IMDb > The 11th Hour (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The 11th Hour

The 11th Hour More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Powerful film - a must see!

Author: Kes1984 from Australia
16 May 2008

I just watched this and I must say, I was certainly already for environmental causes and considered myself to be adequately knowledgeable on global warming etc, but I had no idea! We are in a far worse state than most would be aware. This film takes you from the beginning of civilisation (to my disappointment, mainly focusing on evolution theory rather than creation - the reason I gave this 9 stars and not 10), then it shows the results of our way of life and frankly, it scares the viewer.

Many notable scientists talk about where we are now, where we will be without any responsive action, and where we can be if we decide to take action.

The film finishes on a relatively positive note, showing that if we act now, we can in fact make the necessary change. It certainly leaves you thinking about your own way of life and how you can change little things here and there to do you bit for humanity.

I think every person needs to watch this as the issue effects us all. Don't think for a minute that global warming isn't real. Just watch the nightly news and you will see it in effect. It is real!

Recommended to all!

too scattered and overwhelmed by too many issues

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 December 2015

Leonardo DiCaprio narrates a documentary about the human destruction of the global environment. It looks at the entire history of human exploitation of the world's resources, its devastating effects and possible solutions. It concentrates on global warming with a large scattering of every scary environmental fears.

There are way too many talking heads. Some faces are recognizable but most of them are unknown environmental scientists or writers. The scope of the movie is so vast that it becomes a laundry list of everything. For environmentalists, this is preaching to the choir. For opponents, this is a slick propaganda throwing everything into the stew presented by Hollywood. For those in between, it doesn't really convince but it summarizes. This is a repeat of 'An Inconvenient Truth' and then piles on everything else. There is just more stuff. I don't see this as anything new or convincing anybody not already convinced. There are so many issues being touched on that I think most independent viewers would throw up their hands and give up long before the end.

It's not An Inconvenient Truth, but...

Author: Alan Rapp (alan@razorfine.com) from United States
25 August 2007

Although it deals with many of the same issues as Al Gore's Oscar winning documentary from last year it lacks some of the style, presentation, and gravitas the former VP exudes so easily.

Still, for what you get it's a pretty good film, though the second half is far superior to the first.

The documentary, as narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, goes into detail of what's wrong with our world, what changes and challenges our generation must accept, and how close we are getting to the point of no return. The first half of the film deals with the destruction and disasters happening all over the globe and comes close, though it never steps over the line, of using the kind of scare tactics many, wrongly, accused Gore of. The second half of the movie deals with what we can do, technology that currently exists and new technology that's on the way. As the film gets more hopeful, peers into the future, and presents amazing opportunities and challenges, it becomes moving and quite powerful.

I'd give the first half of the film a 6, the last half a 10, and so I split the difference and gave it an 8 overall.

If you enjoyed this film and want more you should check out other recent documentaries like An Inconvenient Truth and Who Killed the Electric Car?, both from last year.

Go to RazorFine Review to read my full review for this film, and the others listed above.

Provocative, But Needed More In Terms of Visuals

Author: eric262003 from Canada
28 May 2017

Make no bones about it, we live in weird times. We're now feed to believe that scientific understanding is synonymous to a system of belief. At this moment, no one has caused any convictions to contradict their theories, but the main topics in the air in the scientific community right now are evolution and the fears of our failing ecosystem caused by the effect of global warming. I never thought that the laws of physics even cared about our environmental concerns that could effect our ecosystem forever. And as we speak, we are still debating if the melting of our icebergs is a sign that our ecosystem is in declining health or if it's a sign the Jesus is coming back with a vengeance. It comes to no surprise that that this movie had to include some anti-science religious fanatic to appease some appraisal to the Republican party's agenda. Thanks to this individual, the Republicans are obligated to believe, that in spite of all the toxins polluting the air, the debris in our rivers, the massive oil spills and the deforestation of our Earth is just fine for our environment if you have the power to believe.

Of course the perpetual liberal agenda that is Hollywood will gladly milk in the celebrity endorsements to challenge this global concern. And who's better to conduct this with open heart mixed with narrow-minded integrity is non other than Hollywood's Golden Boy Leonardo DiCaprio. Like a sequel to Al Gore's "The Inconvenient Truth", DiCaprio continues where Gore left us and also serves as a producer as well. "The 11th Hour" tells an intelligent and insightful alarming state of the ecological mismanagement our planet has suffered from over the years. And it doesn't look like its going to get better any time soon.

A cornucopia of professors, journalists, authors, scientists and politicians to discuss this matter of how it has an affect on us and what we should be concerned about. And the big names are quite impressive. Among the heavy-thinkers is the king of thinkers Dr. Stephen Hawking, and among the big-name politicians is former Soviet President, Mikhail Gorbachev. But among the impressive speakers that caught my attention was the very knowledgeable and well-spoken former CIA director James Woolsey. These mainstream of experts tell us we don't have the strength to completely destroy the land that gave us life, but rather the ability to make life more complicated towards ourselves and our legacy to follow us when were dead. The Earth will continue to move forward whether its inhabited by humans or fleas.

For that much-needed celebrity star-power DiCaprio narrates this documentary. Though that's not a bad thing because he has a great voice for narrating, his gravitas lacks in maturity compared to Morgan Freeman or George Clooney. His delivery of words seems way too giddy in all his earnest intentions, his youthful appearance makes him look like he's posing for a teen magazine. And that novice director Leila Connors-Petersen and Nadia Connors presented this film way too conventionally. There's just way too many talking heads with only brief fragments of ecological concerning footage. Sure it's giving us a fair warning, which may make you reevaluate your thinking, but fails to show you the bigger picture.

The main question I have for this documentary is, who is their target audience? Granted it gives the general population as a whole a little something to think about. But in the end, it all comes down to the people already in that train of thought. This movie could have the potential to covert Bill O'Reilly to volunteer for Greenpeace. Instead he'll just find a way to conflict himself against the liberal biased Hollywood.

The only people who might watch this film are those who may watched Al Gore's "The Inconvenient Truth". Which is quite sad because in that documentary, the lecture is gritty with impressive visuals and a flow that's easy to grasp at. "The 11th Hour" suffers from the fact that its executed to a more deeper-rooted philosophical vibe which makes it more encapsulating than it is obtainable. Which is sad because there's a lot to talk about in "The 11th Hour".

After all the doom gloom that's killing our planet, it does shed a light of optimism and the solutions they have for us are both simple and practical. And it's nice that were not getting lectured by radical hippies telling us we all need to live in huts and grow more trees and eat the foods we grow. Instead the more intellectuals are just telling us we don't need to change our lifestyles, but rather depend on our modern technology to generate more fuel-economy cars and recyclable clothing, frugal wind-power and ecological friendly households.

Even though "The 11th Hour" is very strong in subject matter and good on intention, the presentation could've been more better. And though I commend Leo for a job well done in narration, we really didn't need a Hollywood star tells us our wrong-doings. We're capable of figuring it our ourselves without the star power.

Dramatic, Fascinating, and Impactful

Author: Paige Hicks from United States
5 May 2017

The 11th Hour is a 2007 environmental documentary film that was created, produced, narrated, and partially written by Leonardo DiCaprio. It chronicles the state of our natural environment and the dire problems that our planet's life systems are facing. Multiple challenges facing our environment are discussed; things like global warming, deforestation, mass species extinction, and dying ocean habitats. How we got to this point and solutions as to how we can change the future we are headed towards are two things that are explored as well. The saying "the 11th Hour" refers to the last moment when any sort of change is possible, the "darkest hour" if you will, which is a powerful title for this movie and implies just how bad the state of the earth really is. The film uses suspenseful music and haunting images to dramatize things. It makes for a pretty moving documentary compared to some of the others out there. The famous and handsome Leonardo DiCaprio being highly involved in this project must have attracted viewers. They also use interviews and testimonies from highly educated scientists, such as Stephen Hawking, and other experts to make the film more impactful. Some of those experts include a former prime minister and the former head of the Central Intelligence Agency. The 11th Hour's website says that the film features "ongoing dialogues of over 50 leading scientists, thinkers, and leaders who discuss the most important issues that face our planet and people." Viewers call The 11th Hour's images "terrifying" and the interviews "fascinating". They like that the film not only presents the problems; it presents possible solutions to those problems. Critics on Rotten Tomatoes say the film is "well-researched and swimming in scientific data". Reviewers says the film gets it's point across "in a manner that is easy to understand and hard to ignore". Personally, I enjoyed the film. It was dramatic and impactful without making you feel too terrible before it offered solutions to the destruction we have caused. It definitely didn't hurt that Leo was on screen some too. His appearances and narration did not take away from the film in the slightest. I felt more informed and educated on climate change after watching this documentary, and I think that is ultimately what matters with a film of this type that is trying to inform the public about the current climate crisis and move them to action.

Stamping onto the Human Footprint

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
24 September 2013

Leonardo DiCaprio lends his prominence to forward this important documentary about the human footprint and its consequences in the destruction of our environment. Less factual than "An Inconvenient Truth", "The 11th Hour" goes into a more emotional cry for attention and reaction, less focused on the head, more on the heart. Despite this the list of people shouting at us and forewarning us isn't a bunch of crazed lefties, but the cream-de-la-creme of the scientific, business and ecological world. This helps somewhat override the concern that the shock factor somewhat overwhelms the movie, as you can see that this is not a cry for attention made by just anyone. It is made by those who know what they are talking about.

In itself "The 11th Hour" is somewhat of a hatchet job of a documentary, pasting together all the elements in a chaotic tale of of chaotic influence of all life on the planet. Compared to Al Gore's measured tone, DiCaprio feels somewhat condescending and overexuberant, as if taken from a National Geographic wildlife feature. All in all however this is one of those rare movies, where the outer quality is trumped by the messages it contains, making it a recommended watch throughout.

The movie is somewhat devastating and depressing, anyone with half a brain would heed the warning within it and reach out for the hope with which it ends. Unfortunately however I lack the same faith in humanity and can't bear to watch the self-destructive tendencies inherent to our capitalist and corporational model hell-bent on profit, no matter the cost. Preferably one such movie would be made each year and every year we would be offered an opportunity to monitor how well or how badly we are coping with the biggest threat in the history of life: humankind.

The end message is especially tragic: Earth will survive this ordeal. Unfortunately we won't be there to observe this happen, unless we dramatically change the world we live in.

Eye-opening, Interesting, and Motivating

Author: Jillian Kraus from United States
23 April 2012

Rather than ringing an alarm, The 11th Hour presents the necessity of alarm. The world around us is crumbling; and although it is currently unclear as to whether the biggest part is the fault of humans on a natural process, this documentary effectively raises awareness of human's impact on the planet while simultaneously offering viable options for reducing our carbon footprint. With captivating visuals that appeal not only to the aesthetic senses, but emotional ones as well, this movie's ultimate message is both frightening and beautiful. This movie's only true flaw lies in its unintentional demonization of technology. Although the experts repeatedly refer to the possibilities available to us through technology, ultimately the end picture is that of destruction rather than redemption. The juxtaposition of the industrial process for making Kevlar to the natural chemistry of a spider-web is damning to an industry that has saved thousands of lives. They paint a beautiful picture of this ideological, waste-free society, when in reality the change they're asking for can only take effect over a great deal of time through a great deal of concentrated effort.

Straightforward and urgent documentary

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
27 February 2011

A companion-piece of sorts to "An Inconvenient Truth," "The 11th Hour" is an informative and compelling documentary about the adverse impact humanity is having on the place we call home.

Written and directed by Leila Conners Petersen and Nidia Conners and produced and narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, "The 11th Hour" shows how de-forestation, the polluting of the air and water, the over-consumption of fossil fuels, the overwhelming accumulation of waste, etc. are collectively contributing to the larger problems of global warming and climate change. It chronicles the impact such changes will have on the people of the planet, as widespread droughts, mega-storms and rising waters make themselves felt with ever-increasing frequency and force.

As the filmmakers see it, the root of the problem lies in the disconnect between humans and the environment, in our self-absorbed insistence that nature is ours to subdue and dominate, not to live in harmony with. In an ironic twist of fate, it is that very attitude that may well lead to our ultimate destruction. For it is plainly evident that in a battle between humans and the planet that sustains us, the planet will emerge victorious in the end.

After making its case on the scientific level, the movie then takes on the monetary and political forces that make addressing this issue so difficult to do on a practical basis. It goes after profit-driven multinational corporations – primarily the oil industry – for, essentially, buying politicians and, thus, effectively disenfranchising the everyday citizen and voter. But those citizens don't get off scot-free either, as the film makes the point that it is the near-universal obsession with rampant consumerism that greatly contributes to the problem.

The last third of the film is devoted to finding solutions to the problem, to designing and developing new technologies that will actually help to make it possible for us to live in harmony with nature. The argument is that this new technology will ultimately result in a new economy, one based on clean-energy and recycled resources, rather than heavily polluting fossil fuels.

Scientists, authors and other experts in the field – including Stephen Hawkings – are interviewed throughout the course of the film.

The movie ends on an upbeat, power-to-the-people note, showing how all individuals can make a difference by raising their awareness and making informed and thoughtful choices in what they do and buy – and by getting involved.

It's an inspiring message from an inspiring film.

More thorough than expected, but a bit too conciliatory

Author: A.N. from CA
16 January 2011

I was glad to see that this documentary covered just about every major environmental problem, including overpopulation, which is often left out of such presentations; it gets treated as somehow unavoidable.

This film was themed like a number of Peak Oil documentaries that show the collision between human excess and natural systems, and repeatedly point out that attitudes need to change.

Despite the usual hopeful pleas, you get a sinking feeling that not much is going to change because the momentum of economic growthism and consumerism is too strong. I see little reason for optimism when observing the shopaholic drones around me.

I can see this triggering standard denial mechanisms among right-wingers who cling to religious dogma and dominion attitudes toward nature, which the film constantly dispels. I'm sure they think DiCaprio is just another Hollywood "elitist" with the luxury of having a good life while "honest working stiffs" just want to be left alone to pilfer nature and bring home a paycheck (the usual tunnel-visioned attitude).

I wish some of the talking heads had singled out those types for criticism instead of dwelling on a few rotten politicians and corporate entities. Not all corporations are mindless. There are just certain people throughout history who've never respected nature. Those are the ones who need the biggest attitude adjustment (or maybe an intelligence pill).

Still, I liked the overall coverage of issues. I would recommend this as a primer for those who (somehow) aren't aware of what people are doing to their only means of life-support.

A Successfully Frustrating, If a Little Too Flatly Structuralized, Documentary

Author: jzappa from Cincinnati, OH, United States
23 October 2008

The 11th Hour is all information, all the time, with hardly any room for anything else. However, I found afterward that I had absorbed a lot of its messages and heeded them urgently. As you can presume from the title, we are in the last "hour" of Earth's yearly calendar.

This documentary, which seems essentially like a class project, wows us with frightening, time-stressed revelations such as that there was a time when Earth lived on present energy. This year's sunlight fed and warmed this year's crops and organisms. But, by taking advantage of coal and oil, we have literally set fire to millions of years of gathered energy as fast as possible, and the consequence is toxic greenhouse gasses, global warming and planetary disproportion. What sits latterly of this suicidal consuming binge? Stephen Hawking, if one can look beyond the shock of seeing him and hearing him in his current state, depicts a future in which Earth is on a par with Venus, with a temperature of 482 degrees Fahrenheit. There would still be rain, sulfuric acid rain.

In his noble pet project, Leonardo DiCaprio has amassed a collection of esteemed authorities to address from their fields of expertise regarding how we are damaging and overexploiting our only home, and what we might perhaps do to overturn these problems. Though there does not seem to be a great deal of effort behind the composition of this film, its contributors brandish their cold and terrifying understanding of a big element of the entire issue: We don't have much time. Architects describe how we could build buildings that would use solar energy, expend their own waste and operate much like a tree. And then it hits you: We've cut down so many trees that we must now assume their functions with our own technology. There is no reason every home should not have solar panels on the roof to heat, light and cool itself. Well, one reason, actually: It saves you money. The energy companies would and do oppose anything that may pass on their own massive financial backing toward ecologically productive homeowners.

We hear of the destruction of the forests, the imminent death of the seas, the melting of the polar ice caps, the ensnaring of greenhouse gases. The most disturbing shot in the whole movie is brief, a human clubbing a baby seal to death. He does this in the name of oil. Seals have famously been incidentally massacred in the name of oil. All of this is of dire necessity to know. Time is of the essence. But are we too selfish to care? Why aren't more people buying hybrid cars? They can run for a year and pump less pollution into the atmosphere than a gallon of paint. They can get a third up to a half more fuel mileage. So you ask people if they're getting a hybrid, and they squirm and answer evasively because they would rather stand by the old way of spending more on gas and polluting the atmosphere.

Page 2 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]