owns a single cocktail dress? "Ocean's 13" is beyond saving, even from Al Pacino and his self-travesty as gambling mogul Willy Bank. I expected a guest appearance, but in fact his is a surprisingly big part. Not that it helps. The only thing there seems to have been no lack of is spray-on tan, seen on virtually all actors. Also, wouldn't you agree a deliberately shallow movie at least needs a hot chick? The only one who comes even close is Olga Sosnovska as Debbie. It's a minor part, but from what I've seen of her preppy charm and cold ambition, I'd say she's Bond girl material.

Hard to miss with this cast, but they did

Author: B Schultz from United States
10 June 2007

This didn't produce. Very little engaging and fun repartee between the guys. Loved the "Oprah" bit. Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta-Jones are missed. Certain shots of Barkin are almost criminally unflattering to her. She's a beautiful woman, and they made her look stupid and sexually repulsive. It would have made for a better plot if some of the characters had really been interested in her, and distracted from their scam. No character development. Cartoonish stock characterizations used very little of the cast member's tremendous charm and wit. Plot was predictable stock with no cleverness or surprises. I love the premise and thought O-12 wasn't as bad as the some reviewers, but this one was a miss. See it, but wait for it to come out on DVD.

Frank is good!

Author: neilmac (neilmak3@yahoo.com) from Sydney, Australia
23 June 2007

Frank Sinatra that is. Listen to Frank deliver Lee Hazelwood's song "This Town" like nobody else could and enjoy - it's one of the few good bits.

And the movie? Flabby and self-indulgent. It is supposed to be a heist movie but the tension is never effectively developed. You get the impression that Clooney and his mates enjoyed the last one and decided to get together again in Vegas and knock out a movie while they were there. The cast seem to be enjoying themselves while forgetting the basics of movie making i.e. entertaining the audience. The pace sags in places and you never really get involved in the story. Elliot Gould and Ellen Barkin are good in their roles but that is not enough to carry the movie. Maybe Hollywood has forgotten how to make an effective comedy/thriller? The original Rat Packers were better than this - and they were singers, not actors...

Disappearing up it's own Sting

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
19 June 2007

After the pan-European schlep of '12' we're back in the Casino. The glitz and suspense of focusing on a single, spangly venue is a welcome return - and, of course, the glamour is half the reason for seeing the film.

However, the script is the choppiest yet. Non-sequitur dialogue bookends 'cool' aphorisms and the inevitable in-house jokes. This makes following the thing very difficult. I know it's meant to keep you guessing as to how they're going to pull things off but sometimes I wonder if Soderbergh has forgotten the audience.

Talking of forgetting people: having Al Pacino on the project as well as trying to find cameos for all those who have become part of the shenanigans means there's now not enough to go round. Bernie Mac loses out; Vincent Cassel & Andy Garcia's parts are lumpen add-ons. Even Pacino seems a bit diluted.

Loved Ellen Barkin though, who brought some haughteur back to the minority women's contingent. And a quick word too for Olga Sosnovska (an important character in the premium middle-period of BBC spy series Spooks) who managed to be striking and cool in her few moments as a Bank Hotel receptionist.

Passed an evening, but they can leave it there. I will. 5/10