IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 28: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Better than 12 but too much going on

Author: (berty2001@hotmail.com) from Dundee, Scotland
11 June 2007

Despite everyone slagging off Ocean's 12, I quite liked it. It was fun and silly, as opposed to the fun and cool of Ocean's 11. 13 definitely goes back to the first's style. However, it never really felt like it got going.

Ocean's 11 was simple idea - steal money from a vault in a complex way. Ocean's 13 was similar in that its back in Vegas, they're stealing money but this time the stakes are higher with revenge on the cards.

Spoilers However, despite it having this stronger motive, you never really felt that everyone was really up for it. The plan has too many aspects to it (the fixed tables, the jewels, the reviewer, Andy Garcia, the earthquake, the Mexican factory) and so lacks focus and a really good pay off.

As for Garcia, he's barely in it. I'm not sure why the felt they could write Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta Jones out in one line but have to keep Garcia in (answer: money).

However, apart from its faults, it was better than 12, but not as good as 11. The revenge aspect does ad really drive to the story, but it ends up pushing it off in too many directions.

Don't waste your money!

Author: (bostonlatin) from Libertarianville, USA
22 November 2007

The first question is why the heck did they make this movie? Just to bring all the off screen buddies back together again? I practically fell asleep watching this disjointed mess. The dialog was non existent, the direction jerky, I felt like the actors were going to break out laughing. "Didn't we do all this stuff in the last 2 movies?" I am not a gambler and Las Vegas stuff really doesn't interest me. Maybe the gamblers of the world thought all this stuff was fantastic and interesting. This has got to be the last one.

I've run out of things to say.

Don't waste your money.

I wanted to turn it off after five minutes - after an hour it has become unbearable

Author: mtrubic from Toronto
18 August 2007

Now, I don't even care how it ends, I haven't laughed yet.

I suppose all those actors who had the option of bailing out have pulled the cord (as was alluded to).

All those that remain are tied to this project and can be considered prisoners, – we should feel sorry for them - poor guys all of them

So much for being succinct - I need to add more lines to be considered for a reviewer.

Problems - no quick, sharp byplay between characters. The villain, as sharp and witty as ever there ever was, has no-one to interact with (after the first hour anyway)

Not as good as 11...Much better than 12.

Author: emrelanur from Australia
8 August 2007

Normally the sequel to a movie is a let down. Especially if the first part was really good. I think that's what's happened with Ocean's 12 for many but l hope this doesn't mean that they won't be watching '13'.

I was happy to see all of the same characters and actors together again because that is one big cool cast. Not to mention Al Pacino...icing on the cake.Who could resist?

For those who are in doubt about Ocean's 13, i hope you're not affected by some bad reviews because history doesn't repeat itself with this one. It's got an interesting story and some fabulous actors and acting. Don't miss out.

Weak movie, weak story

Author: valadas from Portugal
19 June 2007

"Ocean's 11" was an excellent movie, "Ocean's 12" was much less good and this one is merely passable. Our well known gang of crooks decides to revenge one of them who had been victim of another crook in some affair, by sabotaging the splendorous inauguration of the latter's casino in Las Vegas. Then we watch for two hours a tedious succession of the several actions of the preparation and carrying out of the sabotage plan most of them quite unplausible and not well explained. For instance the drugging and seduction of the swindler's right-hand lady by a young member of the gang leading her to take him to the secluded room where the diamonds the gang must steal are stored, is plainly ludicrous and unbelievable. If I rated this movie with 5 it was only for the performance of its cast including some famous actors like George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Al Pacino whose talents are here clearly wasted.

The Bottom of the Ocean.

Author: iso-kincses from Hungary
18 June 2007

I'm addicted to ensemble-cast flicks, so I simply had to see this, even though I had some very serious foreboding. I consider Ocean's Eleven a very stylish, slick, and well paced heist. I was a bit upset when I learned Soderbergh would make the sequel from lesser money which just sounds unfair. It's like you went to a good restaurant, gave a generous tip, even brought some friends next time just to find less on your plate.

Because (normally) money shows!

Don't get me wrong; I don't have anything against low budget. But a budget-cut sequel to a blockbuster sounds just fishy, without mentioning the extra aces like Zeta Jones, Cassel or the European locations. And if I'm wrong here, and they actually made it out of more money, it must have been used up for the above-mentioned stars and locations, for there were big, yawning gaps where some action should have been. R.I.P.

All right, you could think, now they're teaming up again to make up for it. Back to base, back to Vegas, back to the „original". Think again! This is just another desperate grip on the cow's tits which was killed with O12, so they shouldn't try to milk it again. Desperate it is, really. Remember the scene from 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' where Gus was counting money as Damon and Affleck lined up to serve a second helping, before they look frankly in the camera and say something about taking a role sometimes for a friend... I guess this was the case here. Meet up, dress up smart, talk smooth and let the camera roll.

- Cut. -Are we done yet? - How's Angelina? - Grand.

(Why 5 stars then? Just because with this cast I start counting from 5. Without the names it certainly would be just the one.)

As expected

Author: deker0000 from United States
17 June 2007

I cant say this movie was a disappointment. It was exactly what I was expecting: mediocre. The computer generated hotel, that seemed to move around the strip, was just silly. Its location changed from across from the Mirage (pay attention to the scene with Pacino and Gould at the construction site), to just south of Paris, to another location that looked like it was next to the Mandalay Bay (overhead shot). Weird. Maybe if I didn't live in Las Vegas, this wouldn't have bothered me. I have never seen Al Pacino play such a chump either. Kinda of a strange character. The most powerful man in Vegas, getting duped non-stop throughout the movie. Not very realistic. But, that goes with the rest of the movie. How about bringing in the two drilling rigs that carved out the tunnel under the English Channel between England and France? Amazing. Just flew them in, I guess. One of them at the spur of the moment. I could be wrong of course, but I did notice that there weren't many people laughing during the movie. Save your money and wait to rent it. Or better yet, re-watch Oceans 11.

A puddle not an ocean

Author: ntrbo1749 from Canada
16 June 2007

It took a while but the day after I realized: The word that summarizes this movie is "idiotic", possibly mindless.

Apparently (I fell asleep but 12 had a more complex plot - was this a way to make it more user friendly to the extreme formulaic so easy to digest no twists turns surprises or anything stimulating???) I had free tickets for this anyway so didn't mind. So it was a tad boring to say the least but kept the interest somewhat. Some would say it was insulting to their intelligence too. So much for a good story.

Further observations - could anyone (apparently a meany greedy man) like Bank (what a silly name) played by Pacino seem less upset or concerned about losing that much money? What saved this and made it mildly entertaining after a long week was the actors, aside from that guy that played Bank. They provided some levity.

Barkin should eat a Big Mac and retrieve the (bigger) nose she had in the Big Easy. She was much prettier then - and not because she was 20 years younger at all.

I discussed George Clooney with my mother and we both think he is getting more attractive with age! Thanks, Puddles

Funny Popcorn

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 August 2007

When Reuben Tishkoff (Elliott Gould) is double-crossed in a real state business with a luxury hotel in Las Vegas by Willie Bank (Al Pacino), he has a heart attack. Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt) plots a heist with their friends to revenge Reuben breaking Bank's casino.

The first point that calls the attention in "Ocean's Thirteen" certainly is the constellation of stars in the cast. The shallow screenplay makes this movie a funny popcorn, with a reasonable story and good acting. The producers that invested a high budget in the cast could have been more ambitious and selected also a better screenplay and director. Anyway, in spite of being disappointed with the flawed story, the film is entertaining and it is worthwhile watching it. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Treze Homens e um Outro Segredo" ("Thirteen Men and Another Secret")

Please, don't make Ocean's 14

Author: pazzo_bambina-1 from Armenia
5 July 2007

I understand it must've been a real blast for Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon and the rest of the cast making this film but watching it was nowhere near a party. First of all the script was so annoying. You have to watch it very attentively to understand anything they're saying and that's not very entertaining. Through the course of the film i felt like running out of the cinema it was so boring!! It only got a bit interesting at the end. I expected a movie packed with such great actors to be something a little bit more interesting. It's a shame. Each of them could've been doing some cool movie on their own this year if they hadn't been busy in the making of Ocean's 13.