IMDb > "Conviction" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Conviction"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Conviction" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

"Conviction" - It's worth watching.

Author: strawberries_22 from Canada
10 March 2006

I think this show has potential, if NBC sticks to it. I must say, I had no idea about this show until the night of its debut when I came across it just as it was starting. I liked it well enough. As with most pilots however, you are busy trying to figure out the dynamics of each character so I wasn't overwhelmed or anything. But the second episode which just aired tonight was REALLY good. Most of the characters have good and bad in them, I think and over time, could develop a lot. I wasn't sure about Eric Balfour as a lawyer at first, but whoa the guy can act! :) Kind of reminds me of a young Sean Penn. You know how Grey's Anatomy is more about the characters rather than the cases? I think Conviction is similar (not the comedy part of it!) in that the character, and how they react/act/think, are the essence of the show. I hope they keep the show going for a while, allow people to catch on.

Bad

Author: sapphox2
13 January 2017

bad? why? no wonder why America has so many inmates. no one cares if someone guilty or not. i am really angry. but i am from "a us tr i a". we have other rules here. sorry, but this is not just a TV show. it shows the reality.

good show, bad timing

Author: blanche-2 from United States
19 December 2016

"Conviction" was a one-season Dick Wolf production. Dick Wolf is the mastermind of such long-running shows as Law & Order, L&O:SVU, and L&O: Special Victims Unit.

This is another Law and Order spin off, starring Stephanie March reprising her role as Alexandra Cabot, and some attractive young actors as ADAs, including Juliette Nicholson, Eric Balfour, Jordan Bridges, Milena Govich, and Anson Mount.

The stories focus in on a few cases, not just one, but also on the private lives of the attorneys. And the episodes I've seen are absorbing and well acted.

I don't remember this series at all, and I think part of the problem may have been there were just too many series similar to this on the air. I could be wrong but I think besides the three Dick Wolf series, there was also Shark, Justice, and Just Legal -- too many, and I don't think any of the newcomers survived.

It's a shame, though the actors all went on to have successes. This one had some promise but was lost in the cracks.

As a writer I am embarrassed...

Author: cutebutstoopid from Canada
4 March 2006

The first thing I noticed was the fact that none of the front line creative people have ever been involved with the whole 'L&O' franchise before.

Then I noticed the clichéd way the male characters dealt with their hook-ups the next day.

Then I noticed the insanely seventies manner in which a SITTING JUDGE teaches a REPRESENTATIVE OF THE STATE how to caretake evidence which includes controlled substances. Which? The degree of incompetency that would be required for controlled substances to be left unattended in a COURTROOM is just a joke.

It amazes me that everyone piled on the previous occupant of this time slot: 'Inconceivable.' (Also with a 'L&O' alumnus.)

This is embarrassing. The fact that NBC has buried it in the same slot that killed 'Inconceivable' should tell you all you need to know.

The people who are responsible for this show have never known privilege, have never known poverty, have never worked in an office and have likely never taken a moral stand in their entire lives.

Enough said.

Embarrassing Schlock

Author: wil-95-615803 from Berkeley, CA
21 February 2015

Apparently Dick Wolf finally decided that offering up the same vapid effluvium that passes as crime drama in most time slots was the ticket. I guess it's just a function of the times; we no longer can present cops or lawyers that look like folks we actually see in courtrooms or police stations; everyone has to look like they stepped out of a Victoria's Secret or A&F ad. I suspect that if anyone else produced this pablum it would have been deemed acceptable fair. However, folks expect better from the producer of L&O and its other progeny. This member of the "family" is the bastard step child that no one should speak of again. Bravo for NBC pulling the plug on it after one season; don't waste your time on a show that's more about boobs and adolescent hook ups than law and interesting plot twists.

I'll stick with Law & Order

Author: Cameron Allen (ceallen31b@gmail.com) from Michigan, United States
24 December 2009

I was finally able to catch a few reruns of Conviction, and I can see why it didn't last. I wasn't expecting it to be exactly like Law & Order, but I did kinda expect it to at least try to be realistic. I never had a problem with Alex Cabot on SVU but for some reason, I absolutely hated her in this. Her character seemed incredibly arrogant and egotistical, and many of the other characters were exactly the same way. Just see Eric Balfour's character threatening a guy with his prosecutorial powers in a men's room. "You see this badge?! It says D.A.!" I was rolling on the floor from that one. This show could not have had less to do with the criminal justice system. The breakdown goes sort of like this: 20% crimes, 70% their personal lives, 10% that hot brunette (who ended up playing a detective on the original L&O for a few episodes) banging her boss. If I wanted to see crap like this, I'd watch bad daytime soaps. Dick Wolf should be ashamed to have his name attached to this.

Brilliant but....

Author: maha janssen from Netherlands
11 April 2006

I have been a faithful Law & Order fan ever since I can remember so I waited with anticipation as I heard about this new one here. All in all, it's pretty entertaining and gripping at times & as another commentator quoted here, it's a lot like 'Grey's Anatomy' but the sex-in-the-workplace formula is getting really old. They've used it in almost every series so they should do something different already. I mean it's logical for co-workers to get involved, especially ones who spend a lot of time at work but I'm sure not all lawyers marry/sleep with other lawyers. It would be interesting to see how they would juggle with a partner of a different profession. Wouldn't that be more interesting especially if it were to explore another territory altogether instead of doing the same old thing all the time. We had it from Ally McBeal, The Practice etc. They should do something different for a change.

Not so Bad

Author: shoguntee from VA
3 March 2006

I know some people are hammering the pilot pretty bad, but really it's not that bad. Sure there are the stereotypical cast of characters, but that doesn't mean the writing is automatically bad. It's what happens with these characters over the course of time that really matters. Conviction is more focused on the lives of the prosecutors than the other Law and Order shows, and the change is a definite plus. In time, this show could turn into a good replacement for those of us who just can't get into Boston Legal.

To the guy who is complaining about Elias Koteas? Get outta here, man. Clearly, he wasn't brought in to be a "Chris Meloni" type, as he was killed pretty quickly! It makes me wonder if you even watched the entire episode or just skimmed it and left.

It's good to see Stephanie March back on regular TV and I hope this show at least gets the chance to get it's feet under it and become something good.

A warped view of the American vision of a system of justice

Author: Peter Guither from United States
1 March 2006

I watched the pilot of Conviction, because I wanted to check out how the "Law and Order" folks would portray the role of prosecutors in our society.

It was appalling.

Don't get me wrong. It's a well-produced slick formula series that pushes all the right buttons, and it may do well. But it's not a bit about justice and it continues that conviction- at-all-costs, defendants-are-scum philosophy (along with sensationalism) that was developed in the endless "Law and Order" series.

There are a whole lot of very attractive young prosecutors having sex and dealing with their personal problems along with their jobs, and they end up at a bar at the end of the day à la Ally McBeal. But unlike Ally McBeal, the bars are meaningless (and so is the sex).

There's the attractive African American prosecutor who never lost a case, (and to protect his record will dump the tough ones), the sloppy guy with his shirt-tails out who's a good prosecutor but can't handle his personal life, the attractive brunette who's sleeping with her boss, the idealistic young man who comes from a privileged family and will have to shed that baggage. And I didn't care about any of them.

There was one -- an Assistant DA -- that gave me just a glimmer of hope that here might be a character that cared about justice (and not just conviction). But they killed him off halfway through the pilot, in an apparent manipulative shock moment to make us see that prosecutors have tough, scary lives, and so we could feel for the young prosecutors who were sorry that their boss was dead.

Now lets take a look at the cases being prosecuted. Mostly drugs, of course. The marquee event was the Escobar case. The producers wanted to be sure there would be no question which side you should be on. The drug trafficker was a sleazy guy who would entice attractive blond white women into partying at his clubs and then convince them to swallow balloons of drugs and smuggle them. When one of the balloons broke and a girl started to OD, he personally slit her belly open to retrieve the drugs, all in the presence of her friend (who oddly had been allowed to turn down the drug smuggling offer and even more oddly was left alive to tell the story).

The prosecutors were going to do anything to get their conviction.

At one point, when the witness is too scared to testify...

"Arrest her."

"There's no proof she committed a crime."

"Find some. A couple nights in Ryker and she'll sing Bel Canto."

Later, they do arrest her, charging her with felony drug conspiracy and felony murder, in order to force her testimony.

The second case -- the comic relief subplot case -- was about a young black man arrested for selling crack.

The officer -- an incredibly fat white man who looked like he'd have a heart attack if he walked 10 feet -- tells the green prosecutor:

"You didn't plead him out? I appreciate your efforts, counselor, but this case is strictly N-H- I... there was No Humans Involved -- it's scum dealing drugs to scum. A less enlightened guy might say 'who cares.'"

The young prosecutor screws up every aspect of the case, from not knowing how to question a witness to losing track of the evidence, and the curmudgeonly judge helps her through these lapses.

In the trial, the defendant and his attorney (who claim he was framed) extensively (and rightly) ridicule the cop's claim that he chased the defendant for 100 yards. I was convinced the defendant was innocent, and the jury seemed convinced as well. And then the young prosecutor steps up with her summation:

"There's no question that the defendant, by virtue of his charm and humor and eloquence was able to diminish the serious nature of the crime with which he's been charged. I mean, let's face it. He was funny. He made you laugh. He was, in a word, entertaining."

"But picture him in a different setting -- the street. A place where he deploys his humor and his charm and his eloquence to entice naive children to experiment with crack -- the poison that he sells -- the poison that decimates so many promising lives. And that, ladies and gentlemen... is not funny."

(At that point, a dramatic camera shift shows the judge, who smiles and nods – (she did good))

Conviction.

Yep, it's the "Drugs are bad, Mmmkay" prosecution. It wasn't about witnesses, or developing a link between the evidence and the defendant. No. The prosecutor said "Drugs are bad," and the jury said: "Well, the defendant must be guilty, then."

Now, I understand that this is television. It's not a documentary, and there's no requirement that a dramatic television series reflect reality. And stereotypical exploitive criminal justice story lines are much easier to write and sell. I fully support the right of NBC to program whatever they wish and for individuals to watch it or not as they wish.

Also, the show is intended to be about the characters -- the young prosecutors -- and the actual prosecution is of secondary importance to the writers. And who knows -- the characters may turn out to be interesting as the series continues.

But it does make me sad.

Audiences who follow this show are going to continue to get a viewpoint that the only thing that matters is conviction, the defendant is always scum, and that things like the Bill of Rights are annoyances around which the prosecution must navigate.

not up to standard

Author: KatharineFanatic from United States
20 May 2006

I am not one to slight Dick Wolf's projects. I have the utmost respect for him as a producer and writer, and I absolutely love the flagship, "Law & Order." I was also fond of "Trial by Jury," and watch "Criminal Intent," and "Special Victims Unit" on a regular basis. I had high hopes for "Conviction," but was ultimately disappointed. The characters feel shallow and clichéd. We have the playboy, the workaholic, the ambitious ADA who will stop at nothing to get what he wants, and... everyone else.

The best character in the series is Nick Potter, but he is rather overshadowed by the irritating personal lives of his coworkers. Steele is sleeping with Jessica when he's not trying to get inside Alexandra Cabot's pants. Brian loves Christina, but that doesn't stop him from chasing every skirt in sight. There are courtroom cases, but none of them are particularly original (with the exception of the boy bashing his brother's head in, and the female attorney who gives Steele hell) and most consist of bland rape cases.

The best episode was the two-part season finale in which everything came to a head, we saw the characters be heroic (or jerks, based on who you're rooting for), and the show went out in a final blaze of glory. It's not that I disliked it so much as it failed to live up to potential, attempting to tell so many different stories each week that the viewer became lost at some point along the way. The finale showed promise, but by then, it was too late.

From a long-time fan of the original, "Conviction" lacked... well, conviction. One cannot help thinking that Jack McCoy could sit down each and every one of these young prosecutors and teach them a thing or two about the law.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]