IMDb > Away from Her (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Away from Her

Away from Her More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I think all we can aspire to in this situation is a little bit of grace.

Author: lastliberal from United States
4 January 2009

Just what can be said about this film that hasn't already been said.

The depiction of the pain of dealing with someone with Alzheimer's is enlightening and prepares you for what may happen to someone you love. Gordon Pinsent and Olympia Dukakis were superb as the spouses who had to deal with the loss of their loved ones.

Sarah Polley has accomplished a magnificent tour de force as writer and director of the outstanding film. What can she possibly do to top this? Kristen Thomson really made this film worthwhile by her super performance.

But, it is, without a doubt Julie Christie's movie and she nailed it

Pinsent and Christie a great team with fine support acting

Author: barryrd from Canada
4 December 2008

Away from Her explores the world of an ageing couple named Grant (Gordon Pinsent) and Fiona (Julie Christie) whose comfortable retirement becomes complicated by Fiona's affliction with Alzheimer's. Fiona gracefully resigns herself to life in a nursing home - away from her husband. To allow her to adjust, she is required to be in the home for a month before she can see Grant. This is not a condition that Grant can easily accept but Fiona has the strength to to look her fate straight in the eye and accept the transition gracefully, almost too much so. In fact, when Grant returns a month later, he is dismayed to find that she has adjusted all too well and has found a new purpose in life by caring for an old flame by the name of Aubrey, whose disease is far more advanced. Her memory of Grant is erased, except for short periods of lucidity.

Julie Christie plays a beautiful older woman with a wry sense of humour and Gordon Pinsent, the adoring husband. Christie, the female lead in Dr. Zhivago, Darling and other 60's movies, shines in the role of Fiona, who is elegant, literate and witty. With the passage of time, we see her deteriorate before Grant's eyes, a condition that is heart-wrenching for him.

Canadian actor Gordon Pinsent is the husband who must come to terms with the condition. Pinsent's character, which he plays so well is flawed, yet down-to-earth and caring. Pinsent has a long history in Canadian film-making since his days in the 1960's when he performed the role of a Member of Parliament on the CBC. Canadians have seen him age and grow in stature as an actor. Forty years on, he has aged like a great wine.

Fiona's new found object of affection is Aubrey, performed by Michael Murphy, an actor who matured in the 1970's and 80's, when he performed such roles as a slightly neurotic urban professional or Woody Allen's buddy. His practical and plain-spoken wife is Marion (Olympia Dukakis) who must cope with the loneliness of his absence. She and Grant come together over their common loss. The hospital staff also give excellent performances and we feel as if we've seen them before. All in all, a fine film about an affliction that is treated honestly and thoughtfully.

can't stop saying wow!

Author: iam-dominie from Australia
16 October 2008

i salute the writer of this story.it was really great.very touching and it makes people cry seas and oceans.i wonder how much inspiration the writer had to come up with a very interesting story like this.

no one else could replace Christie and Pinsent for their amazing performance.

i remember my mom saying,life isn't fair. life is not always what we want to happen.life is a continuous struggle. this movie makes us reflect much in life.

the hardest thing to do is let go of someone we love but to make the person happy against our happiness is harder.

i'll watch the movie again and again. i will never get tired of it.

i hope you'll come up with more movies like this.

uplifting and hopeful

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
28 February 2008

given the subject matter,you might think this film would be depressing,but i didn't find it so.it's about a husband and wife who have been married a long time,when they both notice the wife has been having memory lapses.soon they come to the realization that she has Alzheimer's disease.the rest of the movie deals with their struggle to cope.the meaning of the title is explained very early on,and makes a lot of sense.the acting is superb.that's the word that comes to mind.Julie Christie is the wife,Fiona,and is brilliant in her transformation from loving wife to someone in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's.the transformation is subtle,as is her performance.Gordon Pinsent is equally great as Grant,her husband.Olympia Dukakis is also strong.beyond the performances,the movie itself is very realistic in how it depicts the people afflicted with Alzheimer's,as well as their loved ones.it's also very moving,and is uplifting and even hopeful.i hope Sarah Polley continues to direct,as she has a very great future ahead of her.for me,Away From Her is a 10/10

Underrated Actor

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
25 February 2008

Away From Her (2007)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

A husband (Gordon Pinsent) must come to terms with his wife's (Julie Christie) Alzheimer's disease as she slowly begins to forget him and starts a relationship with a crippled man living in her nursing home. In 2006 we had Venus, which was clearly made to try and get Peter O'Toole an Oscar and I think this film was made to get Christie another award but in my opinion the entire heart and soul of this movie belongs to the terrific performance by Gordon Pinsent. Christie is certainly very good in her role but I found the role to be pretty simple whereas Pinsent had a very difficult role, which determined the actor to display a lot of different emotions. For the most part his character is very quiet so the actor must use his body motions and eyes to display his feelings and these feelings come off very clear and heartbreaking. As for the film itself, I was left rather disappointed outside of the performances. I think the film went on way too long and all of the stuff with Olympia Dukakis's character could have been cut. Polley handles the material very well and shows a lot of strong touches for a director who isn't even 30 years old yet.

Beautiful film

Author: jsorenson777 from Japan
24 February 2008

Sarah Polley has done a wonderful job in her directorial debut. This film, as sparse and crisp as skis on snow, will take you quietly into a version of life's final chapters -- poignant and simple and profound, sad and lovely, wondrous and courageous and elemental.

The performances are so consistently spot-on that the director must once again be praised. All of the actors are superb, but for some reason the somewhat lesser roles stand out. The hospital administrator and the lead nurse come across as full-featured and realistic with strong veneers overlaying different kinds of fragile interiors.

Alas, no bizarre twists, no quirky comedy, no blood and guts -- and far too few awards.

All-in-all one of the best films to come around in a long time.

Bravo!

A beautiful film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
23 February 2008

Away from Her is an excellent and beautiful love story.Director and screenwriter Sarah Polley shows an enormous talent in this film,her first movie.Away from Her does not have cheap sentimentalism and I think that's the best element from this great movie.Julie Christie brings a magnificent performance and all the awards she received are totally deserved.Gordon Pinsent also brings an extraordinary performance.The only I can say against this movie is that it had some slow moments.But,still with that,Away from Her is an excellent movie with extraordinary performances,without cheap sentimentalism and,the best thing of all,very entertaining except for some minimum moments.Polley is a very promising talent and it would be interesting to watch more movies directed by her.

Slow moving and relaxed paced melodrama that touches your emotions.

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
23 February 2008

"Away from Her" is one of those films as you watch you feel taken in as it's pace moves slow yet it's message is touching as you see a couples love slowly and sadly stripped away. Set in cold and snowy Canada the scenes give it a winter and blissful touch of hard love from the beginning showing the love of a married couple for almost 50 years, Grant(Gordon Pinsent)and Fiona(Julie Christie). This love seemed to have an ever on going presence to it only to slowly and surely have it broken by Fiona's broken and evident memory loss. As the film goes on Gordon can only seem to remember his happy moments by flashbacks of good times with Fiona in her early years. As this disease takes them from lovers to strangers. Good supporting performances are given here too by Olympia Dukakis and Michael Murphy whose characters are also touched by the memory disease in some form. Overall this film isn't everyone's cup of tea, yet many older viewers who have dealt with this topic of disease love loss may find it a winner it's still a must see due to Julie Christie's performance.

Away Out In Front

Author: writers_reign from London, England
16 February 2008

I've never understood the fuss about Julie Christie, especially in Darling which I found vastly over-hyped and overrated. In short I could take or leave her but I have only admiration for her performance here, indeed, for the film as a whole. Almost inevitably it had a brief and limited showing on its original release and I missed it so I was pleased to find it reissued - albeit again fairly restricted - to coincide with Christie's Oscar nomination and I'm delighted that I finally caught it. I haven't read the other comments here but I suspect that the majority are favourable, indeed it is difficult to find any negatives in this superb film which is, above all, gentle, an irony not lost on one who remembers Dylan Thomas's Do not grow gentle into that dark night. In a short space of time the film offers everything, a love story, a loss story, a story of old regrets and new sorrows. I can't recommend it too highly.

An emotional two hour trip

Author: Sai Prasadh from India
3 February 2008

What adjective do i add for this movie? Good? Na. That underestimates it.Brilliant?That has been reserved for Gordon Pinsent and Julie Christie.Excellent?Thats been reserved for Sarah Polley.She's one of the younger directors to watch out for in the coming years. So i decided to use "beautiful". Yep. Thats what it is. A beautiful movie. Sarah Polley has directed a beautiful story which oozes out emotions.Some brilliant acting by the lead pair. Admittedly I've watched only one movie on Alzheimer's and that too a Hindi movie called Black. But that didn't focus too much on it as it was almost at the end when the disease crops up. This movie focuses on the disease right from the starting. The depiction of dementia through the character of Fiona and other patients around her is not good, its excellent. Gordon Pinsent carries his role of a pained husband with so much ease. Its a shame that so good an actor has been wasted all these years. An emotional roller coaster, ladies make sure you got plenty of tissues lying around. And it will be better if you darken the room if you are watching it home with others.

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]