IMDb > Jumper (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jumper

Jumper More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 50: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Somewhat fun, somewhat irritating

Author: Pascal Zinken (LazySod) from Maastricht, The Netherlands
7 March 2008

A somewhat timid guy protects a girlfriend of his at school and finds himself on thin ice somewhat later. As he falls through it and is in danger of dying under the ice his story seems to be a rather short one. But, that would make the film a rather short one too. So, in some obscure way, the guy teleports from under the ice to a place where he has been spending time in the past - a library. Unable to understand what happened he goes "under the radar" and tries to find out what did happen and how it did.

As a precondition to a film this isn't a bad one. You need to start somewhere, might as well start here. The next condition of the film is that there is someone that isn't happy with these special abilities. Not entirely unbelievable - who wouldn't want to be able to jump around the entire globe in a blink of an eye? Quite naturally some of the people that are unable to do it are a bit jealous. Jealous enough to kill even.

So far the film meets these two conditions and works. But why oh why does it let itself derail so enormously badly by pulling in a religious angle? That angle doesn't belong in there, feels out of touch and isn't backed by anything except the few times it is mentioned. There's quite a few angles that would have worked a lot better. This is for me a big negative strike to this film that would otherwise have been a rather good one.

6 out of 10 irritations

Jumped too much

Author: spelingchampeon from United States
10 April 2010

I really liked the premise of the movie, at first. The idea took off well, but then 'jumping' was overplayed. The holes in the plot became more evident, so they tried to cover them up with yet even more 'jumping'. If I had paid to see this movie in the theater, it may have been a little more enjoyable, with surround sound and all, but on its own, I lost interest due to so many inconsistencies.

The actors did a credible job, but this is one movie that Samuel L. Jackson could not rescue (and I'm a huge SLJ fan), it was that bad. This movie is nothing more than a good thing overused to the point of bogging it down. I would not recommend this movie unless you flat out love anything sci-fi, or are into wasting your time.

Jumpled Up Mess

Author: Medacakathareal from Reading, PA
14 July 2008

This film is a hectically strewn together collection of seemingly unrelated scenes, apparently I've heard from other people that there was a plot but I didn't see one as I watched.

The movie attempts to be a lot of things, a coming of age story, a cautionary tale of sorts, a romance, and even a super-hero film but it fails on every level. Hayden Skywalker and his on screen love interest have no chemistry (even less than he had with Natalie Portman in Star Wars if that's possible)...

The film starts out by establishing our characters, a teenage geek who gets made fun of by all his peers except his life-long friend and crush Millie. David, our main character, finds out he can teleport while narrating unnecessarily A LOT. Then suddenly David switches actors and becomes Hayden Christensen, who looks nothing like the kid they got to play his younger self (completely different facial structure, etc)... Not only does he change actors but so does his love interest Millie, and again the new actress doesn't look like her... Oh, how it confounds me...

So David teleports around, robbing banks and having fun, until Samuel L. Jackson (made to look like Dennis Rodman, remember him) shows up. Jackson is apparently a "paladin" though very little about them is established. What little we know comes from the lips of David's side-kick person, Griffin, who speaks in gibberish at almost all times in the film... paladins hunt down the jumpers...

Apparently teleportation is the only power in the world...

A ton of flashy incoherent chase scenes and teleportations later David wins out over Dennis Rodman and returns to his semi-normal life as a teleporting freak... The movie is incoherent, badly acted by almost all, and is remarkably forgettable...

Badly Sown Jumper

Author: GazTruman from United Kingdom
11 July 2008

I had high hopes for the film jumper and was very very disappointed. The storyline was awful, it was basically a cops and robbers superhero film, with no actual story.

The only reason this film didn't get 1/10 is because of rachel bilson, and it did show the colosseum in a lot of its glory.

The love story between the two characters was pretty poor, i think the director didn't know whether to make this a romantic film, an action film, or a superhero movie, none of which it did well.

To some up jumper it was basically one group of people trying to stop another group of people from just teleporting around the world... why? Im still not really sure?! As for Samual L Jackson, I've seen him in so many really poor movies lately, this and 1408 have both been shockers for jackson...what is he playing at! Don't waste your time on this film.

Bad Acting or bad directing?

Author: shammuk from Philadelphia, PA
17 June 2008

oh my god i didn't realize how bad Hayden Christensen is until he acted in this film... is he just a bad actor or does the director really suck.. yah sure this film has some cool effects... and i think the story had a lot of potential... but throughout the whole movie i didn't feel a thing... there was no emotion from the main character... he responded to everything with a straight face.... the female lead was pretty good and SLJ was SLJ.. always fun to watch... either the director needs to do a better job communicating with the actors or Hayden Christensen needs to find himself a new job.. cuz he cant act for realz........

A stupid man's movie about an intellectual subject.- If you are dumb you will like it.

Author: dilbertsuperman from Baghdad
31 May 2008

The science is this movie is simply non-existent. The list of inconsistencies with what they claim is happening- simply doesn't follow physics at all- the most egregious errors being when a man is falling though the air at 32 feet per second- he still has that momentum if he is moved in space, that energy is not lost- he would go SPLAT. WEAK ass script writing by idiots, for idiots.

The idea is interesting- a guy that can teleport/"jump" around the world- but the development of the script has the imagination of a burned out high school crackwhore.

There's nothing smart or clever or impressive going on here- it's just a bunch of semi coherent plots that lack any authenticity.

Nice idea: spoilt by bad acting and an unbelievably bad script

Author: ian_hodgson from United Kingdom
15 March 2008

The ability to transport oneself across great distances is of course every school child's dream. And that's really for whom this film is best suited; its perfect for a group of 12-year olds wanting 2 hours of distraction and reasonably tolerable fun.

But for the rest of us, desiring of consistent plot lines and a little acting, this film failed on both counts. With numerous clumsy references to much better films (including the Bourne Series); and acting leads more wooden than Ikea, avoid this film unless you have free access to a cinema and have ABSOLUTELY nothing else to do; or need to see an example of a poor film for your film studies class.

Typical Hollywood Insult to Science Fiction

Author: scottwallvashon from United States
8 March 2008

Jumper is a typical Hollywood insult to science fiction. Twentieth Century-Fox spent millions on special effects, but the script seemed to be written by an adolescent on the morning it was due in composition class. I almost walked out of the theater, but I wanted to see the whole thing so that I could earnestly warn other movie goers.

Hayden Christensen had far too many Kim Basinger style lip moments for my tastes. I kept getting the feeling he was auditioning for some ultra-sensitive date movie instead of playing the part he was given.

As I was traveling home from the theater, I spent my time trying to imagine all the much more compelling things I might have done with the same premise. This was astonishingly easy to do. To avoid spoilers, I will say only this: I would have made the presumed heroes more creative and more sympathetic; I would have made the presumed villains far more cunning. Honestly, I came away convinced that the villains were acting appropriately—albeit with inexplicable recklessness.

Jump For Your Life

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
25 February 2008

Jumper is the story of young Max Thierot who grows up to be Hayden Christiansen and discovers he's got powers of teleportation. Sad to say he also discovers there are some nasty people out there who are led by Samuel L. Jackson and want to kill him.

There was the British science fiction series that did run for a time on American television called The Tomorrow People. What they did was something they called Jaunting when they teleported themselves all over the world. Apparently though the producers of that series never saw the possibilities of what could be done.

Take young Mr. Thierot who's a picked on kid back in Ann Arbor, Michigan and when he discovers his powers he leaves a drunken and abusive father and moves to New York. His first thing is to rob a bank and create limitless wealth and a life of pleasure.

Eventually though Samuel L. Jackson who works for the National Security Agency finds him and spends the rest of the film trying to kill the young man who is Hayden Christiansen now. His group are called Paladins and they have a more sinister relationship to the Jumpers than say the Watchers have to the Immortals on the Highlander. Jackson has also developed some sophisticated technology to deal with Christiansen and fellow Jumpers.

Diane Lane is in this film also as Christiansen's mother. Her part is small, but important and to tell any more would reveal too much.

This film was definitely one round the world tour with shooting everywhere from the Valley of Kings in Egypt to Ann Arbor, Michigan. The cast is young and appealing, the special effects good and there's also a nice performance by Jamie Bell as a fellow Jumper.

great effects, shaky plot

Author: yayafenella3990 from United States
24 February 2008

Jumper has its strong points: The special effects are very well done, the idea is pretty cool, and the acting is fairly solid, but overall it just doesn't follow through. The predictable storyline depends heavily on action sequences to move forward. Sure watching the characters teleport around the world is great, but even that gets stale after a while. The characters themselves are very one dimensional: David has just discovered the dangers of being a jumper, Griffin is trying to set things right(and get revenge), and Millie is the clueless damsel in distress. Haven't we seen this before? occasional hints are given about their backgrounds, but so little information is given that instead of wondering what will happen next, you're left either frustrated or uninterested. Although this movie is obviously the first in a series, not much progress is made in terms of character arc. OK, maybe I'm over-analyzing all of this, but from the previews I was hoping Jumper would have a little more depth than just the average action movie.