IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Too bad...

Author: lisacamillek-1 from Switzerland
27 April 2008

I don't know why I went to see this movie. The entire film is driven by the motive of only one thing: A guaranteed success of screwing over a powerful hotel and casino owner by Danny Ocean and his gang because he gave one of Danny's men a heart attack. I've never been a fan of the Ocean's trilogy, and probably never will. This film and its predecessors may have very famous and lovable actors in them, but this definitely isn't their best. I'm afraid I was counting the seconds until it was over and regretted spending the money for it. This doesn't usually happen to me because I love films and always try to see the best in them. This isn't a BAD movie, per say, but it's very boring and isn't always clear. How many talented and great actors managed to fit in this film is beyond me. If you ask me, there are too many. Too bad.

very dumb - retarded level plot and scenario

Author: houmanrm from France
8 September 2009

I just can't believe, for the life of me, how anyone can give this disjointed, pompous, silly, absurd, daft, foolish, half-witted, idiotic, inane, moronic, and downright stupid flick any kind of credibility by giving it any stars. Preposterous...

Words are not enough, simply not potent enough to describe the absolute, the rock bottom stupidity behind this thing, can't even call it a movie. Resting on the famous names that have now discredited themselves...

I just can't emphasize enough the fact that this movie is dumb, it's dumb folks plain and simple: DUMB...

If I would have watched it for free I would have still demanded my money back.

Ocean's 13, very good job

Author: kachorritolosa from Windsor. VT
10 June 2007

Very good movie. Better than Ocean's 12 by far, but not better than Ocean's 11. Ocean's 13 has more the taste of Ocean's 11. Plus the MASTER: Al Pacino.

I saw it on Hanover, NH with my wife, and we liked it a lot. Clooney does a fine job, Pitt is just ... Pitt. He didn't do much in this movie. Pacino is good on everything he does. My favorite performance is the one from Carl Reiner. Ellen Barkin does a wonderful job as well. Lots of fun. Well done movie.

Very nice view of Las Vegas.

Highly recommended !!!

Not even close to the first one! Shame.

Author: nsterjo from Albania
9 June 2007

Too much talk, no action, no humor, no good enough plot and not big enough ending. You keep watching and expecting something really big to happen to make a climax, but suddenly you realize it's the ending. A real disappointment concerning the big names involved and the great acting.

And what was the deal with that nose? The tasks were made to seem pretty easy to achieve and there was nothing left from the former glory of the team.

A movie without spirit and essence.

A shame really!

Glad there's not going to be a forth one.

Yawn !

Author: danzs from India
9 June 2007

Its time now to end the series NOW before it causes any more embarrassment. Even an entire troupe of stars cannot save a movie if it lacks a soul.

Oceans 13 is all about a star studded cast doing their own thing. Not one manages to create a connection with the audience. Even the great Al Pacino has his limitations when the script does not allow any scope for character development.

This time around the pack wants to settle the score with sly and hardboiled Willie Bank (Al Pacino) for duping their colleague Reuben (Elliot Gould). The plan is simple. Willie Bank has to go bankrupt on the opening night of his casino.

To narrate how they go about it, the movie drags through the first half, and then drags some more during the second. There are just too many characters around and many more angles to think your way through.

I give this movie a 6/10 just for giving the audience the likes of Pacino, Clooney, Pitt, Matt, Don Cheadle and Garcia to feast their eyes upon.

Chill out on your bean bag and wait for the DVD release to watch this flick. Cause it just ain't worth your ticket money. Yawn!

A Gold-Plated Cow Patty.

Author: imxo
10 June 2007

"Ocean's Thirteen" is a glitzy, gaudy joke. Unfortunately for the audience, though, the joke is on them. I have felt more self-respect after visiting gypsy fortune tellers than I have after seeing this pile of glamorous, conceited, nothing. An Alka-Seltzer has more substance to it than this movie.

Undoubtedly, fewer and fewer people are going to remember that this movie is based on the 1960's Las Vegas so-called "Rat Pack" of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., comedian Joey Bishop, and actor Peter Lawford. For all their talents, all of them were on the down-side of their careers, some sliding faster than others. Considerations of money aside, once you reach Vegas your creative career is over. Next stop, Atlantic City. The Rat Pack were famous for being famous, and everything they did was some sort of unfunny in-joke. Nevertheless, the one positive thing you can say about them is that they were who they were.

With the Ocean's Thirteen bunch, though, they are not who they are. George Clooney may appeal to many people, but no one can accuse him of having a surfeit of talent. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon are still decent actors, but you'd never know it from the roles they play in this piece of self-centered fluff. One of them should have given up his role to Ben Affleck, an actor much more suited to the vapidity of these roles. And to see Al Pacino in this film is practically a national tragedy.

Mostly, though, I'm mad at myself for ignoring my movie instincts and for joining my fellow movie-going lemmings in donating money to the makers of this idiotic enterprise. See, the joke is on me.

Soderbergh - be ashamed!

Author: sohrabi70 from Denmark
8 June 2007

Everyone who's buying a ticket for this movie (like me), obviously liked the two first. And if you did that- well, you still will be disappointed.

Oceans 13 has all the unbelievable cast as before (- Julia Roberts) and has added Al Pacino. In my opinion this add made me not totally slaughter the movie, he was (as always) incredible in the role of casino owner Mr.Bank. The rest of the cast is actually just themselves, George Clooney plays George Clooney, and Brad Pitt- well, Brad Pitt... The actors is just enjoying themselves with what they know will be a box-office success anyways, so they don't really put in any effort.

Soderbergh really misses out on the poor dialog and (at some parts) confusing scenes, which makes everyone scratching their heads... You're looking for some scenes which makes you bite your nails(?)- look somewhere else, this movie has none! Soderbergh you should be ashamed- what a waste of talent! But, we all expected it- and as stupid as we are (myself included), we just hope that the amazing cast will make the movie worth while- as it should. It doesn't. Don't be fooled by the Big names, this is a movie that you wanna forget the second you go out of the theater! 3/10 (some points because of Pacino)

Ocean's hits a lucky thirteen.

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
5 June 2007

"The robb'd that smiles, steals something from the thief." Shakespeare's Othello

Andy Garcia's wealthy Terry Benedict is financing Danny Ocean's Vegas heist from casino owner Willie Bank (Al Pacino) in order to get the last smile of vengeance, thief to thief, while Danny and Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt) exact their own revenge. No honor among these slick reprobates, and good time is had by all the men and, this time, not Julia Roberts, but Clooney's real-life squeeze, Ellen Barkin, as Abigail Sponder, tough right hand to Bank.

I go to most movies as a film critic with my sensibility well-guarded against the fluffy confection of just another heist. But the Ocean's franchise, like the Bond's, has a cachet all its own with eye-pleasing duds, high-tech high jinx, and self-referential dialogue. Thus I am free to enjoy without feeling as if I'd sold out to crass commercialism—I have, but willfully and pleasurably.

I guess I'm sucked in like everyone else at the movies, even with as many as I've seen and written about, because I want to go where the director, in this case the estimable Steven Soderbergh, wants to take me. In Ocean's 12, it was all over Europe; in Thirteen it's the entertainment Mecca of the Western world.

No deep thoughts come to mind, just summer mindlessness dressed up for partying (Pitt and Clooney very nicely decked out, understatedly). Clooney's musings about the changes in Vegas since guys like him had shaken Sinatra's hand serves as "change" leitmotif lighter than air. Twenty years from now we'll be talking about the iconic Pitt and Clooney in the same nostalgic way. Ocean's Thirteen reinforces its place in popular culture as a repository for our transitory adulation of movie stars and the escapes they gave us long ago.

At the end, Matt Damon exits with "See you when I see you," a fitting piece of noncommittal that may promise another Ocean's installment or just more star sightings. Clooney says goodbye to Pitt with an in-joke the world is in on: "Hey! Next time! Keep the weight off. Pitt retorts, "Have a couple of kids." This is typical of the low-key, sweetly narcissistic third installment.

Ocean's hits a lucky thirteen this time around without a big jackpot but a great deal of good will.

Third time's not the charm...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 November 2010

That's not to say all the Ocean movies are terrible. The first for me was very enjoyable, while the second while lazy and convoluted was okay. This film does have its moments, it is stylishly shot, has a brilliantly slick opening sequence and I liked the score. However, despite these good moments, it not only doesn't correct the mistakes of the previous time but makes more on the way. The direction is disappointingly lethargic, and the story is unevenly paced and convoluted. To me the script is not very good at all, in fact at worst some of it is pretty darn bad, while the film further suffers from being too long and too slow. Even the acting is disappointing, this is a great cast but some of them don't have much to do or don't know what to do with their material. Al Pacino comes off worst, he is a great actor but here he seems uncomfortable and uninterested. So overall, a disappointment really. I suppose it's worth a peak but I personally found it lazy and dull. 3/10 for being visually and technically accomplished. Bethany Cox

Please, no more!

Author: steveinillinois from United States
7 February 2009

I enjoyed the first film in this series, but the second, "Ocean's Twelve," completely lost me with the absurd conceit of having Julia Roberts play a woman who just happens to look exactly like Julia Roberts. I had hoped that "Ocean's Thirteen" would return to a more plausible, smartly-written story. It did not.

Ocean and his band of suave criminals have almost limitless resources and superhuman capabilities -- so much so that I wondered why they were bothering to rob casinos at all. Their plan is set forth in a series of rapid-fire scenes which explain almost nothing, except that Ocean's team has instant access to anything and everything they need, including helicopters, earthquake machines, and biological weapons. Much information is withheld from the viewer, and it's easy to see when we're being set up for plot twists; I was immediately suspicious when a pompous FBI agent threatens to derail the scheme.

The movie is entertaining, mostly due to Soderbergh's stylish camera work and the terrific cast. But the logical gaps in this film are embarrassingly huge, and there's no tension in watching the film's characters at work. It's just too effortless for them. I sincerely hope that there is no "Ocean's Fourteen" ... if there is, it will probably involve Danny Ocean using a time machine.

For a good example of what a well-written, stylish contemporary caper film can be like, rent the BBC series "Hustle."