IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead (V) More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]
Index 142 matching reviews (258 reviews in total)

Eating your own skin is more entertaining

Author: EuroSpike from Australia
22 January 2010

After watching this movie I tried to understand what went on when they were making it. If the people in charge had any passion or cared about what they were doing they wouldn't have released the movie in the state that it is in. The script and plot are such a mess and I was offended by the amount of mistakes and stupid things in the movie. Zombie climbing the ceiling? Vegetarian zombie??!! And zombies decaying instantly is stupid although not as stupid as a vegetarian zombie. What the f@!# is this was what I was thinking 30 minutes into this movie I paid $2 to rent. I felt like I had raped my DVD player after watching it. Given the choice I would rather brutally murder myself and have my mutilated body dumped in a swamp than give this any more than 1 star.

Day of the Dead??

Author: rn189307 from United States
7 December 2009

Are you kidding? Dawn of the Dead was such an entertaining flick, by no means an Oscar Winner but certainly a well thought out display of zombie gore and emotional interaction between likable and interesting characters.. Dawn of the Dead even ended well, paving the way for an intense sequel with a spoiler sneak peak of what's to come for the characters at the end of the movie. Day of the Dead is not that sequel.

Day of the Dead is almost laughably terrible. The acting is shallow and boring at best. Yes, Ving Rhames is in this, but somehow the producers managed to make Ving look amateurish and uncomfortable. Not only is Ving not the same character as he was in Dawn of the Dead but then they had the audacity to kill him off with the first thirty minutes and turn him into a pathetic, eye-eating, legless zombie.

The zombies look fake and in no way menacing. The editing is sloppy and choppy and quite frankly, by the end of the movie I was really just hoping to see all of the unintelligent main characters end up zombie feed. The only thing that saved this movie from making me really angry was the fact that I had it recorded it on DVR and I could fast forward through most of it and then have the satisfaction of hitting 'DELETE' when it was over.

Don't waste your time. Try again Steve Miner and Jeffrey Reddick.

Not A Good Day

Author: Derek Rushlow from United States
14 July 2008

This has to be one of those remakes that makes you cringe every time you think of the original while you watch it.

A mysterious virus plagues a small Colorado town, and the Army is called in to retain order and quarantine the area. What they don't know is that the virus will soon turn those who are infected into bloodthirsty zombies who, frankly, seem to have more energy than a talented gymnast.

While these zombies run, jump real high and scale ceilings to capture their victims, a small group of people band together and try to fight them off while fleeing at the same time.

A talented cast (Mena Suvari, Ving Rhames, Stark Sands, Michael Welch and Ian McNeice) is wasted, despite a few good lines. Regardless, rent the George A. Romero original.

Filmed in Bolgaria, but oddly looks like Colorado.

don't wast your time.

Author: TwiceLifeTobey from United States
1 April 2008

There's nothing to watch on this thing. I got a copy of it at Texas Frightmare a couple months ago, and man it stinks. Is it a remake of the original? If so it is the worst remake ever. first off they try to explain it as a viral infection and then it goes into an underground base. STUPID.

and whats going on with the wall crawling zombie?!?!!! (yelling cause IMDb won't allow me to caps) spider zombie?!?!!! dumbest thing ever and i hate it. i hate this movie. it stinks. my dog carl and i were playing catch and i pretended it was a stick and threw it. he wouldn't fetch the DVD.

Honestly, A Very Bad Movie

Author: kenmyersproject from United States
20 March 2008

I truly enjoyed the George Romero zombie flicks and am very disappointed when some rookie director comes up with a 'remake' of one of the master's titles. A rookie in the sense of trying to capture the dark, gritty, viciousness of the zombie epidemic as envisioned by Romero in his earlier films. Steve Miner has directed episodes of Dawson's Creek, (which explains some of this film's truly boring dialog and Ken and Barbie type characters)and Smallville (which has effectively turned Superman into a soap opera).What Miner has done here is show us that he can capture all of the plot lines, and zombie behavior previously shown in a dozen zombie flicks, put Mena Suvari (of American Beauty) in the lead and make a horrible horror movie.

While this film might appeal to young folks who don't understand the art as developed by Romero, those who do will undoubtedly turn away from this one after the first half hour. It only takes that long to get an idea of the poor characters. Suvari plays an army Corporal (who carries a gun with no bullets. Why even pull it out?) Ving Rhames has a small part, perhaps wise enough to not stick around. Suvari's character is remarkably calm in the face of danger despite her seemingly bad decision making. The rest of the cast are like refugees from a Dawson's Creek episode.

The zombies seem to do extraordinary things one moment (like crawl on ceilings and run real fast), but when it comes to attacking the lead actors they seem inept.

Suvari's character wants to keep a colleague-turned-zombie around amongst the fleeing survivors. Why? She barely knew the guy.

This picture doesn't do any justice to the zombie film genre. it ranks down there with the very low budget. The title was used to possibly draw attention to it's existence, nothing more.

this is an insult to many horror fans!

Author: redeyenight from Ireland
11 February 2008

super human undead! this film high jacks the title from a classic and completely fails at every level.its a joke of a film, does nobody get what Romero's doing with his films? slow building inevitable doom, cabin fever, insanity, lawlessness, greed, panic, power, racism, loneliness, sadness and human error are all missing from the remake . the zombies help to instill these feelings but their not essential in these flicks, assault on precinct 13, mad max and omega man are nearer to day of the dead than the remake is! it fails super badly at everything! avoid at all cost! I'm looking forward to diary of the dead 1. just hope Romero puts a stop to these high jacking time waister's!

Honestly, a rotten pile of garbage

Author: Captain-Rhodes
23 December 2013

When I heard that Day of the Dead was being remade, the mere thought sounded absurd. I mean that is one of, if not THE BEST zombie films of all time! But you never know, could be interesting, right? Like the Dawn of the Dead remake? Wrong.

This is honestly the most boringly awful "zombie" "film" (I used these two terms VERY loosely here) I have ever seen, and I watch all I can find.

Even if you try to pretend this movie has nothing in common with the original, it's still beyond atrocious. Not even remotely half-way through this movie I was craving for it to be over.

The actors who portray characters-in-name-only of the ones from the original film, are pretty mediocre. Ving Rhames' presence could have been good considering how great he was in the Dawn of the Dead remake, but even he couldn't save this mess.

The movie seemed very anti-climactic throughout with a very boring and forgettable score. Terrible CGI, terrible gore, etc.

This "movie" isn't even worth an in-depth review, because it seems they didn't even put in a decent amount of effort.

Avoid this movie like a horde of zombies. Watch the original Day of the Dead (1985) instead, as well as Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Dawn of the Dead (1978).

The Truth

Author: mrabundant from United States
20 July 2013

This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it. This movie is a complete piece of s#*%. Don't watch it.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Author: johnd-78 from United Kingdom
12 February 2008

In the case of this movie, re-making Day of the Dead means stealing the title and some character names.

Its truly awful. There plot is non existent, the acting poor and the characters inconsistent. The zombies look quite good, but are more like rabid humans. This is one of those zombie movies that changes the characteristics of the zombies to suite the scenes. Mostly its just rabid, insane 28 days later type movements. Oh but they can sometimes walk on walls and ceilings (how? why?). Oh and listen to radios and understand what is being said. The Bub character is ridiculously used in the plot. One of the soldiers is infected, turns into a zombie, but they decide to keep him around and drive around with him in the car, because he might be useful. Thats right, they pile into the back seats and he is sat in the middle of them. Zombies throwing themselves at the car, everyone screaming, but the one I am sat next to? No problem! The final scenes are just ridiculous and I felt that at this point they had run out of ideas so they made it up as they went along. One line summed the whole movie up for me. They discovered that one of the scientists who worked on the project that started the virus has now become a zombie and is in the complex they are in. A colleague of his says 'If what you said about them retaining some of what they were is true, then we are so f*cked'.

Dreadful, silly and a dash retarded

Author: philipop from Denmark
17 October 2009

Despite sharing its title with Romero's 1985 cult film "Day of the Dead" this movie has no connection with the old classic. As quite a fan of anything post-apocalyptic and favorably zombie-infested, I decided to give it a go anyway.

In sum everything seems to have gone awry with this movie. The script is full of gaping plot-holes, and if this is not insulting in itself, add poor acting to an emotionally implausible script (e.g. after watching his zombie-mother be splattered by a Humvee one character remains in a rather jolly mood), and painfully cliché stereotypes (the token "gangster" black guy wielding a makeshift bone saw-taped-to-a-broom scythe with ninja-like precision) defying the laws of physics.

My personal favorite is the wall-scaling spider zombies, which move about with superhuman speed... ofc except when attempting a go at our protagonists. Oh yeah, and then there is the gun firing zombies, and the empathic zombie, who happens to be so forcefully in love with the protagonist that he overcomes his zombie-hood, and collaborates with the band of survivors - lets not give too much thought to the point that they've met each other approximately half a day prior to zombie-transformation.

In so many words: this movie is thoroughly retarded