IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Really really disappointing.

Author: triple8 from Conn
15 July 2007

SPOILERS:

I gave Ocean's 11 a 9 out of 10. To say I loved that film is an understatement. I skipped Ocean's 12 but felt compelled to see this mainly because Al Pachino was in it. Maybe I shouldn't have because as far as I am concerned he was the only good thing about it.

All the wit, all the cleverness, all the charm and the great one liners, the excitement, the wonderful, energetic atmosphere....all that is gone. It's like everything that was good about 11 was cut and in it's place the direct opposite was done. Very disappointing. Except of coarse for the exceptional Mr. Pacino who of coarse, is wonderful but I do think he's kind of in the wrong movie. What I didn't like is listed below.

I liked Ocean's 11 because it was a "caper film"..and an incredibly clever one. What was clever about this? Not much. (And not much "caper" either.) Instead we get a series of jokes and pranks, some of them more annoying then funny, a series of short quick scenes(seriously-did any of the scenes last more then a minute?) I was getting a little dizzy with all the quick takes. And the movie drags too. I kept waiting for something to happen(or at least something with more interest then what was happening.) I think the original premise was good but at least make the "revenge" story a bit clever or different or INTERESTING. This was ordinary and even a bit below ordinary. In Ocean's 11 we get something incredibly complicated but exciting,with incredible energy. Here we get jokes and tricks and stunts about smells and rashes and a lot of the central plot didn't even make sense. (There is a difference between plot holes in the movie and the movie itself being one long plot hole.)I could go on but why bother? Suffice to say this was not what I expected.

And the absence of Roberts is disappointing as well as the fact that Clooney and Pitt do not even appear to be acting half the time rather then basically playing themselves or just being cute. The whole movie was a letdown.

The positives? Al Pachino, Al Pachino, Al Pachino! It was great seeing him in the flick and whatever else I say about it, seeing Al in it was maybe worth seeing the movie. In fact even though I basically disliked Ocean's 13 intensely it is not unwatchable and maybe major Pachino fans should check it out. But it is nowhere near the level of 11 and I'd rate this a 4 (am giving it an extra point for the Pachino factor.)My vote is 5 of 10.

Pretty But Ridiculous

Author: wasp755000 from United Kingdom
8 July 2007

This gets positive marks for its nice look - glitzy, slick deco with attractive actors accompanied by hip (or so they thought) music. As to the plot, are we really supposed to believe that nonsense with the giant drilling machine brought in - apparently with everyone else looking the other way, RIGHT UNDER THE TARGET CASINO? Is it usual for private individuals to drill huge tunnels under Las Vegas any time they feel like it?

Al Pacino is good in his part as the ultra-slimy casino boss - Dannys bunch of friends, while acting cool, unfortunately don't convince. They're just too clever to be true. A nice comfortable end to the trilogy, but ultimately a let-down.

Filling, but rather empty calories

Author: irmddj from Netherlands
6 July 2007

Ocean's 13 was pretty much a must-see for me and the girlfriend. So we bought tickets, and settled in.

My response to this movie is lukewarm at best. The crew is losing their touch; it's becoming more of the same. This time it's not even about a heist at all, just payback. Oh wait, there is a heist in there too, a plot device if I ever saw one, just to make the villain(s) of Ocean's 12 look like their pompous arrogant selves again. Basically, it feels like all the scraps left over from the first two movies were put in a big meat grinder which was then subsequently turned on. Like a the real thing, the result is filling for a few moments, but it's not wholesome, and you definitely don't want to know about the ingredients which are in there.

Even though the movie has an underlying plot/storyline, there isn't any sense of build-up or tension. Ocean's crew being Ocean's crew, you know that they are going to get away with it, so no points for originality there. And then it becomes a slow-to-start mixture of somewhat funny situations in which the crew is preparing their 'heist'. The movie felt like it was based on some general ideas on what to do, and that the crew were told to improvise to see what they could make of it. I was somewhat sorry as well as pleased to see Matt Damon's character Linus finally seeing some development: he's no longer the klutz of the group. And that was about the only truly original idea in the movie.

And that is really all there is to it. Therefore I consider Ocean's 13 to be the weakest of the trilogy by far. Granted, it made me smirk, some ideas were funny, but it didn't capture me like 11 and 12 did. Exactly like that sausage: filling, but only for a short while.

Go see it on DVD---it can wait that long. And make sure you see 11 and 12 before it, in that order.

Reality out the window....

Author: TrickTaylor from United States
5 July 2007

Let me begin by saying that I was a big fan of the first two installments of the Oceans franchise. I loved the wit and chemistry the big names brought to their performances. I was able to suspend my disbelief because the scripts allowed me to. Just barely, but they did. Then came Oceans 13, and apparently all pretense of reality has been chucked out the window.

As expected, fate and back-stabbing brings our lovable crew together again. Yep, they all show up. Yep, their task is impossible. And yep, somehow they are able to pull it off. The first sign of silliness is the new mega-hotel where the whole thing is set. The computer generated shots make it look like a space casino in Star Wars. This is the first sign that things in "13" will be totally over the top.

The casino's security system is some superpower artificial intelligence.....no problem. Cause an earthquake! What? Are you going to have me believe that not one, but 2 chunnel digging machines will be available and nobody will notice the friggin digging going on under the damn Vegas strip?!? Heist movies succeed because there is an aire of reality to them. If you start making stuff up that is too outlandish, then the drama of the situation is ruined. It is disappointing that the script writers had to go to such lengths to up themselves...leading to situations that are completely unbelievable. Ellen Barkin looks good, but she is completely wasted. The movie struggles to find stuff for everyone to do...again leading to stupid situations.

My hope would be that the Oceans films continue...but with a more organic script that focuses on creativity and character/situation development. Clooney, Pitt, and Damon et al can carry a movie without all the grand crap that went on in Oceans 13. Put them in a situation where everything is not at their disposal and you will have a better movie.

Suave but a Bit Flat

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
2 July 2007

I liked "Oceans 13," but I wanted to love it.

I love the handsome stars, the great clothes, the nifty sets, the music -- David Holmes' score is a really fun, retro trip back to 1965. I love the deadpan delivery of funny lines: "I just bit into a pepper," a man says, when caught tearing up. I love the payoff when scams reach their climax.

But I wanted this movie to thrill me as the previous "Ocean" movies have, and, while it was a slick good time, it wasn't memorable.

There is less character development here than in previous movies. Ocean is not pursuing Tess. Linus has pretty much proved himself.

There wasn't the spectacular stunts as performed by Shaobo Qin in "Ocean's 11" or Vincent Cassel in "Ocean's 12." "Ocean's 13" doesn't fully exploit Las Vegas -- we've seen this movie's Las Vegas before.

Al Pacino is kind of blah as the villain. I wasn't afraid of him; I just kept wondering why he had orange hair. Andy Garcia is more juicy in a smaller, ambivalent role.

The movie resuscitates the film career of Ellen Barkin. She looks spectacular: flat stomach, legs to die for, magnificent cleavage. And then what do they do? Humiliate her and make a bitter comment about how she is a woman "of a certain age." "Oceans 13" would have been a better movie if it had made better use of this hot actress. A sex scene between her and the ever cool Matt Damon would have perked the movie up.

How often can you fix a big problem in 2 minutes?

Author: xenolupa from Limburg
1 July 2007

Problems? Fix them in 2 minutes screen time. Winners and losers switching places every couple of minutes. Keep characters as shallow as possible, please keep them stereotypical, with a broody look on their face to try to let them look more intelligent.

Add some incredible thingies, oh wait, add a lot of those. The drill that drilled the Channel Tunnel from the French side... funny, but not really, and very incredible. Put on a fake nose and you won't be recognized. Raise a guy from the dead with lame poetry. Security? What security? Half a billion worth of diamonds that cannot be stolen, and after-wards the theft turned out way too easy.

I gave it a four for the couple of funny moments and another couple of good actions. Overall, this was a very disappointing film. The outcome was certain, it was told at the start.

Who Say The Number 13 Has to be Bad

Author: eric262003 from Canada
23 February 2009

After many disappointing threequels, this one does represent that "Ocean's Thirteen" third entry to the series is a charm. It great to see Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and his posse back in the action for another robbery, only this time it's much more personal over casual. Al Pacino stars as Willy Bank, a powerful Las Vegas casino owner who partners up with Reuben Tishkoff (Elliott Gould)to build a new new casino, but heads start to turn as Bank betrays Tishkoff and throws him of the partnership leaving him with absolutely nothing. After a series of verbal squabbling, Bank tells Tishkoff to "go screw yourself." This leads Mr. Ocean and his gang to bring down Bank for what he did in what is to be the ultimate heist for Ocean and the gang.

Members of the gang including Basher (Don Chedle) and the Malloy Brothers (Casey Affleck and Scott Caan) would rather have Bank's head on a silver platter. But that would be too easy for Ocean's gang and not much fun either. Instead they've plotted to get back at Bank and his Casino by toiling with the games so that one one wins in his casino and eventually will leave Bank bankrupt (no pun intended). Though the plan looks fun and easy, there is a slight burden to this diabolical plan. A security device called "The Greco" can spot gamblers if they're rigging the casino. This device can track a person's heartbeat or other quirky affliction to determine whether the gambling is done legally or illegally. So seemingly impossible to take down, the Greco, Ocean needs plenty of resources and hordes of cash in order to achieve this impossible mission to take down this security device. Fellow Ocean member Linus Caldwell (Matt Domon), suggests to Ocean to ask an old nemesis from the past, Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) to put their differences in the past and to back them up financially.

This is a pivotal and remarkable addition to the series that every fan of the series will get a kick out of. People were very upset about the previous outing "Ocean's Twelve" mainly because it wasn't intended to a sequel to it's predecessor "Ocean's Eleven". Here it revitalizes what made the "Ocean Eleven" a classic. Twelve is an even balance between Eleven and Thirteen, with "Ocean's Thirteen" being by far the best of the series. It certainly interesting that director Steven Soderbergh has created a movie where we're able to sympathize with con artists, making casino bosses, as evil villains with their mind set on power and corruption.

Another reason why this addition stands out is the performance of Al Pacino. When was this guy ever in a bad movie? His character depths have always stood the test of time and in "Ocean's Thirteen" it's no exception. Chalk up another great portrayal for Pacino who if it were another actor, the role of Willy Bank would've been clichéd, but Pacino made sure that wasn't the case. Whether he's playing good guys or evil-doers you can always depend on Al Pacino to make every movie he's in all the more riveting.

Weak, pointless, and forgettable

Author: thebengalimafia-1 from United States
9 February 2008

When I went to see Ocean's 12 I was expecting a heist film, but in the end we realize there really is no heist at all (depending on how you look at it). In the words of Eli Roth, "the only heist in Ocean's 12 was that the film robbed us of our money." It's true, because all the prep work for the heist in Ocean's 12 was negated by its ending. As if wasting people's time and money with Ocean's 12 wasn't enough for them, Clooney, Pitt, Damon and the gang are back for another crack at the Ocean's films.

Willie Banks (Al Pacino) has swindled Reuben Tishkoff (Elliot Gould) out of 4 acres of prime real estate, not to mention the rights to the newly built super casino that they co-financed. The casino project was a huge gamble for Reuben, and as a result of the betrayal, Reuben suffers a stroke Needless to say, this spurs the Ocean's crew into action. They don't care if they win, they just want Banks to lose and lose big. The movie really has no heist; again, it depends on how you look at things. This is much more of a revenge story than anything else.

Can you really even call this one a heist? Making a casino lose is no easy task, but in Ocean's 13, it seems anyone with a little know-how and a little luck can take out Banks casino. As they go around planning and preparing for the big night which will put Banks out of business, a million and one things fall into place without the crew even trying. The only thing standing in their way is the Greco; an impenetrable, unstoppable super computer that can detect a real win from an expected one.

The set-up for the heist is basically a series of excuses to tell jokes about what may or may not be happening in each actor's real life, none of which are even that funny. I still can't figure out how Danny Ocean's crew knew ahead of time about Tulour? They just chalk it up to "We were watching him the whole time." Well what made it so obvious? The movie was so stale, so dry; I walked out of the movie theatre wondering why I was so heavily invested in this film and its characters in the first place. But I know why; because it's Matt Damon, George Clooney, Brad Pitt in one more over hyped and over publicized, utterly predictable crap fest designed to give the public some cheap laughs and take our money.

This film might have been a bit more entertaining if the pacing had been better. But faster pacing wouldn't have completely saved this one; far from it. No matter how much you polish it, you simply cannot turn poop into gold. Clooney has gone on record and said that this was his last Ocean's film. So if the new head of the gang is Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt), let's hope the writer and director can pump some new blood (and life) into Ryan's 11.

Ocean's 13 - Drown It *

Author: edwagreen from United States
7 February 2008

Even an all-star cast can't save this misery of a movie.

Danny Ocean is back with his pack ready for another caper. The original Ocean's 11 was lousy and believe me, this one is no better.

I love Al Pacino's flaming red hair. At the beginning, I actually thought that Pacino's character would rival that in the wonderful Dick Tracy film. That role got him a supporting Oscar nomination. This picture he'd go absolutely nowhere. How about a little more excitement here such as terrorizing Elliott Gould?

Carl Reiner looked like he was ready to attend a Brighton Beach outing in this film.

Bernie Mac at the gambling table? He looked more like a super fool here. Ellen Barkin was just ridiculous in her role as Mr. Bank's (Pacino's) subordinate.

By the way, what's going on here? Are our motley crew more interested in breaking the bank or getting that piece of jewelry. Even the alleged earthquake scene was dull. Old ladies in a nursing home could run out faster in their wheelchairs.

A thoroughly ridiculous, poorly written film. Scrap it to the garbage dump.

Unlucky 13?

Author: HeadleyLamarr from United States
17 September 2007

I saw this film on a plane and fell asleep multiple times. There was nothing to keep my attention and the story seemed to be hastily cobbled together so the team could capitalize on the previous two films. Many mysteries remain for me - who kept calling Brad Pitt? What did he and Clooney keep talking about? What exactly was Matt Damon doing in the film? I only realized just now that the villainous guy who double crossed Eliot Gould was Al Pacino! So Al acted well enough to camouflage his usual persona. That is a plus.

The software guy first went on and on about how the system was unbreakable then Bingo he had a way to break it! The other cast - who knows what they were doing - some guy used to keep dealing cards and getting them all over the floor.

I have to say that star power is an awesome thing - even with complete lack of coherence and intelligence in how the plot was cobbled together every time I woke up either Matt or Clooney or Brad kept my eyes glued to the screen for a few minutes before the snoozies set in. Any other cast and no one would look twice at this film; heck they would walk out in the first 20 minutes.