IMDb > Jumper (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jumper

Jumper More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 49: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Wooly jumper

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
26 October 2010

Could have titled my summary "loud jumper" too, given the pounding sound affects (not to mention modern rock-oriented soundtrack music constantly playing in the background) to this sci-fi adventure, which very much seems to be aiming its sights at a similar, possibly slightly younger audience than the successful "Matrix" prototype.

Being a sci-fi fan, especially of the time and space travel type tale, I willingly allowed myself to regress some 35 years or so and try to engage with the youthful protagonist at the heart of the action. Thus I actually I enjoyed the first half an hour or so of the film best with geeky Hayden Christiansen giving it his best Peter Parker / Clark Kent bit, getting pushed to one side by his muscle-headed rival for his would-be girlfriend's attention and seemingly coming a cropper on thin ice in a seemingly fatal accident caused indirectly by afore-mentioned bozo competition. Is he dead...well we're only ten minutes or so into the film so draw your own conclusion. Most kids would get off on the idea of teleporting everywhere but the narrative, for me, hits the skids with the emergence of its sub-plot of a group of inter-galactic avengers called Paladins, hunting down Christiansen and his type down the centuries. Their head honcho is an obviously cash-strapped Samuel L Jackson with one of his more out-there looks yet, a cropped albino haircut while the story also takes in for no other reason I can think of than the Transatlantic take, an uneasy alliance with another "jumper", a rebellious young Londoner, played in modern-day "Artful Dodger" style by Jamie Bell.

There's a sub Darth Vader twist at the conclusion too, involving Christiansen's long lost Paladin mother and certainly plenty room for a sequel (which I see from IMDb notes is currently in production). In the end I was reasonably entertained and I suppose the effects were well staged but on the whole I found it just too derivative of some and more besides of the antecedents mentioned above for the film to stamp its own identity on my psyche.

Rip-off

Author: annacronism-581-568564 from United States
14 January 2013

This movie is actually pretty good, but it is sort of a 'rip-off' or copying, of an idea which was much better done, in the Alfred Bester novella: "The Stars, My Destination". Bester's protagonist, Gulliver 'Gully' Foile, a 'jaunter, (jumper)in a world where the 'jaunt'(jump) was a common-place practice, would have made Christiansen's character cringe with fear. The story was deliberately, and successfully modeled on "The Count of Monte Cristo", and is such an adventure ride, that this story can't even compare. If only the producers had gotten permission to make a movie from Bester's story, then the movie would have been really great. Still, not a bad effort, and the SFX were outstanding. Over-all, 5 stars out of ten.

This movie just jump the shark

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
17 October 2012

Jumper sounds like a good idea, but it's was execute so badly. It's was suicidal, like jumping off a bridge. It could have been better. Directed by Doug Liman, the director of Swingers and the Bourne Identity. It stars Hayden Christensen and Samuel L. Jackson… in reverse roles from their previous film 'Star Wars', with Hayden playing the supposedly good guy and Sam as the bad guy. Hayden Christensen is the jumper (the teleporting man) who can jump into any place he touch or see… and Samuel Jackson is trying to stop him. That pretty much sum up the plot. Hayden Christensen is semi-talented, and he seems to be trying to give these realistic, struggling young male performances in all his films, but to be honest, it could have been salvaged if it at least had a decent main character. He spent of the movie using his powers for wrong reasons. Robbing banks and stealing stuff. Nothing likable about the main character, he wasn't a hero...he didn't save people, he was just some selfish guy. Yes—this is the hero, people. Hayden spent every fight scene tied up and unable to do anything, his acting didn't help either. Samuel Jackson's character is a bit better. Samuel Jackson's character belong to a religious group call the Paladins, whom motivation is that all jumpers will go evil. I'm sure he said that line in the film. I think he's clearly right seeing how Hayden used his powers just for himself. Jumpers use their powers to commit crimes. They start off small, like Hayden Christensen's character, who robbed a bank in the beginning of the film, and eventually move up to more crimes more heinous. Why on earth, does a Jumper need to steal a car? But I agree, saying "only God should have the power to be everywhere" was a bad description of an Jumpers ability. But to me, it made Samuel's character sound insane. How ironic that the only way those religious fanatics could defend their beliefs was by using technology and science to get rid of the jumpers by the way? Samuel's character also sport horrible white hair as if all that electricity use to get jumpers over the years burn his hair. Supporting cast is Jamie Bell as the loose cannon best friend Griffin who hunts Paladins is even better than the main character and should have been starting this movie. And then there's the really hot Rachel Bilson who plays the love interest. Mostly she just stands around wearing tight outfits, looking doe-eyed, and occasionally shows us her underwear. Sadly she doesn't get much character development. Last Diane Lane as Hayden's mother who really doesn't need to be talk much…she only appear when the plot is needed. Without giving out too much about the movie, I do want to say. The book that the movie was based off (of the same name) that lacked the entire Paladins part. It was about the boy, his relationships with his mother and father, his trying to fit into normal society where he WAS the only jumper. The book is a million times better than the movie. The only similarities are jumping, and the names (not personality) of the characters. I do like how the story has so much back history and mythology injected into it that it was obvious the director was trying to create another movie franchise. It's a bit of a risk. If the franchise doesn't take off you end up with a story that's weighed down with all lots of useless mythological references and terminology and that's what happen. The ending left us with a cliffhanger… that probably never get finished due to the movie, having mix results at the box office. If they do make Reflex (The second book of Jumper) , please make it better than this first film.

And once again people expect too much...

Author: xyz72 from Germany
28 December 2011

"Jumper" is a popcorn action flick. And for that purpose it is quite good. Now I went to IMDb to look at some opinions AFTER watching it and was surprised to see how negative most reviews are. It seems to me many people expected some huge blockbuster with a great, thought out story, compelling characters and stunning cinematography. You will not get that from "Jumper".

However, there is no reason to believe you will. The film is quite clearly meant to be simple entertainment, something to watch while killing time when you just want to be entertained and it did that job for me. I like the premise and it was build into an OK story with mostly quite decent acting. There were low-points and far too many clichés(the whole first 10 minutes were one, as was the whole love relationship but the film entertained me for 90 minutes and I don't regret watching it, it was fun. I don't think I will ever watch it again, but it was surely not bad cinema compared to other, similar films.

It's like X-Men, but without the X-Men

Author: ZekeRage911 from United States
11 February 2011

LOOK!!! See, Hayden Christiansen can act!! Not particularly well and not overtly, but damnit, he CAN act!! So WHY OH WHY DIDN'T HE IN THE INFAMOUS PREQUELS?!?

Anyway, all this aside, Jumper is... well, kind of lame. There are these people born all over the world who randomly have the power to teleport anywhere they want. There are a group of bad guys led by a silver-haired (but always awesome) Samuel L. Jackson. They capture and kill these people.

That's really about it. Oh, the twist is pretty predictable.

Let's see... what else? The special effects are pretty decent. Yeah, I remember those were okay.

All in all, this movie is okay. It's not exactly an award-winning, set-the-standard for superhero movies kind of thing, but it could be so much worse. It could be Attack of the Clones or something.

This Movie Was Blah

Author: Dr Sky Tower from New Zealand
19 July 2008

I do like the special effects in this movie. They're not too bad. Very entertaining to watch, but that's all that's good about this flick.

Hayden Christiensen (ohnoes!) When I discovered he was the soul given the epic task of wielding this "film" upon his scrawny shoulders I thought "Anakin Skywalker" and had instant misgivings. But I decided to give this movie a chance and hired it on DVD.

Mr Christiensen... I'm really sorry to say this. But your acting sucks.

I'm not sure what the director and writers were telling us. Did they want the audience to connect with this self prick of a character, and root for his every exploit? He uses his powers merely to further his own gain. I'm not even sure if the message this movie was putting across is "If I really did have powers like this, would I even bother using it for good? Nah, I jus' wanna hav fun!"

So many things don't make sense. Why are the people hunting these Jumpers normal like you and me? They can't teleport. Instead they use ridiculous gadgets to catch and do in the Jumpers. I kept expecting to see Mr Jackson teleport and kick Mr Christiensen's arse... but he doesn't! Instead, he's a normal guy kicking ass-hat on a guy who can teleport.

Apparently, being a Jumper makes you invincible, just like the Highlanders in Highlander. You can be electrocuted by thousands of volts of electricity and still survive. And like Highlander, there's been a war going on between these norms called Paladins and Jumpers since medieval times. Also, it appears that the kids born to Paladins have this teleporting ability... or I could be wrong, and Jumper kids just randomly appear in the general populace. Are only male children born with teleporting abilities? Does anyone really care?

Blah. It's fairly cliché these questions will be answered in the ghodawful sequel lurking on the horizon.

This movie was totally dull, with empty characters whose motives were unknown and whose purpose was meaningless. It even lagged in the entertainment department. It's just a disappointing, lacklustre flick which could've had so much more potential.

Too many unanswered questions.

Author: HollistrStud1922 from United States
13 March 2008

This was not a bad film, but it also wasn't a good film. It's entertaining, yes, but thats about it. If loose ends would have been tied up, this may have been a decent and overall enjoyable film. If the director had been standing outside taking questions, he would have been busy for a while. Why did Haydens character have the ability to jump? How did he get it? Why does it end as though there will be a sequel? Why does Millie go off to Rome with David the same day they re-unite, ten years later? TOO many unanswered questions for a film of this genre. Its visually pleasing, and the film takes you to places some people only dream of. What was the point in Diane Lane's character as Haydens mother? WHY WHY WHY. For an adventurous action-flick, it was mediocre. I give this film 6/10 and suggest waiting for a dollar rental.

Somewhat fun, somewhat irritating

Author: Pascal Zinken (LazySod) from Maastricht, The Netherlands
7 March 2008

A somewhat timid guy protects a girlfriend of his at school and finds himself on thin ice somewhat later. As he falls through it and is in danger of dying under the ice his story seems to be a rather short one. But, that would make the film a rather short one too. So, in some obscure way, the guy teleports from under the ice to a place where he has been spending time in the past - a library. Unable to understand what happened he goes "under the radar" and tries to find out what did happen and how it did.

As a precondition to a film this isn't a bad one. You need to start somewhere, might as well start here. The next condition of the film is that there is someone that isn't happy with these special abilities. Not entirely unbelievable - who wouldn't want to be able to jump around the entire globe in a blink of an eye? Quite naturally some of the people that are unable to do it are a bit jealous. Jealous enough to kill even.

So far the film meets these two conditions and works. But why oh why does it let itself derail so enormously badly by pulling in a religious angle? That angle doesn't belong in there, feels out of touch and isn't backed by anything except the few times it is mentioned. There's quite a few angles that would have worked a lot better. This is for me a big negative strike to this film that would otherwise have been a rather good one.

6 out of 10 irritations

Jumped too much

Author: spelingchampeon from United States
10 April 2010

I really liked the premise of the movie, at first. The idea took off well, but then 'jumping' was overplayed. The holes in the plot became more evident, so they tried to cover them up with yet even more 'jumping'. If I had paid to see this movie in the theater, it may have been a little more enjoyable, with surround sound and all, but on its own, I lost interest due to so many inconsistencies.

The actors did a credible job, but this is one movie that Samuel L. Jackson could not rescue (and I'm a huge SLJ fan), it was that bad. This movie is nothing more than a good thing overused to the point of bogging it down. I would not recommend this movie unless you flat out love anything sci-fi, or are into wasting your time.

Jumpled Up Mess

Author: Medacakathareal from Reading, PA
14 July 2008

This film is a hectically strewn together collection of seemingly unrelated scenes, apparently I've heard from other people that there was a plot but I didn't see one as I watched.

The movie attempts to be a lot of things, a coming of age story, a cautionary tale of sorts, a romance, and even a super-hero film but it fails on every level. Hayden Skywalker and his on screen love interest have no chemistry (even less than he had with Natalie Portman in Star Wars if that's possible)...

The film starts out by establishing our characters, a teenage geek who gets made fun of by all his peers except his life-long friend and crush Millie. David, our main character, finds out he can teleport while narrating unnecessarily A LOT. Then suddenly David switches actors and becomes Hayden Christensen, who looks nothing like the kid they got to play his younger self (completely different facial structure, etc)... Not only does he change actors but so does his love interest Millie, and again the new actress doesn't look like her... Oh, how it confounds me...

So David teleports around, robbing banks and having fun, until Samuel L. Jackson (made to look like Dennis Rodman, remember him) shows up. Jackson is apparently a "paladin" though very little about them is established. What little we know comes from the lips of David's side-kick person, Griffin, who speaks in gibberish at almost all times in the film... paladins hunt down the jumpers...

Apparently teleportation is the only power in the world...

A ton of flashy incoherent chase scenes and teleportations later David wins out over Dennis Rodman and returns to his semi-normal life as a teleporting freak... The movie is incoherent, badly acted by almost all, and is remarkably forgettable...