IMDb > Love Story 2050 (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Love Story 2050 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Hearing Nails scratched over a blackboard is more fun

Author: Apurv Nagpal from India
3 July 2008

I think I know what happened here. The Baweja's spent so much money on the Australian locales and special effects / animation on the 2050 part that they ran out of money and employed themselves as the story / screenplay writers and also forgot to employ an editor. The result is a movie reeking with inane, hammy dialogue, a story crammed with unnecessary sub-plots and silly twists and turns. And I honestly think they put every scene they shot, up on the screen. They forgot the editor or his scissors

He-man type, extreme sport loving Harman falls for a mills & boon type, pink colour loving, Priyanka who writes a diary, scribbles hearts, and names toys 'Winkydinks' and 'Boo'. Harman woo's her by break dancing and doing all the silly things that work only in movies and never in real life. He also immediately transforms from an alpha male character into a mushy, soppy mass of goo, who breaks into tears at the drop of a handkerchief. Enter an uncle, mad scientist type, who has a time machine, some more very silly twists and turns, and we're off for Mumbai 2050.

There are three glaring examples of sub-plots which didn't need to be there at all  The two kids : firstly I know of no kids like them, they're irritating, try to be cute, are all senti-mushy-yucky and mouth sentences no self-respecting kids would. Secondly, there's not one reason why they had to exist on-screen.  Harman Baweja's Dad – again, the whole father-son relationship thing was unnecessary. The story wouldn't have changed one iota, if Harman had simply remarked 'i'm on my own'and we would've saved fifteen minutes of screen time  The whole Hoshi angle : an unnecessary caricature of a villain they introduced in the 2050 part of the film.

Come to think of it, they could've just shown Harman and Priyanka to be dating already, spared us the whole courtship thing and gone ahead directly with the 2050 part. So whats good about the film ? The locales in Australia are very nice, well-chosen and for a change its not about Sydney, the opera house and Sydney harbour but something more interesting. Priyanka is all pouty, looks decent, even in red hair. And the futuristic animation / special effects are good. Not great, but good and with a couple of nice touches (the Kantabai hologram and the paan-making robot were interesting thoughts). Harman can dance, look good but is overly made-up (the lip gloss is too prominent) and is very bad at dialogue delivery. His character, during courtship, is also shown doing a couple of things which are very silly (getting up while a roller-coaster is moving and stealing a toy) and kids may take up on that. And eets long, this movie, very painful and very long.

I went more for the 2050 part but unfortunately it's the Love Story part that dominates – they don't let go even in the 2050 part and spoil that too. When I first heard the toy name 'winkydinks', my instinct was to get up and run. I didn't obey it and sat through. Big mistake. Big. Huge ! For more reviews, please go to apurvbollywood at blogspot. Thanks

How bad can it get?

Author: die_Heuchler from Katmandu, Nepal
4 July 2008

I thought Luke Wilson starrer Idiocracy was the worse sci-fi ever. But LS 2050 tops Idiocracy in terms of how bad a movie can get. I simply lack the right words to review this film so I am going to keep it short (I've already wasted too much time in the theatre – cannot afford to waste anymore.) This is, face it, an exceptionally bad movie. This film seriously lacks direction and dimension. You feel painfully bored right from scene 1 and if the first five minutes of a movie does not grip you, it never will. In fact, I lost my attention right from the first. Then that lame staircase scene with Dalip Tahil and more cumbersome scenes Priyanka trying to catch a butterfly in the park. And the mountain bike race and OMG, I had to check my ticket every once in a while to make sure I was in the right auditorium wanting to watch a decent sci-fi flick.

Then once we're convinced that these too couple with absolutely no chemistry are dating – the story transports us to this really wacky place supposedly but certainly not Mumbai in 42 years time! Then follows some bizarre sequences that look almost identical to Star Wars (the flying cars or whatever you call them, ) Robots (the city, building design, etc.), I Robot (ha ha, robots assembly line,) The Island (lame XBox fight,) Terminator (skin rip of a robot) a song that's almost identical to Idhar Chala from koi mil gaya, Bridget Jones' Diary (Sana actually starts writing with "Dear diary…" ha ha ha) and perhaps many others too that I may have overlooked.

Oh god, I can write a book on the inconsistencies with this film And whatever with the brand endorsements in the year 2050! Hard to believe Lux would use the same label (and same ambassador) for 42 years (especially for a brand that comes up with new media campaign every year) and that line "Ceat Tyres ke 100 saal.." and all that bull**it.

And whoever said Harmann looks like Hritik – that is one hell of an incorrect statement. He is no way even close to the Hritik Roshan. Boman Irani is really annoying.

Final verdict 2/10 for some clever CGI, an open air stage floating in the air, Priyanka's costume and that's about it!

LOL movie

Author: silvan-desouza from India
16 May 2009

Oh god heaven's sake such a piece of crap God save us

Imagine if this is a future really then we better be in 2008 only

But wait!!!!! before going in the future, we must actually spend the first half cringing and yawning at the love story between Harman and Priyanka

And of course Harman's father Harry has directed the film so lot of reels spend in trying to show his various qualities which are bad like slow motion introduction, plus lot more awkward comic scenes

The first half is a bore

The second half is even worse and the villainy track is even worst

There is nothing remotely engaging in this yawn feast

Maybe a few scenes but the impact is not there

Direction by Harry Baweja is mediocre Music is okay

Harman tries to dance, look, talk, walk like Hrithik and looks like a poor clone of Hrithik and his voice sounds like Sonu Nigam and plus he is too awkward Priyanka is awful Boman irritates and overacts the rest are bad too

Some love stories aren't meant to be told

Author: nomanali77 from United Arab Emirates
7 July 2008

Here's the story: Harry Baweja, a mediocre director but doting father, manages to scrounge enough money to launch his beloved son Harman in a dream project. They set out to find a damsel to play the female lead and come across Kareena, who reads the script, is a bit indecisive, but signs anyway because she doesn't have any other big projects. Suddenly, Kareena starts getting a lot of film offers that are much more lucrative, and she decides to walk out on the Bawejas. Enter Priyanka, a simple, pretty, girl-next-door type looking for love. She's already tasted success with Krrish (in the sci-fi genre) and thinks she's made for this. So she signs up. Here starts the love story of Priyanka and Harman.

This is their real life story, and if you think this is boring, just watch Love Story 2050.

The director has invested a lot of money into the film, but his investments have gone to waste. Filled with special effects and nice locales, the makers thought they could lay off actual screenwriters and do all the storytelling ideas themselves. Bad move. The story and screenplay, from the very first shot, are the worst thing about the film.. so basically, everything else is a little better, which doesn't really matter, 'cos you've lost your audience's interest.

Our main man, Harman (what was his name in the film??!!??) is a motherless boy living in Australia, with a rich father who gives him no attention. This makes for our first useless sub-plot. Played by Dalip Tahil, our hero's dad has two scenes and his character only adds boring minutes to an already boring start. The 3 token friends our hero has (making a comfy, 90s-style foursome) are nothing but guys who are uglier, skinnier and dumber than him. So they're pretty wasted too. Off the top of my head, that's about 20 minutes which our movie editor ignored.

On a morning jog, our hero comes across a girl who somehow has the magical powers to control cosmic forces in such a way that butterflies land in the palm of her hand. Apparently, it isn't as hard as it sounds because our man does the same thing once she's gone... and a couple of times over through the course of the film. This girl of course, is Sana (Priyanka), a girl who writes a diary, loves cute/mushy toys and has never done a bad deed in her life. We are taken through another 10 minutes of uncut footage regarding a friend of hers, and a bicycle race through rocky terrains.

Anyways, so he chases her around, trying to woo her with his break dance moves and constant, needy bickering. What girl wouldn't fall for that? Our Sana is no different. They hit it off, and we're treated to the regular song and dance sequence along with romantic moments, just to "build up the love story".

We're soon introduced to some more useless characters via the girl's family, namely her parents and her adolescent siblings. The latter provide plenty of irritation through to the end of the movie. An important character that suddenly gets thrown in at this point is Uncle Ya (Boman Irani), who plays the passionately mad scientist, complete with the frizzy white hair, the overgrown mustache and the ceiling-high chalkboard. For the past 15 years, he's been inventing a time machine of sorts and he finally succeeds.

Meanwhile, our lady love Sana dies in a horrific accident, and our hero is sad as hell. Some subliminal messages tell him that she has been reborn in the future, in 2050, and is living in Mumbai, so he must go. And that's just the intermission.

Cut to the future, and we see a city (apparently Mumbai) that looks way beyond 2050. Flying cars, obedient robots, mid-air concerts and interfaced boutiques are the highlight of our city. Impressive effects, though. 2050 is made up of a mix of SFX ideas from The Fifth Element, Minority Report, iRobot and a few more Hollywood flicks.

Thrust into this unlikely future are our hero (still can't remember the character's name!!), Uncle Ya, and Sana's whining siblings. They finally find Sana, who is now Zeisha, the greatest rockstar/popstar/teen-queen in the world. It's now up to our team from 2008 to remind Zeisha of her past. The director decides that the audience has not had their fill of unnecessary characters, so he throws in a pink teddy-bear that talks, a multi-lingual robot that looks like Angelina Jolie with dreadlocks, and a Darth Vader style villain named Hoshi. Hoshi, apparently has a back-story where he used to be Uncle Ya's assistant and he betrayed him, or something useless like that. All in all, it's a happy ending 'cos Zeisha decides to go back to the past and replace Sana, and life goes on.

After THAT story, you'd think this movie would have some saving grace. Well, the music by Anu Malik is way below average. There isn't a single song that leaves a mark. All our actors are quite bad, and doses of overacting by our leads doesn't help. The locations are fresh, but Harman breaks into a jive every time you try to look at them. Idiot words such as Winkydinks and Boo are thrown around shamelessly to name inanimate characters. Harman looks decent, can't act, and grew up watching Hritik Roshan films. Priyanka is too bubbly to handle in the first half, and too fake in the second. Boman Irani does a fair job, but his character seems to change shades sometimes. Archana Puran Singh (as Sana's mother) provides moments of humor. At over 3 hours in length, LS 2050 is a movie that has the potential of being really interesting and new for the Indian audiences, but ends up trying too hard to be a saga of love, and one that doesn't seem to end.

don't watch it if you have seen Time machine,the terminator,Jetsons,Sharkboy and lava girl,ultraviolet etc etc..

Author: fahim2003 from Pakistan
12 July 2008

well the movie is a bad copy of a lot of English movies. Major portion has been ripped off The Time machine.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268695/ As in the original the Hero looses the Heroine (both of them don't know how to act) hence you know what happens if you have seen the time machine. The Robot in the movie is too similar to the She-robot in Robbin Williams Bicentennial man hence a rip off. I saw "Matrix","The terminator", "Shark boy and Lava girl" and Mila Jokovich's "UltraViolet" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0370032/) fights in the movie. Virtually The director of the movie believes that all the indians are living under and rock and they would not have seen those movies and if it is made for the international audience then I salute the director :D. Its one of the worst movies I have seen.

And yeah the hero though looks like Hritik he only managed to be a bad copy.

Absolutely no script in ultra cheesy Bollywood remake of The Time Machine

Author: long-ford from India
28 January 2009

This is an overlong, ultra cheesy remake of HG Wells' Time Machine. The script is mangled almost beyond recognition by the makers. Clearly intended as a star vehicle for Harmen Baweja, the poor actor is forced to play second fiddle to leading lady Priyanka Chopra in Mumbai of the future. He comes across as a weak imitation of Hrithik. The Special Effects are are anything but special and simply not worth the hype. There are oddly offensive jibes at the Hindi language, and a ridiculous villain crops up suddenly out of nowhere. Truly awesomely and mindbogglingly pathetic. A must-avoid film!

Overall 1/10

A prime example of when potential is not even used...

Author: Cruiz Dwyer (sinncross@gmail.com) from South Africa
4 July 2008

Love Story 2050 centres around two opposites falling in love. On the one hand there is Karan (Harmen Baweja) who is very energetic and lives life on the edge. And on the other hand, there is Sana (Priyanka Chopra) who is a self-assured, yet rule-orientated individual. After an unlikely accident, Karan's only hope for saving Sana rests in the use of a time machine.

The story is one of many problems this film has. It's difficult to tell whether it was the complexity of a sci-fi film that got to the script writers, or their own idiocy, but Love Story 2050 does not even attempt to tell a viable story, let alone a love story. For the most part, the futuristic setting of the film, its major draw, does not even come into play until the interval has subsided. The story borrows heavily from various Hollywood films, most notably Time Machine, Back to the Future and Terminator, and there is very little which is unique. It also moves as a fairly slow pace, and the silly attempts at humour always fall short, and does not help the film's pacing. If director Harry Baweja had only tried to make a more serious film, it would have been less frivolous but most importantly, a better film.

But regardless of whether the story is taking place in the present or future, it is entirely predictable and illogical at times. One such example being when Karan is trying to catch-up with Sana, who is in a bus, and Karan comes to a stage where he jumps up onto an above crossing bridge, only to jump off it a second later. What is so vastly comical about all of this is that he is trying desperately to get to the bus, but instead of merely running through the facility he was in, he decided to take a few seconds from running to do some climbing and jumping. The musical segments do not fare any better, and are fairly weak. From terrible dance movements to poor music, except for perhaps Chopra's concert number in the future, the music never helps to aid the film from feeling as if it is being dragged along to its conclusion, which itself is quite bad.

The acting is sadly low-key. While Copra does seem suited for her characters, she is still quite offbeat from the whole affair never bringing any convincing characteristics to her character. However, it is Baweja that truly disappoints. As the lead, his acting is not particularly good and neither was his line delivery. Perhaps this can actually be credited to the poor dialogue and even poorer characters. Where Sana and Zeisha comes across as strong-willed females, they inevitably fall for Karan to the point where their lives need his existence for them to even be able to talk. And Karan is such a pathetic excuse for a man that I was really hoping he'd be killed before the interval, but alas he was not, and his overly sensitive and exaggerated need for love finds its way throughout the entire film: basically, there was no characterization whatsoever. There is no need in discussing the other actors as they are all average at best. In fact, the represented characters are utterly annoying. The teddy robot Boo, was a badly implemented distraction from the film, and Sana's younger siblings, Rahul and Thea, were unnecessary to the overall plot, while Dr. Yatinder (Boman Irani) as far too silly to even be considered as a credible scientist.

The usual sex appeal of a commercial film is present, and remains thus so. Violence is minimal and arguable so terribly choreographed that you really could not call it violence. However the language department did contain a few blasphemous terms, and a surprising number of scatological terms, though it was in moderation.

If there is any positive to the film, it would be in the CG department. While special effects are never great by any means, Mumbai in the future is rendered quite beautifully, but more so during the night than during the day. But even the CG is not fully realized as it comes across as something out of a video game instead of a high-budget film production.

I will admit that Bollywood films are not exactly my cup of tea, but I have enjoyed, to some degree, all of which I have seen, especially loving the recent Sakar Raj. But Love Story 2050 is such a mismatch, that it's impossible to even understand how the film ended up so badly. The acting is not good, though sympathy must be given to both Chopra and Baweja because they didn't have a decent script to work with, and the production design was clearly not well thought through. Love Story 2050 has so much potential to be a worthy attempt at standing toe-to-toe with Hollywood, but doesn't even begin to scratch at this potential. Instead of the futuristic sci-fi flick which was supposed to hit cinemas, what has shown its place is a Bollywood film that will have even Indians embarrassed, and that is saying a lot.

Terrible remake of Hollywood flick "Time Machine"

Author: the_aryankapoor from India
8 July 2008

I thought that this movie would be great, as I respect Mr. Baweja, but unfortunately he chose wrong story and director for the film, which completely ruined his reputation of great film producer, this film has nothing to offer; it is an insane remake of Hollywood flick "Time Machine" which was a flop film. Harman Baweja (Hero of this film) has done well job, but it could have been better if he didn't copy Hritik Roshan's acting and dancing style, because Hritik is still alive and well established actor, Harman should be unique and make his own mark by his own style, Priyanka is not hot in Bollywood as she was previously, in the whole film is pathetic, vfx of the film can't save this film to sink because Hollywood is flooding movies with superb vfx but still content in some of them is missing, neither music can help to rescue this film, it is a disgraceful awful movie, police should use this film to torture criminals, other than that it is a great embarrassment, go and spend money on bear but not on this film because after watching this film you would be needing medical attention...

How unoriginal!

Author: virindra from Netherlands
2 November 2008

When I saw the cover of this movie I thought; "Finally Hritik Roshan made a new movie!" But it wasn't Hritik who played in this movie, it was Harman Baweja. It is not a compliment that I thought Harman was Hritik. Don't get me wrong, I love Hritik a lot, but I don't like people who try to steal the image of an other actor. Now there are several things I didn't like about Harman: - He is not a man, he is just a boy. He acts very stupid. He talks weird, he tries to copy Hritik too much. - I did not understand why this boy made it in the Bollywood industry. Then I saw the name of the director; Harry Baweja. That explained a lot.

I'm glad I bought this movie just for 1 euro 50. This movie is very poor. This was the first time ever I saw that a movie got a bad review on the back side of the DVD cover!

Everything about this movie is crap; - The movie itself looks like "Back to the future", "Time machine" and "The fifth element". Nothing about the special effects and story was original or new. - When Karan meets Sana for the first time, he sees that a fake butterfly lands on Sana's hand. Who believes that! Then the same butterfly lands on Karan's hand. Yeah right. - Karan sees Sana in a bus and he runs after the bus. He jumps onto a bridge, walks over the bridge and then jumps of the bridge. What a moron! He could have walked under the bridge to be faster, but no, that would be too easy. - Sana gets a hand-doll called winkydings. Isn't she a little bit too old for such a childish toy? - Sana dies, bus accident. Karan wants to get his love of his life back. His uncle has a time machine. Yes, Karan does not go back to the future, no, he goes into the future to find Sana. Then you really must be a moron. - Karan goes into the future with his uncle Yatin. This uncle looks like the professor of Back to the future. Fake hair, fake mustache. When they get into the future, this uncle can explain a lot of the future things. That's weird, how does he know? Everything is new for him too! - When Karan sees Zeisha, he thinks she is a reincarnation of Sana. Why would he want to fall in love with the reincarnation of Sana, when he could go back into the past to save his Sana for a bus-accident? No, he lets Sana die and goes for a future look-alike. - The fight scenes were horrible and very fake. There are no emotions on the face of Harman. - In the future there is a scary man with a helmet on his face. No-one knows who he really is. It would have been very great if this man would have been Karan's future him. But no, that was a disappointment.

What a bad movie. What a bad actor (Harman Baweja). I have no respect for someone who copies someone elses image. What a bad actress ( Priyanka). She is a beautiful woman, but that's it. Good as a model, bad as a actress.

Harman impresses but the film doesn't.

Author: bobbysing from India
6 August 2008

Huge expectations and a big launch of a talented star Harman Baweja was all in the air before the film hit the screen. And the other exciting feature of the movie was its theme of Time Travel into the future. These were the thoughts in the mind of every viewer before seeing the movie. But after watching it the viewer feels dejected with some sad feelings for the hard working debutant Harman.

No doubt the movie is Grand and well made technically but it lacks gravely on the script level as the viewer never seems to be into the narration at any moment. The excitement of watching a Time Travel movie drops drastically as nothing happens in the first hour and we are just watching a love story of a boy trying to win over a girl.

The other sad part of the movie is that intentionally or unintentionally Harman is quite similar in looks with Hrithik Roshan and that's a drawback for him. He impresses with his dance and acts well but exactly in the same manner of Hrithik. So in future he will have to work out a different identity of his own putting more efforts towards the same. Priyanka looks good and sports him in his debut venture. Boman Irani becomes too excited in some scenes but Archna Puran Singh manages to entertain in her few scenes.

Special Effects are good but the future interpretation is not so impressive with excessive use of robots, flying elements and computrised interiors. Mention of Hypnotism in 2050 is also quite innovative of the script writer. While watching the future you never seem to be excited enough which takes away the spirit of watching a so called science fiction. In fact the 2050 factor has only been used to add a USP to the film and it has not been worked upon well.

Director Harry Baweja had a good idea but the execution lacked in many departments. I wish he had taken more inspiration from the Hollywood movies on similar theme. Musically Anu Malik has surely added new stock to his sound library but has come up with only few melodious tunes.

Inspirations to the movie include "Back To the Future" series & "Time Machine". The sequence of Priyanka dying in an accident is highly inspired. In the English version the hero goes back in the past to change the happenings and tries to save his girlfriend. But each time he goes back she dies in a different manner. That part of the plot is more interesting than going into the future and winning over the girl again. If you surely want to enjoy the Time Machine rides then you must watch the three movie series of "Back To The Future".

In all the movie which is a launch pad for Harman Baweja could have been much better with all the backing of a huge budget. But Harman surely makes his presence felt in the industry.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]