IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Gold-Plated Cow Patty.

Author: imxo
10 June 2007

"Ocean's Thirteen" is a glitzy, gaudy joke. Unfortunately for the audience, though, the joke is on them. I have felt more self-respect after visiting gypsy fortune tellers than I have after seeing this pile of glamorous, conceited, nothing. An Alka-Seltzer has more substance to it than this movie.

Undoubtedly, fewer and fewer people are going to remember that this movie is based on the 1960's Las Vegas so-called "Rat Pack" of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., comedian Joey Bishop, and actor Peter Lawford. For all their talents, all of them were on the down-side of their careers, some sliding faster than others. Considerations of money aside, once you reach Vegas your creative career is over. Next stop, Atlantic City. The Rat Pack were famous for being famous, and everything they did was some sort of unfunny in-joke. Nevertheless, the one positive thing you can say about them is that they were who they were.

With the Ocean's Thirteen bunch, though, they are not who they are. George Clooney may appeal to many people, but no one can accuse him of having a surfeit of talent. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon are still decent actors, but you'd never know it from the roles they play in this piece of self-centered fluff. One of them should have given up his role to Ben Affleck, an actor much more suited to the vapidity of these roles. And to see Al Pacino in this film is practically a national tragedy.

Mostly, though, I'm mad at myself for ignoring my movie instincts and for joining my fellow movie-going lemmings in donating money to the makers of this idiotic enterprise. See, the joke is on me.

Trash!!

Author: simon_van_der_kruk from Netherlands, Zoetermeer
25 June 2007

Last Friday I went out with a friend of mine. He fall asleep. I was watching the movie and thought: 'Can anybody tell me what is this about?' The characters were like robots, there happened nothing. Nothing to laugh, nothing to cry, no tension at all. The movie was boring. The clichés could be thought by a child. The hotel ranking man couldn't entertain me at all. Unbelievable that a top actor like Al Pacino decided to cooperate with such a bad movie. He can perform much better. Hollywood, please stop this awful Ocean's experiment, go and make exiting movies please!! Make thrilling movies that make you sit at the point of your chair!

Soderbergh - be ashamed!

Author: sohrabi70 from Denmark
8 June 2007

Everyone who's buying a ticket for this movie (like me), obviously liked the two first. And if you did that- well, you still will be disappointed.

Oceans 13 has all the unbelievable cast as before (- Julia Roberts) and has added Al Pacino. In my opinion this add made me not totally slaughter the movie, he was (as always) incredible in the role of casino owner Mr.Bank. The rest of the cast is actually just themselves, George Clooney plays George Clooney, and Brad Pitt- well, Brad Pitt... The actors is just enjoying themselves with what they know will be a box-office success anyways, so they don't really put in any effort.

Soderbergh really misses out on the poor dialog and (at some parts) confusing scenes, which makes everyone scratching their heads... You're looking for some scenes which makes you bite your nails(?)- look somewhere else, this movie has none! Soderbergh you should be ashamed- what a waste of talent! But, we all expected it- and as stupid as we are (myself included), we just hope that the amazing cast will make the movie worth while- as it should. It doesn't. Don't be fooled by the Big names, this is a movie that you wanna forget the second you go out of the theater! 3/10 (some points because of Pacino)

Good film, good film.

Author: freaky28962 from United Kingdom
8 June 2007

Just got back from from watching this and I'd have to say it's probably the best film I've seen in about six months. It definitely cheered me up after that disappointing Spiderman sequel. Don't get me wrong Ocean's 13 is not quite as good as 11 but it's still a good watch (Big improvement on the second one). The absence of Catherine Zeta Jones and Julia Roberts was a bit of a surprise, but I doubt their presence would have improved the film greatly. The addition of the great Al Pacino was definitely a big positive and as usual he played his role well and brought a lot to the film. The action sequence were well done, there are quite a few funny segments in the film involving some pretty hilarious disguises. The camera work and techniques are excellent. The story was a big improvement on O-12 but I agree with what I read in another review, that it definitely lacked the suspense of the first one. Nothing really happened where the whole plan went to cock and they had to quickly come up with an even more ingenious plan or else all was doomed. It was more like, oh no somethings broken, what do we do? I know, lets buy a replacement, Phew! Apart from that, everyone played their roles fantastically, with the exception of maybe Eddie Izzard who I think was a little off character, which I found disappointing because I really enjoyed his short part in the O-12. In summary I'd say; Room for improvement, still a really good film, definitely worth the price of admission.

Ocean's hits a lucky thirteen.

Author: jdesando from United States
5 June 2007

"The robb'd that smiles, steals something from the thief." Shakespeare's Othello

Andy Garcia's wealthy Terry Benedict is financing Danny Ocean's Vegas heist from casino owner Willie Bank (Al Pacino) in order to get the last smile of vengeance, thief to thief, while Danny and Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt) exact their own revenge. No honor among these slick reprobates, and good time is had by all the men and, this time, not Julia Roberts, but Clooney's real-life squeeze, Ellen Barkin, as Abigail Sponder, tough right hand to Bank.

I go to most movies as a film critic with my sensibility well-guarded against the fluffy confection of just another heist. But the Ocean's franchise, like the Bond's, has a cachet all its own with eye-pleasing duds, high-tech high jinx, and self-referential dialogue. Thus I am free to enjoy without feeling as if I'd sold out to crass commercialism—I have, but willfully and pleasurably.

I guess I'm sucked in like everyone else at the movies, even with as many as I've seen and written about, because I want to go where the director, in this case the estimable Steven Soderbergh, wants to take me. In Ocean's 12, it was all over Europe; in Thirteen it's the entertainment Mecca of the Western world.

No deep thoughts come to mind, just summer mindlessness dressed up for partying (Pitt and Clooney very nicely decked out, understatedly). Clooney's musings about the changes in Vegas since guys like him had shaken Sinatra's hand serves as "change" leitmotif lighter than air. Twenty years from now we'll be talking about the iconic Pitt and Clooney in the same nostalgic way. Ocean's Thirteen reinforces its place in popular culture as a repository for our transitory adulation of movie stars and the escapes they gave us long ago.

At the end, Matt Damon exits with "See you when I see you," a fitting piece of noncommittal that may promise another Ocean's installment or just more star sightings. Clooney says goodbye to Pitt with an in-joke the world is in on: "Hey! Next time! Keep the weight off. Pitt retorts, "Have a couple of kids." This is typical of the low-key, sweetly narcissistic third installment.

Ocean's hits a lucky thirteen this time around without a big jackpot but a great deal of good will.

At least they're back in Vegas

Author: SnoopyStyle
30 May 2014

This one starts with Reuben Tishkoff (Elliott Gould) in the hospital with everybody coming together around him. Then it goes back 4 weeks earlier. Reuben was afraid of being old and tried to build a hotel with Willy Bank (Al Pacino). Only he got double crossed by Bank and suffered a heart attack. Six months later, the hotel is finished and Bank is looking to get a five diamond award for his hotel. The gang comes up with a plan uniting with old enemy Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) to take revenge by taking away his hotel.

Steven Soderbergh and the gang have returned. The good news is that they're back in Vegas where this franchise belongs. The plan is as convoluted as ever. It's slightly better than Twelve, but the original excitement can never be recapture. This is more star gazing than anything else.

Thirteen's a Charm

Author: thesar-2 from United States
2 September 2013

I feel like a broken record, but I need to say it again: Ocean's Thirteen is the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade make-up film (to Temple of Doom.) Now, I am actually an unapologetic supporter of Ocean's Twelve, but I truly and really liked this chapter.

Does it match the original's originality, even though that was a remake? No, but it comes pretty damn close. And…they made it back to Vegas, where they belong.

The gang gathers around a fallen and deceived member and comes up with a brilliant and often hilarious plot to thwart the great Al Pacino.

Literally, that's the plot. Now, I don't mean to downplay it…I had an absolute blast here, but also admired this movie tremendously.

For example, the graphics and locations were amazing. I'm a stickler for "getting Vegas right." Con Air had the strip all over the place, including casinos/hotels that didn't even exist when the movie premiered. The movie 21 had "our heroes" stay in the Green Valley Ranch that had a convenient view of the strip, even though the strip is miles away. In Ocean's Thirteen, there was a fake casino erected, and the location they gave, it made sense. Even the views from the place and hotel rooms was accurate – had this place existed.

The comedy was back, the tension and fun was relevant and the suspense was key. If you loved 2001's Ocean's Eleven and that does happen to be one of my all-time favorite movies, you should truly love this. (Yeah, it helps if you saw Part "Twelve," but not 100% necessary.)

Third time's not the charm...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 November 2010

That's not to say all the Ocean movies are terrible. The first for me was very enjoyable, while the second while lazy and convoluted was okay. This film does have its moments, it is stylishly shot, has a brilliantly slick opening sequence and I liked the score. However, despite these good moments, it not only doesn't correct the mistakes of the previous time but makes more on the way. The direction is disappointingly lethargic, and the story is unevenly paced and convoluted. To me the script is not very good at all, in fact at worst some of it is pretty darn bad, while the film further suffers from being too long and too slow. Even the acting is disappointing, this is a great cast but some of them don't have much to do or don't know what to do with their material. Al Pacino comes off worst, he is a great actor but here he seems uncomfortable and uninterested. So overall, a disappointment really. I suppose it's worth a peak but I personally found it lazy and dull. 3/10 for being visually and technically accomplished. Bethany Cox

A Hollwood Catastrphe

Author: fbalogh1 from United States
26 December 2008

I watched Oceans 13 last night. I suspect that by next week I will have no recollection of it whatever. A star-studded cast, apparently a no limit production fund, great hype prior to its release, I was surprised at how disappointed I was. I come away from this movie thinking that it was just a grand boondoggle where everyone involved had a great time making it, probably were paid extremely well (or maybe donated their time and labor to the producers/ director). I doubt this film will ever make any money. There simply is no substance. I have trouble trying to understand how many of these fine actors ever got involved with this project.

Highly Watchable Fluff Quickly Forgotten

Author: John W Chance (Chance2000esl@yahoo.com) from San Francisco, California
26 December 2007

This film is not the kind of story I'm interested in (= the interactions among various Las Vegas casino owners), but I was curious as to what a film with so many current 'stars' would be like. I'd planned to turn it off to go to bed, but couldn't stop watching it wondering what was going to happen. Give credit to the film makers for this "I couldn't take my eyes off it" quality!

This was due to the fast paced editing; the complicated plans and details in having Danny Ocean's Thirteen simultaneously bankrupt the evil casino owner Willie Banks (Al Pacino) and steal his collection of diamonds; the quick cutting between so many characters and their roles in the plot; and as to whether or not Ellen Barkin was going to take off her clothes.

Finally the caper is pulled off, and as the main characters watch actual fireworks above the towering buildings, we think-- so what? Therein lies the problem. We really don't care about any of these people.

Only Al Pacino gets my sympathy because of his tremendous ability to convey presence in his acting, and Carl Reiner for his practically mini cameo as the reviewer. George Clooney in this movie seems like he's a fugitive runaway host from 'Family Feud,' or 'The Price is Right.' (I applaud his work in 'Fail Safe' (2000), which was done live in television in black and white, and the amazing 'Good Night and Good Luck' (2005) in which he, thankfully, only played a minor role.) This film kind of plays like an ensemble picture, but the ensemble characters interact with each other very little except mostly in pairs or trios.

The absolute fantasy of the caper is certainly appropriate to the fantasy that is Las Vegas itself, and should be viewed as such. It doesn't have to make sense, but just move along quickly and give each of the actors a little screen time.

This is a movie that will join the vast "Who Cares" heap of high budget films that twenty years from now will hardly ever be viewed, except to see the Brad Pitt 'walk ons.' I give it a 5.