IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Nothing interesting in the movie.

Author: paskovv from Bulgaria
10 August 2007

I am a fan of the first two movies I expected a funny and thrilling film. Nothing special in that movie.The parts before are much interesting. I think that is one of the worst movies these stars ever cast. Only good thing is that the action is going in Las Vegas. And I love Las Vegas.What can be really enjoyed are the colorful visuals and a bunch of stars that seem to enjoy themselves. All this prevents a worse vote. I was waiting so long for that movie and it is such a big disappointment. No suspense, no jokes, no fun only boring movie It is my opinion, but a lot of my friends agree with me.Judge for yourself at $00.00 an admission ticket, which is what I paid, and worth only half that amount.

A little better than Ocean's Twelve but it's mediocre and boring

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 August 2007

Rat Pack was the name of a group of friends(Dean Martin,Sammi Davis Jr.,Frank Sinatra,Joey Bishop,Peter Lawford and several more people)that,during the 50s and the 60s,had fame and reputation in the artistic environment(let's forget their subtle participation on the politic and the organized crime).They influenced in the popularity of Las Vegas.This group participated on some movies and when I remember them,it's easy to note the intention director Steven Soderbergh had when he made Ocean's Eleven(2001).Movies like Sergeants 3,Robin and the Seven Hoods or Ocean's Eleven(1960)assembled the members of Rat Pack.I did not like that movies and it was easy to note the story did not have any importance...only the interaction between the actors was important.So,Soderbergh did the same with Ocean's Eleven(2001)and its sequels.That movies do not have an interesting story...they are only worried on showing the interactions between the actors.By my point of view,Ocean's Thirteen is a little better than Ocean's Twelve but that does not solve the main problem:Soderbergh and his friends are not interested in telling a good story but on showing how cool they are and they wanna prove they are the successors of Rat Pack.This film shows us two hours of absurd and boring situations.The positive element from this movie are the supporting actors,like Ellen Barkin,Julian Sands,Vincent Cassel,Eddie Izzard and the great Bob Einstein(Super Dave Osborne).Their appearances are brief but they can give some credibility to this movie.Ocean's Thirteen is a little better than Ocean's Twelve but that's not saying too much because the movie is mediocre,boring and without a good(or,at least,interesting)story.

Snore

Author: Pocketplayer from Middle TN
17 July 2007

Can you say WAY too much detail before anything really starts to happen? The magic of the first film is not here and both Pitt & Clooney seem distracted. There isn't the zest and chemistry the first film had and they both look old. Man, has Pitt aged since the first film.

I didn't care for all the technique involved...give me story to hang onto. Instead of developing a good story and chemistry between characters, there was an overemphasis on setting up the heist with ridiculous detail at a fast pace. This is not good film-making and is exactly what happens when you have no real story, i.e. sequels that are past their prime.

I didn't enjoy this film and nearly puked when all the actors stood together at the end watching the fireworks go off like in the first film standing together watching the water in front of the casino they just hit. Snore! The last scene was a joke...Pitt telling Clooney he shouldn't get so fat before they see each other again (Clooney gained weight for another movie) and Clooney to Pitt telling him to start a family and get some kids (Pitt got married to Jolie and adopted kids).

Ha ha ha ha ... I hate cultural reference nobody will get in five years.

Not even close to Ocean's 11

Author: gikapa from Greece
4 July 2007

I don't understand why so many people have given this movie such a high rating. This is the first comment I write in IMDb and I am doing this only in order to say that this is a bad, bad movie. There is no suspense, no humor, no intelligence. Actually the only positive thing I can think about this movie is that it is glamorous and that is all. However, since glamor is not the first thing I look in a movie, I can honestly say that this film was a disappointment. First of all I got the impression that nothing happened in this movie. When comparing this movie to Ocean's 11 you will find that in Ocean's 13 there is no excitement, no climax and no humor. But the most annoying thing for me was that the plan of the heist was rubbish and full of not believable details. This just spoils the fun. It seems to me that the writers could not think of an intelligent plan and just made up a lot of things that just are not possible. This usually does not bother me in a film, but when you are watching a film about a heist you want it to be believable, you want to place yourself in the shoes of the con men and think that maybe this could be done. Overall, if you liked Ocean's 11 (like I did) it does not mean you will like this as well.

Another Buddy Movie.....

Author: Craig Somerville from Scotland
1 July 2007

Well after the disaster that was "Ocean's 12" I wasn't actually going to give this movie a chance, but after reading some positive reviews I decided to pay my money and take my chance. I wish I hadn't bothered. So many thing annoyed me about this movie-

1. George Clooney and Brad Pitt (Especially Brad Pitt!) Far far far too smug!!!

2. No Story, and I mean NO STORY, pointless almost, well except for the heist that is.

3. Al Pacino wasted, a very subdued performance from a great actor. Poor character development.

4. Too long.

5. Too smart a**ed, they had an OTT answer for EVERYTHING, and it started getting irritating after 10 min's of the movie.

6. SMUG............AGAIN..............!!!!

7. Actually will stop now,as listing the faults is boring me. Could go on and list most of the actors performances as "bad points" but won't bother.

The Good things about this movie-

1. Matt Damon, under used but really quite good when on screen.

2. Ellen Barkin, funny and a great character.

3.........No lets just stop at 2, can't think of anymore.

Overall I hated this movie, will give it 2 stars for the two "good" points.

Keep your money in your pocket and avoid this self obsessed, over indulgent mess.

** out of **********

Not a date movie, especially for women over, say, 30

Author: greengrrl from United States
24 June 2007

There is only one female character in Oceans' 13: Ellen Barkin as the second-in-command for Al Pacino. She looks like a movie version of the operations manager for the next in a series of five-diamond hotel. But she alternates bitchy business sense with weird little-girl cravings for approval from Pacino.

OK, Ocean's 13 is not a documentary, so you can just go with the flow, admiring her figure and sexy dresses. But her big scene with Matt Damon makes lusty women look stupid and pitiful. And it ends with an insult that reflects her foolish-seeming behavior back on all mature women.

The rest of the movie is complex yet without suspense. What a waste of an amazing cast. I gave it two stars for the design and costumes. But the rest of the film felt like the bad old Rat Pack days when they all had their automatic pilots set to max condescending. Ocean's 13 didn't even show the way the characters fit together or the complexity of managing a heist project.

Bottom line: do yourself a favor and just rent "The Italian Job."

Oceans 13: A Success, But Please..............No Oceans 14!!!

Author: moeedkhan75 from United Kingdom
18 June 2007

After the debacle that was Oceans 12, in addition to the recent lukewarm trilogy's this summer, it was good to see the boys back on track in this slick prequel.

The writing, script and general interaction between the characters seemed more worthwhile than its predecessor. However, despite the vast improvement, there were some elements of mediocrity. The middle portion of the film seemed laboured and haphazard. the plot becomes too confusing for its own good; but fortunately, it leads to a conclusive, if slightly unsatisfying finale.

Nevertheless, it's a good movie to kick of the summer, and will very emphatically erase any memory of the over-indulgent Oceans 12

Steven is Obi Wan

Author: sonofgodtrujesus from United States
18 June 2007

Steven is kind of like an idotsavant; I can never really tell what his motivation is behind his films, only this one was easy: pimp the pretty boys of Hollywood, stack cheddar (make money) until he's ready to do his normal avant-garde film masterpieces. One of my favorite film of all times in the history of film making, that I've seen in my limited and speck of a life times was Soderbergh's Limey; In my opinion it crushed Johnathan Glazer's Sexy Beast in its portrayal of old tuff guys. Steven is Obi Wan and given the ridiculous premise behind the Ocean series he's able to deliver what the people want: handsome Clooney and Pitt looking like GQ models and heart throbs while exercising genius level intellect in making hundreds of millions dollars from their enemies. Their are tons of aerial shots of Vegas which captures it's sheer immensity and focused invention of just having fun; sort of like a playground for the LCD/Plasma television generation. Images become boring after a while; even a gigantic construction machines can't make the small world of this film any more interesting. This film in no way exhibited the enormous potential of talents of this director. Brad Pitt was a little tongue tied in this film when delivering his lines; sort of like he has problems with large technical words. His acting; I'm sorry: his walking on the lot and collecting 20 million dollars was awesome, only he left nothing in return: non-existent performance. George Clooney was really good. He appeared to be working at making this Ocean work, but with no love interest there was just no charm or magic; yet he was still the sharpest tool in the shed. Clooney has yet to deliver a performance that has impressed me as a film lover; will this ever happen. Matt Damon always has a good while acting; it's natural, as if he's got nothing to prove. I love how he makes himself look like a complete ass in the Ocean's series, and this one may be his best effort yet: complete with props and new persona's. My favorite Damon film without hesitation or doubt has to be Good Will Hunting, just for the sheer fact that he made everyone look so good, thus "good will." The MVP of this film was Casey Affleck his character situation was the most hilarious. I seriously wanted to see how it all was going to play out. I'm not a big fan of the Affleck's but his character actually had me add some stars to this movie. Ocean's is a great weekend film, you just want to relax and rest your mind, unfortunately their isn't enough eye candy; their could've been at least 500 hot scorching babes to balance the scenes with all the hunks in this movie. I just can't believe out of all these unmarried men their was no hook-ups in Vegas; such plot deviations might've added to the humor and the feel of Vegas - OK flick; would'nt watch it again though.

Very cool, chic and fun but not great

Author: khunia from Australia
13 June 2007

I have been a fan of the Oceans franchise and this latest installment was quite a let down, It follows the same formula as the 2 previous however to myself it really felt rushed. There was no area where you thought how the hell are they going to get out of this one as in previous movies, you sort of new exactly how it was going to happen.

There seemed to be just far too many characters and because of that the actors have no time to develop any depth to their characters.

The best points in this movie as always for myself is the wonderful dialogue between clooney and pitt, and the ultra chic music that thumps along and makes you want to run off to vegas and join Oceans team lol.

At no point in this movie did I exclaim "What The ?", was more like "cool but i saw that one coming" Overall this is a wonderful, fun filled ride, however ultimately it brings nothing new to the franchise and adds nothing fresh. I would be surprised if we ever see an Oceans 14.

All at Sea.....

Author: Rob_Taylor
7 September 2007

Yikes....This was an exercise in endurance! This film reminded me again of how angry I am that evolution didn't provide me with a built-in sleep timer in my head. This is two hours of tedious consciousness I could have avoided otherwise! But here's the important parts broken down, and why they didn't work at all.

Exposition. Endless chatter between the characters about what they are going to do. This important screen-time far outweighs the actual doing of the plan. I reckon by a factor of at least three times. It wouldn't be so bad, but with that much laying out of the story, you'd expect by the time they get on with the job that you'd have a really firm grasp of what was going on.....but in reality, there are still many "huh?" moments that leave you playing catch-up with the events.

Fun. There wasn't a whole lot of it in this film. Few witty one-liners, few visual gags, few comic situations at all. I think I chuckled a couple of times....no laughs, no guffaws, just a couple of snorts of pseudo-laughter.

Action. Well, the CGI was minimal, thankfully, but so was the action. A bit of pretend elevator shaft acrobatics was all we got and that was as ridiculous as it was unconvincing. Other than that, the heady excitement of watching grown men discuss their cunning plans with one another. Ooooh, the thrill!

Plausibility. Not very good. The stupidest part was the effort they went to in order to get loaded dice. Who would have believed the top casinos in the world got their dice from a tiny plastics firm from Craphole, Mexico? And as for using the Channel Tunnel excavators to cause earth tremors.....don't even get me started. This is mustachio-twirling villain territory!

Actors. Well some of them at least tried to have fun. Matt Damon with his ludicrous fake nose, for instance. But for the most part, the feeling they all gave off was...."We have to do this, so let's just get on with it and get it over with as quickly as possible". No real passion, not even much in the way of over-acting. Just formulaic stuff as dull as the movie.

SUMMARY: 90 minutes of men chattering at one another and 20 minutes of pretend excitement. Do yourself a favor.....fast forward the first hour at least and some enjoyment might be derived from this dull film.