IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]
Index 136 matching reviews (249 reviews in total)

don't wast your time.

Author: TwiceLifeTobey from United States
1 April 2008

There's nothing to watch on this thing. I got a copy of it at Texas Frightmare a couple months ago, and man it stinks. Is it a remake of the original? If so it is the worst remake ever. first off they try to explain it as a viral infection and then it goes into an underground base. STUPID.

and whats going on with the wall crawling zombie?!?!!! (yelling cause IMDb won't allow me to caps) spider zombie?!?!!! dumbest thing ever and i hate it. i hate this movie. it stinks. my dog carl and i were playing catch and i pretended it was a stick and threw it. he wouldn't fetch the DVD.

Honestly, A Very Bad Movie

Author: kenmyersproject from United States
20 March 2008

I truly enjoyed the George Romero zombie flicks and am very disappointed when some rookie director comes up with a 'remake' of one of the master's titles. A rookie in the sense of trying to capture the dark, gritty, viciousness of the zombie epidemic as envisioned by Romero in his earlier films. Steve Miner has directed episodes of Dawson's Creek, (which explains some of this film's truly boring dialog and Ken and Barbie type characters)and Smallville (which has effectively turned Superman into a soap opera).What Miner has done here is show us that he can capture all of the plot lines, and zombie behavior previously shown in a dozen zombie flicks, put Mena Suvari (of American Beauty) in the lead and make a horrible horror movie.

While this film might appeal to young folks who don't understand the art as developed by Romero, those who do will undoubtedly turn away from this one after the first half hour. It only takes that long to get an idea of the poor characters. Suvari plays an army Corporal (who carries a gun with no bullets. Why even pull it out?) Ving Rhames has a small part, perhaps wise enough to not stick around. Suvari's character is remarkably calm in the face of danger despite her seemingly bad decision making. The rest of the cast are like refugees from a Dawson's Creek episode.

The zombies seem to do extraordinary things one moment (like crawl on ceilings and run real fast), but when it comes to attacking the lead actors they seem inept.

Suvari's character wants to keep a colleague-turned-zombie around amongst the fleeing survivors. Why? She barely knew the guy.

This picture doesn't do any justice to the zombie film genre. it ranks down there with the very low budget. The title was used to possibly draw attention to it's existence, nothing more.

I feel nauseous

Author: nocteau from United States
14 February 2008

I Just watched Day of the Dead 2008...

I want to go on record and say I love Zombies. I love them, I watch all zombie movies that come out even if I KNOW they're going to suck.

Avoid this movie like the plague! It's worse than horrible. All of the gore was CGI, the only thing worse than the acting was the directing although the dialog was a close 2nd, the characters failed to reach even 2-Dimensional, and THE ZOMBIES WERE CRAWLING ON THE ROOFS!! Why were the zombies crawling on the roofs? Would someone PLEASE tell me that? They stole the name of a really great zombie flick and replaced it with 87 minutes worth of people taking steaming dumps on Romero's idea.

This is the worst zombie movie I've ever seen in my entire life.

this is an insult to many horror fans!

Author: redeyenight from Ireland
11 February 2008

super human undead! this film high jacks the title from a classic and completely fails at every level.its a joke of a film, does nobody get what Romero's doing with his films? slow building inevitable doom, cabin fever, insanity, lawlessness, greed, panic, power, racism, loneliness, sadness and human error are all missing from the remake . the zombies help to instill these feelings but their not essential in these flicks, assault on precinct 13, mad max and omega man are nearer to day of the dead than the remake is! it fails super badly at everything! avoid at all cost! I'm looking forward to diary of the dead 1. just hope Romero puts a stop to these high jacking time waister's!

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Author: johnd-78 from United Kingdom
12 February 2008

In the case of this movie, re-making Day of the Dead means stealing the title and some character names.

Its truly awful. There plot is non existent, the acting poor and the characters inconsistent. The zombies look quite good, but are more like rabid humans. This is one of those zombie movies that changes the characteristics of the zombies to suite the scenes. Mostly its just rabid, insane 28 days later type movements. Oh but they can sometimes walk on walls and ceilings (how? why?). Oh and listen to radios and understand what is being said. The Bub character is ridiculously used in the plot. One of the soldiers is infected, turns into a zombie, but they decide to keep him around and drive around with him in the car, because he might be useful. Thats right, they pile into the back seats and he is sat in the middle of them. Zombies throwing themselves at the car, everyone screaming, but the one I am sat next to? No problem! The final scenes are just ridiculous and I felt that at this point they had run out of ideas so they made it up as they went along. One line summed the whole movie up for me. They discovered that one of the scientists who worked on the project that started the virus has now become a zombie and is in the complex they are in. A colleague of his says 'If what you said about them retaining some of what they were is true, then we are so f*cked'.

Bottom of the barrel

Author: TheMarwood from United States
18 June 2014

Steve Miner has never been a great director, but even his lousiest work is basically competent. This version of Day of the Dead is incompetent and looks like it killed his big screen directing career. The $18 million budget must have gone to someone's pocket, because not a penny of it is on screen. Calling this straight to video quality would be wrong, it's syfy channel TV movie quality. Was funding pulled during production? Was Miner fired? There has to be some explanation for the shoddy work on display. The acting is almost entirely terrible. Mena Suvari does her best to maintain her dignity and AnnaLynne McCord proves to have none. Besides McCord's rear, there's nothing of value in this stinker. Avoid.

Dreadful, silly and a dash retarded

Author: philipop from Denmark
17 October 2009

Despite sharing its title with Romero's 1985 cult film "Day of the Dead" this movie has no connection with the old classic. As quite a fan of anything post-apocalyptic and favorably zombie-infested, I decided to give it a go anyway.

In sum everything seems to have gone awry with this movie. The script is full of gaping plot-holes, and if this is not insulting in itself, add poor acting to an emotionally implausible script (e.g. after watching his zombie-mother be splattered by a Humvee one character remains in a rather jolly mood), and painfully cliché stereotypes (the token "gangster" black guy wielding a makeshift bone saw-taped-to-a-broom scythe with ninja-like precision) defying the laws of physics.

My personal favorite is the wall-scaling spider zombies, which move about with superhuman speed... ofc except when attempting a go at our protagonists. Oh yeah, and then there is the gun firing zombies, and the empathic zombie, who happens to be so forcefully in love with the protagonist that he overcomes his zombie-hood, and collaborates with the band of survivors - lets not give too much thought to the point that they've met each other approximately half a day prior to zombie-transformation.

In so many words: this movie is thoroughly retarded

Really?

Author: danielsholt from United States
18 April 2008

All I can say is, "Really?" People, please quit turning Romero's work into this crap. The Dawn of the Dead movie was done well, it was a decent budget, decent conversion of the script, decent acting, and was pretty entertaining. The main thing about it; besides budget, script, and actors, was that the most engrossing and thrilling part of Romero's work; the feeling of survival in isolated, outnumbered, globally terrifying situations. People enjoy watching a movie about survival in this element, you constantly wonder what you would do in the situation. Day of the Dead was not the same kind of movie at all, the original was a heck of a lot better and it was kind of lame. They used the same crummy cheap horror movie equations for this movie they use for all of the really bad, mass produced, bargain bin horror videos made for a quick buck. They are kind of an insult to anyone's intelligence, there's the cliché "young persons making out in a shack in the woods and hear something and get attacked while you only hear noises then see blood then cut scene" scenario, the "person who wanted to get away from her small town only to find out she missed it and wanted to save it" scenario, I could go on and on but it was not at all what Romero wrote about. Please, just make your cheap, crappy, cliché horror movies but leave Romero's zombies out of it, just keeping using the vengeful ghost or teenagers in a cabin for a weekend plots.

Only if you REALLY love bad zombie movies

Author: sergio-arauzo from Spain
2 September 2014

One of the worst films I have ever watched with an absurd plot full of holes. Just comparing this film with any George Romero film (even the weakest), Resident Evil, 28 Days after or any other good zombie film is offensive. This film has only one thing: The name, which is used to attract Romero fans to this very bad film. We can see zombies with very Cheap make up, I am pretty sure you can see better ones any Halloween. Action scenes are really awful and boring. The actors do not fit in their role. I like Mena Suvari in other films, but she does not fit in her role. You can enjoy some of the dumbest dialog lines of film history, and the story is full of inconsistencies in characters actions, again and again. I mean, it is not just that they are dumb, a lot of characters in horror films are dumb. It is that they are not consistent, they do one thing and the next minute they are doing the opposite for no reason. In addition, yes, they are really dumb. Trust me, there are hundreds of better ways of spending 85 minutes.

Enough to make George A Romero cry.

Author: stitch_groover from Australia
1 August 2009

Let's start with an important disclaimer - I'm pretty generous when it comes to scoring a film. I like good films and score accordingly, and I like bad films if they're entertaining enough, and score accordingly.

When it comes to the Day of the Dead remake, my scoring system goes out the window. I normally score movies by the feeling they leave me with. The films I can watch over and over (Secrets and lies, Dawn of the dead remake) I'll score highly. Films like "8mm" or "Random Hearts" that either grossed me out or sent me to sleep will score low. But with this film, I actually had to start at 0 - and add points for things I liked.

So... I gave the film 2 out of 10. Half a point just for featuring Ving Rhames, even if it was to trick people into thinking this was a real sequel to "Dawn of the dead 2004". Half a point for "Bud", the cutest zombie this side of the apocalypse, and a nice little shout out to "Bub" from the original film. I gave one whole point, believe it or not, for AnnaLynne "Drunkface" McCorde. I thought she made a cool zombie killing chick. And it's not coz she's a hot chick either, I'm one of those gay homosexuals, so that had no influence on me.

The majority of the film unfortunately was fairly ridiculous. I don't have a problem with fast moving zombies (as I said I love the Dawn remake, and the 28 Later films)... however the zombies in this film were sped up to Keystone Cops level.

I thought it was silly that the infected people instantly seemed to rot away as soon as the virus zombified them, it just didn't make sense. Also the fact they could seem to defy gravity by crawling on walls and ceilings also detracted from the enjoyment of the film.

Overall, a disappointment. With some luck, George A Romero will return as a zombie upon his death.... and dismember the people responsible for this mess.