IMDb > "Hannah Montana" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hannah Montana"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Hannah Montana" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

How is this show as well-liked as it is? (possible spoilers)

Author: randomspontaneity from United States
21 September 2007

Why is this show so immensely popular? Back in 2006, I saw the first episode and thought, Hey, this isn't so bad. As the series progressed, however, I found Hannah Montana to be incredibly dull, unrealistic, and a terrible example for children.

Let's start with the "dull" part: Hannah Montana completely lacks in just about everything. For example, the laugh track is played obnoxiously often throughout the show at moments that aren't even remotely funny. The "comedy" also desperately needs better acting; I haven't seen a difference in Miley's expressions at all, and it's always the same little grimace and hand motions. A good or even decent actress would know to vary facial expressions and movements. Simply walking around with hands and arms in the shrug position doesn't cut it. It's not just Miley that demonstrates the poor caliber of acting; nearly the whole cast is incapable of acting. Emily Osment is the only exception. Aside from the acting, the plot line is exceptionally bland; it chronicles the double life of a not-so-great teenager. Personally, I could think of so much more enlightening subjects around which to base a show.

Moreover, the show is totally unrealistic. Blonde wigs don't magically transform people into mediocre singers (yes, I just called the singing mediocre). Any person can see that Miley looks exactly like Hannah Montana (hmm, wonder why), and therefore Miley would be mobbed as soon as she stepped out of her front door. However, she is totally able to keep her cover and keep her night life under the radar like magic.

Also, the show is an atrocious example for the young children who watch this show. It insists that it's okay to be exceptionally cruel to your friends; they'll always come back. It says to feel free to use all the sarcasm you want; it doesn't affect people. That is not the way the world works; cruelty should not be acceptable. It should not be funny, either. For some reason, we are supposed to find insults, sarcasm, and bad attitudes to be hilarious. Miley is basically a spewing fountain of sarcasm. I can't recall one episode where she hasn't used her "Ya think?!" line (multiple times at that, and apparently this is "funny"). Since when is shouting at your supposed "best friends" okay to do? I have a five-year-old relative, and she adores the Disney Channel, in particular Hannah Montana. About three months ago, her mother had to ban her from watching the show because she was developing an attitude similar to Miley's: mean, sarcastic, and trashy. Here was a five-year-old little girl who was back-sassing her parents, acting like she owned the world, treating her younger brother like dirt, and dancing in a very suggestive manner. Was the aim of the Disney Channel to produce a show that would transform all the innocent little girls of the USA into trashy preteens?

This show is possibly the worst show the Disney Channel has come up with. It's sad to see that this is what kids are watching. I advise everyone to stay away; the show is not all it's cracked up to be.

A very sad 1/10.

One of the many examples of why Disney has gone downhill...

Author: Zaptharo from United States
20 January 2008

Did I like Disney at one time? I sure did. Especially the Disney Channel, which once had a whole variety of programs to choose from, including those from when Walt Disney himself was still around. But now, those days are over, and the company is now referred to as a has been. I've tried to tolerate Disney in recent years, but anymore, the majority of what comes out of it is plain crap. The show Hanna Montana is a good indication of that.

Quite frankly, I grew up with sitcoms, and back in the 80s and 90s, there was always a good sitcom to watch with the whole family. Not now. I honestly can't see why Hanna Montana is so popular among the kids and the young teens crowd. It is dull, and the laugh track that is common in sitcoms is played in even the most boring of parts. Miley Cryus herself displays poor acting, heck, I say the whole crew lacks talent. Like HSM, this show is just another poor example of what Disney nowadays seems to think as good entertainment. It is not.

Perhaps the most insulting is when Hanna (Miley) puts on a wig as a disguise. Suddenly, it's as if no one knew who she was. How pathetic is that? She also yells at her best friends, like that it's okay to do in real life. Miley pretty much uses her cheesy lines and cruel ways to deal with things, and in the end, her friends always return. She even has her father playing in this, helping her along the way just in case something bad happens. So to make myself clear, Hanna Montana is a joke, bringing in a bland plot line with some of the most wretched clichés I have ever seen.

I wish the Disney Channel would go back to the way it was. But concerning today's society, I doubt Disney will. I had respect for them, but I have all but lost it in recent years. So unless you have children who are overexcited for this cookie cutter show, avoid this at all costs. It is not what some people claim it to be.

1 out of 10.

Really bad

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
20 January 2007

I do not find this show at all funny. I actually think it is much worse than any of the other terrible Disney channel sit-coms right now. Miley Cyrus is an interesting choice to play Miley aka Hannah Montanna, because she can't sing, and she can't act. The jokes on this show are terribly unfunny, and it makes it even worse when the only cast member that has a little bit (and I mean little bit) of acting talent is Emily Osment as Miley's friend Lily. Bily Ray Cyrus and Jason Earles portray Miley's father (and is her father) and Jason Earles portrays her idiot brother thats always getting in to some stupid shenanigan. Two words that can really describe this show is terribly corny. It's corny humor that only little girls find funny because their brains have not developed yet. Now I've explained my hatred for the acting and the horrible humor, what's next? The whole premise of the show is a stupid idea. She puts on a wig and suddenly nobody recognizes her? It's moronic. In summation, I hate this show, however little girls who do not have a concept of funny will enjoy it, so I guess that's what they're going for over quality.

My rating: Awful show. TV G. 30 mins.

A American 'comedy'. cough.

Author: atomius from australia
14 July 2007

Hannah Montana is a famous pop' singer who has to lead a double life (by her own will it appears) as a normal pre-teen in Malibue, California. That sounds good, doesn't it? No. In fact this is one of the worst 'comedies' i have seen, and i've seen Reba and 8 Simple Rules. Hannah and her best friend are supposedly normal pre-teens (i shudder to think what normal adults will be like in the near future) who have to face the usual anticipated challenges of school, 'dating' and 'hanging around'. The idea of a famous star living a normal life could've been done so much better, but it wasn't. The music is awful (both the country music she sings (i admit i hate country music) and the background music) and the gags are terrible. The jokes and scenes involving Billy Ray, who is apparently her manager, aren't that funny either. The best gag i've seen is reminiscent of 'that's so raven'esquire jokes involving bold and unintelligent visual gags based on dim wittedness or lame attempts at covering up some crime or act. Put frankly, this isn't worth watching. Try an episode and you won't be screaming for an encore from this 'star'.

"Comedic" Disappointment

Author: ExplodingClowns from Australia
23 December 2007

Hannah Montana is Disney's latest hit. Staring title character Hannah Montana (played by Miley Cyrus) and real life dad, ex Achy Breaky Heart singer Billy Ray Cyrus(as Robbie Stewart, Hannah's father). Hannah Montana takes us through the daily life of a teen pop-idol, who, unbeknownst to most; leads a "normal" life as Miley Stewart. Regularly attending school and social events as Miley and playing at sold out concerts as Hannah. Apparently, all that is needed to disguise all your looks is a cheap blonde wig. It's a typical piece of fluff writing, designed for tweeny boppers, who no doubt will think this is "cool" and "trendy". It seems that Disney has lost it's way in the past decade, becoming more commercial, hanging onto the flavour of the month pop-trends and popping out poor quality television, show after show as if they were Spears' babies, in an attempt to attract a slightly older audience. Truly quality should be placed above quantity. The show features the occasional laugh, as well as many attempts at cheap humour, which, more often then not fail. Naturally, you have the bimbo girl(Lilly Truscott), the "gross" and constantly failing brother(Jackson Stewart), the heart-felt Dad(Robbie Stewart) and an assorted list of crushes and minor characters. Not only featuring poor writing and a weak theme, the acting is of a particularly low standard with a special mention to the epically poor stylings of Jason Earles. Although a refreshingly decent performance by Emily Osment is one of the constants of the show. It's truly a shame when the best actor on a show is a one-hit-wonder from nearly two decades ago. It may seem cruel to judge children so harshly(oh wait, Jason Earles is over 30 apparently{which I doubt is true, but if it is, then bahahahahahaha etc. etc.}, so now he has NO excuse), but if River Phoenix, Judy Garland, Shirley Temple and hell even Frankie Muniz could out-perform this cast with their eyes closed, then surely, even for a cheap Disney production cast, the actors could make some sort of attempt at a decent job without miserably failing, but alas this seems incomprehensible. Not only is the show poor in all qualities, but the themes of the show are degrading to the younger audience and slightly offensive as well as derogatory. Focusing on how it is so important to be "cool" and that achieving popularity will make your life complete, granted it's not as bad as the Bratz movie/television franchise, but this is bad for Disney. It disappoints me that a company such as Disney would exploit what used to be an a form of expression, and it disappoints me that people actually swallow this tripe, thinking it is something even close to entertainment. Whilst the secret identity theme has been used and recycled dozens of times in television and movies, I feel that this is a particularly bad interpretation. A truly painful-to-watch piece of trash. RIP witty television.

wouldn't even give it a one

Author: CazMcGovernMcKinnon from United Kingdom
21 January 2008

One thing to say that just needs to be said which sums up this show in a nut shell : Disney have lost all credibility. First of all, to be fair, I am not a young kid so I don't know how young kids feel about this show, but the show consists of (apparently) teenagers. When are Disney going to stop trying to pull off a show about teenagers? Either stop being so conservative and actually show what real teenagers are like or stop humiliating these poor kid actors who are reduced to portraying ultimately complete dorks on the screen. This show is embarrassingly unfunny- Billy Ray Cyrus had one hit album like what a million years ago and now thinks of himself as an actor? Its painful to watch him act and I think bad acting is genetic because shes even worse. The only remotely funny people in the show are Mylee's two friends whom are still not given much to work with script wise but could probably be funny doing something real. The show is simply stupid and made for the mentally retarded. It offers no intelligence, no wit - just the same boring storyline every single episode with the same processed no good acting- I am still scratching my head as to why this show has done so well. Please God - just do us all a favour and take it off the air?

Hannah Montana is lame

Author: liltonyjabz
30 November 2007

I don't have anything against Hannah Montana but her show should be taken off the air it is lame,corny,and boring after watching one episode i wanted to stop watching Disney channel all together it was that terrible she is not that funny. you can tell its her through the blond wig. She didn't really have to do anything to really get the job. there are real actors that are still trying to climb there way to the top and she gets the part no problem. She shouldn't have a Hannah Montana movie her show was only out for what about a year or two now and it is the lamest thing i have ever saw on television. I have one more thing to say why is it that the suite life of Zack and Cody is ten times better than Hannah Montana.

Pathetic attempt at a Children(s) Series

Author: iDontnoyou4321 from United States
24 February 2008

This series is so short of a series, it might as well not have existed at all. I tried to watch this show after some convincing of the kids and since there was such a big hype about it. After watching the show, I stared into space and thought...What has Disney come to? This show basically consists of 4 main characters and a bunch of other side characters. Miley Cyrus plays a famous teen star called Miley Stewart /Hannah Montana who at the same time manages a life as a normal school girl. I honestly don't see how a girl manages two lives at once. It's totally unrealistic. Back on topic, Emily Osment plays Miley's "so called" best friend who is yelled at and ridiculed by Miley and they still seem to be "best friends". Jason Earles plays Miley's idiotic brother and always seems to get into trouble; Not to mention how he is always able to make very off-beat puns. He also seems to work at some sort of a snack shack for a demanding and extremely bratty 11 year old kid named "Rico" who is played by Moises Arias. Robbie Stewart who is played by Billy Ray Cyrus is the father of Miley Stewart who always seems to take care of or handle Miley's problems by talking to just her about it. Not her friends or anyone else, just talking to his daughter. Also, he tends to be very moist and vague to help any real life problem, and the problems always are usually simple, and predictable.

Disney, all and all, is trying harder and harder to get the public(s) attention with new shows that seem to get more abhorrent as each series passes. C'mon Disney! Just shut the hell up!

Worst show ever (possible spoilers)

Author: wwefan90-1 from United Kingdom
20 July 2008

Miley Cyrus plays Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana, a teenager who leads a double life who lives with her dad Robbie (has been Billy Ray Cyrus) and her idiot brother Jackson (Jason Earles). I just don't get why this show is so liked and popular, it has to be the worst TV show I have ever seen.

Firstly the acting is horrendous (with the exception of Emily Osment who is OK). Miley Cyrus has to be the worst actress I have ever seen and her dad isn't any better. Miley Cyrus always uses the same facial expressions and I can't stand her voice, she sounds like a middle aged woman smoking 50 a day. She can't sing and the only reason she has all this success is because of her washed up, has been singer dad Billy Ray Cyrus.

Also how can nobody not recognise it's the same person but in a blonde wig. Anybody can see it's just Miley Stewart in a blonde wig yet people on the show are stupid enough not to know. It's just pathetic.

And it's OK for Miley to treat her friends like dirt. She sets a bad example to younger kids and says it OK to be mean to your friends. They think being cruel, insulting, to have a bad attitude and being sarcastic is funny and great TV. And the amount of times she uses "Ya think" on the show is just annoying, my sister is always saying that and it gets on my nerves. Miley Cyrus is a terrible example for a role model.

The supporting cast of Lilly (Emily Osment) and Oliver (Mitchell Musso) are probably the only people on the show who do a decent job. Rico on the other hand is just as bad as Miley. He's like 10 or 11 and he's one of the most bratty, obnoxious, egotistical, arrogant, annoying person I have ever come across. Characters like that shouldn't be allowed on kids shows. And the laugh track is horrible and annoying, being played in parts were it's not funny and parts were Miley is being cruel which is not right.

This show is embarrassingly unfunny and I warn everybody to keep away from it.

I like the Show!!!

Author: SarkSisters from United States
17 June 2006

Some people say on here it's like That's So Raven, which is false. This show is great, I give it 7 out of 10. It just makes me laugh on a sad day. I can always look up to this show to make my frown to turn upside down. People in my grade feel dumb watching Disney channel, especially this show, but it's like, don't care what people say. Have you noticed that Disney sort of becoming teen or Junior High Standards, which is really good. This show has great actors and actress' in it. They share their talent with us, so we should respect them for that. Also, even though the show might have stupid things in it, it still is funny to me, and I still like it. Anyone can relate to them. Mitchel,(Oliver) the sweet guy, but gets picked on by the mean kids, and likes a pop diva. Emily, (Lilly) she is best friends with Miley, she tries her best at standing up for people, and always knows when to seek revenge. Miley, she wants to be a normal girl, with no problems in her life because of being a pop star. In a way, you can relate to them. That's my comments.

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]