IMDb > Salvage (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Salvage

Salvage More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Damnnnn, this film is EERIE!

Author: Mike Jones (mike631163@yahoo.com) from United States
2 November 2006

When a film truly concentrates on story, story, and oh yeah, story, you don't mind that it isn't big budget. And this film delivers. And don't get me wrong; there IS some gore, and really weird special effects, but never done gratuitously. The tension and the unraveling is what gets you; all in an hour and twenty minutes! But, it is the ending that really delivers. The film keeps delivering these ominous, nightmare-like sequences, always turning back in on itself, until the heinous ending when all the strings are tied up. And you with it. It's literally like someone throws a glass of cold water in your face.

Be prepared to be haunted for a while by a truly great horror classic that is destined to be remembered and spread by word-of-mouth.

Kudos to the Crook brothers; they are gonna deliver some really great films along the way.

Crossing the Genre Boundaries

Author: andrew-1120 from United States
2 February 2006

I saw this movie last week at Sundance, and completely loved it. I think the humor throws people off because it comes from unexpected places, and the movie will suddenly drop down a horrifying hole, wiping that grin off your face. But who says horror films can't do that? This is what independent film is about: breaking the Hollywood mold because you can; because you're not committed to a corporation only out to turn a profit. Regardless, all the elements of this movie mold perfectly together to form a realistic world where anything but the norm is happening.

All the actors, Lauren Carrie-Lewis, Chris Ferry, and Cody Darby all give excellent performances. And Lauren brings her character Claire off the screen in a disturbingly real performance. I definitely think this movie will get distribution. I can't call the extent (video or theatrical), but it'll be out there. I promise that. Definitely look out for this one!

Very good low budget movie

Author: lkdb (lk36db@yahoo.com) from North Carolina USA
20 August 2006

What can you say about this movie? I liked the plot and story very much and it was different to say the least and i didn't exactly know what was going on until the very end. I have read some of the other reader comments saying they didn't get it. Its not rocket science, you just have to pay attention to whats going on and you need to watch it until the end. Because if you didn't watch it until the end you won't understand it. I don't understand what there isn't to get? Anyway the acting was very good for such a low budget movie, the girl does a good job as the main character and i'd like to see her in other features as well but i doubt she'll get a lot of parts because she isn't Hollywood beautiful, but she is hot in her own way. The villain was good too he was believable. There wasn't a whole lot of gore in this one either, there were a couple of parts that made me squimish though. I'd say check it out, its a very solid rental to say the least.

Fascinating in its normality

Author: John Rankine (burglarbil@btopenworld.com) from Sutton, England
6 September 2007

I'm not usually that impressed by independent films because I like my movies glossy and slick but this one stands out because everything takes place against a background of mundane normality. No glamorous instantly recognisable stars or exotic locations in this movie. The cast all look like the guy/gal next door and the locations are authentic small town USA which in itself is like another world to us British viewers. Lauren Currie Lewis is completely believable as Claire the girl who dies again and again in her personal horror groundhog day and despite the clue earlier on I didn't see the twist coming at all. Didn't think much of the actors portraying the cops though, they let down the hard work done by the three main players and the scene in the service station was obviously inspired by Switchblade Romance but overall well done guys, great job - 8/10

Genius

Author: angelexposed from Edinburgh
27 June 2006

This is one HELL (okay, a little pun there) of an excellent horror movie - and I really mean that. A lot of people disregard it for it's low budget, amateurish acting and poorly written dialogue.

These people however, I think are completely ignoring the fact that the story in itself was incredibly original.

A nineteen year old is brutally attacked and slain in her basement by a local madman by the name of Duke Desmond. However, after her murder, she finds herself reliving the same morning she was killed. Trying to disregard her strange sense of deja V, she convinces herself that her murder was just a terribly convincing dream, and tries to go on with her life - however going on with her life isn't possible anymore, she seems to have fallen into a strange limbo of reliving the same day over and over.

Her dream begins to turn reality, she's seeing Duke everywhere, and haunted by his presence - even after the police have assured her Duke was killed a week previous.

The ending is absolute genius, which will leave some of you thinking "what the--?" and the more perceptive of you thinking "oh, wow! Now I get it!" I really have to recommend this movie to any horror movie buff. If you like movies like "The Sixth Sense" then this is for you...it leaves you thinking. It's incredibly psychological, although there is some gore and one particularly disturbing scene. Be ready, that's all I'm saying.

good crime drama

Author: wrlang from United States
5 November 2006

Salvage is about a killer that gets his just deserts. The cover made me a little uncomfortable, so it took me a while to pick it up. It starts out with the star, a typical teen age girl trying to start her life after high school. She has a job and a boyfriend with a truck and she also goes to college. As the movie rolls along you get little hints about what's going on. But the same day keeps repeating with bad results that only she can remember. Flashbacks and visions get so confusing it starts to detract from the movie until they begin to let the secret loose. A good pertinent sound track that wasn't overpowering as some low budget films tend to do. A nice twist at the end makes it an unusual film well worth seeing.

Lauren Currie Lewis is going to be a star (fingers crossed)

Author: (PureedMonkeyBrains) from United States
27 January 2006

This is a pretty cool, low-budget film I just saw at Sundance. I have to say that Lauren Currie Lewis is terrific. And sexy-cute. I hate to make make comparisons between actors, but she looks like Alicia Silverstone, but with gobs more talent. The movie itself is pretty entertaining, but I doubt it will find distribution (I hope I'm wrong). Chris Ferry is great as a villain. He totally nails it and I loved hearing him keep calling Claire - it was funny. And the music was great too, evoking a lot of themes you'd typically find in a suspense / horror film. Again, Lauren is totally adorable and sexy. I can't help but feel she's going to become much in demand after this.

Excellent indy film!

Author: Lynne F. from United States
7 August 2007

I have been a horror/thriller enthusiast much of my life and have been requested to both view and opin films from "B-rated" to independent to studio quality. I had heard about "Salvage" from the Sundance reviews, but only recently had the opportunity to view it myself. I found this film extremely well scripted, produced and edited, especially given the limited funding/production costs. Outside of the technical aspects…the cast was outstanding; lending both realism and drama to their characters. The villain and victim were engaging and I found myself empathizing with them both in very different ways. In light of todays hi-tech graphics and computer-generated thrills, Salvage is a credit to its genre. You are intrigued and held hostage to the plot until the final, twisted end. Bravo.

Nice little movie. But you need to get it to appreciate it!

Author: mbalmer-1 from United Kingdom
21 October 2006

Given the constraints of the budget, this was an excellent hour and a half's entertainment. The lead actors were excellent and the plot was imaginative and original.

It seems to me that those slagging off the film didn't actually understand the plot. Maybe they should stick to the big Hollywood movies that take pains to explain every twist so even the stupid can watch! The advantage of low budget indy films is that the viewer has to make some deductive leaps himself.

I, for one, spent some time in the movie working out exactly what was going on. Was she dead? What was the relationship to the killer? Why was the mother so creepy? But the ending, when it came, was still a surprise.

Wow...

Author: snowdog-14 from Japan
29 June 2006

It's seldom that a modern movie appears that really shocks and really scares.

Throughout "Salvage" -- from the first five minutes, to the final mind-blasting seconds -- you'll be feeling either those creepy, tingling chills, outright shock and revulsion, or genuine fear.

This movie delivers.

Perhaps one out of every twenty movies in any genre is genuinely good at what it does. This is one of those exceptions. The soundtrack in particular, with the low cello bowing and dijiridoo, is masterful, as is the ballsy, full-in-your-face heaviness of modern girl slash-rock Devola, and the tongue-in-cheek lyrics are synced to the story brilliantly.

Clever, believable dialogue, pacing from a director that understands tension, superb acting for characters that garner sympathy and could well pass for your neighbors, a charismatic, talented lead, subtly powerful use of filtering and slick camera work.

This movie has it all.

Scared the Hell out of me.

Bravo.

If there's any justice, this is destined to be a classic.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]