IMDb > A Reluctant Cinderella (1913) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Reluctant Cinderella More at IMDbPro »

Charming

Author: boblipton from New York City
16 July 2010

See if you can spot Arthur Housman in this one. For decades one of two performers that producers called when they wanted a comic drunk, I think I spotted him, looking too young for anything stronger than root beer. I wouldn't swear to it, but experts have assured me he is there.

This is a sweet little movie, a modernization and demagicking of the Cinderella legend about a nice young woman who goes to a dinner and a dance, but one of her shoes is too tight so she slips it off and loses it until it is returned to her in a manner that refers to the original story.

Despite the reputation of Edison movies as old-fashioned and stodgy -- a reputation rebutted, I hope, by the Edison DVD set two or three years ago -- this one shows that the artists and technicians at Edison were just as dedicated, skilled and inventive as anyone working at Vitagraph or, indeed, Biograph -- assuming that you cede the laurel to my personal deity, D.W. Griffith.

The copy I saw had quite a bit of decomposition, but it is so charming that I hope that you get the chance to see it anyway,