IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]
Index 135 matching reviews (250 reviews in total)

Its movies like this that make me miss Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Author: Jack Doyle from Portsmouth, Britain
13 February 2008

I like zombie movies, i do and most are bad but guilty pleasure all the same. This movie however is one of the worst movies i have ever seen it is bad for a zombie it is bad for any movie, i'd rather watch godfather 3 than watch this, hell i'd rather watch Santa Claus Vs the Martians. You are undoubtedly think it can't be that bad but you'd be wrong. Where to begin, well this movie bears not relation to the plot of Day of the Dead and seems like a poor cash in by the copyright holder of that on the success of the Dawn of the Dead remake, (also starring Ving Rhames but more of that later). The plot actually feels like it was lifted from the Res Evil games meshing elements of 1 2 and 3 the military quarantine a town, virus runs amok, secret experiments etc. This might fill you with hope, if it does your'll be sorely disappointed. So whats wrong with the film, well the acting is bad even for a zombie movie, the script can only of been written by a child or a group of the higher primates (and if its the latter then i guess that would deserve some respect), and the camera-work and editing is so bad at points its hard to tell whats happening. The cardboard characters consists of three marines (how they became marines is beyond me) of Mena Suvari as Jill valentine, coming back to her hometown after leaving (apparently its complicated but never explains why), a Ghetto Stereotype, and newbie aka zombie bait aka bub (the only reference to the original), an evil government doctor who habitually lies for no apparent reason (like claim not to have a car) and is evil (to emphasis this a nurse begs for help by his car in the zombie infested parking lot, but he just pushes to some waiting zombies for some reason?) plus some towns folk like Mena's brother and his girlfriend or something. At this point you might be wondering why i haven't mention Ving Rhames character, Black Authority figure, thats because it really was only a cameo no doubt in a effort to link this to the Dawn of the Dead remake he appeared in, when the best character in a zombie movie dies 5 minutes in to the actually zombie attack you got start questioning the film. So after what is a pretty terrible build up, (apparently stoners can hang out at abandon missile silos housing secret military labs, who knew?)At the hospital you half expect Hugh Laurie to gait by on his cane as the film liberal steals, ahem homages from House with a scene apparently show the activation of the virus. Most of the special effects are sub par not bad enough to make you laugh just poor, and i expect this was because they wasted most of the SFX budget on the House cgi. So the zombies aren't zombies not really coming somewhere between the comedy zombies of night of the living dead and the those of 28 days later, but what they most remind you of is deadites and its at this point you realise this movie could of been awesome, if they had cast Bruce Campbell and rather than stealing the plot of Res Evil stole the plot of Fistful of Broomsticks but alas this is not to be. The Zombies have superpowers (like crawling on ceilings) are smart (they can hide bodies in cupboards, pretend to be a corpse, understand directions given over a radio) and in the case of one zombie dodge bullets like Neo (honestly though he is apparently the zombie messiah since scientists are know for the physical prowess) oh and they fall in love (zombie love story i wonder if the zombie virus can be sexually transmitted?). Thats right Bub the newbie moron soldier, get bitten and smitten, and apparently doesn't attack people because he was a vegetarian in life. However Bub does reckon the best part of this movie Mena Suvari arse, thats it the sole good point of this movie is her Arse, for the ladies there's nothing unless your into black stereotypes, women or rotting corpses (in which case you got a whole other set of problems). This movie is like a parody without the comedy, the only way this could be redeemed is by a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 commentary or if they re-cut it to star Bruce Campbell.

In conclusion if you like Mena Suvari rent American Pie or Beauty, if you like Zombies rent the original.

Garbage!!!

Author: tbprlang-1 from Canada
20 January 2009

This is probably the worst Zombie flick ever made and its creators need to literally be SHOT!

Zombies that crawl on ceiling tiles, zombies that make stupid blurbling sounds and crappy sloppy makeup effects combined with really bad computer animation, stupid humor, bad acting and lousy wanna be Dawn of the Dead remake(which was excellent) editing. This movie is the lousiest horror movie I have ever seen and does an injustice to the genre itself while insulting the audience in the process.

For Zombie films this is Blasphemy! For it to be a remake of the Romero masterpiece is unforgivable.......in fact I pulled it out of the DVD and chucked it across the room 3/4 of the way through, rental or not!

day of the crap

Author: srsmith73 from United Kingdom
19 December 2008

Thought we would give this film the benefit of the doubt. wrong wrong wrong. utter pants movie. wasted a couple of hours of our life watching this rot... isn't there some kind of height requirement for the army? i'm sure mena suvari wouldn't meet it.It's like allowing Jeanette Krankie join the police force(no offence Jeanette 'Fan Dabby Dozee'). please don't waste your time watching this. I'm writing this comment as i've given up watching the film. The special effects are really bad.To be honest the special effects in Michael Jackson's Thriller were better. And since when did zombies have the ability to climb walls??? If you want to see better movies watch the first 2 remakes or even better, watch 28 days and 28 weeks Later.

"I put bleach on it"

Author: Kiwibob (brentonmcintosh@hotmail.com) from Auckland, New Zealand
23 August 2008

I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them.

Dead rising and shuffling around hungry for human flesh? OK! Dead able to run like Flo-Jo after said human flesh? I guess.

Dead crawling across the ceiling after same said human flesh? OH HELL NO!

Day of the Dead tries to explain the situation away as a virus that causes the dead to attack people... but somehow this virus is timed so an ENTIRE FRIGGING TOWN turns into zombies at exactly the same time!

And people that looked pretty much normal mere seconds ago now look like they have been rotting in the ground for weeks.... man that's some virus!

Oh yeah... as insult to injury they threw vegetarian zombies into the mix! AVOID THIS MOVIE!

This movie is a joke

Author: Jamie Hockey from United Kingdom
26 July 2008

This really is a joke, a complete and total insult to the original Day of the Dead movie. Now i thought a re-make was supposed to stick at least partially to the original story line and just tweak it to make it better.

This movie had NOTHING in common with the original movie except the leading ladies name. And Ninja zombies that can crawl along the ceilings and stagger across the floor at 30 MPH+

I'm not sure who wrote the story line for this remake but if it was Gorgeo what have you done? Taken a time-less zombie film classic and made it into an abomination.... Only thing the film it was made with is good for is burning.

Awful Awful Awful

Author: sjanjic from Australia
13 July 2008

Frist I never post on IMDb first time, but I had to for this.

Plain and simple awful movie for a so many reasons... but I'll just name a few.

- Awful acting - Awful storyline - Awful characters - Awful one-liners - Awful ending ... I can keep on going.

What the ...... were they thinking when they made this flick, it's 2008 and you would think that they would have learned from previous zombie movie disasters. The thing that gets me is that they obviously had the money, it wasn't a low budget movie as far as special effects go etc... but the movie itself is just ugh.

I got to like 80% and couldn't watch anymore... if I only knew or listened to other IMDb members I wouldn't have wasted an hour or so of my life watching this.

The only thing that this movie had going for it is GI-Jane is pretty cute -- that's it.

Do yourself a favor AVOID IT.

Bloody Shame...

Author: Syed Ali Faheem Naqvi (naqvifaheem@hotmail.com) from Pakistan
20 June 2008

This movie should not be made at all... despite of box office failure Romero original was great movie.. the opening scene with dead in silent town.. 3 amazing kills... I have never feel such surreal in my whole life after watching day of dead (85) but this remake is S!@#T See dead bodies running make no sense.. it was kool in Dawn of Dead Remake because that director was amazing guy.. he build strong momentum in those zombie chase sequences...

Steve Miner somehow was busy in trying more and more than making one solid movie... It was more like Resident Evil original game movie than day of the dead... but still the opening in Resident Evil game is much much better than this movie...

Why Ving rhame accepted Rhodes..???

Don't waste your time

Author: Richard Burdon from United Kingdom
4 April 2008

Let me get this out of the way straight away, I love Romero's zombie movies. There I said it. Now, this movie. This is supposed to be a remake of Romero's 1985 classic, REALLY! It in no way resembles the original. In a nutshell this is an absolute steaming pile of rubbish. Don't waste your time. Watch Romero's original instead. This movie was so bad I can't even remember half of it. I thought the remake of Dawn of the Dead was bad, but that was quite simply a masterpiece next to this effort. The only resemblance to the original is that both movies have soldiers in them. What would a remake of Land of the Dead contain I wonder, a truck. As I said, don't waste your time on this, watch the originals instead, you've been warned.

Why a whole day when 10 minutes is too much?

Author: Roger Southgate from United Kingdom
9 July 2009

Whilst a generation of sandal-wearing anti-disciplinarians have instilled into our consciousness the notion that there are no stupid questions, I like most rational people am of the school of thought that dictates quite the opposite; and not only that, but a stupid question must warrant a frank and scornful reply if we are to avoid such occurrences in future. The same can be said about bad movies warranting reviews of a similarly disdainful nature to save people like myself the time it takes to sit through one of these filmic abortions. Of course such tirades wouldn't exist without fuel from Hollywood's worst (a true shame for the deeply cynical among us); but these idiots need to know that you simply can't partly digest a known classic, regurgitate it along with a lot of bland methodology, mould it into something close to its original form, slap a name on it that the viewing public will respect and recognise, and have a box-office smash on your hands as a result. And yet this frankly pale imitation of a movie, let alone George A. Romero's seminal 'Day of the Dead', is absolutely the type of profiteering amateurism that could well give a cinephile a stomach ulcer. It really is difficult for me to decide what I liked least about this "remake" of 'Day of the Dead'. The list of failings is after all rather lengthy. The most noticeable failing of course (and the purpose for the quotation marks) is that this bore almost no likeness to the original in any way, except of course for Stark Sands embarrassing monkey impersonation as 'Bud', the zombie with a heart of a gold. This incidentally comes nowhere close to the understated brilliance of Howard Sherman's delivery of 'Bub', the fully actualised representation of the link between the living and the undead in the original. I came very close to naming Nick Cannon's overconfident portrayal of the painfully clichéd Black bad-ass who knows all too well "what we be talking' 'bout" as the biggest blight on this picture; however I would then have to ignore the terrible sound that often detracted from the impact of the action; the shoddy direction and amateur camera-work which often left me feeling confused about what was happening on screen; the hints at back stories that led nowhere; and the incredibly lazy and pedestrian dialogue which did nothing to reflect the wit and tension of Romero's, instead seemingly replacing it as a means to do nothing more than move the story onwards towards its excruciatingly inevitable conclusion. Let us not forget however the rather unnecessary attempt to rewrite undead mythology which will jab at the purist within us all. At times I was left feeling like I could have been watching something as equally foreign to the genre as 'Predator' or 'Ghosts of Mars' as veritable super-zombies planned attacks on our hapless heroes with military precision, even working together to achieve a common goal, and snatching a certain member of the cast from above like 'Alien'. Of course whilst the drama school dropouts seem to be flailing both in-front of and behind camera, let us not overestimate a veteran of stage and screen such as Ian McNeice. His frankly awful accent, which seems to shift back and forth across the Atlantic, is only dwarfed by his incomparable size. Ironically his ability to pile on the pounds is the only quality he seems to possess which would convincingly allow him to play your average American. Even Ving Rhames however, who was needless to say a welcome sight very early in proceedings, was heavily underutilised and killed off far too soon, even despite the important role that Joe Pilato's 'Captain Rhodes' played in the original story. Frankly I hope that Mr. Rhames' early demise was most likely a card he himself played to keep his time in production to an absolute minimum for very obvious reasons. I'm afraid to say that whilst the failings were many and numerous, ultimately what won for me was how some talentless nobody who has directed a couple of crappy teen dramas, and some hack that has done nothing but write scripts of the same calibre, can be left to play around with the usage rights to a classic horror picture like 'Day of the Dead'. From start to finish this was a chronicle of screw ups on every level, and yet what infuriates me is that it still hit the shelves because the unwitting public won't know how much it sucked until after they've already bought the DVD. What has clearly worked against the suits here however is the invitation we were all given to tear this thing apart the minute they tried to cash-in by associating this picture with Romero. It seems that where Zack Synder's 'Dawn of the Dead' will be hailed as a true labour of love from a fan of the series, this will do nothing but remind us that 99 times out of 100 a remake will leave a bad taste in our mouths that even human flesh would go a long way to quell.

worst zombie film ever seen

Author: edwardtom9 from Australia
22 February 2009

This is possibly the worst horror / zombie film I've ever seen, there are so many parts that make my eyes roll for example...

A vegetarian zombie that falls in love, sped up footage, horrible Computer generated head explosions and be-headings, gun shop to stock up on unlimited amounts of ammo, zombies can climb on walls like spiders and many more.

the film was actually decent before the zombies appeared. Ultimately this film was very disappointing, i pretty much love all zombie films with the exception of this and the 28 days/weeks later films.

1/10 stars