IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]
Index 136 matching reviews (250 reviews in total)

Avoid this abomination

Author: jbrown-152 from United States
3 August 2008

OK, how the heck did this even manage to make it to DVD? For anyone reading this who hasn't seen the movie yet, don't waste your money. It's a worthless piece of crap that defiles the reputation of the movie it's supposedly a remake of and the incredible director of that movie. First off, I don't care what anyone says about the cast, they suck. Even Ving Rhames' acting sucked, and he was probably the only high-budget actor they had in the film. Nick Cannon butchered the movie with unnecessary profanity, dimwit humor, and a scene in which he grabs two pump-action shotguns with the purpose of dual-wielding them in combat. The zombies were doing things that is not even possible by humans(such as crawling along a ceiling). The so called special effects were on par with movies released by the sci-fi channel(and that is not saying much). And the ending looks like it was taken from some foreign car advertisement(the characters driving a vehicle in the background and a zombie jumps up out of nowhere, trying to shock the viewers.) The whole plot of the movie seems like it was ripped from the script of Resident Evil and combined with a "few" elements of 28 Days Later. In reality, I have just one question for the producers: What the hell were you thinking when you made this abomination? The only reason I gave this horrible excuse of a movie a 1 rating is because "0" wasn't an option. Pass this one up people, it will only give you a headache later.

What did I just watch?

Author: zeehond23 from Netherlands
13 February 2008

Words just cant really describe how bad this movie really is. So far I've seen zombies that use the ceiling to get in front of someone like an martial arts expert, zombies that walk on the wall like Spiderman. I've seen zombies that HIDE a body in the closet, and when the police arrives (after the body's have been found)lay in between them as to fool the police. I've seen purple blood. A zombie who's sad about being tied up in a car, and not going totally berserk, but just sad. The reason why? He's a vegetarian. Since when do zombies DODGE bullets? Or climb a ladder? Or leap like frog on amphetamine? Or flap their arms like a monkey on crack? I'm not saying that a zombie movie is very believable, but this was just over the top. The SFX in this film is not just bad, it's pathetic! Looks like the SFX from the Xena series or Hercules. At one point it looked like the blood was just painted on the frame. I was expecting so much more from this, seeing as the 2004 dawn of the dead was, imho, very good. Even if you think of it as a stand-alone, it's just sad beyond words. Still, you have to see this just to believe how a film with the magical title Day Of The Dead could suck so hard.

Its movies like this that make me miss Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Author: Jack Doyle from Portsmouth, Britain
13 February 2008

I like zombie movies, i do and most are bad but guilty pleasure all the same. This movie however is one of the worst movies i have ever seen it is bad for a zombie it is bad for any movie, i'd rather watch godfather 3 than watch this, hell i'd rather watch Santa Claus Vs the Martians. You are undoubtedly think it can't be that bad but you'd be wrong. Where to begin, well this movie bears not relation to the plot of Day of the Dead and seems like a poor cash in by the copyright holder of that on the success of the Dawn of the Dead remake, (also starring Ving Rhames but more of that later). The plot actually feels like it was lifted from the Res Evil games meshing elements of 1 2 and 3 the military quarantine a town, virus runs amok, secret experiments etc. This might fill you with hope, if it does your'll be sorely disappointed. So whats wrong with the film, well the acting is bad even for a zombie movie, the script can only of been written by a child or a group of the higher primates (and if its the latter then i guess that would deserve some respect), and the camera-work and editing is so bad at points its hard to tell whats happening. The cardboard characters consists of three marines (how they became marines is beyond me) of Mena Suvari as Jill valentine, coming back to her hometown after leaving (apparently its complicated but never explains why), a Ghetto Stereotype, and newbie aka zombie bait aka bub (the only reference to the original), an evil government doctor who habitually lies for no apparent reason (like claim not to have a car) and is evil (to emphasis this a nurse begs for help by his car in the zombie infested parking lot, but he just pushes to some waiting zombies for some reason?) plus some towns folk like Mena's brother and his girlfriend or something. At this point you might be wondering why i haven't mention Ving Rhames character, Black Authority figure, thats because it really was only a cameo no doubt in a effort to link this to the Dawn of the Dead remake he appeared in, when the best character in a zombie movie dies 5 minutes in to the actually zombie attack you got start questioning the film. So after what is a pretty terrible build up, (apparently stoners can hang out at abandon missile silos housing secret military labs, who knew?)At the hospital you half expect Hugh Laurie to gait by on his cane as the film liberal steals, ahem homages from House with a scene apparently show the activation of the virus. Most of the special effects are sub par not bad enough to make you laugh just poor, and i expect this was because they wasted most of the SFX budget on the House cgi. So the zombies aren't zombies not really coming somewhere between the comedy zombies of night of the living dead and the those of 28 days later, but what they most remind you of is deadites and its at this point you realise this movie could of been awesome, if they had cast Bruce Campbell and rather than stealing the plot of Res Evil stole the plot of Fistful of Broomsticks but alas this is not to be. The Zombies have superpowers (like crawling on ceilings) are smart (they can hide bodies in cupboards, pretend to be a corpse, understand directions given over a radio) and in the case of one zombie dodge bullets like Neo (honestly though he is apparently the zombie messiah since scientists are know for the physical prowess) oh and they fall in love (zombie love story i wonder if the zombie virus can be sexually transmitted?). Thats right Bub the newbie moron soldier, get bitten and smitten, and apparently doesn't attack people because he was a vegetarian in life. However Bub does reckon the best part of this movie Mena Suvari arse, thats it the sole good point of this movie is her Arse, for the ladies there's nothing unless your into black stereotypes, women or rotting corpses (in which case you got a whole other set of problems). This movie is like a parody without the comedy, the only way this could be redeemed is by a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 commentary or if they re-cut it to star Bruce Campbell.

In conclusion if you like Mena Suvari rent American Pie or Beauty, if you like Zombies rent the original.

Garbage!!!

Author: tbprlang-1 from Canada
20 January 2009

This is probably the worst Zombie flick ever made and its creators need to literally be SHOT!

Zombies that crawl on ceiling tiles, zombies that make stupid blurbling sounds and crappy sloppy makeup effects combined with really bad computer animation, stupid humor, bad acting and lousy wanna be Dawn of the Dead remake(which was excellent) editing. This movie is the lousiest horror movie I have ever seen and does an injustice to the genre itself while insulting the audience in the process.

For Zombie films this is Blasphemy! For it to be a remake of the Romero masterpiece is unforgivable.......in fact I pulled it out of the DVD and chucked it across the room 3/4 of the way through, rental or not!

day of the crap

Author: srsmith73 from United Kingdom
19 December 2008

Thought we would give this film the benefit of the doubt. wrong wrong wrong. utter pants movie. wasted a couple of hours of our life watching this rot... isn't there some kind of height requirement for the army? i'm sure mena suvari wouldn't meet it.It's like allowing Jeanette Krankie join the police force(no offence Jeanette 'Fan Dabby Dozee'). please don't waste your time watching this. I'm writing this comment as i've given up watching the film. The special effects are really bad.To be honest the special effects in Michael Jackson's Thriller were better. And since when did zombies have the ability to climb walls??? If you want to see better movies watch the first 2 remakes or even better, watch 28 days and 28 weeks Later.

"I put bleach on it"

Author: Kiwibob (brentonmcintosh@hotmail.com) from Auckland, New Zealand
23 August 2008

I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them.

Dead rising and shuffling around hungry for human flesh? OK! Dead able to run like Flo-Jo after said human flesh? I guess.

Dead crawling across the ceiling after same said human flesh? OH HELL NO!

Day of the Dead tries to explain the situation away as a virus that causes the dead to attack people... but somehow this virus is timed so an ENTIRE FRIGGING TOWN turns into zombies at exactly the same time!

And people that looked pretty much normal mere seconds ago now look like they have been rotting in the ground for weeks.... man that's some virus!

Oh yeah... as insult to injury they threw vegetarian zombies into the mix! AVOID THIS MOVIE!

This movie is a joke

Author: Jamie Hockey from United Kingdom
26 July 2008

This really is a joke, a complete and total insult to the original Day of the Dead movie. Now i thought a re-make was supposed to stick at least partially to the original story line and just tweak it to make it better.

This movie had NOTHING in common with the original movie except the leading ladies name. And Ninja zombies that can crawl along the ceilings and stagger across the floor at 30 MPH+

I'm not sure who wrote the story line for this remake but if it was Gorgeo what have you done? Taken a time-less zombie film classic and made it into an abomination.... Only thing the film it was made with is good for is burning.

Awful Awful Awful

Author: sjanjic from Australia
13 July 2008

Frist I never post on IMDb first time, but I had to for this.

Plain and simple awful movie for a so many reasons... but I'll just name a few.

- Awful acting - Awful storyline - Awful characters - Awful one-liners - Awful ending ... I can keep on going.

What the ...... were they thinking when they made this flick, it's 2008 and you would think that they would have learned from previous zombie movie disasters. The thing that gets me is that they obviously had the money, it wasn't a low budget movie as far as special effects go etc... but the movie itself is just ugh.

I got to like 80% and couldn't watch anymore... if I only knew or listened to other IMDb members I wouldn't have wasted an hour or so of my life watching this.

The only thing that this movie had going for it is GI-Jane is pretty cute -- that's it.

Do yourself a favor AVOID IT.

Bloody Shame...

Author: Syed Ali Faheem Naqvi (naqvifaheem@hotmail.com) from Pakistan
20 June 2008

This movie should not be made at all... despite of box office failure Romero original was great movie.. the opening scene with dead in silent town.. 3 amazing kills... I have never feel such surreal in my whole life after watching day of dead (85) but this remake is S!@#T See dead bodies running make no sense.. it was kool in Dawn of Dead Remake because that director was amazing guy.. he build strong momentum in those zombie chase sequences...

Steve Miner somehow was busy in trying more and more than making one solid movie... It was more like Resident Evil original game movie than day of the dead... but still the opening in Resident Evil game is much much better than this movie...

Why Ving rhame accepted Rhodes..???

Don't waste your time

Author: Richard Burdon from United Kingdom
4 April 2008

Let me get this out of the way straight away, I love Romero's zombie movies. There I said it. Now, this movie. This is supposed to be a remake of Romero's 1985 classic, REALLY! It in no way resembles the original. In a nutshell this is an absolute steaming pile of rubbish. Don't waste your time. Watch Romero's original instead. This movie was so bad I can't even remember half of it. I thought the remake of Dawn of the Dead was bad, but that was quite simply a masterpiece next to this effort. The only resemblance to the original is that both movies have soldiers in them. What would a remake of Land of the Dead contain I wonder, a truck. As I said, don't waste your time on this, watch the originals instead, you've been warned.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]