IMDb > Baggage (2008/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Baggage More at IMDbPro »

Possible spoiler, I'm not sure.

Author: Robyn Sleeper (watchdog1s@yahoo.com) from United States
10 November 2015

The acting was alright, not great, but the actors were fine enough. The story was very confusing, and it seemed to me that it was a story about a philanderer coming back to the home, for a strange reason, because no one ever explains why the divorce hadn't happened in so many years. What it seemed like to me was a story about a man in another midlife crisis (he'd probably had several by that age) where the man was selfishly scrambling around his life looking for the easiest place to land for his retirement. When it came down to them talking about finances and then you understand that he's also in financial difficulty, then it really just seems like he's a user who goes back to a more financially secure home, which he'd left years before, and now disrupts everyone's lives, and then, for reason's that just seem stupid, everyone takes him back into their lives, selfishness, trouble and all, and supposedly everyone has found religion again and suddenly everyone lives "happily ever after". Yeah... no.

Could and should have been a much finer film

Author: Candide from United Kingdom
19 October 2014

What a pity, this might have been a 7 or 8 star film. The writing and acting handled the story well. Barry Bostwick was particularly good as a Pete, an older man coming to terms with his past mistakes, lost opportunities, mid-life quandaries and so on, but all the cast were believable and sensitive in their roles. The viewer sees the situation from Pete's viewpoint, but the issues are largely kept in the present and there is a genuine feeling of uncertainty about what will happen, what the characters "ought" to do. Up until the last 15-20 minutes that is. For some reason this film feels like it has been nobbled. All of a sudden the tone changes, and the previous girlfriend disappears without a word (unless I blinked and missed her). There's some over-the-top sickly sentimental singing and sledgehammer religiosity which to me seemed out of place, and everything is tied up in a neatly traditionally moral way. Personally I did not mind what the ending was, there aren't always clear rights and wrongs in life, and I like happy (and uncertain or unhappy) endings in films. But in this case the ending did not fit the rest of the film and felt rather false and forced. The film morphed from a fairly interesting, thoughtful piece of work into a moral lesson, although some may prefer that.

Not a bad watch on the whole, if you are in the mood, it has some good moments.

very rushed, very confusing ... did I miss something?

Author: rugratz2222 from United States
13 December 2016

Hallmark makes some very good holiday movies, most with a strong moral and/or religious undertones ... but this one had me very confused. Granted I came into it about mid-way through, but I see an old guy fooling around with a younger girl ... she shows up in what could be a compromising clutch between him and his "still" wife in his motel room ... basic G-rated Hallmark fashion, the door is open and everything is above board ... she is confused but understanding and allows it. As someone else said "yeah, right, no." We're supposed to feel sorry for this guy who is getting a divorce so he can go live in the Bahamas with a girl half his age ... he doles out advice to the people around and supposedly blind that he is not taking it himself. Pacing is confusing and the script rushes toward a typical Hallmark ending, dumping plot points along the way to be discarded. The girlfriend is there, then bows out gracefully, or is sucked up by aliens, you never really know. A church service is thrown in at the end, which really makes no sense ... the daughter just had a traumatic birth delivery and she is all grins and smiles days later at a church service? Highly doubtful. I love Hallmark, but this one was a mess and made no sense. Actors were great but the writing was terrible. We watched it because it was part of the stream of holiday movies on the cable channel, but I would not look it up again in the future.