IMDb > All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane

Author: Raj Doctor from Amsterdam, Netherlands
3 June 2008

I saw the trailers of this movie and found the cinematography and what was presented interesting. I saw the IMDb rating and 6.8 confirmed it to be an above average movie. Thus went to see it.

The story is about Mandy Lane (Amber Heard) – a beautiful girl in high school who is a subject of male sexual desire. Mandy's friend Emmet's (Michael Welch) provocation to another fellow student to show his love for Mandy, leaves the fellow student drunk and jump down to death. Nine months pass and Mandy is invited for a summer weekend to a secluded ranch by her teenager friends – three girls and three boys go there! There is a security guard Garth (Anson Mount) who works at the ranch. During the first night itself the killings take place – one by one the members of the group are killed. Who is behind the killings? I wont tell here to spoil sports… Did I like the movie? NO. After usual interesting opening – the movie takes a downward turn with every unfolding of event. By half-time when the killer is revealed, one looses all interest in the remaining proceedings. There is a last twist in the tale to shock viewers, but rather it made me shake the head in dis-belief and laugh! All this for suspense? Huh…! Amber Heard acts and plays her role well as a shy and conscious girl – who is aware of her beauty and men's desire for her. The remaining cast are usual – nothing to say about. There are so many movies made of teenager boys and girls going to a secluded place and slowly someone killing them one by one – that it does not interest me anymore.

Director Jonathan Levine tries hard to make the movie interesting by using contemporary chat talks of teenagers, loaded with sexual overtones, but does not allow the movie to rise above the mundane.

The only and the most appealing saving grace of the movie is its cinematography by Darren Genet – who captures beautiful picture perfect images! (Stars 3 out of 10)

All the boys love Mandy Lane. But why?

Author: andrabem from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
20 September 2008

Before renting "All the boys love Mandy Lane", I saw its trailer in the YouTube to check it out. Good cameras, interesting story and there were some good reviews in IMDb. Well, maybe I was in for a surprise. You never know. So I took the risk and rented the film. But in the first moments of the film, I noticed that this one was not different at all - it was just another brick in the wall.

To begin with, apart from the differences of sex and looks there's nothing to really differentiate the characters in this film. Other films are able to provide simple characters (even if one-dimensional ones) with whom we can identify with. This film gives us a very superficial glimpse of the characters, their relationships, conflicts.. What we see in "All the boys love Mandy Lane" is just a bunch of stereotyped American teenagers like we've seen so many times before.

And how is Mandy Lane? Mandy Lane, as portrayed by Amber Heard, is just your typical high school girl. There are many girls like her - in any high school there are dozens of Mandy Lanes. Amber Heard has nothing really distinctive about her. She's pretty, that's all. Then, why do all the boys love Mandy Lane? This is a film, that's why.

That said, let's go to the film. As you well know, all the guys are mad about Mandy Lane. The boys (with the help of the girls) prepare a party. Mandy Lane is invited to this party. The party is to take place in an isolated ranch. No one had succeeded till now in scoring Mandy. The objective of this party is to ease things out. A girl in the group wants to make it with a guy, there are rivalries, frustrations, and last but not least, there's someone that loves Mandy so much that he/she is ready to kill for her. But make no mistake, anyone will guess from the beginning who the killer is, but prepare yourself for a wild twist that will put everything upside down.

If the script had managed to give us flesh and body characters and describe in more detail the relationship among the characters (their emotions, their conflicts...), this film could have been a memorable slasher teen flick. Had the film been done in the right way, there would be in it a growing sense of fear, of encirclement. Conflicts, fights, suspicion, and death advancing on and on.. outside just the empty fields... but the film is unable to build up the suspense.

"All the boys love Mandy Lane" is just a passable entertainment and nothing more. If you want to see a film with more substance try "High Tension" (Haute Tension), a very good french slasher flick.

Oh Mandy, well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
28 March 2009

Mandy Lane has bloomed and become one of the prettiest girls in high school. So pretty, in fact, that some of the guys will try anything to get with her (as shown in the pleasingly nasty first 5 minutes or so). Not JUST pretty though, she goes and tops things off by being a very nice and thoughtful girl too. She seems to be a perfect package. So the three main lads in this movie know their main aim when they invite Mandy (and two other girls . . . . back ups?) to Red's ranch. Three boys, three girls, the party is all set to be a great one. Oh, there's also one gun-toting ranch hand to protect the area and someone who seems intent on despatching the revellers one at a time.

While this isn't the most original slasher movie I have ever seen it does manage to feel fresher than most thanks to the above-average acting from most of the people involves and the motivation behind the killing. Amber Heard is fantastic in a lead role that isn't easy, she has to convincingly play someone that can entrance boys and yet still get on with everyone equally and have no air of superiority about her. The guys are all suitably love-struck and competitive for her affections while the other girls are alternately friendly and bitchy in a way that girls can be when vying for male attention. Anson Mount is also very good as Garth, the ranch-hand determined to protect the teens and yet exasperated by their partying and intoxicated behaviour.

While there are one or two nasty moments, the movie is a rather tame affair. There IS blood flowing but it's pretty diluted and things could have been a lot worse for the victims this time around. Many people may think that's a bonus but, while I agree that blood is not essential for a great horror movie, I felt that it gave the appearance of director Levine holding back at the last minute.

Overall, a good blend of sunny teen movie and twisted slasher flick.

See this if you like: Babysitter Wanted, Cherry Falls, Amber Heard.

Worst Slasher In Years

Author: grandmastergdogg from United States
27 February 2008

Looking at these reviews and seeing all these high ratings leave me to believe that large amounts of red corn syrup will please just about any brain dead idiot. This movie is beyond useless. All the cliché's of a slasher film without any substance. I am sure I could go in to details about the movie but why bother when you can sum it up? Obviously everyone wants Mandy Lane and she apparently wants none of the guys. Throughout the movie you will see this.

When she stops being friends to the typical boy trapped in friend-zone loser, he goes ballistic and when she goes on a road trip to the middle of no where (of course) he begins to hunt them one by one. Sounds decent so far right? But what made this movie suck beyond belief is when you find out that not only is her loser friend the killer but she is as well.. The plan was beyond ridiculous. Lets together kill all our friends and then kill each other. They give no reason why they wanted to do this and given Mandy Lane's "Goody Too Shoes" demeanor it makes you scratch your head even more as to what is actually motivating these characters to do anything they are doing. It's sad.. this movie had lots of potential but the director or writer apparently can't relate to the audience in anyway.

A Nutshell Review: All The Boys Love Mandy Lane

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
25 September 2008

All the boys love Mandy Lane, and the way she is portrayed by Amber Heard, who wouldn't? She's blonde, she's demure, she's so hot that the camera in the movie's introduction to the character, lingered on her T&As. She's a fine athlete though we don't really get to know what kind of graaes she's getting. Every boy in school wants to talk to her, and every one of them wants to get into her pants, earning bragging rights to be the first amongst everyone else to have conquered probably the last bastion of virginity in school. People would do silly things like dying for her too.

In typical slasher flick formula, a group of students, Mandy included, organized themselves for a getaway in a secluded ranch, where a ranch hand Garth (Anson Mount) provides that element of question as to who amongst the group will be the hunter, and who will fall as prey. Like how the formula warns against decadent teenage lifestyles, such as the unwritten rules of having the non-virgin being dispatched first and the likes, you're constantly kept guessing as everyone in the group, save for our goody-two-shoes Mandy, get sloshed in a flood of sin, with the smoking of weed, snorting of coke, being highly sexually charged and active, and downing alcohol as if it was water.

It does take quite a while for the first person to fall, and you probably won't feel much for the characters that had to kick the bucket in the most violent of deaths, which get shown quite graphically, only to pull back at the last minute through visual tricks and edits the filmmakers use. But for slasher flick fans, it's a long ride to get to this stage, and frankly speaking given that the characters all don't appeal to you (i.e. you couldn't care less if they live or die), the movie does seem to coast along the tried and tested, until its last act.

Surprisingly, the narrative decided to reveal its boogeyman quite early on in the film, which provided some perplexing questions. Again for those familiar with the genre, there'll always be a thought niggling in your mind in disbelief that the plot would be so straight forward. Granted as mentioned, the payload comes at the finale, which I thought had two meanings, depending on which concept you subscribe to. First, following reality that the most perverse amongst us tend to be the one most disconnected, and second, punishment coming from someone who doesn't see eye to eye on immoral lifestyles, and want to put a deadly stop to it.

I did see the revelation coming, but for the longest time had decided not to believe my gut feeling in the hopes that it would develop into something that will genuinely blow my mind. It's not perfect, but it did have its moments with the following of recent trends in the slasher genre that bad guys don't have to necessarily finish last. Nothing fanciful here, but it still worked to a certain degree. And kudos to both the casting director in putting Amber Heard in the titular role, and for the actress to pull off one of the more memorable lead characters in such a genre flick.

Shockingly awful

Author: Steve Stephenson from United Kingdom
5 September 2010

I expected a decent horror movie, the slasher sort of type. What I got was a piece of garbage, an awful attempt at making a movie. To start off with, Mandy Lane is the only "good looking" female in the whole movie. The rest are poor, especially Whitney Able playing Chloe.

The acting is poor. When Edwin Hodge (Bird) is speaking to Mandy Lane as they have to walk to the ranch, it just feels so silly and fake it's unbelievable.

When Emmet shoots Marlin in the face with the shotgun in the barn, we clearly see her head blown off for a moment. Later on she is sat there and her mouth is merely bleeding! Now that's a goof isn't it! The word 'boring' seems to follow us throughout the whole movie. The parts where the group are all getting high on drugs in the ranch... I can understand they are supposed to be portrayed as high, but seriously that's about 30 min. of the movie wasted.

Also, some sort of explanation as to why Mandy in the end turns out to be Emmet's partner and kills Chloe would be nice, because from their conversation all we can do is guess that they are mentally unstable.

Awful, awful movie.

A real surprise to the slasher genre

Author: dschmeding from Germany
24 June 2008

Wow, I didn't expect much from this movie considering that its story sounded pretty mediocre. But it didn't take long to realize that "All the boys love Mandy Lane" is far from the typical Slasher Movie and that is because its in all ways superior done... biggest plus is the stunning visuals and cinematography that captures you in a strange dreamlike feeling throughout the movie and is well supported by the use of music which is kind of cynical and used very little but effective. Seeing that this is the first feature film production of Producer Levine I have to lift my thumbs way up for this one! So what do you get... Mandy Lane is a beautiful but rather distanced girl and most boys in her school are after her. After a friend of her dares another guy who is after her to impress Mandy by jumping from a roof ending in a serious accident Mandy distances from him and gives in to join a couple of cool guys and girls on a weekend stay at a land house. You pretty much know whats coming when you got a bunch of teenagers in a house far from other people, so soon the first ones start to disappear. What makes this movie work is the in-depth depiction of the characters, most having their issues behind the mask they wear at high school. A big part of the movie seems to look into a rather bleak and cynical youth, making it seem like a modern high school version of "Stand by me" on acid that heavily mixes with Slashers like "Scream". If you are in for some serious slashing you don't get much but there is some scenes that are incredibly harsh not so much for the blood but rather for the cynical editing and use of stop-frames and music. After all you are in for 1-2 twists in the end and to me the movie leaves a lot to your own interpretation. But all this makes it enjoyable and different. Definitely give this movie a try because it would be a shame if it got lost in the masses of redundant slasher movies... if you got a little bored with the genre like me "All the boys love Mandy Lane" is a real gem.

Why do they kill? Why??

Author: twilight-zone-1 from Germany
11 July 2008

That's the big question. I mean this is not the same kind of why, why Michael Myers is killing or the Hitcher-Highwaykiller. I think the end of the film doesn't make sense. Also the fact that they want to kill themselves or at least Emmet. Why they didn't plan to play the badly wounded who survived it, like in the end of "Scream" which is anyway copied. And what's the motive of Mandy Lane at all? Emmet does everything what Mandy wants from him, but why does she do all that? There seems to be no reason to take revenge for something or anything else? Only that they go on her nerves that they all want her? That's too airy. Maybe the friends of the guy who crashed at the edge on the swimming pool gave him from then a hard time. But there's nothing to see about that in the movie. And even though it wouldn't make sense, because why should Mandy help Emmet to take revenge when she's not giving' a damn about him?

The reasons why i'm giving it not less than 5 points is that the film has a nice photography, an acceptable soundtrack, a promising start and the direction is a little better than the usual teen horror movies. It's a bit more realistic slasher and two or three elements are interesting.

But considering that it became so much so good criticisms this is NOT such a great or innovative slasher movie. No, it isn't!

almost perfect slasher film

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
9 May 2016

While it is all well and good to do "clever" films like Cabin in the Woods that de-construct the genre, the real challenge is to the film right from the getgo.

Here I think the very talented director Jonathan Levine succeeds. Possibly the best slasher flick in decades.

Aside from a really tight script, and direction/cinematography on par with a Hollywood "A" flick, we also have generally top-rate performances from the young cast.

Of particular interest is Anson Mount, five years before Hell on Wheels, stealing every scene that is not otherwise nailed down.

Years ago a reviewer said that the test of a good slasher film is whether, in spite of the body count, the viewer would want to be in the film because everyone seems to be having a good time time.

This film passes that test.

I struggled with this ... but ending is OK

Author: sonicred007 from United Kingdom
19 September 2010

I struggled for most of this film; the archetypes were cliché ridden empty vessels. If Mandy uses her beauty to attract attention that's a hell of a long game and a pointless objective. Why was being an orphan relevant to this script? why was being beautiful such a distraction for a whole school? why was the dowdy aunt even in this film? why did the edgy male in the gang show us he could fire a gun at a clay pigeon? why do whippets and drugs have a five minute high in this film? why do I care about any of the characters? Too much of this film is subjective; some shots are excellent and stylised but the content leaves a lot to be desired; some of the gore is well done; in the q & a on the DVD the lead actress talks about awkwardness in Mandy Lane's character as she took her clothes off to join the group in a lake - I saw a classic playboy disrobe shot of a pretty girl. So much potential was overlooked in the script from a very good premise.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]