Overdue tribute to radio's finest writer

Author: krkurtz from United States
21 April 2006

In 1945 SIXTY million people tuned in to hear one radio program, out of a US population then of about 130 million. It was "On a Note of Triumph" by Norman Corwin..the same title as this year's Oscar winner for documentary films. This tribute is well done, including comments from Walter Cronkhite and Robert Altman, among others..and interviews with the 95 year old Corwin who is still teaching.

I have 2 objections to the film (1) the producers failed to interview Corwin's number one fan..moi; (2) not enough people will see it and realize that the things Corwin hoped we had learned from WW2 we still have not learned today. Perhaps if enough people see this new tribute, we will learn--at last.

Terrific score accompanies documentary

Author: rmixon-1 from United States
10 September 2006

I loved the film and felt that the words of Norman Corwin are as meaningful today as they were in the forties and fifties. What an ideal film to make part of a modern history curriculum in both high school and college. It is also a great review of journalism when it was at a higher level-- journalist as essayist. It is a reminder of the 4th estate as a significant player in current events.

The score accompanying this documentary is very varied and poignant--I found it a great setting for Corwin's persona--I hope it will get some more press. I look forward to the film being more widely available and the soundtrack as a promoted CD for purchase.