IMDb > Sarkar Raj (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sarkar Raj

Sarkar Raj More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Not only entertaining....but enlightening also!

Author: sonali_no1 from Hong Kong
9 June 2008

I personally really liked the movie.

True, it may not have been as fast-paced or powerful as the first one, but it definitely leaves an impact, and a big one too. I not only enjoyed every minute of this movie, but learned a lot from it too.

The background music was good, it suited the scenes and the genre and the religious temperament of Subhash Nagre, who after all IS the protagonist. Everything eventually, does revolve around him. Dialogues were amazing. So what if they were philosophical and unrealistic at times? They were meaningful and thought-provoking. I have to admit, even after the movie and during dinner with my family, I was pondering over some of Subhash Nagre's words. I especially loved the dialog "There is very thin line between profuse loyalty and betrayal." Honestly, it made a lot of sense and got me thinking about something I had never realised. Whoever wrote the dialogs deserves special praise! I think they were one of the film's strongest aspects.

Of course, in order to give justice to notable dialogs, you need apt actors who can deliver them perfectly. And thank goodness, the dialogs don't go to waste! Big B, Abs and Aish were all top-notch in this movie. They proved themselves, once again, to be one of the finest actors in the film industry. They also proved their versatility because their roles were definitely not easy and very different to other roles they had taken on in the past. Everything about them was perfect...no criticisms or complaints! The story and plot were interesting and although the pace may have slackened at various points, I would not regard it as one of the film's (if there are any), minus points. I think the slow scenes were a much needed contrast to the fast and violent scenes that the film comprised of otherwise. They made the audience realise that the characters in the film, no matter how heroic or powerful they may be, are humans, with emotions and moments where they simply need to be with each other and express themselves. It added a realistic and human touch to the film. The twists and the climaxes were extremely well executed and definitely had the intended effect on the viewer. All the characters and situations in the film contributed to the happening of the twists and climax brilliantly. Nothing made me question - but how can that happen...or why did that happen? I was satisfied and convinced throughout.

Overall, Sarkar Raj was a remarkable piece of cinema that will have a deep impact on the audience, and although you may not want to watch it again, it will take longer than you think to escape your mind

Brilliant sequel!!

Author: dinesh_nandrajog from Malaysia
7 June 2008

I've just got back from watching the movie and I must say I was thrilled with the way the director, Ram Gopal Verma has laid out the film in pure brilliance.

I wasn't expecting much as sequels never do great. I thought the first installment was excellent but this sequel really out-did the first movie.

The three Bachchan's really put in outstanding performances. I must applaud Amitabh Bachchan for just being so natural in the movie, and have never seen a better performance by him in this kind of a role.

So you guys, if you've seen the first film and liked the plot then, I'm sure you'll love the second one. And for you guys who have not watched the first movie (Sarkar) and are planning to just get to this one (Sarkar Raj), get through the first one first, then hit the screens for this one as the film runs in a flow!! My rating ; 8.5/10 Seriously, it was that good!!

Good Sequel, awaiting a better one

Author: Harish Prakash from India
22 June 2008

Sarkar was a brilliant tribute from RGV to the Godfather. So is its sequel Sarkar Raj. It's just the presence of both the real life Father Son duo's awesome screen presence that makes it very much watch worthy. And yes Ash Rai Bachan comes out with a note worthy performance.

The villains pitted against the Sarkar need to be more realistic and challenging. They seem strong, brainy but simply perish to the Sarkar. The plot isn't great but you'll be assured of surprises. The cinematography is simply revolutionary. The mood and tone of this film is simply visible in every shot incidentally a little overdone.

The father-son contrasting style of ideals comes into forte. The Older Sarkar(Big B) is on post retirement and the new one(Bachan Jr.) handles it all with expertise. Enters Ash with a project beneficial to Maharashtra and what follows is the plot.

I am eagerly awaiting another better written RGV Sarkar sequel.

A Good Sequel/

Author: Pratik Jasani from United Kingdom
13 June 2008

To be honest after Ram Gopal Verma's "Aag," I was a bit hesitant to watch this movie even though it had the top actors and also because, normally, I am not very fond of sequels as I believe that they ruin the original.

An overseas based company wants to build a power plant in Maharashtra but the owners, Mike Rajsn and his daughter, Anita Rajan face a lot of opposition and the only man who can help them is Subash Nagre and his son, Shankar. Shankar and his father believe that the plant should be built in Maharashtra and persuade people of the villages where the plant is to be built to accept the plans. But events turn ugly, when one day Avantika, Subash's daughter – in – law is killed when her car is detonated by a bomb.

The movie stars Amitabh Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Supriya Pathak, Victor Bannerjee and Tanisha.

Not as good as the original, Ram Gopal Verma, still has managed to put in some ghosts of Mario Puzo's "The Godfather" more so with reference to bombing of the vehicle and to some extent, he has put in some ghosts of "Sarkar" as well. What was a bit disappointing was that sound track, "Govinda" has not lived to the expectations as it did in the previous one and this is where, perhaps, the music director, Amar Mohile, could have done more to revive the original version.

Be warned there is violence but never the less a good movie to watch with elder children and adult family members.

Appreciation: a must watch film

Author: rathnavel_annd from India
23 June 2008

my sincere appreciation to RGV............

before i start of my review my expectations are high towards the third part that RGV is expected to take in the near future......

the films background has been worked well as i can see the technological intervention in sound works more than the first part..

Big B was good as usual...

Abhishek Bachan is shaping out well to be a great actor as he proved his point in this film... i am southindian i don't understand Hindi at all... as i had to follow the subtitle..the dialogue are mind blowing...I have two doubts in this film, one.. why was ishwarya rai carried throughout the way in the movie..she was more like a shadow to shankar nagre usually the nagre group don't entertain family members or others into what they do....... doubt two.. as Big B says at the start of the film that his son is also on the field for nearly 3 years now he would have clearly figured out something was odd as the bomb was set on the car....i think he would found that was a costly hit and he would have at least had a spark that something fishy was going on around him above the power plant ... other than that the film is an another feather to RGV's hat or flock of movies he had directed last request if RGV did reads this comment i would encourage him to do the continuation on this project as the third part rather than doing another project.......... i have added RGV to list of favourite director Cum producer after Mani Ratnam, Selva Ragavan , Gautham Menon

A classic treat to watch.

Author: rahul_in1980 from Dublin, Ireland
25 June 2008

This movie brings RGV back on track after quite a few miserable movies. This is a sequel to a 2005 hit Sarkar and it fulfills all the requirement of a great sequel.Besides its strong content, SARKAR RAJ has been filmed exceptionally well too. In fact, SARKAR RAJ has the trademark RGV stamp in every sequence. The review would be incomplete without giving the due credit to writer Prashant Pandey's incredible and almost flawless script. Amar Mohile's background score is topnotch. The by-now-famous 'Govinda' chant in the background only enhances the impact. Amit Roy's cinematography is exceptional. The DoP succeeds in giving the film the raw-n-rustic look, which works very well. Action Allan Amin, in minimal doses, is perfect. SARKAR RAJ is embellished with superb performances! Amitabh Bachchan, expectedly, comes up with a terrific performance. He's as ferocious as a wounded tiger in the finale and takes the film to great heights.

Every supporting actor in SARKAR RAJ stands out - Dilip Prabhawalkar was superb, Govind Namdev was first-rate, Sayaji Shinde was perfect, Ravi Kale and Supriya Pathak were OK.Tanisha is alright. The actor enacting the role of Dilip Prabhawalkar's grandson makes a strong impact.

superb movie

Author: ikaatar from Kenya
10 June 2008

SARKAR RAJ has been filmed exceptionally well too. In fact, SARKAR RAJ has the trademark RGV stamp in every sequence. The review would be incomplete without giving the due credit to writer Prashant Pandey is incredible and almost flawless script. Amar Mohiles background score is topnotch. The by-now-famous 'Govinda' chant in the background only enhances the impact. Amit Roy s cinematography is exceptional. The DoP succeeds in giving the film the raw-n-rustic look, which works very well. Action, in minimal doses, is perfect.

its embellished with superb performances! Amitabh Bachchan, expectedly, comes up with a terrific performance. He is as ferocious as a wounded tiger in the finale and takes the film to great heights. First YUVA, then GURU, now SARKAR RAJ. Abhishek Bachchan is cast opposite the finest actor of this country, yet he sparkles in every sequence. This time, the father and son go neck to neck as far as acting honors go. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is fabulous and delivers her career-best performance in SARKAR RAJ. Enough has been written about her looks, but not much space has been devoted to her performances. HUM DIL DE CHUKE SANAM, DEVDAS, PROVOKED, GURU, JODHAA AKBAR and now SARKAR RAJ - she's only got better with every film. On the whole, SARKAR RAJ is an exceptional film in all respects

A Nutshell Review: Sarkar Raj

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
7 June 2008

"To kill is a crime, but to kill at the right time is politics."

Sarkar Raj is the sequel to the 2005 movie Sarkar by Ram Gopal Varma, which is said to be the Indian equivalent of The Godfather starring megastar Amitabh Bachchan in the titular role where a gangster gets elected to political power. You don't really need to watch Sarkar in order to enjoy Sarkar Raj, as characters get introduced fairly quickly, and their motivations spelt out clearly on the surface. Necessary links to the original were presented in flashbacks, while the story here takes off with new challenges that present themselves to the characters whom you can get chummy with in a jiffy.

There were a few things I was amazed with regarding the movie. For starters, to a relative Bollywood newbie like myself, this movie will debunk all notions that Indian movies have to come default with song and dance. There is absolutely no forced musical sequences in the movie, perhaps only the the Govindar theme song which gets repeated play. Next, the richness of colours I am used to when watching movies from the Indian continent gets replaced by a very strained palette, with quite a gritty look that aligns itself with its subject matter. And the shaky camera technique invades the industry too, though there was adequate contrast provided in its camera styles to reflect the innate characteristics of the leads - for a seasoned gangster who has mellowed and found calm, the camera is measured and still to reflect the old ginger's state of mind, whereas when following his heir apparent, it's shaky-cam for the most parts to accentuate his cock-sure impatient nature beneath a facade of confidence.

Going by the loud chuckles of a predominantly Indian audience I was with, there were certainly some nuances that went unappreciated by myself because my lack of knowledge was likely to have not allowed me into some of those jokes, though there were times I could identify with the story's slight mocking of the state of Indian politics, and with the lack of clear direction amongst the chief villains as well, which played for stifled laughs.

Sarkar Raj opens with Aishwarya Rai's Anita Rajan, the daughter of an industrialist in England who wishes to build a power plant in Subhash Nagare's (Amitabh Bachchan) controlled state. Celebrating his birthday, Subhash takes opportunity to signal that his son Shankar Nagare (played by real life son Abhishek Bachchan) has arrived on the big political arena, and is likely to take a more active role in decision making. This shows when he quietly backs and puts faith in his son's pursuit in having the power plant located in their territory, despite having to displace 40,000 people in the short term. Like all politicians with good intent, they're looking toward the long term goals of providing basic electrical infrastructure to their people, but as with all things, there are bound to be opposition to decisions by the incumbent.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, as in slightly more than 2 hours, we're bombarded with political battles made with strategic moves akin to a game of chess, only that the players involved are more than two across a wooden board. There are outright opponents in your face, but the deadlier ones are always those who remain in the shadows, and are difficult to pin down. Gentlemanly campaigning does not suffice, as tricks from the illegitimate book of tactics get drawn out, to consequences that will spiral everyone down the road of violence begetting more violence.

While Amitabh clearly is the head of the household here, just when you thought he had taken a backseat in his role in the sequel, he jumps right back into the driving seat with a vengeance, and it's always interesting to witness the charismatic actor in action. Son Abhishek holds his own against his father's imposing figure, and the both of them as on- screen father-son brings about a sense of realism and naturalness to their characters' relationship, as the son whom the father can trust, and as the father whom the son could rely on for support. Rounding up the Bollywood royalty here is the first post marriage pairing of Abhishek and wife Aishwarya Rai, though Rai's character happens to be somewhat sidelined to a few appearances with plenty of tear duct activation, and doesn't really forward the plot much. But should there be another sequel, then Rai's character is already primed for a meatier role then.

Sarkar Raj has enough story elements to keep you engaged throughout as the characters make all attempts to outplay, outwit and outlast one another. Basic greed of man and being unappreciated (then growing feet too big for their shoes) usually are reasons enough for one to turn against another, but the reminder that goes out is to never rub another man's rhubarb, especially when it belongs to someone with political clout, powerful base support, and well, is a top gangster with no qualms of exacting punishment without remorse.

It makes me want to hunt down the DVD for the first installment already, to see how the Nagares got to consolidate their power, and how certain outcomes mentioned here were played out earlier. Definitely a recommended crime and political thriller!

Good movie as good story

Author: Navin Mistry (reviewerOne) from India
7 June 2008

I am not a fan of RGV's films but this movie is a great make. amazing suspense,correct hold on the direction. as the name suggest( rule of Almighty), it rocks as how mastermind thinks. Good thing about the movie is that it leaves a good message to be true,straight and to think about good of community. movie has low pace but all the characters are strong enough to hold you. some time movie goes in predictable manner and you can guess what would be the next dialog. but after all the movie is good(full of violence,without showing much blood). dialog delivery is superb,and ya .... i didn't see Ash's goggles worth 50 Lacs in the movie :(. i liked the movie for it's best direction, thrilling story, good delivery and best length.

A Must Watch

Author: Karthik Ananth from India
1 November 2011

The Cast consists of all the Bachchans (except for Jaya Bacchan whom RGV couldn't fit in with an appropriate mafia role) After the agony and widespread damage caused by Ram Gopal Varrma's AAG, people wanted to see whether RGV and the Big B can resurrect themselves. Plus this movie was a sequel to 2005's Sarkar which was RGV's tribute to 'The Godfather'

To make sequels in Bollywood has always been a very tricky issue as the comparisons are too critical in nature with the first part.Lage Raho Munnabhai was probably the first Big Hindi movie which became a major success when compared to its prequel...

If any of you guys thought that Sarkar Raj was based on another one of the Godfather series, well then you are grossly mistaken! Writers Prashant Pandey and Ram Gopal Varma have come up with a fresh,new and brilliant plot to assure the audience of 125 entertaining minutes....

I don't believe in blogging movie spoilers, so i'll be as vague as possible....cause this movie is a must see!!

The movie mainly revolves around three characters ( The Bachchan Arena) Subash Nagre (Big B), Shankar Nagre (Abishek) and Anita Rajan (Aishwarya Rai)...Subash has full faith in his son Shankar though he finds it difficult to deal with the fact that its Shankar who is the actual 'Sarkar'...Shankar wants what is best for Maharashtra and Anita Rajan steps in from London as a CEO of Sheperd group...her aim is to make India's largest power plant. Anita realizes Maharashtra as a potential site.Even though Subhas is against the proposition, Shankar strongly believes it is for the state's betterment and he decides to support Anita and her project no matter what stands in their way...

When so many crores of rupees are at stake, the plant project becomes a battleground for dirty politics, deceit and corruption.I do not wish to disclose any more facts of the movie !!u should see it.....The villains are convincing and the supporting cast has small roles with clearly defined characters....The 3 Bachchans have given subtle yet strong performances and it is difficult to see who is the real Sarkar amongst them....

The Dialogues of the movie are powerful and crisp and act as the real Forte of the movie...The background score is impressive though the 'Govinda Govinda' chantings do tend to get annoyingly over used!!

RGV gets full marks for his direction...the editing is perfect as well.....even though there are no song and dance sequences the movie doesn't bore you one bit...

The movie is self explanatory and one need not have seen Sarkar to follow Sarkar Raj...thats another plus point...

The action scenes are spectacular and more importantly 'Very Realistic'!!! RGV clearly demonstrates that the Bullet penetrates both- the Hero and the Villain.

The first half is kinda slow but RGV constructs a proper platform to carry the movie further with ease...the second half is totally gripping and moves at a fairly quick pace...No matter what happens don't miss the 2nd half...especially the part where the suspense of the entire plot will be revealed by Subhas Nagre....thats an amazing scene that will take all by surprise!!

Overall, a brilliant movie which i totally enjoyed !!!

VERDICT: Sarkar Raj - will extinguish the agony caused by RGV's AAG!!! A must see!!!

FOR MORE REVIEWS ON MOVIES AND MUSIC ALBUMS PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG http://themusicandmoviezone.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]