IMDb > "Conviction" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Bring This Back

Author: Jennifer (LadySailor1975) from Arkansas
25 August 2011

This was one of the best things on TV in the past 25 years. I don't see why it was cancelled. All the cast was perfect.

I especially liked Stephanie March, Milena Govich, Jordan Bridges, and Eric Balfour.

This legal drama show, created by Dick Wolf, was a spin-off of Law & Order and about a group of young district attorneys who were eager to make a name for themselves. The professional and personal lives of each one was played out to the fullest as you came to know their histories, families, feelings, and beliefs.

This is the one show that should have lasted. I am glad I bought the DVD's!

One of the Best I have ever seen

Author: asdincome from United States
22 May 2011

I am truly sorry that I never saw this when it came out. I watched all 12 episodes on Hulu and thought it was one of the best series I have ever seen. I would have been upset that it got canceled and wish it was showing with the same cast on todays TV series. It is thought provoking, interesting and the cast had chemistry which gave it a real life feel. I am a particular fan of how the characters are made to be vulnerable yet tough in an environment they are supposed to be invincible in. If this series were to return I would most certainly watch it and believe that it would have a much longer life than it did the first time around.

Wow

Author: c20006660 from United States
27 December 2006

Hi Over the Christmas break I got a chance to watch the Conviction DVDs and I must say that they are amazing.

Being an SVU fan, I was initially drawn to the Alexandra Cabot character, however I must say that I have enjoyed all the characters.

Is there any chance that this series will be revived?

The most exhilarating episode was the second last one and I was very thankful that there was a finale. So many of the 'ending' episodes prior to a series being off air for the non-ratings season end with cliff-hangers and I was pleasantly surprised that this one did not.

While you knew the ending, come on the good guys must win. But I wasn't prepared for it to be so dramatic.

The character profiles make the DVDs a worthwhile buy even if you have seen the series on TV.

Best Season Finale of the Spring Season--Maybe ever?! This show should not be canceled!!

Author: dachsiegal from United States
25 May 2006

This is one of the best shows on TV. The finale reduced both me and my husband to tears--& I am an attorney!! The characters are well developed and you care what happens to each. And the show is not formulaic--there are surprises. At the beginning, I hated the Potter character--unbelievable, wooden, spoiled--he reminded me of Potsie from "Happy Days." But after the finale, when he stood up to the hostage-takers in court, I felt he redeemed himself. This show should be given a chance. It is much better than "Desperate Housewives," "Lost," or "House." It is well-written and entertaining. This coming from a 31-year old woman--good demographic!! NBC please reconsider the cancellation!!!!!!

Dick Wolf Vs David E. Kelley…

Author: (ck@thedrum.org.uk) from United Kingdom
2 April 2008

As I am only two episodes into 'Conviction', I will restrict my comments to cursory observations rather than critical analysis.

The visual tone of Conviction is unlike any other show from the Dick Wolf stable. It is filmed in a much more accommodating, easy-to-swallow manner – i.e. LESS grit MORE gloss. It undoubtedly has a more light-hearted backbone than the Law & Order franchise– owing in most part to quirky incidental music reminiscent of Boston Legal, and cast interplay akin to that of Ally McBeal (Look out for ex-Ally actress Julianne Nicholson).

In addition to the above points, the romantic sub-plots threading through each episode offer the viewer a more 'soap-like' viewing experience – (make your own mind up as to the merits of this gambit).

The acting is solid, with the odd shining light raising the bar (no pun intended) – namely Eric Balfour; who manages to make the creepiest of moustaches look fractionally cool. Stephanie March is of course as effortless as ever, with accomplished support from J August Richards and Anson Mount.

Although there's nothing particularly groundbreaking about this show, it does sustain viewer interest by combining brisk filming – intertwining 2-3 cases in each episode – with office romps, office politics and office banter. Blend all of this with an attractive cast, quirky music and glossy camera filters – and hey presto, another watchable Dick Wolf production.

My only criticism, and believe me, this is being hyper-pedantic, is what a terrible choice of names! 'Conviction' as a show title is far too abrasive, and in no way reflects the actual tone of proceedings. I told you it was pedantic didn't I?

In conclusion, after watching two episodes, I will probably seek out a third, but if my TV explodes later today - rendering me unable to watch any more Conviction - I will be more upset that I have to buy a new television than missing out on episode 3,4,5 etc.

Another Dick Wolf show that deserved a fairer chance

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 August 2015

The other being Law and Order: Trial by Jury, also a very short-lived series that had its problems but was getting better. Conviction is an uneven show and nowhere near the best work that Dick Wolf did (the original Law and Order), but it showed a lot of potential and got cancelled- which I put down to scheduling- before it had time to properly grow.

Like Trial by Jury, Conviction also has a few too many characters, and some are better developed and more interesting than others, with Potter and Finn faring the best of the main characters and one does wish that the show gave a reason for Cabot's presence and how and why she came out of witness protection for continuity with Special Victims Unit. That a lot of the show felt rushed with a lot of content and too short a length added to this. While the concept was really interesting and different, the most original of Wolf's shows, some of the writing still could have been tighter, some of it detailing the personal lives of the characters was like predictable soap-opera, especially in the early episodes. There are also times where it does try to do too much, with instances of trying to take on two, three or more elements (grit, light-heartedness) with variable effectiveness (like the light-heartedness feeling occasionally at odds), giving it at times a disjointed feel.

On the other hand, even with a different, glossier look, the series is stylishly filmed and looks great. The music is quirkier and more varied than the Law and Order shows, but no less atmospheric or fitting, and there is some taut thought-provoking script-writing in the scenes dealing with the crimes, trials and in the later episodes and in a way that feels more honest than Trial by Jury. The early episodes lack tightness, and the show feels rushed and over-stuffed, but the stories do maintain interest and thought and there are some great moments, like the teen being tried as an adult, the cancer storyline and especially the spectacular finale that was both intense and heart-wrenching. Conviction also has some excellent acting, Stephanie March does not disappoint (anyone who is a fan of her character on Special Victim's Unit will love her here), Eric Balfour does sleazy perfectly, Anson Mount is stoic and powerful in presence and Julianne Nicholson is affectingly vulnerable.

All in all, uneven and could have been better, but also impresses in a lot of areas and deserved a fairer chance than it got. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Awesome Addition to the Law & Order Universe. Sad that it only lasted 1 season...

Author: Richard James Dennell from United States Of America
2 July 2015

A.D.A. Alexandra Cabot was definitely without a question my favorite out of all the ADA's in the entire Law & Order Franchise. I thought this show was awesome! It opened the door for so many crossovers with all of the different L&O Series. I also thought that it was a good idea that Wolf decided to do a spin-off centering around The District Attorney's point of view. I have no idea why they canceled it. Everybody I know that is a L&O fan loved this new series. And honestly, who more better and qualified to handle that job then the Ice Queen Cabot. She totally kicked butt as SVU's Liaison and definitely had a command presence about her character. It was so disappointing when they wrote her out of the series again after coming back in 2011.

There were so many amazing ADA's in the whole franchise that they could have used them all as a revolving cast for the spin-off to have kept it going for fans. Every fan has at least One ADA that was their favorite and they would have liked to seen more of.

Wish there were more episodes

Author: yuehan1 from United States
15 February 2007

Compelling show, enjoyed every episode. Thought I would hate it, but couldn't resist downloading the first episode for free from itunes. I was hooked from there. Too bad it was canceled. Some of the comments here claim that this show was too formulaic, but I beg to differ. There was a freshness in the cast of this show. Enough to make it worthwhile to come back to. My one criticism stems from the predictability of the episodes. It seems that the young DAs somehow win every single case, or at least get a pretty good plea deal. This seems unrealistic to say the least. I would think that there is a MUCH lower success rate with these types of cases. Then again, TV requires suspension of disbelief, and apparently the better the show, the more one must suspend. Here's hoping that the powers that be see some of the positive comments about this show and decide to breathe life into it once again.

Awesome, A must see!

Author: danicakes16 from Canada
26 May 2006

At first i wasn't so sure of the show, i watched the first one because it was a Wolf production and a i love L&O AND L&O SVU, so the first show starts of with two ppl making love so i was a bit confused as to where it was going but after the first show i couldn't wait till the nest week. There's a more personal connection with the characters which i L&O all the series somewhat lacks. Now that the season is over i cant wait till it starts again, but i agree with Sarah's post the cast defintley puts up their own views subconsciously on how the law should be interpreted. all i can say is for those who watch the show it was about time that Christina and Brian finally came clean about their feelings!! But Conviction is directed to a younger audience than the L&O series, but my mom still likes it!!

Different than all other Law & Order Shows

Author: fatkidchuckles from United States
24 April 2006

What most people fail to realize is that this show is examining the lives of the ADAs, how the cases effect them. It does not focus on one case each episode like all the other Law & Order shows, and so, yes, characters like Cabot are going to have more personality. I for one am happy with the show. I think it is a good departure. There are way too many CSIs, Without A Trace, Law & Order shows out there, that the stories all start to blend. Not to mention, the writing on all of these shows is so bland, dry, overused, clichéd and there is very little actual character development. Conviction is a character-driven show, not a case-driven show. Let's just hope the writing will help it reach its potential, and not kill it before it even finds life.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]