IMDb > Vivah (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Vivah

Vivah More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Nice Clean AWESOME family film - it has taught me a lot !!!

Author: (isshvkv@hotmail.com) from United States
23 June 2007

My Comments for VIVAH :- Its a charming, idealistic love story starring Shahid Kapoor and Amrita Rao. The film takes us back to small pleasures like the bride and bridegroom's families sleeping on the floor, playing games together, their friendly banter and mutual respect. Vivah is about the sanctity of marriage and the importance of commitment between two individuals. Yes, the central romance is naively visualized. But the sneaked-in romantic moments between the to-be-married couple and their stubborn resistance to modern courtship games makes you crave for the idealism. The film predictably concludes with the marriage and the groom, on the wedding night, tells his new bride who suffers from burn injuries: "Come let me do your dressing"

V I V A H - showcases a lot of good things - beauty of arranged marriage, beauty of Indian culture, beauty of Indian woman, last but not least a nice IDEALISM of the about-to-be-couple waiting to get married .... playing by the rules ! Simple yet Beautiful; Such a Simple story .... no plot ... no villain - as is the case with most of Sooraj Barjatya films. Sooraj sir is back to what he does BEST. He has made the movie with FULL CONVICTION. Its a very sweet film - which teaches the current generation a lot of good things bout Arranged Marriage & the Union of 2 Families. I think AMRITA RAO - looks very good & she has acted very well. She has most of the good scenes - although i thought the last half hour was completely to Shahid Kapur - who for a change gives an awesomely restrained performance. I also liked the acting of all others for ex. the Choti i.e. Amrita Prakash, Alok Nath, Anupam Kher, Shahid's bro & sis-in-law. It almost seemed as real and recognizable as it could. Sooraj sir has got another nice family film to his credit after Maine Pyar Kiya, HAHK & Hum Saath Saath Hain. The chemistry between Shahid & Amrita is AWESOME.

Stuff like Sanctity in a Marriage/Relationship, Avoiding Courtship, Mutual Respect, Care & Space, Waiting for getting Married "officially", Praying/Sacrficing for Ur Beloved - all these and more get SHOWCASED in Vivah. There's still some good audience who r going & enjoying this film. Some of the folks/audience are already excited after seeing, that they r thinking bout Arranged-Marriage :) Thats Success if you ask me. it seems AMRITA RAO - our actress-from-Vivah {Result for a nice performance} has been bestowed the prestigious DADSAHEB PHALKE award for 2006 !! Hats off to her for this achievement Chalo, even though Vivah , Shahid or Amrita didn't get any of the film-fare & other awards; @ least this is news to CHEER about !! Congrats to AMRITA RAO- for showing us a visual of Indian Bride-to-be in the purest form and Of Course to Sooraj Barjatya for portraying her the best way :) Shudn't forget Shahid Kapur and all others who make VIVAH as sweet and legendary as it is today !! Imagine, to share the same pedestal as the legendary Dilip Kumar .......... Its no mean achievement !! Congrats to Amrita Rao - for taking her Career to another level with this award .... I personally feel - she should keep doing movies only with Shahid Kapur !! They make a cute couple and their on-screen chemistry reminds me of {SRK-Kajol} or {Aamir Khan & Juhi Chawla} .................

Some points that I observed,few of the elements :- #1 If u notice carefully, Amrita Rao looks so good because shes always wearing traditional dresses. She gives every bit of the Indian Woman essence - in this film !! Perfect Fit #2 Shahid Kapur is like most of us - not exactly ready for marriage or early-marriage .... but PREM listens carefully to the step-wise talk given by his DAD - having full faith in Anupam Kher. Eventually "Honesty" & "Trust" are the keywords that he reflects in his first talk with Amrita. Most people would think such a first meeting with a total stranger plus for a limited time is never enough to judge a person. But according to what I saw in this film, I have a feeling - that Two people who are made for each other can connect within a 1st meet also, Its possible !!! #3 In the entire movie - there are basically 4 or 5 sequences where Shahid & Amrita are together - or shown to be together. Its unlike most other romantic/wedding-based movies where Hero & Heroine are always singing/dancing or nowadays - doing cheap stuff. But the beauty of each of these 5 sequences :- Characterized by restraint, innocence & respect for the other ! #4 I really liked the relationship shown between Chacha ALOK NATH & Amrita Rao. These kinda movies should highlight the indifference shown to daughters/girl-kids in some parts of India. #5 Romantic scenes between lead couple are shot very nicely - no cheap scenes,songs are beautifully pictured !! Words like "Jal","praarthana" e.t.c. are going to be buzzwords for all girls who liked this film :) Personally, I really am fond of many dialogs in this film. #6 Last but not the least - The entire Hospital Scene where Shahid puts "sindhoor" to Amrita when shes struggling for Life - is terrific. Those dialogs between the couple are so touching and U feel the LOVE/I-cant-do-without-U ; Its a Hats-Off feeling !!!

*** In many ways, VIVAH reminded me of Maine Pyar Kiya, DDLJ, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam - for the freshness/on-screen-chemistry of the LEAD pair :) :) *** IF U ASK ME :- Along with films like Rang De Basanti, Lage Raho Munnabhai, DOR, CORPORATE and Kabul Express, V I V A H ranks among the best films made in 2006. IN FACT - i think Vivah does deserve better viewing/business than Dhoom2 or Fanaa or Golmaal or all those time-pass/fuzzy/style/crap movies !!

So beautiful.....

Author: shamari scott (shamari_70816@yahoo.com) from United States
2 October 2011

I'm new to Bollywood films, however I judge this movie not as a foreign film but as one of the most beautifully made films I've ever seen. Vivah is so simplistically romantic. I've seen it three times and I plan on watch it many more times. I recommend this movie for the true lovers at heart. The characters light up the screen and you can almost feel what the director was trying to convey. I'm unmarried but I can understand the courtship from the engagement to the wedding. I also loved the relationship between uncle and niece. It truly shows the love the uncle must have had for his brother to love his niece so much. I also love the message of sisterhood, it was very clear that they adored each other. One of my favorite lines, were when in the house before the fire, the uncle said to Rama: "you will cry the most"; I believe when you do wrong to others it always comes back to you. Moreover, the music was absolutely superb, all the songs were so touching.

Romantic, traditional & an important message

Author: honeyluv98 from Australia
17 September 2011

I watched the film because I have grown up with the Sooraj Barjatya films & was keen to see what they would offer after the disastrous Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon..

The story of the film is incredibly simple & I feel that the simplest stories make the best love stories, as they revolve around the emotions of the characters. So, this is definitely not a movie for someone who likes to sit at the edge of their seat when watching a film.

The performances of the movie are good.. Shahid & Amrita do justice to their role.. The support cast is wonderful. The standout performance is Seema Biswas - excellent in her role. Mohnish Behl is great in his bit part. I love the writing in the Shahid-Amrita scenes especially in the second half.

I don't want to debate whether the film is realistic or not.. Its a film, so a certain amount of exaggeration & fiction to heighten the drama is understandable. But, I appreciate the message at the end of the film - importance of love & trust over physical appearance and accepting daughters & not daughter-in-laws into families.

a brilliant Indian film

Author: tahsin2-1 from Canada
16 November 2006

All the talent Mr. Sooraj Barjatya showed in his first 3 movies, I thought were all an accident because his 4th one Main prem ki diwani hoon was so bad. But I have to say it wasn't an accident. This guy is talented and the way he has done Vivah is just brilliant. Right from the first scene it affects you. the sequences between shahid and amrita are awesome. The chemistry between these two actors gives glimpses of that between srk and kajol. As usual Alok Nath as the good and loving father is fantastic, so is Anupam Kher. But its a Shahid-Amrita film.Amrita looks good in most scenes though shahid does look a little young to get married but he does a good job of a shy but yet morally strong groom. this movie will especially be liked by those who has gone through such beautiful moments in their life. All in all a brilliant film. hats off to Mr. Sooraj Barjatya...

Heart-touching film!

Author: gokulkrishna-pai from Bangalore, India
17 July 2011

This review is in response to several postings here criticizing the movie. Firstly, I would like to create the right expectation here. This is not for Everybody. This movie will be loved by Indians to whom romance appeals. A typical Sooraj Bharjatya film centered on Family- Arranged marriages. And He very well succeeds in pleasing the audience at the same time giving a message of True Love. With several filmmakers targeting the Teenagers, Sooraj has made a bold attempt in making a Genuine Indian film. Music by Ravindra Jain is a Highlight of the Film. The flow of the movie is great & engaging. First-half of the film is very entertaining. In the later-half, the movie takes a serious turn as expected in old-fashioned Indian films. I would regard this as one of Sooraj's best films & hoping to see more from him. While I thoroughly enjoyed this family-drama, I feel this movie will appeal mainly to the older audience. Hope this Review Helps! :)

Classic Indian Romance, Well Acted, Well Scripted!

Author: ethan_frank from India
3 January 2011

Though it's been 4 years after the movie released, it's a delight write a review on this movie. In real life, various human relationships are weighed, analyzed and misinterpreted to dishonor its values and discolor its beauty for personal interests. This is an intelligent and collective effort to beautifully feel the ideal Indian mannerisms and relationship values as in a beautiful dream; not only the romantic relationship between a boy and a girl but with families, parents, children, siblings, in-laws etc.

Intelligent and effort-full scripting, excellent scene blended music/songs and profound insights in making those so called 'silly' moments of life beautifully. There were some scenes felt like could have been done better, but none of them stayed on top till the end of the movie. Though this movie has an old fashioned narration, repetitive camera movements, and evident studio backgrounds, altogether it wonderfully delivers a triangular chemistry between three environments; the girl, the boy and the audience. Sooraj, your commendable vision and patience to make 'vivah' points out that this won't be the last and your best of all the time! Eagerly waiting for another wonderful and better cinematic experience! :)

Romantic and traditional movie

Author: patel-namrata3 from India
12 November 2014

A true lovestory people need to have heart to understand this movie a must view.Good show of the gradual building of relationship faithfulness and trust that people lack in relationships nowadays.

The story of the film is incredibly simple & I feel that the simplest stories make the best love stories, as they revolve around the emotions of the characters. http://www.IMDb.com So, this is definitely not a movie for someone who likes to sit at the edge of their seat when watching a film.

The performances of the movie are good. Isn't it? Shahid & Amrita do justice to their role.. The support cast is wonderful. The standout performance is Seema Biswas - excellent in her role. Mohnish Behl is great in his bit part. I love the writing in the Shahid-Amrita scenes especially in the second half.

Vivaah (2006).... a simple film on family values.....

Author: Suman Shakya from Nepal
14 November 2013

"Vivaah" feels more like a 70s/ 80s film from Rajshree Productions filled with family values and culture. Unlike Rajshree's "Hum Aapke Hai Kaun", the film is slow and the songs and music are comparatively weak. But the film has a simplicity and is away from the modern treatment. Perhaps the very simplicity of this film made it a big hit of its time. Personally, I liked the film; and Rajshree movies should be commended to keep alive the family values through its movies; and "Vivaah" too joins this league. The simplicity and the spontaneity the film carries through its characters and settings get equally complemented with good performances from Shahid Kapoor, Amrita Rao, Anupam Kher, and Aloknath. In the stream of boisterous and noisy movies, this film kind of gives an inspiration for commitments and family values.

Rating: 2 stars out of 4

Film Review of Vivah

Author: sharminerani from United States
14 June 2012

Vivah is a romantic bollywood movie also known as the "Journey from engagement to marriage!". In Hindi "Vivah" actually means marriage. The stars of the film are Shahid Kapoor playing the character of "Prem". Prem is a young man from Delhi, just to about to start his career in his father's business enterprise. Anupam kher plays Prems father. Amrita Rao plays the part of "Poonam" who is young woman from Madhupur with very traditional values. Alok Nath and Seema Biswas play the part of Poonam's uncle and aunt. It is set in Delhi and also in the fictional town of Madhupur. This movie is very romantic and full of drama.

Poonam is an orphan and lives with her uncle, aunt, and cousin- sister (Rajni). He uncle always loved her as if she were his own daughter. Poonam grows up to be a beautiful, traditional and sweet girl. Poonams only wish is to get a mother's love from her aunt. However her aunt is jealous of her and dislikes her since she is more beautiful than her own daughter Rajni. Poonam gets engaged with Prem, a handsome young man and they fall in love with each other and they planned to get married in 6 months. Prem and Poonam go through the most magical and romantic period of their lives. Six months fly by and just when everything is set for Prem and Poonam to get married suddenly there is a very tragic accident that could scar Poonam forever. Poonam and Prems love will be put to the test. What happens? How does the story end?

One thing about this movie that I love is the acting. the acting is very realistic and believable. It didn't even feel like I was watching a movie I felt like everything was real. Shahid and Amrita did a great job acting out their parts it fit them very well and they made a very cute couple on screen. It seemed like they actually loved each other and the chemistry between them was amazing. Their emotions made me very emotional. All the characters played their part very well. The script was very well written along with the plot. Everything was perfect.

Another aspect of film that i really liked was the costumes. The costumes were made so that it fits how the character is supposed to look and they also fit the characters personality. For example, since Poonam was a tradition Indian girl her costume was the salwar kameez, which is a three piece clothing set consisting of a scarf, dress, and matching pants.

This movie overall was amazing, with a plot full of romance and love, with bits of sadness in it. It gives the feeling of hope and that at one point in your life you will be happy. The quality of the film was very high. I give this movie 9 rating out of 10. I would definitely recommend this movie for anyone to watch with their friends or significant other.

Sweet film!

Author: WoooFy from Manchester, England
13 November 2006

Vivah is by no means a classic. However in the days of hardcore action, path-breaking special effects & complex plots (none of which Bollywood has mastered yet), its quite refreshing to see a simple film like Vivah. The story as we all know is a journey from a couple's first meeting to their eventual wedding after some coy moments and testing times. Nothing more, nothing less. The music isn't quite in the same league as MPK or HAHK but doesn't jar your senses either. Two songs stood out for me - Mujhe Haq Hai & Do Anjaane. While Milan abhi aadha & Hamaari shaadi were hummable. Shahid performs sincerely & shows a lot of potential. Its good to see him play something else but the "cool dude" he normally does. Amrita is very sweet and plays the role of a docile small-town girl to perfection. Alok Nath, Anupam Kher & Seema Biswas are terrific supports and the rest of the cast does a reasonable job. Suraj's direction is simple but effective. The movie's prime flaw is the slow pace which might test the patience of a lot of young viewers. But all in all a good, clean, decent family movie.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]