IMDb > Ocean's Thirteen (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Thirteen More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 29: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Slick

Author: Cedric_Catsuits from United Kingdom
25 July 2011

The script is witty, intelligent and performed beautifully by a superb cast, but in terms of action this doesn't quite match up to the gang's previous thrilling and complex plots, which is why I have "only" rated it a 7.

That's not to say it's just an average film - it out-performs many of the more explosive, more violent and more thrilling blockbusters of the genre. You can't beat quality, and this movie (like the previous two) has oodles of quality and class.

Actors give meat to the characters which are complete and interesting, and there are no dumb lines. The writing and direction are top notch, and the finished product looks and sounds polished and refined.

Definitely a cut above other movies, if not previous Oceans.

You shook Sinatra's hand. You should know better.

Author: lastliberal from United States
23 June 2008

I won't say there will not be an Ocean's Fourteen because Rocky and Rambo seem to go on and one, and this may too, but it would be a shame. This movie was just a shadow of Ocean's Eleven and it seemed that the stars were phoning it in.

The best part of a caper film is the setup. There was little of that present here. It was more concerned with given stars like Andy Garcia some air time. It just didn't work for me and I felt that they were just looking for another paycheck for the gang.

Of course, I will join the fans of People and Teen Choice, and say that I enjoyed seeing George Clooney and Brad Pitt again, but I was unimpressed with their performances. I also like seeing Ellen Barkin, but she was way below the standard she set in The Big Easy. Eddie Izzard is always enjoyable.

Let's hope that they don't do any more.

While better than the second sequel....

Author: MLDinTN from TN
16 June 2008

this was still no jackpot. The movie offers nothing new and the conn is difficult to follow in the beginning. I was confused as to what was going on. You need to watch it twice to follow how they are setting up the casino. I liked it better the second time watching it because it made sense then. But any movie you have to watch twice just to understand what is going on is not what I would call good movie. This time around Danny and his gang are after Willy Banks. Banks two timed their friend Rueban causing him to have a heart attack. So, they want payback by sabotaging Banks' casino opening. Their plan is to rig all the games so everyone is a winner. Then to get all out of the door before they gamble the winnings back to the casino. Rigging slots, craps, roulette sounds impossible right; well not when you are super cool George Clooney and Brad Pitt. They also must find a way to snatch Banks' 5 diamond necklaces worth 1/4 billion.

All the players are back except Julie Roberts and Catherize Zeta Jones. Ellen Barkin and Al Pacino are the new addition to the cast. They were OK.

The conn just didn't seem spectacular, nor was there a lot of action. There were a few funny parts that if were missing would make this a bad film.

FINAL VERDICT: OK, if you like the first two, then you'll like this.

Unsustainable

Author: quike-1 from Switzerland
21 May 2008

Perpetuation of some very misguiding myths. I went to Las Vegas last year, and it IS really a symbol of an empire, albeit a decaying one. A world where most of the natural rhythms are lost, and the real transgressions and follies are institutionalized and centralized in this fake city of make believe: money and power, sex and love, can be bought and sold because elsewhere missing. All this powered by an unsustainable amount of energy, perpetuating an unsustainable way of life. This movie, like it's predecessors, in some ways attacks this status quo by showing how this group of stars are in some ways "Robin Hoods" or "Lupins": criminals on the good side. A theme I usually like; but a taste that would've been sufficiently appeased by just one of these Ocean's movies.

OK without Cheedles awful attempts at an accent

Author: webmaster-2039 from Canada
4 September 2007

without Don Cheedle, this would have been OK. His pathetic attempt at an English accent is embarrassing - whenever he opens his mouth it makes me cringe! Sorry Don, as an actor, you're OK, but give up with the accents, it's not your forté. The plot is a little too obvious, especially with a cast like Matt Damon (great in everything I've seen him in), Clooney, Pitt, Mac, etc; they all do a good job, but seem like they're almost sleepwalking through some parts. Casey Affleck is fun as usual. Pacino? I've never really understood why people think he's so great, but I guess it's down to personal taste. I personally think the "series" is done. But it could have been a long lasting one without such obvious stories and without the terrible terrible accent of Mr Cheedle. A shame, and not something I'd recommend going to see. Get it when it's been out at the store for a while, and only costs $1, then fast forwarding through some cringe-worthy parts will make it worth watching.

Letdown

Author: linda_mosh from Mexico
4 July 2007

After 10 minutes into it, I thought, "This is going waaaaay tooooo slooooow".

The fast-pace from the previous two films is gone in this one. No brilliant plan, pretty straightforward and s-l-o-w.

They tell you the plan in the first few minutes of the film and basically you watch them carry it out. A lot of useless scenes that don't contribute much to the story, not enough witty comments or jokes or last-minute problems being solved brilliantly.

The ending is good, though.

Overall, the film doesn't live up to expectations. Mine anyways.

Ocean's Thirteen is perfection for the perfect trilogy

Author: reneweddan from United States
26 September 2010

Great film, great acting, great script.

I believe this trilogy has been the best trilogy I've seen yet. The first Oceans throws you into the trilogy, immersing you into a storyline vastly superior to many. The second Oceans is a step down from the first, but it is great for what it is, a heist film, which focuses more on the heist than the gambling. The third Oceans is a great finish, it leaves you wanting more, but sadly, with the death of Barnie Mac in real life, the possibility would be in a way... disrespectful.

The third does not let down.

Most trilogies would've had this play out as all three heists, but the interesting thing is that every movie has a different plot altogether, not focused on heists as much as the storyline about the heists.

I love this trilogy, the star power, and the brilliance.

Cheers

A very average movie... and the worst of the saga

Author: Bioweapon from Argentina
14 February 2010

Ocean's 11 was a decent movie with a very good plot twist at the end. Ocean's 12 was a smart comedy with very good performances from all actors. And Ocean's 13 is a movie that passes by unnoticed.

Although performances were acceptable, the plot isn't attractive. Reuben got betrayed by Pacino, had a heart stroke and the guys want revenge. And that's fine. But Sodenbergh tries to make PAcino look like some invincible character, and his hotel like some sort of hi-tech Alcatraz where no one can steal anything, nor commit fraud because of some sort of "supercomputer" and super ultra high technology. The problem with this is that this looks so artificial and forced that is difficult to believe. There are some "funny" moments but they don't make you laugh hard.

Besides, there is no way Benedict would trust a guy like Ocean after what happened in the first movie. That's a flaw in the movie. Another flaw is that they don't explain why PAcino is so upset with Mr Bank, leaving aside the fact that the Bank hotel is supercool and is a strong competitor to the Bellagio.

One more flaw is that Sodenbergh made Toulour (one of the best's thieves of the world in O12) look like some sort of brainless thug that is easy to deceive.

For all this reasons Ocean's 13 = 5*

A trilogy to embrace

Author: LeftMindBlind
29 December 2007

As far as trilogies go, well, to all those here on IMDb who clicked in a 6 or below, I say, "what exactly do you expect from a third effort stretching the same conceptual storyline?" I would like to chime in on just one aspect of the movie. First, I really enjoyed the movie, and found it to be refreshing, surprising, and full of new unpredictable content.

The fact that there was not a heavy presence of estrogen from some leading character made the movie all the more intelligible, at least from a majority of what I would like to think is the male perspective; how most guys would view the third Oceans. You have to consider...the role played out in the first two movies were weak anyway, (I say this to all who feel that a woman lead character was missing from the third movie) and just a bit of filler at best if you really consider it as I just typed. I liked the third Ocean's effort without that dominant female character. I thought it brought just the right measure of thievery. Yeah, to those who felt gypped from a lack of female presence, well ya know what? You WERE robbed! HA - HA!

Behold the Star Power!

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
14 November 2007

Sometimes I like to watch mainstream, blockbuster extravaganza type movies. Sometimes I just wanna mimic Al Bundy, stick my hands down my pants and just completely unravel myself in an entertaining Hollywood, star-powered, cinema party. So I go out and rent Ocean's 13. And ya know what? It did the trick. The movie had the wit, the charm, the star-power and the pretty fun story to pass 2 hours of my miserable life. I suppose at a couple times during the flick I had to think a little bit about what was going on since this story was pretty involving with what they were trying to accomplish; a heist, a man-made earthquake, seducing women....lotsa stuff. But hell, I had fun while watching it and I reckon you will too.