IMDb > "Conviction" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Conviction"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Conviction" More at IMDbPro »

Conviction, It's worth a watch

Author: Sarah from United States
4 March 2006

Conviction is a spin off of the Law and Order series. I am a personal favorite of Law and Order, and Law and Order:SVU, I've seen Criminal Intent and it is good, but I prefer the other two. When I saw this show advertised I thought I'd give it a try to see how I would like it.

As I watched it, I have to say, it was a little slow to start, but I did enjoy it. I love that Stephanie March returned and has reprized her role as Alexandra Cabbot from SVU. She was a great ADA on SVU and now she carries that over to Conviction. There are a lot of up and comer actors/actresses and I really think that if NBC gives it a shot, it will be a great show.

There are some stories lines that develop romantic relationships which looks like the difference between the other shows in the Law and Order series. They don't seem to focus on the personal lives of the detectives, the ADA's, the district attorney's, etc. This show doesn't point the spotlight on it, but it does get a little spark, enough to make me want to watch what happens next week.

And it's not just the office romance. The actors in this show really step up with hard shoes to fill. They all seem to have their own personal views on how the law is seen, understood and most of all, how it should be practiced. They step up to help each other and to help the victims they defend in court and most of all, to put away the people who created victims.

This was a good show to watch and with time it will get even better as the stories lines can only get more interesting. If you like any of the Law and Order series shows, you should absolutely check out conviction. I cannot wait to see this show develop. And I've only seen it 1 time.....

An Amazing Show, Please watch reruns this summer to save it!

Author: tinkerbellekat from United States
20 May 2006

This is an excellent addition to the Law and Order Family! And it truly is a family with the return of Alex Cabot from SVU. It would be a shame for this show to get cancelled as it is on the fence, it could go either way according to nbc sites.

I am sure you'll fall in love with the characters and you'll look forward to each episode. The show is aired on Friday nights, I think that has a lot to do with possible low ratings.....if you don't have dvr or tivo, stick a tape in the vcr. You can still go out and enjoy your Friday night, and have an amazing hour of entertainment awaiting your return.

Watch it, there's a good looking guy/girl for every viewer to drool over! And the best thing is, you get that, plus great plot lines and character story lines!

The best lack all conviction: Existential TV, maybe?

Author: jshoaf from Florida
19 March 2006

I was impressed by this show, of which I've seen two episodes. The theme seems to be that the pace of life and of crime today is so fast that one can no longer seek truth or justice--one must just keep doing what one is doing and perhaps try to be kind to those who can't keep up.

The classic crime show follows the track laid down by Sherlock Holmes and beloved of all mystery readers: the Good Guys are the recurring characters, and they are completely dedicated to Justice, and in each episode/story they track down Bad Guys who have violated the law or morality in some way and try to see that the legal system punishes the Bad Guys for what they have done. Maybe sometimes it turns out that there is no crime actually committed--no Bad Guy this time; maybe sometimes the Bad Guy turns out to be sympathetic and virtuous; sometimes legal system is unable to follow through. But all these conflicts are registered for us through the wisdom of the Good Guys, who represent the desire for Truth and Justice.

In Conviction, the protagonists are not in fact particularly Good Guys. The head of the group of DAs, Cabot, will bend truth, justice, and/or the law to obtain a desirable conviction, and clearly gets a personal thrill not out of Truth or Justice but out of Winning. In another show, she would be shown up as stupid or incompetent, but here she is the smartest and most competent person around. The assistant DAs who make up most of the cast could be divided between those who will bend the law to protect themselves and those who are naively committed to some version of Justice--except that the law-benders have consciences and the committed ones find themselves compromising, and compromised too. Winning a case can be worse than losing one, even if Justice is served for a few minutes in the courtroom. What's more, in some cases even we the audience don't get to know the truth about a case--all we get to know is what the DA knows, and that may not be conclusive.

It is really impressive to have such a large cast, each member with a case, all moving around, bumping into each other, often lying to each other, in one episode. The plot is just a pattern glimpsed in chaos. There is no illusion that when one case ends, the DAs can sit down and congratulate each other; more crime is out there, other cases are bubbling up as the criminals and victims of the preceding one sink into the background. I feel that this could be a very truthful and moral show, precisely because it does not comfort one with the triumph of Truth and Virtue.

Refreshing. Not bad. Better than most other stuff now.

Author: nolimitpolo from United States
3 March 2006

In the first episode of a show that I turned on halfway through, the one thing I felt stood out was the acting of a few members of the cast...I felt that they portrayed an amateur or younger lawyer or DA perfectly in comparison to what we see on Law and Order. As for the rest of the show, it is different enough from the other Dick Wolf stuff that I find it more than interesting and will be marking this on the list for next week's show.

I realize that 12 or so years ago this show might not have legs, but compared to what we see now, this makes the short list with The Shield, The Office, and My Name Is Earl as shows to watch in 2006 for me!!!

Great!

Author: KRican from United States
24 May 2006

The show got off to a weak start. As a huge fan of Stephanie March and Eric Balfour, I hung in and I am really glad I did. The episodes became increasingly more interesting and I began caring about the characters by mid-season. What I need to say is - the season finale surpassed any by far that I've seen in a long time. I am addicted to SVU, Desperate Housewives and Close to Home had a great finale this year, but Conviction's 180.8 episode absolutely blew me away. The emotion, sense of panic and urgency, as well as the poignancy of what people mean to us in times of tragedy had me on the edge of my seat in shock, horror and tears for it's entirety. I cannot wait for next season!

Conviction is an excellent show!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: gymnast101 from United States
27 March 2006

I would highly recommend Conviction to anyone interested in law or just someone who wants to find a great show about life. It has great actors including Stephanie March and Anson Mount. It's good to see Alexandra Cabot out of witness protection. She was amazing on SVU. I've heard reviews about Conviction saying that it is unorganized, but I sincerely disagree with that. It might not have been made for people to follow the cases, but it doesn't leave you hanging either, on conviction, your supposed to follow the characters. It is the opposite of SVU. I think that is why some people don't like it. They're used to Dick Wolf's usual hard core dramas. He is just trying something new, and so far it is turning out great. It is a big step over from SVU, which I would also highly recommend, but all those people out there saying how horrible conviction is, just want something to call bad. I wonder if they even actually watched it. It is a great show about young inexperienced attorneys trying to maintain their work level while dealing with their personal lives. It is hardly what I call a "sex in the work place show" and it's not NBC's attempt to replace Greys Anatomy. That's ridiculous. Grey Anotomy was good, but so is Conviction. Conviction is an emotional Crime Drama. Many people say that they made the characters careless, or too problematic. That's what we call Life! The characters are normal people trying to survive their work and home lives. There insults are not true. If your lives don't slightly resemble theirs, then you must be living the perfect life. Conviction is an well made show, with excellent characters. Dick Wolf should feel very proud.

Has potential...

Author: harvardchick from United States
3 March 2006

All of the Law and Order shows focus directly on the crime committed during the episode. The personal lives of the detectives remains somewhat of a mystery... This show is about the characters and their personal lives. Of course, the courtroom drama is still there. We enter the world of young, naiveté, Assistant District Attorneys. Some beginning their career as an ADA, others continuing. It's unique characters consists of: Bureau Chief Alexandra Cabot, an original cast member of Law and Order: SVU, and departed the show by entering witness protection (which will be explained in future episodes). Has been describe as "savvy, yet dedicated" attorney. Deputy DA Jim Steele, a straightforward guy who always seem to know things... Nick Potter, a young lawyer who left a "posh" firm to become an ADA. Brian Peluso, a womanizer balancing his job and trying to mend his love life. Christina Finn, who tries her first case the best she can, learning from all her, quite hilarious, mistakes. Billy Desmond, an egotistical lawyer who only takes on the cases he can win. Jessica Rossi, another quite mysterious person, she helps out Nick. The ensemble cast is just amazing. Although the plot does have it's ups and downs, I liked it. It lacks the stupidity of Boston Legal, but has more professionalism in their office. I do think that it has room for improvement. You know, don't take my word for it, go watch it and check it out for yourself.

loved it

Author: anster182 from United States
22 February 2006

I was able to view a prerelease copy and its great. Glad to see Stephanie March back into action from witness protection program but we do not right away find out why and how she comes back first episode filled with characters you can relate too and a suspenseful twist. The show keeps you on your toes, and not only concentrates on Law and the "business" part of the show, but mostly with individual characters, their emotions within work and social life, and interpersonal relationships inside the bureau. This show is a mix of Grey's Anatomy's (with characters in relationships with fellow colleagues) and the Law and Order franchise's criminal prosecuting.

NBC cancels yet another Dick Wolf drama without giving it a fair chance

Author: tristabella721 from United States
19 May 2006

I have to question NBC's cancellation of Conviction *just* when it was starting to get good - just like they did to Law and Order: Trial By Jury. But this time, we will be left with a cliffhanger of season finale that turns out to be the series finale. And NBC is putting Law and Order: Criminal Intent into the Friday 10 p.m. slot, also known as the kiss of death air time. Will NBC cancel CI, too? In related news - NBC has chosen to bring back Crossing Jordan, a show I love, but are waiting until January. Maybe we will get lucky and NBC will decide to bring back Conviction after all as a midseason replacement - or maybe CourtTV, A & E or Bravo will decide to pick it up. NBC could have even moved it over to USA network (which they also own).

these young prosecutors show promise

Author: grace avila from United States
22 February 2006

Dick Wolf, the creator of the acclaimed Law & Order and its spin-offs, has yet again been dipping his creative pen into the world of law and order in a new NBC series. Set in the New York District Attorney's office, Conviction gives us a peek at the lives of the assistant district attorneys in Wolf's imagination. Joining NBC's lineup mid-season could be a death sentence to any new drama series. However, Conviction has the potential to follow in 2005's Grey's Anatomy's successful footsteps. There are, in fact, similarities in the two series' plots. Though in a legal setting, Conviction is a show about twenty-somethings starting their careers after graduate school. These smart young attractive lawyers, through their uncertainty and eagerness, appeal to the audience. Viewers will respond to this smart show positively, that is if they are open to another sex-in-the-workplace melodrama.