IMDb > Itty Bitty Titty Committee (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Itty Bitty Titty Committee More at IMDbPro »

Could have been awesome

Author: graymalkin_2 from United States
10 November 2007

IBTC was the opening night film at the Indianapolis LGBT film festival and I did not enjoy it. The most frustrating aspect of this film is that it had a good premise and could have been something truly powerful for the community.

For all of its expression of feminist empowerment, it is utterly amazing that the filmmaker expects the audience to accept that the main character can use and abuse the friendship of the transgender character and be together with the pretty little femme girl, who has a history of using and abusing other women. That ending completely undercuts many of the themes of the film itself.

On top of that, the only characters with any depth at all are those that, interestingly enough, are more stereotypically feminine in their appearance. The more ambiguous characters are all very one-note.

And that ending...the plot holes are glaring. How did Aggie find himself operating a camera on a nationally-syndicated television show without being discovered by those who already work there? Also, someone has clearly commandeered the control room and no one is attempting to take it back? Oh, and how long have such talk shows been broadcast live, with no delay or edit? I'm sure that someone will point out that this is a comedy, but it should still be consistent in its own logic.

Once again, Jamie Babbit has come up with an interesting premise and refused to do it justice.

Where are the actual itty bitty titties on feminine women?? I did notice the bad nose job, though.

Author: sonic_splendor from United States
28 October 2010

Disappointing. The lead characters have sizable boobs that would be considered "acceptable" by most men and women. Plus, one of them has a terrible nose job. When you already "have boobs," it's not as big a deal to refuse a padded bra as when you have "no boobs" and are considered "flat-chested," which is what I have experienced for many years. Where were the feminine characters with itty bitty titties?? I didn't see any in this film. It's possible to be femme and have small tits-- as in A or AA cup, not B cup or larger-- although the brainwashing forces of society would have us believing otherwise. For a conventionally pretty girl with tits (Melanie Diaz) to start an "Itty Bitty Titty Committee" seems condescending and indulgently self-righteous. I want to see itty bitty titties for real, and not only on "butch" women. Where is the authentic physical representation? This movie is not real. It's a minefield of mixed messages just like any other media geared towards women.

An excellent movie which surprised me a lot

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
20 January 2009

Some friends of mine recommended me the film Itty Bitty Titty Committee because they know the lesbian film Kissing Jessica Stein is one of my favorite romantic comedies.I did not like that film only for the lesbian subtext,but because I found it funny,honest and much more credible than most of the romantic comedies,in which the central couple falls in love because the screenplay says so and not because the story,performances or dialogues make us believe on that.Although I liked Kissing Jessica Stein more,Itty Bitty Titty Commitee is an excellent film which goes much more far away than being a simple romantic comedy,thanks to its intelligent screenplay and its fascinating ideas.The themes and messages from Itty Bitty Titty Committee are valid and simply great.This movie represents a great antidote against craps like Aquamarine and Bratz : The Movie,in which the female ideal is represented by the sizes of the bosoms,the popularity and the fashion.This movie also uses the "culture jamming" to spread its ideas,something similar to what people like Abbie Hoffman and Joey Skaggs did to show the hypocrisy,stupidity and contradictions from the society.The great thing this movie does is that it takes all that ideas putting an own ideology which leaves the spectator thinking and discussing when the movie is over.I truly admire when a movie provokes that on the spectator (at least in my case).I also appreciated the irreverent attitude from the audacious screenplay.The performances are excellent because they show enormous energy and enthusiasm.The only fail I found on this movie is that the ending could have been a bit more polished.But that's a minor fail which did not avoid me to like this movie very much.Itty Bitty Titty Committee is a brilliant movie which kept me enormously entertained and interested thanks to its performances,style,energy and its excellent screenplay,which is full of sharp dialogues and which has something to say.And,besides of entertaining me a lot,this movie also left me thinking.We need more films like this one.

Disappointing

Author: Kirstie Wilkinson from United Kingdom
28 July 2011

I had high hopes for this film, after loving 'But I'm a Cheerleader', but frankly, I was disappointed. It was particularly difficult to empathise with the main character, Anna, because she just came across as a bratty, angsty teen without any depth. The relationship between Anna and Sadie was terrible. I just couldn't bring myself to route for them, because Sadie treated Anna terribly and Anna was better without her, as shown at the end when the plan comes together. I hated the ending because I just didn't like the relationship and how it was built up. This film would have been better if it focused on the group more as a whole, because it raised some issues that are important, and had more interesting characters in it than Anna and Sadie.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend this as a 'must-see' lesbian film, because there are so many that are better. But it raises some interesting political debates, so as long as you're not too bothered about liking the characters, you should watch it.

Tonally and noticeably alive, but glaringly empty

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
5 February 2013

Rarely have the ideas of social rebellion, political anarchism, and radical feminism reached such an uninspired status. Itty Bitty Titty Committee seems like a gay film for the self-conscious or the quiet homosexuals; a film that they can watch and release their inner-self, yelling at the screen and even going as far as personally siding with the character(s). However, due to its thin and uncertain nature, this film doesn't appear to have much of a thought as to what direction it wants to go in. Political commentary? Humanizing the feminists in general or the characters in the film? The idea of exercising the right of an opinion in a country that fears unpopular ones? These are all discarded while the film attempts to make up its mind.

The story concerns Anna (Melonie Diaz), a young woman working at a plastic surgery clinic and has just gone through a rough breakup. She is inhabiting a life of utter dullness, slogging through numerous patient appointments, and obtaining stress from her sister, whose wedding is right around the corner. When she meets Sadie (Nicole Vicius), a social activist responsible for the "C(i)A" (aka, "Clits in Action," if you couldn't make out the little text reference. The C(i)A works in giving the impressionable public a taste of the strength that women possess, yet are forced to repress in a male-dominated culture. They reject marriage, both gay and straight, defile public landmarks, and stage protests with strong, incorruptible messages feeding on power and deviance. Anna soon becomes consumed in this lifestyle, and her morals and ethics become flipped upside down as her obedient nature is turned into a smarmy, non-conformist personality-change that feeds on ego and narcissistic intentions.

There's nothing more disappointing than a film with an idea that results in a missed opportunity, and Itty Bitty Titty Committee is a grand one. Its idea could instantly brew a fiery sociological debate among pro-feminist and anti-feminist activists based on the content and issues it shows to its audience. Unfortunately, it gives us dull, archetypal anarchists whose motivations seem to not be because of global needs, but shallow personal ones. Our lead characters, mainly Sadie, seem less concerned with how others feel and more concerned about their well-being and personal needs.

Even the monologues delivered by the members of the C(i)A leave a lot to be desired. When we're dropped into a world foreign to our "normal" one in films, we'd like to be provided with a little backstory into the setting, time period, and philosophy of the characters. Consider Red State, Kevin Smith's film that focused on a devoutly religious family that committed atrocities against gays and non-believers. The leading male, Michael Parks, was given a roughly ten minute monologue expressing the motivations of his church in a shivering and unblinking shot. The dialog given to the audience here is disjointed, largely unmemorable, and those unaware of feminist goals or common tactics will not learn very much about them other than they are self-righteous, outcasts in society, and very concerned about how many site visits they'll receive. And they have a talent for swaying Anna with their tactics in only what seems to be a few days.

On the bright side of things, director Jamie Babbit (of But I'm a Cheerleader fame) continues to show promise in her career as a director, as do several of the actresses here, and the soundtrack and cinematography were the two primary things keeping me alert and in-tune with the film. Yet the lack of an introduction on feminism itself, the repetitive state of events, the senseless and absurd ending, and the emptiness of any deeper meaning, Itty Bitty Titty Committee quickly spirals down to the level of forgettable obscurity I'm almost certain it was trying to avoid.

Starring: Melonie Diaz, Nicole Vicius, and Melanie Mayron. Directed by: Jamie Babbit.

Itty Bitty Titty Committee - Babbit's finger is on the pulse of queer cinema

Author: Bobby from United States
15 August 2008

Wickedly talented director Jamie Babbit once again has her finger on the pulse of queer culture with this wry romantic comedy in which anarchic punk twenty-somethings vivaciously vandalize patriarchal symbols under the name of the C(I)A (Clits in Action). Fresh out of high school, mundane lesbian Anna has no direction or motivation. Having recently broken up with her girlfriend, she is the maid of honor at her picture perfect sister's wedding and works a monotonous job at a plastic surgery clinic. It's not until she meets foxy Sadie as she's spray painting empowering statements on Anna's office window that she wakes up and finds a purpose. Intrigued, she follows Sadie down a seedy back alley to her guerrilla girls' headquarters and meets the other members—angst-laden artist Meat, brainchild Shulasmith and ally transman Aggie. Even though these rebels are a bit slapdash, their down-with-the-man attitude and infectious style has the precocious baby-dyke fired up and joining the fight! As the estrogen flows during a crucial road trip, frolicking friends and alluring glances ignite a steamy romance between Anna and Sadie that could upset the delicate order of the C(I)A. Set to the inspiring riot grrl music of Sleater-Kinney, Bikini Kill and Le Tigre, Itty Bitty Titty Committee isn't your traditional feminist film: instead, it's an ode to grrl power for the gender-bending queer punk generation.

This film was a lot of fun! As passionate and serious as these anti-male-dominated-society grrls tried to be, they tended not to stray too far from reality and didn't take themselves too seriously. There were lots of hard laughs for me, starting with the name C(I)A and ending with the take-over of the Marcy Maloney TV set! In addition to all the fun and laughter, I also enjoyed the themes of friendship, loyalty, betrayal, and purpose. 10 stars!

Great in the beginning, a bit "been there, done that" towards the end.

Author: PeachHamBeach from Morro Bay, Hammett Valley, Twin Rocks
1 July 2015

I once tried to submit my review a couple of weeks ago, but somehow there was some glitch about "gender" being one of the prohibited words. So I will try once more.

I mostly enjoyed this engaging story about a small sect of feminists and lesbians who call themselves the C(i)A. In fact, that really would have made a better title for the film, which was more about the whole of feminism and equality than women altering their bodies to appease some societal standard. Ana (Melonie Diaz) is a young lesbian trying to get over a recent breakup. She works in a cosmetic surgery clinic. She doesn't really love her job, but she's undecided about what to do with her life, so she just goes with it. One night, she hears someone spray-painting her building with feminist slogans and tries to call 911, but when the beautiful and enigmatic Sadie (Nicole Vicius) struts up to her, Ana falls in love again, and is quickly swept up into the C(i)A's political demonstrations and takes their message into her heart.

But maybe a little too much. There is nothing wrong with being a lesbian, and there is certainly nothing wrong with being a feminist, but when Ana begins acting bitchy towards her older sister, who is getting married, talking about how marriage is a stupid and useless institution, she is being ugly and inappropriate, hurtful and disrespectful. Remember, Ana, many people still believe in marriage and want it in their lives, even lesbians and feminists. I presume Ana has taken the influence of Shulamith (Carly Pope), the no-nonsense leader of the C(i)A who often takes angry, confrontational stances on things, but where Shulamith is mostly controlled and constructive, Ana is just being bratty. In fact, Ana, being the main protag, is kind of unlikeable in many ways. She has an annoying habit of putting "Ahhh" on the ends of many sentences/names/words, i.e. "Sadie-ahh! Please-ahh!" It's just an annoying habit, like nails on a blackboard. The other thing that made me mad was how she used Lauren Mollica's character, Aggie, during a fight with Sadie. Sadie was less annoying than Ana, but her constant battle with "obligation" vs. ending a relationship with an older feminist (Melanie Mayron) that is no longer viable is irritating too. The supporting cast is mainly what makes this film fun and engaging. I am in lust with Daniela Sea, who plays Calvin, and I love the character Meat (in spite of her being named after a balding guy playing a high school jock in the Porky's movies!), played by Deak Evgenikos. Good cameos/small roles include Melanie Lynskey, Jenny Shimuzu, Leslie Grossman, and Guinevere Turner.

The ending seemed way too contrived. Attacking the white phallus in Washington? Didn't seem plausible at all. It would have been so much more fun and realistic if a cool pirate or indie TV station had caught the girls in one of their milder stunts and interviewed them on TV. The could have all sat, smiling, their faces on screens all over the country, saying, "You may not like what we have to say, but we're saying it anyway." A good effort for the most part.

Alright

Author: Ruby Nattrass
2 October 2013

The movie a slow kick off. I will say it is a movie that represents a good feeling of honor, slight crude humor and has you walking away from the movie feeling very feminist. The acting isn't at its best but it could be worse. The story line and attitude it brings along with it is very teen and yet it makes you feel happy to be who you are and even dare I say it the movie shows a representation of really just a 'You Only Live Once' vibe yet for me I enjoyed that. I would watch the movie again yet not on a regularly basis. So putting the topics to a summary the movie contains a healthy attitude to body image, a comforting look into the LGBT community and a good explanation and understanding of how society and the government combined can be manipulated against it self and alter the minds of the community. So to wrap it up I would say the movie is defiantly a unique one and is worth seeing.

Fun Film That Actually Explores Some Serious Issues

Author: ruralriot
21 May 2010

This film, which centers around the activities of a clandestine gang of radical feminists who attempt to culture jam patriarchal imagery and a young high-school graduate (Anna) who joins them after being invited by their really attractive leader (Sadie), not only provides a cute storyline (though, obviously not completely realistic), but actually gives an airing to debates that exist within the feminist, queer, and activist communities in the United States.

The conflict between more traditional community organizers, activists, and nonprofit leaders (such as Sadie's mainstream feminist girlfriend Courtney) and more radical groups (like the C.I.A.) is explored in the film in a way that's actually fairly level-handed... while the C.I.A.'s exploits are somewhat glorified, we also get to see the tension some of the characters (like Anna and Courtney) exhibit bridging these two worlds. The debate between members of the queer community who are pro-marriage and those who want to move away from marriage as a social institution was also showcased. These are kind of heavy issues, but the film brings them up in a way that does not detract from its ultimate mission of staying lighthearted and fun.

Furthermore, I thought that this film actually portrayed queer characters (who often receive no visibility in film) in a way that was more or less realistic. The members of the C.I.A. range on a full spectrum from more traditionally feminine presentations (like the femme-y Sadie and Shulamith) to more masculine or butch presentations (such as Calvin). Shulamith's queer identity (at the beginning of the movie she dates men before she meets Calvin) provides a sense of diversity in orientations, negating the idea that "straight" and "lesbian" are the only valid identities for women. And Aggie, the pre-testosterone, pre-operation transman, is presented realistically--even though he is not fully transitioned, the characters use correct pronouns and affirm his male identity, which is good to see. The riot grrl soundtrack and references to all different kinds of activism add to a kind of feel-good and playful anarchist vibe that, while it may not change the world, at least gets people thinking while they have some fun. Because this movie is smart, but doesn't take itself too seriously, I highly recommend it.

Woooooooow!

Author: sverigeever from Sweden
27 July 2008

Just saw the movie for the first time today. Europride in Stockholm and a three day short gay/lesbian film festival. And there it was...Itty Bitty Titty Committee. Strong women doing their thing with conviction. Beautiful women making statements with humor. Angry women, laughing women, arguing, lovemaking and united women. The theater was full of women, only standing room left. And when the "top" of the D.C. monument blew away the whole crowd cheered and clapped hands! This film made a lot of people very happy today. And that is an excellent grade for a movie. This is a comedy. With a happy ending. And I strongly recommend this movie for everyone with a sense of humor!