My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade
Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Feels good, man

Author: clashdudette87 from United States
6 August 2008

Though it has been two years since its official release, it is easily the best film of 2008. In my humble opinion, it is the best of the "My Little Pony" series. Second only to the film classic "Last Tango in Paris" in terms of its cutting edge cinematography and intriguing and highly original plot, it stands alone as a masterpiece in regards to its careful handling of a very difficult subject. This movie has something for everybody. It is a raw and unapologetic social commentary for a generation in search of the answers to the biggest questions of our age with sing-a-longs you can have on your iPod and not be ashamed to show off. The music is inspired and wonderfully executed, and it's cinematic score was simply breathtaking. My only hope is that when I have children, they can draw from the knowledge and wisdom I have gained from watching this brilliant piece of cinema. This is the only movie I have ever recommended to all my friends and have been thanked for afterwards.

A staggering masterpiece...

Author: meininky from United States
2 September 2008

In my eighteen years on this earth, I have been able to see many movies, some of them great, some of them terrible. Only one of them, however, has been able to move me to tears of exultation and utter, boundless joy. That movie, my friends, is My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade. The My Little Pony series has always been known for its cutting-edge approach to film-making as it tackles tough issues and offers a refreshing commentary on surprisingly deep subject matter. Princess Promenade goes even further than its wonderful predecessors. This movie is the second coming of Christ. It is an orgasm for the senses. It is the word "perfect," transformed into an animated, watchable form. It is love itself. It is like an evolved form of oxygen that is so much fresher than a typical breath of fresh air. If you don't see this movie, you have never experienced life or seen color or felt a single genuine, worthwhile emotion. Life begins and ends with my pony friends at the peerless Princess Promenade.

A pleasant surprise

Author: mudkiprex from United States
6 August 2008

I wasn't expecting much from a direct to video children's movie but my girlfriend really wanted to see it - she's really into kid's movies, hopefully when she hits puberty she'll grow out of it - but in this case I was pleasantly surprised. The plot it amazingly insightful without being too pretentious or condescending. If Orson Welles had made a movie about talking ponies, this is the movie he would have made. I can't recommend this movie enough. Anyone can appreciate it and it works on so many levels. The visuals are really amazing, especially considering the budget. The voice actors were all spot on. And the pacing is perfect. I was almost moved to tears by its innocent and simple beauty. I didn't want to cry in front of my girlfriend because it would have been embarrassing to cry during a pony movie, but it was just that good. Do not miss this hidden gem. If it isn't nominated for Best Animated Picture, I will be protesting The Academy Awards this year.

stunning...

Author: Walker Texas Ranger from Mother F'in Plane
6 August 2008

I was watching my two nieces at their house and they insisted on watching this movie, which they apparently owned. I figured, hey, it will save me some trouble. So I go to play the movie and am shocked to find this is not just another typical children's movie, but a modern work of art.

Right from the beginning, I found myself drawn in by the unique and refreshing character designs. Not only did the jovial mise-en-scene create a strong sense of attachment, but the story was unlike anything I had ever seen. The twists, the character interactions, it was all so heart-warming and perfect. The end of the film was an emotional climax, and one of the few times I have ever cried to a movie.

Some people do not believe any one film can ever be perfect, but My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade would certainly be as close as anything can get. It saddens me that so many people have judged this book by its cover (or should I say, film by its box art!) and simply dismissed this as being another trivial cash-in in the crowded children's film market. These people are missing out on one of the greatest stories I have ever had the chance to witness. The film's dynamic appeal to young and old audiences alike is unique and welcome. If you are looking for a piece of cinematography which is an absolute joy, The Princess Promenade is for you.

Forget Everything You Know About Ponies

Author: Keith from United States
28 December 2008

There's a certain measure of beauty striven for by artists in this world, a dream of absolute aesthetic perfection heretofore thought unreachable by the flawed hand of humanity. This dream has just become reality. My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade has opened a doorway to a realm of staggering beauty, one that can't be explained away with simple words. To watch this film is an experience like no other. To quaff the heady brew of its majesty is to wrap yourself in a blanket of enlightenment. You don't just see its purity, you taste it. It fills you. I am not a religious man, but this film is as close to God as one can come in this wretched world of ours.

Any attempt at analysis of how the film achieves what it does is meaningless. One can certainly break it down into its component parts, though this yields more questions than answers. (1) A narrative of staggering force and clarity. (2) Simple yet elegant camera-work, comparable to the masterworks of Ozu, yet leagues beyond even his understated beauty. (3) A swirling palette of colors, always moving yet never extravagant. (4) A troupe of actors who will accept nothing less than to become these noble beasts, to cast off the shackles of their own human identities and, through their words, conjure a kind of concentrated beauty from the very aether around them. Yet this is nothing more than a simplification--a reduction of what is by definition vast and unknowable to a straightforward list of observable attributes. MLP:TPP is so much more than the sum of its parts, and must be felt to be believed.

That this film hasn't received more critical attention is a monumental tragedy. Though perhaps... perhaps the real tragedy is within ourselves. It may be that we are simply not ready to open our hearts, let the scales fall from our eyes, and embrace the only true beauty that really exists in this world: My Little Pony.

The Majesty That Is "The Princess Promenade"!

Author: JasonGOrtiz from United States
17 July 2009

In my life, Pre-Princess Promenade, I was a mess. A miserable buffoon who walked around spouting racist vulgarities, shoplifting from The Goodwill and punching random toddlers in the face. My life was empty and in desperate need of something to provide fulfillment. I was on the verge of suicide when an amazing thing happened. This movie came on and I immediately felt a surge of life shoot through my veins! I had finally found that missing piece and my life felt complete!

I took the razor away from my wrist and ran out onto the street where I began hugging everyone I could find. I grabbed an old lady and after she stopped screaming, I hugged her tight and whispered "You are special and I love you." I was overcome with a brand new positive attitude!

When the cops came I gave each of them a big kiss on the cheek and told them I understood why my face was being held to the hood of the car and that they were both really good at their job. Life had new meaning!

That night in jail I walked up to a group of ruffians and sat down. I told them their game of spades would have to wait, for I had something amazing to share with them. I told them all about this wonderful little movie called "My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade" and how it had really changed my life. I don't think many of them were quite ready for my message of hope, but I believe that I touched some hearts that night. Later on I let everybody know that I was not upset and that I thought my two new black eyes really complimented the color of my face. I was now literally seeing the world through a brand new pair of eyes!

Well, needless to say, this film affected me very deeply. It is a powerful story about what it means to really be alive. It is, without a doubt, the single greatest achievement in cinematic history and is comparable to "Citizen Kane" and "The Godfather". It will continue to change lives and live forever in the hearts and minds of those who it has already touched.

A very heartfelt thank you goes out to the amazing filmmakers! You, my friends, should be seriously considered for a Nobel Peace prize, for I believe that a few more movies of this caliber could bring an end to hunger, poverty and war. Thank you!

The most sophisticated film i've seen in years!

Author: der_bobster from Germany
2 November 2008

I was quite wondering about the good comments on this movie. I thought "Come on, you're kidding me. How can a "My Little Pony" flick be outstanding?!" How wrong i was... Right from the beginning, with a breath taking intro, you can't refuse this astonishing work of art. "My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade" glorious succeed the gap between child-movie and high-minded piece for adults. It's like "The Matrix" and "Citizen Kane" together: So many levels, you can't touch just by first time watching. In the end, i almost cried my eyes out of tears, the most bittersweet end since "Life Is Beautiful". Don't let you misguide by the - i admit - kitschy cover. It's so much more...you can't even compare it with the movies from Studio Ghibli. Masterpiece!

Mind. Blown.

Author: backwards_pi from United States
25 January 2009

Never before has such a touching, heartwarming film succeeded so well as both a captivating family film and an epic adventure. It finds its way into the hearts of people from all walks of life and fills their soul with happiness and joy. The dialogue is spot on and surprisingly edgy for such a film - as though the writers of The Shield began writing for talking ponies. Yet it fits perfectly. You can almost imagine such words coming from the mouths of real ponies.

The cinematography was excellent. Scenic landscapes and a deep focus allow the viewer to take in the breadth and beauty of the setting and drives us closer into the Ponies' world.

The graphic sex scene was also masterfully executed, with the camera moving over our copulating couple with smooth grace and majesty as their bodies ripple and throb before us. Don't feel dirty if this scene arouses you, you are feeling exactly what the director, in what will be his most memorable credit, wants us to feel. Not since Spielberg has such a person been able to inspire such a swell of emotion in his audience members through the manipulation of two dimensional imagery.

Educational, captivating!

Author: batanga
6 August 2008

I was looking for a children's movie to watch with my 4 year old daughter, had no expectations whatsoever. It simply blew me away. The characters were captivating and the story compact, touching and sweet. I am not ashamed to say I loved this movie. This is the kind of show that should be in television in place of the overtly violent, grim-dark series they usually show. If this movie ever got to the silver screen I wouldn't hesitate to go see it again and again, with or without my daughter.

To all parents looking for light hearted and emotional adventure to share with your children, this is it.

A Tour De Horse!

Author: alex_shifrin from Moscow, Russia
24 February 2010

My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade was, is, and will be the film that inspires generations of filmmakers to build upon its benchmark of cinematic craftsmanship. There is neither nothing extra, nor nothing missing in this masterpiece. It's as if the director looked straight into my soul, and showed me the very essence of what I'm made of.

This film made me want to have children, so I could share it with them. I asked my downstairs neighbour if I can borrow his children for an afternoon so we can watch My Little Pony: The Princess Promenade together, but he looked at me kind of funny, so I told him that I was only joking. But I wasn't.

Don't waste another minute. Go get your copy now, and start living.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]