IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Yikes this one's pretty bad!

Author: tfun73
22 November 2007

I love the eye candy, retro feel and wink wink humor of the first two. Fun casting. Great use of settings. Big splashy Hollywood hokum.

By far though, this one's the worst of the three. Very dull. Nothing's going on. Little storyline. There is absolutely no electricity between the actors. Mainly the movie's weak due to the bad script. All the actor's though seem up to the challenge. Exception: Producer Jerry Weintraub gives himself more than a cameo...he should stick to producing.

Same fun music and trappings of the first ones. And everybody looks great. But even that didn't help me get through this clunker!

an unfunny mess

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
15 November 2007

When the original Oceans11 was made 45 some years back. It had BIG name stars, Both they & Las Vegas hotels & are were prominently featured.

When they remade this a few years back & in Oceans 12, You did have the same feeling.

NOW however in this mess called Oceans 13, I did not recognize Las Vegas at all.No scene in the entire film lasted more than seconds (so it seemed),---The entire movie went at such a fast pace, you did not know where you were & what was happening.I really did not care either. The frenetic pacing destroyed what ever enjoyment was to be had..

I mentioned the original film above. I can remember scenes from that movie. (last seen about 4 years ago). I cannot remember one clear scene from the mess I saw last night..

Besides the bad film editing, the direction was lacking as well.

It was as if the actors were doing as they pleased.

If this was supposed to be a comedy,How come there was nothing to laugh about.

Brad Pitt, Gearge Cloone & Matt Damon are the main stars BUT most scenes were either long or medium shots very few close ups, as if they were ashamed to be recognized. The others were barley recognizable. The old Warner Bros, films used to show the audience who was who, before the movie started, I wish they did that again

NOTE this practice was only in the early 1930's/

I just remembered that Al Pacino was in the cast as well. He did not over act here. Well no one was really acting anyway.

Ratings ** (out of 4) 54 points (out of 100) IMDb 5 (out of 10

excruciating drag

Author: Alex from Poland
8 November 2007

it takes a lot to make me post comments on a movie, especially since most of what goes on screen these days smells of a really cheap effort not even worth logging in. this piece of dreck however, was one too many.

i thought oceans 11 was OK. nice piece of entertainment. twelve was a serious mistake. 13 is not even a joke. just a way to cash in while not pretending to take viewers seriously. supposedly light, fun movie with a negative fun factor.

boring, convoluted, ill contrived plot with holes bigger than a TBM could bore. inside "jokes", puff dialogue sans humor and not a single bit of respect to common sense. it's almost as every little thing in this movie was just a plot device to overcome what stood in a screenwriter's way. from one stupid idea to another, viewers won't care. well, i don't care for movies that try to do just that.

three stars given for the sake of even worse productions that undoubtedly will have us cringing our teeth.

Dazzling but quite forgettable

Author: JRmf from Down Under
13 October 2007

The most irritating thing about the "Ocean's" movies is their super cool, casual style that would risk banality if they weren't so smart.

Danny Ocean and his crew are at it again to rob and humiliate a casino owner (Banks/Pacino) as payback on behalf of a friend, in undoubtedly the most technically elaborate scheme of the trilogy. The scheme is undoubtedly smart, but spelled out and executing with such exacting, grinding detail that the "climax" (to let patrons walk away with half a billion of Bank's loot) comes as no surprise and is over almost as soon as it begins.

Hi-tech vs hi-tech maintains some viewer interest and the visual delight of Las Vegas' best on offer can't be ignored. No sex (not that Ellen Barkin isn't sexy, I would have loved to see a bit of bodice-ripping), no real violence, lots of smarts - though in the end it seems, if not pointless and empty, certainly unmemorable.

The gangs are all here, yet again...

Author: jdkraus from Maineville, Ohio
16 July 2007

The gang is back for a third round. After stealing from Mr. Benedict in "Ocean's Eleven" and then having to pay him back in "Ocean's Twelve", what's next? This time, it is not for the money or the girl, but for vengeance.

Their next victim is an ego driven hotel manager Willy Banks (Al Pacino). When one of Ocean's eleven players, Reuben Tishkoff (Elliot Gould), decides to do business with Banks, he cuts him out of a heavy deal, which lands Reuben in the hospital from a sudden heart attack. So the players join together to rebuild Reuben's share of the hotel with what they know best…a multimillion dollar theft from Bank's hotel.

Once again, it is the "nice guys" against the "mean guys". I wouldn't call it "good guys" vs. "bad guys" because Ocean and his players are thieves, but they are pleasant people. Helping out a friend is not a common characteristic of a normal thief, and besides, they're charming, hysterical, and handsome fellows.

Watching Ocean and all his players again on the big screen was a hearty joy. Observing their various schemes and how they pull off the heist was very entertaining, making a satisfying two hour film go by quickly. The momentary moments of Andy Garcia on the screen as Mr. Benedict were also fun. Although, a new light of Al Pacino as Banks was shown on the screen as a ruthless and heartless "butthead" surprised me. Perhaps I haven't seen enough movies of Al. He was still excellent as he always is in his roles.

However, I missed the appearances of Julie Roberts as Tess, and Catherine Zeta-Jones from "Ocean's Twelve" as Isabel. It was all the guys this time. And there was one thing that bothered me at the end of the film.

After their victory, all of them pulled out cigars and puffed away. Okay, I know having a cigar after doing a deal is a common thing that guys do, but why glamorize it, especially in theaters, which can promote youths to smoking? Which is even worse is the fact that after Reuben recovered from his heart attack; he too was puffing away with them, as if saying "Okay, give me another heart attack." That's a slap in the face to the cardiologist! Cigarettes maybe banned from commercial advertisement, but having movies, like this restarts, this advertisement showing cool guys puffing away. It was an entertaining film and a good second sequel. Finale statement, it was better than the second, but not nearly as good as the first one. 8/10

Really really disappointing.

Author: triple8 from Conn
15 July 2007

SPOILERS:

I gave Ocean's 11 a 9 out of 10. To say I loved that film is an understatement. I skipped Ocean's 12 but felt compelled to see this mainly because Al Pachino was in it. Maybe I shouldn't have because as far as I am concerned he was the only good thing about it.

All the wit, all the cleverness, all the charm and the great one liners, the excitement, the wonderful, energetic atmosphere....all that is gone. It's like everything that was good about 11 was cut and in it's place the direct opposite was done. Very disappointing. Except of coarse for the exceptional Mr. Pacino who of coarse, is wonderful but I do think he's kind of in the wrong movie. What I didn't like is listed below.

I liked Ocean's 11 because it was a "caper film"..and an incredibly clever one. What was clever about this? Not much. (And not much "caper" either.) Instead we get a series of jokes and pranks, some of them more annoying then funny, a series of short quick scenes(seriously-did any of the scenes last more then a minute?) I was getting a little dizzy with all the quick takes. And the movie drags too. I kept waiting for something to happen(or at least something with more interest then what was happening.) I think the original premise was good but at least make the "revenge" story a bit clever or different or INTERESTING. This was ordinary and even a bit below ordinary. In Ocean's 11 we get something incredibly complicated but exciting,with incredible energy. Here we get jokes and tricks and stunts about smells and rashes and a lot of the central plot didn't even make sense. (There is a difference between plot holes in the movie and the movie itself being one long plot hole.)I could go on but why bother? Suffice to say this was not what I expected.

And the absence of Roberts is disappointing as well as the fact that Clooney and Pitt do not even appear to be acting half the time rather then basically playing themselves or just being cute. The whole movie was a letdown.

The positives? Al Pachino, Al Pachino, Al Pachino! It was great seeing him in the flick and whatever else I say about it, seeing Al in it was maybe worth seeing the movie. In fact even though I basically disliked Ocean's 13 intensely it is not unwatchable and maybe major Pachino fans should check it out. But it is nowhere near the level of 11 and I'd rate this a 4 (am giving it an extra point for the Pachino factor.)My vote is 5 of 10.

Pretty But Ridiculous

Author: wasp755000 from United Kingdom
8 July 2007

This gets positive marks for its nice look - glitzy, slick deco with attractive actors accompanied by hip (or so they thought) music. As to the plot, are we really supposed to believe that nonsense with the giant drilling machine brought in - apparently with everyone else looking the other way, RIGHT UNDER THE TARGET CASINO? Is it usual for private individuals to drill huge tunnels under Las Vegas any time they feel like it?

Al Pacino is good in his part as the ultra-slimy casino boss - Dannys bunch of friends, while acting cool, unfortunately don't convince. They're just too clever to be true. A nice comfortable end to the trilogy, but ultimately a let-down.

Filling, but rather empty calories

Author: irmddj from Netherlands
6 July 2007

Ocean's 13 was pretty much a must-see for me and the girlfriend. So we bought tickets, and settled in.

My response to this movie is lukewarm at best. The crew is losing their touch; it's becoming more of the same. This time it's not even about a heist at all, just payback. Oh wait, there is a heist in there too, a plot device if I ever saw one, just to make the villain(s) of Ocean's 12 look like their pompous arrogant selves again. Basically, it feels like all the scraps left over from the first two movies were put in a big meat grinder which was then subsequently turned on. Like a the real thing, the result is filling for a few moments, but it's not wholesome, and you definitely don't want to know about the ingredients which are in there.

Even though the movie has an underlying plot/storyline, there isn't any sense of build-up or tension. Ocean's crew being Ocean's crew, you know that they are going to get away with it, so no points for originality there. And then it becomes a slow-to-start mixture of somewhat funny situations in which the crew is preparing their 'heist'. The movie felt like it was based on some general ideas on what to do, and that the crew were told to improvise to see what they could make of it. I was somewhat sorry as well as pleased to see Matt Damon's character Linus finally seeing some development: he's no longer the klutz of the group. And that was about the only truly original idea in the movie.

And that is really all there is to it. Therefore I consider Ocean's 13 to be the weakest of the trilogy by far. Granted, it made me smirk, some ideas were funny, but it didn't capture me like 11 and 12 did. Exactly like that sausage: filling, but only for a short while.

Go see it on DVD---it can wait that long. And make sure you see 11 and 12 before it, in that order.

Reality out the window....

Author: TrickTaylor from United States
5 July 2007

Let me begin by saying that I was a big fan of the first two installments of the Oceans franchise. I loved the wit and chemistry the big names brought to their performances. I was able to suspend my disbelief because the scripts allowed me to. Just barely, but they did. Then came Oceans 13, and apparently all pretense of reality has been chucked out the window.

As expected, fate and back-stabbing brings our lovable crew together again. Yep, they all show up. Yep, their task is impossible. And yep, somehow they are able to pull it off. The first sign of silliness is the new mega-hotel where the whole thing is set. The computer generated shots make it look like a space casino in Star Wars. This is the first sign that things in "13" will be totally over the top.

The casino's security system is some superpower artificial intelligence.....no problem. Cause an earthquake! What? Are you going to have me believe that not one, but 2 chunnel digging machines will be available and nobody will notice the friggin digging going on under the damn Vegas strip?!? Heist movies succeed because there is an aire of reality to them. If you start making stuff up that is too outlandish, then the drama of the situation is ruined. It is disappointing that the script writers had to go to such lengths to up themselves...leading to situations that are completely unbelievable. Ellen Barkin looks good, but she is completely wasted. The movie struggles to find stuff for everyone to do...again leading to stupid situations.

My hope would be that the Oceans films continue...but with a more organic script that focuses on creativity and character/situation development. Clooney, Pitt, and Damon et al can carry a movie without all the grand crap that went on in Oceans 13. Put them in a situation where everything is not at their disposal and you will have a better movie.

Suave but a Bit Flat

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
2 July 2007

I liked "Oceans 13," but I wanted to love it.

I love the handsome stars, the great clothes, the nifty sets, the music -- David Holmes' score is a really fun, retro trip back to 1965. I love the deadpan delivery of funny lines: "I just bit into a pepper," a man says, when caught tearing up. I love the payoff when scams reach their climax.

But I wanted this movie to thrill me as the previous "Ocean" movies have, and, while it was a slick good time, it wasn't memorable.

There is less character development here than in previous movies. Ocean is not pursuing Tess. Linus has pretty much proved himself.

There wasn't the spectacular stunts as performed by Shaobo Qin in "Ocean's 11" or Vincent Cassel in "Ocean's 12." "Ocean's 13" doesn't fully exploit Las Vegas -- we've seen this movie's Las Vegas before.

Al Pacino is kind of blah as the villain. I wasn't afraid of him; I just kept wondering why he had orange hair. Andy Garcia is more juicy in a smaller, ambivalent role.

The movie resuscitates the film career of Ellen Barkin. She looks spectacular: flat stomach, legs to die for, magnificent cleavage. And then what do they do? Humiliate her and make a bitter comment about how she is a woman "of a certain age." "Oceans 13" would have been a better movie if it had made better use of this hot actress. A sex scene between her and the ever cool Matt Damon would have perked the movie up.