IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Sucks

Author: DavidBrent22 from United Kingdom
25 August 2008

The other 2 oceans films were at least good to watch but this movie is a real stinker. NOTHING HAPPENS It's just like watching Brad Pitt and George Clooney hold a conversation for 2 hours. I was nodding off while watching this movie and the few times i looked back at the screen it was just more people in suits talking to each other. This movie will depress you and make you feel like pulling your hair out begging the director to please show something interesting. The other actors in this film do all the same thing as the 3 main actors just talking and smiling. this movie is really a waste of time and if you like it then you do not no what a good film is.

Ocean's 13, very good job

Author: kachorritolosa from Windsor. VT
10 June 2007

Very good movie. Better than Ocean's 12 by far, but not better than Ocean's 11. Ocean's 13 has more the taste of Ocean's 11. Plus the MASTER: Al Pacino.

I saw it on Hanover, NH with my wife, and we liked it a lot. Clooney does a fine job, Pitt is just ... Pitt. He didn't do much in this movie. Pacino is good on everything he does. My favorite performance is the one from Carl Reiner. Ellen Barkin does a wonderful job as well. Lots of fun. Well done movie.

Very nice view of Las Vegas.

Highly recommended !!!

Not even close to the first one! Shame.

Author: nsterjo from Albania
9 June 2007

Too much talk, no action, no humor, no good enough plot and not big enough ending. You keep watching and expecting something really big to happen to make a climax, but suddenly you realize it's the ending. A real disappointment concerning the big names involved and the great acting.

And what was the deal with that nose? The tasks were made to seem pretty easy to achieve and there was nothing left from the former glory of the team.

A movie without spirit and essence.

A shame really!

Glad there's not going to be a forth one.

Sexual Editing

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
17 June 2007

Is this the most valuable franchise in film? Will it last for a decade?

I like Soderbergh. I even like him when he has no goal in the world but making money through simple entertaining.

I like him because he actually thinks about film. About the bullets the towels. The phrases and melodies.

Superficially, this has two overt components. One is the well established con form. The strict version is that we don't fully understand what is going on and "see" it only at the end. Then it all makes sense. This is a weaker version where we see some of the plotting and problems. This is where the jokes are.

The second overt component is simply coolness. Its the sort of coolness that Apple-inspired ad editing has given us, in opposition to the heavy rap-gangster intimidation-coolness of the last great sales cycle. This is referenced within the movie with a bit about an all American black jumper (with a Jewelled flag on his teeth). Its colorful, fast. The pace is translucent with the music. Vegas Cellophane. The actors are cool. Even Matt Damon, who knows cool, plays uncool with coolness.

But its the technique here that impresses. Shots have shape and how those shapes are modulated (as they usually are not) and then assembled with those shapes forming new ones, is a matter of unique style with this filmmaker. Look at how fertile soft ends are punctured by sharp beginnings so that the very passage of time in the eye here is a matter of conceptual copulation.

Look at how many shots end on one of those colored artificial flavors and create a romantic movie at the atomic level as if a John Coltrane was compressing a thousand easy ballads into a few moments. This takes knowledge and the filmmaker has to actually operate the camera to pull this off. It was in his "Limey" and not in the other Ocean's.

And it takes an editor who knows. The best editor was found fresh off "Babel" which among other variations, had the three segments vary on shotshape assembly. This matters. This is a five diamond film, yes?

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.

Yawn !

Author: danzs from India
9 June 2007

Its time now to end the series NOW before it causes any more embarrassment. Even an entire troupe of stars cannot save a movie if it lacks a soul.

Oceans 13 is all about a star studded cast doing their own thing. Not one manages to create a connection with the audience. Even the great Al Pacino has his limitations when the script does not allow any scope for character development.

This time around the pack wants to settle the score with sly and hardboiled Willie Bank (Al Pacino) for duping their colleague Reuben (Elliot Gould). The plan is simple. Willie Bank has to go bankrupt on the opening night of his casino.

To narrate how they go about it, the movie drags through the first half, and then drags some more during the second. There are just too many characters around and many more angles to think your way through.

I give this movie a 6/10 just for giving the audience the likes of Pacino, Clooney, Pitt, Matt, Don Cheadle and Garcia to feast their eyes upon.

Chill out on your bean bag and wait for the DVD release to watch this flick. Cause it just ain't worth your ticket money. Yawn!

A Gold-Plated Cow Patty.

Author: imxo
10 June 2007

"Ocean's Thirteen" is a glitzy, gaudy joke. Unfortunately for the audience, though, the joke is on them. I have felt more self-respect after visiting gypsy fortune tellers than I have after seeing this pile of glamorous, conceited, nothing. An Alka-Seltzer has more substance to it than this movie.

Undoubtedly, fewer and fewer people are going to remember that this movie is based on the 1960's Las Vegas so-called "Rat Pack" of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., comedian Joey Bishop, and actor Peter Lawford. For all their talents, all of them were on the down-side of their careers, some sliding faster than others. Considerations of money aside, once you reach Vegas your creative career is over. Next stop, Atlantic City. The Rat Pack were famous for being famous, and everything they did was some sort of unfunny in-joke. Nevertheless, the one positive thing you can say about them is that they were who they were.

With the Ocean's Thirteen bunch, though, they are not who they are. George Clooney may appeal to many people, but no one can accuse him of having a surfeit of talent. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon are still decent actors, but you'd never know it from the roles they play in this piece of self-centered fluff. One of them should have given up his role to Ben Affleck, an actor much more suited to the vapidity of these roles. And to see Al Pacino in this film is practically a national tragedy.

Mostly, though, I'm mad at myself for ignoring my movie instincts and for joining my fellow movie-going lemmings in donating money to the makers of this idiotic enterprise. See, the joke is on me.

Soderbergh - be ashamed!

Author: sohrabi70 from Denmark
8 June 2007

Everyone who's buying a ticket for this movie (like me), obviously liked the two first. And if you did that- well, you still will be disappointed.

Oceans 13 has all the unbelievable cast as before (- Julia Roberts) and has added Al Pacino. In my opinion this add made me not totally slaughter the movie, he was (as always) incredible in the role of casino owner Mr.Bank. The rest of the cast is actually just themselves, George Clooney plays George Clooney, and Brad Pitt- well, Brad Pitt... The actors is just enjoying themselves with what they know will be a box-office success anyways, so they don't really put in any effort.

Soderbergh really misses out on the poor dialog and (at some parts) confusing scenes, which makes everyone scratching their heads... You're looking for some scenes which makes you bite your nails(?)- look somewhere else, this movie has none! Soderbergh you should be ashamed- what a waste of talent! But, we all expected it- and as stupid as we are (myself included), we just hope that the amazing cast will make the movie worth while- as it should. It doesn't. Don't be fooled by the Big names, this is a movie that you wanna forget the second you go out of the theater! 3/10 (some points because of Pacino)

Ocean's hits a lucky thirteen.

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
5 June 2007

"The robb'd that smiles, steals something from the thief." Shakespeare's Othello

Andy Garcia's wealthy Terry Benedict is financing Danny Ocean's Vegas heist from casino owner Willie Bank (Al Pacino) in order to get the last smile of vengeance, thief to thief, while Danny and Rusty Ryan (Brad Pitt) exact their own revenge. No honor among these slick reprobates, and good time is had by all the men and, this time, not Julia Roberts, but Clooney's real-life squeeze, Ellen Barkin, as Abigail Sponder, tough right hand to Bank.

I go to most movies as a film critic with my sensibility well-guarded against the fluffy confection of just another heist. But the Ocean's franchise, like the Bond's, has a cachet all its own with eye-pleasing duds, high-tech high jinx, and self-referential dialogue. Thus I am free to enjoy without feeling as if I'd sold out to crass commercialism—I have, but willfully and pleasurably.

I guess I'm sucked in like everyone else at the movies, even with as many as I've seen and written about, because I want to go where the director, in this case the estimable Steven Soderbergh, wants to take me. In Ocean's 12, it was all over Europe; in Thirteen it's the entertainment Mecca of the Western world.

No deep thoughts come to mind, just summer mindlessness dressed up for partying (Pitt and Clooney very nicely decked out, understatedly). Clooney's musings about the changes in Vegas since guys like him had shaken Sinatra's hand serves as "change" leitmotif lighter than air. Twenty years from now we'll be talking about the iconic Pitt and Clooney in the same nostalgic way. Ocean's Thirteen reinforces its place in popular culture as a repository for our transitory adulation of movie stars and the escapes they gave us long ago.

At the end, Matt Damon exits with "See you when I see you," a fitting piece of noncommittal that may promise another Ocean's installment or just more star sightings. Clooney says goodbye to Pitt with an in-joke the world is in on: "Hey! Next time! Keep the weight off. Pitt retorts, "Have a couple of kids." This is typical of the low-key, sweetly narcissistic third installment.

Ocean's hits a lucky thirteen this time around without a big jackpot but a great deal of good will.

Return to quality

Author: Maziun from Poland
21 June 2014

After the disappointing „Oceans 12" this one is a pleasant surprise. The magic is back and it was once again fun to meet with Danny and his gang. It's not as good as the first movie of the series , but it's fun anyway.

The story is simple – Danny and gang want to avenge Reuben who was hurt by evil Bank (Al Pacino in good form). Their plan is complicated and they will have to face many obstacles. Sometimes the story is illogical in few places and little predictable. It is however much better than the overloaded story in "Ocean's 12".

If you enjoyed the first movie , you should enjoy this one too. The acting is very natural and the dialogues are witty . Quite a lot funny moments (Oprah !)The directing is top notch. Movie looks and sounds good. The old cast is back with the exception of ladies (Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta Jones).

Good entertainment in old Hollywood style. I give it 7/10.

At least they're back in Vegas

Author: SnoopyStyle
30 May 2014

This one starts with Reuben Tishkoff (Elliott Gould) in the hospital with everybody coming together around him. Then it goes back 4 weeks earlier. Reuben was afraid of being old and tried to build a hotel with Willy Bank (Al Pacino). Only he got double crossed by Bank and suffered a heart attack. Six months later, the hotel is finished and Bank is looking to get a five diamond award for his hotel. The gang comes up with a plan uniting with old enemy Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) to take revenge by taking away his hotel.

Steven Soderbergh and the gang have returned. The good news is that they're back in Vegas where this franchise belongs. The plan is as convoluted as ever. It's slightly better than Twelve, but the original excitement can never be recapture. This is more star gazing than anything else.