IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Reality out the window....

Author: TrickTaylor from United States
5 July 2007

Let me begin by saying that I was a big fan of the first two installments of the Oceans franchise. I loved the wit and chemistry the big names brought to their performances. I was able to suspend my disbelief because the scripts allowed me to. Just barely, but they did. Then came Oceans 13, and apparently all pretense of reality has been chucked out the window.

As expected, fate and back-stabbing brings our lovable crew together again. Yep, they all show up. Yep, their task is impossible. And yep, somehow they are able to pull it off. The first sign of silliness is the new mega-hotel where the whole thing is set. The computer generated shots make it look like a space casino in Star Wars. This is the first sign that things in "13" will be totally over the top.

The casino's security system is some superpower artificial intelligence.....no problem. Cause an earthquake! What? Are you going to have me believe that not one, but 2 chunnel digging machines will be available and nobody will notice the friggin digging going on under the damn Vegas strip?!? Heist movies succeed because there is an aire of reality to them. If you start making stuff up that is too outlandish, then the drama of the situation is ruined. It is disappointing that the script writers had to go to such lengths to up themselves...leading to situations that are completely unbelievable. Ellen Barkin looks good, but she is completely wasted. The movie struggles to find stuff for everyone to do...again leading to stupid situations.

My hope would be that the Oceans films continue...but with a more organic script that focuses on creativity and character/situation development. Clooney, Pitt, and Damon et al can carry a movie without all the grand crap that went on in Oceans 13. Put them in a situation where everything is not at their disposal and you will have a better movie.

Suave but a Bit Flat

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
2 July 2007

I liked "Oceans 13," but I wanted to love it.

I love the handsome stars, the great clothes, the nifty sets, the music -- David Holmes' score is a really fun, retro trip back to 1965. I love the deadpan delivery of funny lines: "I just bit into a pepper," a man says, when caught tearing up. I love the payoff when scams reach their climax.

But I wanted this movie to thrill me as the previous "Ocean" movies have, and, while it was a slick good time, it wasn't memorable.

There is less character development here than in previous movies. Ocean is not pursuing Tess. Linus has pretty much proved himself.

There wasn't the spectacular stunts as performed by Shaobo Qin in "Ocean's 11" or Vincent Cassel in "Ocean's 12." "Ocean's 13" doesn't fully exploit Las Vegas -- we've seen this movie's Las Vegas before.

Al Pacino is kind of blah as the villain. I wasn't afraid of him; I just kept wondering why he had orange hair. Andy Garcia is more juicy in a smaller, ambivalent role.

The movie resuscitates the film career of Ellen Barkin. She looks spectacular: flat stomach, legs to die for, magnificent cleavage. And then what do they do? Humiliate her and make a bitter comment about how she is a woman "of a certain age." "Oceans 13" would have been a better movie if it had made better use of this hot actress. A sex scene between her and the ever cool Matt Damon would have perked the movie up.

How often can you fix a big problem in 2 minutes?

Author: xenolupa from Limburg
1 July 2007

Problems? Fix them in 2 minutes screen time. Winners and losers switching places every couple of minutes. Keep characters as shallow as possible, please keep them stereotypical, with a broody look on their face to try to let them look more intelligent.

Add some incredible thingies, oh wait, add a lot of those. The drill that drilled the Channel Tunnel from the French side... funny, but not really, and very incredible. Put on a fake nose and you won't be recognized. Raise a guy from the dead with lame poetry. Security? What security? Half a billion worth of diamonds that cannot be stolen, and after-wards the theft turned out way too easy.

I gave it a four for the couple of funny moments and another couple of good actions. Overall, this was a very disappointing film. The outcome was certain, it was told at the start.

Who Say The Number 13 Has to be Bad

Author: eric262003 from Canada
23 February 2009

After many disappointing threequels, this one does represent that "Ocean's Thirteen" third entry to the series is a charm. It great to see Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and his posse back in the action for another robbery, only this time it's much more personal over casual. Al Pacino stars as Willy Bank, a powerful Las Vegas casino owner who partners up with Reuben Tishkoff (Elliott Gould)to build a new new casino, but heads start to turn as Bank betrays Tishkoff and throws him of the partnership leaving him with absolutely nothing. After a series of verbal squabbling, Bank tells Tishkoff to "go screw yourself." This leads Mr. Ocean and his gang to bring down Bank for what he did in what is to be the ultimate heist for Ocean and the gang.

Members of the gang including Basher (Don Chedle) and the Malloy Brothers (Casey Affleck and Scott Caan) would rather have Bank's head on a silver platter. But that would be too easy for Ocean's gang and not much fun either. Instead they've plotted to get back at Bank and his Casino by toiling with the games so that one one wins in his casino and eventually will leave Bank bankrupt (no pun intended). Though the plan looks fun and easy, there is a slight burden to this diabolical plan. A security device called "The Greco" can spot gamblers if they're rigging the casino. This device can track a person's heartbeat or other quirky affliction to determine whether the gambling is done legally or illegally. So seemingly impossible to take down, the Greco, Ocean needs plenty of resources and hordes of cash in order to achieve this impossible mission to take down this security device. Fellow Ocean member Linus Caldwell (Matt Domon), suggests to Ocean to ask an old nemesis from the past, Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) to put their differences in the past and to back them up financially.

This is a pivotal and remarkable addition to the series that every fan of the series will get a kick out of. People were very upset about the previous outing "Ocean's Twelve" mainly because it wasn't intended to a sequel to it's predecessor "Ocean's Eleven". Here it revitalizes what made the "Ocean Eleven" a classic. Twelve is an even balance between Eleven and Thirteen, with "Ocean's Thirteen" being by far the best of the series. It certainly interesting that director Steven Soderbergh has created a movie where we're able to sympathize with con artists, making casino bosses, as evil villains with their mind set on power and corruption.

Another reason why this addition stands out is the performance of Al Pacino. When was this guy ever in a bad movie? His character depths have always stood the test of time and in "Ocean's Thirteen" it's no exception. Chalk up another great portrayal for Pacino who if it were another actor, the role of Willy Bank would've been clichéd, but Pacino made sure that wasn't the case. Whether he's playing good guys or evil-doers you can always depend on Al Pacino to make every movie he's in all the more riveting.

Weak, pointless, and forgettable

Author: thebengalimafia-1 from United States
9 February 2008

When I went to see Ocean's 12 I was expecting a heist film, but in the end we realize there really is no heist at all (depending on how you look at it). In the words of Eli Roth, "the only heist in Ocean's 12 was that the film robbed us of our money." It's true, because all the prep work for the heist in Ocean's 12 was negated by its ending. As if wasting people's time and money with Ocean's 12 wasn't enough for them, Clooney, Pitt, Damon and the gang are back for another crack at the Ocean's films.

Willie Banks (Al Pacino) has swindled Reuben Tishkoff (Elliot Gould) out of 4 acres of prime real estate, not to mention the rights to the newly built super casino that they co-financed. The casino project was a huge gamble for Reuben, and as a result of the betrayal, Reuben suffers a stroke Needless to say, this spurs the Ocean's crew into action. They don't care if they win, they just want Banks to lose and lose big. The movie really has no heist; again, it depends on how you look at things. This is much more of a revenge story than anything else.

Can you really even call this one a heist? Making a casino lose is no easy task, but in Ocean's 13, it seems anyone with a little know-how and a little luck can take out Banks casino. As they go around planning and preparing for the big night which will put Banks out of business, a million and one things fall into place without the crew even trying. The only thing standing in their way is the Greco; an impenetrable, unstoppable super computer that can detect a real win from an expected one.

The set-up for the heist is basically a series of excuses to tell jokes about what may or may not be happening in each actor's real life, none of which are even that funny. I still can't figure out how Danny Ocean's crew knew ahead of time about Tulour? They just chalk it up to "We were watching him the whole time." Well what made it so obvious? The movie was so stale, so dry; I walked out of the movie theatre wondering why I was so heavily invested in this film and its characters in the first place. But I know why; because it's Matt Damon, George Clooney, Brad Pitt in one more over hyped and over publicized, utterly predictable crap fest designed to give the public some cheap laughs and take our money.

This film might have been a bit more entertaining if the pacing had been better. But faster pacing wouldn't have completely saved this one; far from it. No matter how much you polish it, you simply cannot turn poop into gold. Clooney has gone on record and said that this was his last Ocean's film. So if the new head of the gang is Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt), let's hope the writer and director can pump some new blood (and life) into Ryan's 11.

Ocean's 13 - Drown It *

Author: edwagreen from United States
7 February 2008

Even an all-star cast can't save this misery of a movie.

Danny Ocean is back with his pack ready for another caper. The original Ocean's 11 was lousy and believe me, this one is no better.

I love Al Pacino's flaming red hair. At the beginning, I actually thought that Pacino's character would rival that in the wonderful Dick Tracy film. That role got him a supporting Oscar nomination. This picture he'd go absolutely nowhere. How about a little more excitement here such as terrorizing Elliott Gould?

Carl Reiner looked like he was ready to attend a Brighton Beach outing in this film.

Bernie Mac at the gambling table? He looked more like a super fool here. Ellen Barkin was just ridiculous in her role as Mr. Bank's (Pacino's) subordinate.

By the way, what's going on here? Are our motley crew more interested in breaking the bank or getting that piece of jewelry. Even the alleged earthquake scene was dull. Old ladies in a nursing home could run out faster in their wheelchairs.

A thoroughly ridiculous, poorly written film. Scrap it to the garbage dump.

Unlucky 13?

Author: HeadleyLamarr from United States
17 September 2007

I saw this film on a plane and fell asleep multiple times. There was nothing to keep my attention and the story seemed to be hastily cobbled together so the team could capitalize on the previous two films. Many mysteries remain for me - who kept calling Brad Pitt? What did he and Clooney keep talking about? What exactly was Matt Damon doing in the film? I only realized just now that the villainous guy who double crossed Eliot Gould was Al Pacino! So Al acted well enough to camouflage his usual persona. That is a plus.

The software guy first went on and on about how the system was unbreakable then Bingo he had a way to break it! The other cast - who knows what they were doing - some guy used to keep dealing cards and getting them all over the floor.

I have to say that star power is an awesome thing - even with complete lack of coherence and intelligence in how the plot was cobbled together every time I woke up either Matt or Clooney or Brad kept my eyes glued to the screen for a few minutes before the snoozies set in. Any other cast and no one would look twice at this film; heck they would walk out in the first 20 minutes.

We've been mugged

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
22 August 2007

At the heart of this film is a robbery that is just too easy to carry out but nets huge proceeds - and that just about describes the movie itself. "Ocean's 12" was so disappointing that it did not merit a sequel, but clearly the franchise was just so profitable that nobody could resist the temptation to milk the audience one more time.

In fact, "Ocean's 13" is not as bad as "Ocean's 12" with a much simpler - arguably too simple - plot, but it is nowhere near as good as "Ocean's 11".

It is such a lazy work: the same director and the same stars back in the original location have just spun the wheel one more time with no thought for more characterisation or some originality. The main stars, George Clonney and Brad Pitt, are more than pretty faces, as we saw in "Syriana" and "Babel" respectively, and Al Pacino and Andy Garcia are sadly underused, with even the one female character Ellen Barkin utterly wasted.

Yet, as before, Steven Soderbergh keeps things moving along and gives us plenty of flashy scenery and camera-work, so many viewers will not notice that they've been mugged.

Nothing interesting in the movie.

Author: paskovv from Bulgaria
10 August 2007

I am a fan of the first two movies I expected a funny and thrilling film. Nothing special in that movie.The parts before are much interesting. I think that is one of the worst movies these stars ever cast. Only good thing is that the action is going in Las Vegas. And I love Las Vegas.What can be really enjoyed are the colorful visuals and a bunch of stars that seem to enjoy themselves. All this prevents a worse vote. I was waiting so long for that movie and it is such a big disappointment. No suspense, no jokes, no fun only boring movie It is my opinion, but a lot of my friends agree with me.Judge for yourself at $00.00 an admission ticket, which is what I paid, and worth only half that amount.

A little better than Ocean's Twelve but it's mediocre and boring

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 August 2007

Rat Pack was the name of a group of friends(Dean Martin,Sammi Davis Jr.,Frank Sinatra,Joey Bishop,Peter Lawford and several more people)that,during the 50s and the 60s,had fame and reputation in the artistic environment(let's forget their subtle participation on the politic and the organized crime).They influenced in the popularity of Las Vegas.This group participated on some movies and when I remember them,it's easy to note the intention director Steven Soderbergh had when he made Ocean's Eleven(2001).Movies like Sergeants 3,Robin and the Seven Hoods or Ocean's Eleven(1960)assembled the members of Rat Pack.I did not like that movies and it was easy to note the story did not have any importance...only the interaction between the actors was important.So,Soderbergh did the same with Ocean's Eleven(2001)and its sequels.That movies do not have an interesting story...they are only worried on showing the interactions between the actors.By my point of view,Ocean's Thirteen is a little better than Ocean's Twelve but that does not solve the main problem:Soderbergh and his friends are not interested in telling a good story but on showing how cool they are and they wanna prove they are the successors of Rat Pack.This film shows us two hours of absurd and boring situations.The positive element from this movie are the supporting actors,like Ellen Barkin,Julian Sands,Vincent Cassel,Eddie Izzard and the great Bob Einstein(Super Dave Osborne).Their appearances are brief but they can give some credibility to this movie.Ocean's Thirteen is a little better than Ocean's Twelve but that's not saying too much because the movie is mediocre,boring and without a good(or,at least,interesting)story.