IMDb > Strictly Sexual (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Strictly Sexual

Strictly Sexual More at IMDbPro »

it's sincerely, funny and moving!

Author: yahurb from United States
9 December 2008

I begin my comment from saying that love the story itself. I loved the film. The story is so true image of what many of us sometimes feel but fail to live. It both, touches and entertains. The characters are believable and the director, actors and crew did a great job. Although a simple story, none of it is so simple in the end as the relationships between the characters develop smoothly. What i liked about this movie, was the childishly brutal honesty between the characters, the way they relate their emotions and thoughts to each other. "What a great city. People here don't date. They just move in." :))))

I watched it as a story, without prejudice and expectations, and I found myself laughing and feeling for those "types" sincerely. This is a gift. This is where you appreciate the art - it's where you find yourself truly believing the story. Would I watch it again? Hell why not!:)))

I absolutely loved it!

Author: andreas franzen from Sweden
30 November 2008

It's a really great movie, okay maybe not great as in top 250 but really good then. It's about camaraderie between friends and about love between people.

The movie is about Joe and Stanny, two construction workers from Queens who find themselves in LA looking for work, and Donna and Chriti, a writer and a designer. At a nice hotel bar, Donna and Christi are looking for male prostitutes where Joe and Stanny are just looking to get drunk. They meet and the story takes of.

This would be something I'd see alone or with my date/girlfriend, maybe even with my friends but most of them would probably give this movie a 3-4. I gave it an 8, it's a kind of a feel good movie. If you tear up easily or occasionally you probably need something to wipe those with. As I said I really liked it..

Fantastic storytelling & film-making

Author: (marniealan-1) from United States
9 December 2008

"Strictly Sexual" is probably the sweetest, funniest sexually-themed movie I've ever seen. Not that the theme is just sex. It's really about four characters who you come to know, love and root for like none that I can recall in recent film history. No big orange explosions coming at you, but a rapport and chemistry between actors that is so rare in modern film, it feels like something new. All four leads grab you immediately. The film is brimming with bittersweet moments and belly laughs masterfully combined like the best of Woody Allen or Preston Sturges. The filmmakers are really on to something with this film, striking a (seemingly) effortlessly original tone and feel. One of the most honest and human films I've ever seen, "Strictly Sexual" is genuinely entertaining from start to finish. The ending just killed me (in a good way) but I don't want to give anything away. See it. -Alan Bernhoft

A movie that stimulates not only the body but also the mind.

Author: from United States
19 December 2008

Its a delight to find a movie that's real. Many relationships start with the physical, never go any where, then fizzle out. This movie explores what happens when these two young men ask, where do we go from here? Relationships like people have the ability to grow. Some do, some don't. Why do some relationships gain substance, some stay flat and superficial? Two men begin their relationships with sex and realize that there's so much more to explore. Watching these characters looking for companionship, love, the everything else a relationship can be, makes for a fun date. The acting is super, the sets enjoyable, the music entertaining. All in all this is a real, on target story about life, people and world we live in.

Strictly Sensational!

Author: (crimeflix) from United States
8 December 2008

I was lucky enough to see an advance screening of this film earlier in the year and it absolutely rocks. It's an edgy, hilarious, ultimately charming romantic comedy. The script, direction and ensemble cast are terrific. Amber Benson delivers what might be the most nuanced performance of her career. Newcomer (and screenwriter) Stevie Long steals scenes in a performance on par with Jon Favreau in Swingers. The structure of the film is reminiscent of Woody Allen's work, particularly Annie Hall and Manhattan, but with a hip, updated feel. The film has been a huge hit in Europe and I hope that carries over in the U.S. Highly recommended! Jason Starr, author of THE FOLLOWER and TWISTED CITY.

A Delightfully Funny and Original Love Story

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 January 2009

In Los Angeles, the wealthy aspirant writer Donna (Amber Benson) and her best friend and aspirant designer Christi Ann (Kristen Kerr) are bored of relationships and decide to chase two escorts in a bar for one night stand. Meanwhile, the construction workers and best friends Stanny (Stevie Long) and Joe (Johann Urb) come from New York but do not find job in Los Angeles; without money, they decide to go to a fancy bar to drink and leave the place without paying the bill. The sexual experienced Donna and the uptight and shy Christi Ann meet Stanny and Joe and invite them home believing they are hustlers. After a night of sex, the women discover the misunderstanding and that the men are indeed unemployed workers. They propose them to stay in a tent near the swimming-pool with beer and food while they search for jobs; in return, they would be their "boy-toys" during the nights in a strictly sexual relationship. Along the following weeks, the couples become closer and change their feelings and behaviors with the development and growing of their relationships.

"Strictly Sexual" is a delightfully funny and original love story. This sweet low-budget movie overcame my best expectations, supported by an excellent screenplay, great direction and a perfect chemistry among the four believable lead characters. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Apenas Sexo" ("Just Sex")

a REAL love story!!!

Author: firejen54 from United States
5 December 2008

thank god Hollywood (or i guess this is an indie) finally made a movie that shows LOVE like it really is. Painful, infuriating, fun, sad, wonderful. of course i am a woman but not prone to being emo, yet i found myself crying at the end. hard to explain, you have to see it, but it makes you feel okay about falling in love and falling out of love to. highly recommend this movie to men and women. (watched it with my boyfriend and i caught him sniffling at the end too, i swear, he never does that). i heard this director had won the independent spirit award, now i know why. sort of like "the notebook" with comedy, but not goofy comedy, maybe more like "annie hall", or the English movie "love, actually". also very much like "sex and the city" but also the guy's point of view mixed in. can you tell i loved this movie?

Great Situation Drama/Comedy

Author: Thomas Bengtsson from Sweden
9 December 2008

It's a lovely piece of drama, with less sex scenes than one might anticipate. Strictly Sexual is rather more of a drama, with situations and scenes that are well written and thoroughly funny. But the movie does have it's flaws. Some scenes (you'll see them) are just terrible, and, in my opinion, the entire movie needs some serious editing.

But all that doesn't stop Strictly Sexual from being great. All it does is just give a snapshot of two lives, two lives that intertwine with them and give a rather long explanation of them. The movie starts with a masturbation scene by Donna, then quickly gives a documentary-like interview of the two lovers, Donna and Stanny. Then we see a fight between them and a narration by Joe, who asks how a couple can end up like that, and then brings us, the viewers, back to the beginning, before all of what we have just seen happened. This is where we see the two successful girls, Christi Ann and Donna going to a hotel lounge to buy sex from gigolos that frequent that particular lounge. Joe and Stanny just happen to sit at the bar, and the two girls think they are gigolos and later on invites them to their house. Oh, the drama that follows.

A one of a kind movie that exceeded my expectations. It's simply a movie some might enjoy, possibly through ignoring some of the missteps it makes, and sees the whole pictures and the situations. Recommended for late night watching with a special someone.

Author: ssto from New York, USA
14 December 2008

this is an unique movie, a great viewing experience for me. initially, from the beginning, i thought it would be more about profanity and prepared to cut after the first fifteen minutes, but then a couple of sharp lines kept my attention and it was well worth it. just by looking at the actors, the camera work and directing you can appreciate the love this movie was made with. the music also helped a lot, by providing a great atmosphere. you cant really define this as a comedy and put it in comparison with 'comedies' like "american pie" and such - "Strictly Sexual" is a story about love, the effect it has and people; how it can make you happy or make you cry...actually i feel the nonsense i started writing, while all i wanted to say is - this is a beautiful movie, i feel like i'd want to watch it again, and again, just like how you want to love and be loved, always

A portrait of a movie

Author: faruqs from Saudi Arabia
2 December 2008

This movie is a keeper and a half. Though it starts off bit raunchy, but it is sassy, well thought out, VERY well casted. The cinematography, character build up are world class... and most of all its believable. The movie as a whole is well pull together and does an excellent job of relating the power of sex and the balance we try and maintain between life sex emotions and our past and our limits.

Most importantly though, the story is portrayed equally clandestine from the point of view of both sexes. There are some instances where some of the scenes start abruptly, but it plays well in to the overall story telling and reels you back in. Don't let the title fool you, the movie has by far many more layers than other flavors we have become accustomed to as of late. In the end, the movie is about men and women.

Overall : Bravo, brAvo, braVo!