IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead (V) More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]
Index 142 matching reviews (259 reviews in total)

Please watch the original Day Of The Dead instead

Author: aaronrourke from Australia
24 March 2008

Wow, another George Romero remake of one of his 'Dead' films, and the bar drops another few notches. After the disappointing remake of "NIGHT" in 1990, then the terrible remake of "DAWN" a couple of years ago, we now get a truly disgraceful remake of "DAY", showing just how much film-making attitudes have changed since Romero's "DAY" debuted in 1985.

This movie has definitely been aimed at audiences where character, story, logic, and patience is a hindrance, and that colour and movement is all that matters.

Like a bad music video, this new "DAY" continually beats you over the head, thinking that over-editing and drug-induced pacing is all that is required to make a horror movie work.

Steve Miner, who has directed enjoyable genre films such as Friday THE 13TH PART 2, HOUSE, and LAKE PLACID, seems to be trying to channelling the "talent" of Michael Bay or Marcus Nispel, shaking the camera and jump-cutting like crazy. Is it a contractual obligation now to shoot a film in this fashion? The acting is awful, the dialogue worse (what do you expect from the writer of FINAL DESTINATION and TAMARA), and any layers and satire is certainly gone.

While officially a remake, "DAY" more or less takes elements from Romero's film and then attatches them to a plot that is closer to 28 WEEKS LATER and I AM LEGEND. The element involving Bud is crude and awkward to say the least, and doesn't make any sense in context with the rest of the film.

Gore is plentiful, but is practically all CGI. One longs for the complex, expertly handled on-set effects by Tom Savini, who gave us some truly eye-popping effects in the original "DAY".

The way is left open for another, so I guess we'll have to endure a remake of LAND OF THE DEAD, directed by someone as non-talented as Marcus Nispel. Can't wait. By the way, the Australian DVD release date is May 14 (through Force Entertainment).

What The Hell Is This!?!?

Author: WallyDee from Netherlands
17 February 2008

First off all I wanna begin by saying that I am a Dutch so sorry for all the misspells.

Second I wanna say that this is my first review EVER. But I just had to say something about this!!

I just paused the movie about 2 minutes ago after watching for 28 minutes and 41 seconds precisely.

Being a HUGE zombie fan I was looking forward to this movie just as bad as I am looking forward to lets say.....The Dark Knight!!! But what I just witnessed in the first half an hour is absolutely terrible. It makes it even more terrible if you compare this crap to the original Day of the dead movie, or any other George A Romero movie or remake we all know about.

I cant believe that i saw a zombie walking on the ceiling like he's freakin Spider-man. I cant believe i saw so much CGI blood that actually looked like CGI blood when a girl was attacked and electrocuted by 2 zombies. I can go on and on and on about the first half an hour but i wont because then i wouldn't be done in an hour or more.

In the original Day of the dead almost the entire movie took place in the underground bunker. I fast-forward this movie a little bit to notice that maybe the last 25 minutes of this movie take place in the underground bunker!!! What the! is that!!! I mean Day of the dead is ABOUT THE UNDERGROUND BUNKER just like Dawn of the dead is ABOUT THE MALL!! Am i right...or am i crazy??

I'm gonna try and finish the movie now but i don't think that there is anything that can save the last hour of this movie that is to come. But wish me luck.

And as for you stay away from this!!

(part 2)

Well i finished the movie and i was right about one thing there wasn't anything that could save the last hour of the movie....it actually just kept getting worse.

I was wrong about one thing do and that is that they weren't in the bunker for 25 minutes.........is was even shorter!!!!

But that wasn't the only thing that annoyed me off in the rest of the movie. Here are some examples.

1 even more spider-man zombies 2 vegetarian zombie (supposed to Bub from the original movie) 3 lots of cgi blood 4 nick cannon acting like he's Rambo 5 very very bad acting by annalyne mcCord 6 no (good) underground bunker

Again i can go on and on and on I have to say that it was a long time ago since i was THIS disappointed about a movie!

Thank you for reading...have a nice one

I feel nauseous

Author: nocteau from United States
14 February 2008

I Just watched Day of the Dead 2008...

I want to go on record and say I love Zombies. I love them, I watch all zombie movies that come out even if I KNOW they're going to suck.

Avoid this movie like the plague! It's worse than horrible. All of the gore was CGI, the only thing worse than the acting was the directing although the dialog was a close 2nd, the characters failed to reach even 2-Dimensional, and THE ZOMBIES WERE CRAWLING ON THE ROOFS!! Why were the zombies crawling on the roofs? Would someone PLEASE tell me that? They stole the name of a really great zombie flick and replaced it with 87 minutes worth of people taking steaming dumps on Romero's idea.

This is the worst zombie movie I've ever seen in my entire life.

No! Stay Away From This Film!!!

Author: geminiredblue from United States
17 September 2014

Okay, the good news: There's excellent talent in this film. The bad news: It's completely wasted! Shortly after the great 2005 remake of George Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD, along came this half-hearted attempt at remaking his sequel, DAY OF THE DEAD. "Half-hearted" might even be too strong of a word. Try "half-baked, pea-brained, sleep-inducing fiasco"! Yeah, that works much, much better. Never mind that it's got Mena Suvari, Nick Cannon, or Ving Rhames (a carry-over from the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake?) Trust me, while they are good actors, this film isn't one any of them would want listed on their resumes. Now the story, if you can call it that: Somewhere in Colorado, a mysterious flu-like virus has decimated a town... Oh please, do I really need to tell you the rest?! Blah-Blah-Blah... Zombies... Blah... Running and shrieking... Blah-Blah-Blah... Jumping implausibly high... Blah... Even climbing upside down on ceilings... Blah-Blah... Survivors trying to get out... Blah-Blah... Ving Rhames eats his own eyeball... Missile silo... Huge explosion... BOOM! THE END! Not much else to say, really. Avoid it like the plague it is. And if you think the zombie genre couldn't possibly get any lower, look out for DAY OF THE DEAD 2.

Awful!

Author: Zach Elmquist from Ridgway Pennslyvania
14 April 2013

Never had I thought that a movie could be made so poorly as Day of The Dead Is. The movie doesn't even take place in the day!? Everything about this movie is bad. The acting, the sound effects, the plot, the zombies, the special effects, everything! I had to write a review to warn people about Day of The Dead. If you think this is a remake you would be wrong. The only thing I did like about this movie was the leading lady was pleasing to the eyes. Everyone who worked on this movie should never be able to work on a movie again and I mean everyone! This movie was torture to watch cause it was so bad. I cannot stress how bad this movie is.

Oh god no.. Please no!

Author: amycaulfield from Ireland
4 September 2012

There are so many parts in this movie that I rolled my eyes to.. Where to begin? The zombies shoot, jump, climb and use mops? I mean really? I never have high expectations for zombie movies because its mainly blood and guts and I almost always like the zombies movies I watch, but this.. This was torture. The main character was annoying and all her companions were just as bad.. The script was basically non existent, they could have turned up on the day, scrapped the whole thing and that would have improved it. I could have written it myself!

Summary; Don't watch the movie, unless you like watching movies you're going to hate. If you care about story line and character development and like having your IQ higher than 60 I suggest you steer clear, I'm pretty sure my IQ dropped significantly watching this. But maybe that's just me!

The makeup was good though.

Absolute crap.

Author: dmcbee1 from United States
5 February 2012

Don't waste your time if you're thinking about seeing this. They cast Ving Rhames in this film in an obvious attempt to trick people into thinking that it's connected with the Dawn of the Dead remake.....It's not in any way shape or form.

The characters in this film are obnoxious to say the least; I don't think there was a single likable character in this entire film. The fact that they cast a rapper as a main character should tell you something. It's sad but you'll find yourself waiting for these people to die off as you watch this.

The zombies/effects are crap. People go from breathing to decomposed in a matter of seconds. One zombie is even a vegetarian zombie because he was a vegetarian in life. Oh and apparently one zombie has Spiderman powers because it was a scientist. There's not a single decent scare to be had from these lame monsters.

Do your self a favor. Avoid this film.

not a classic

Author: Col Harling from England
31 January 2012

This is a truly awful movie, i was amazed to see it had an 18 million budget, i really believed it was a made for TV movie.

Awful special effects, wooden acting, terrible dialogue, i could go on and on.

If you are in any doubt about how bad this movie is, and are tempted to watch it, you will find the production values on the TV show " the walking dead " far surpass this.

SPOILER ALERT very funny part of movie? one of the zombies allowed to travel in the car with the survivors because " he was a vegetarian before he got infected " Hilarious.

If you feel the need to watch a zombie film, watch any of the romero movies, or even the resident evil series, or pick up a joypad and go play dead rising or something similar

just do anything at all to pass the 80 or so minutes you will ultimately waste watching this absolutely brain numbing and pointless remake ( is it a remake )

my worst movie

Author: adebisi-vzt from Croatia
19 January 2012

this is my first comment on IMDb, and i posted it because this is the WORST movie i have ever seen....and i have seen a lot of movies...i love horror movies and i watched a many bad ones but this wan was so bad that i couldn't help my self and write a review...when i looked at this film i was wondering what the hell was those people thinking that they even made it..there is not one single good thing about this movie. i don't know what else to say. o yea. i also think that this movie have nothing to do whit Romero's dead series... i mean did you see the moves from zombies...they are moving so fast that you can barely see it...absolute disaster.

An Insult To Romero

Author: KxWaal from Canada
7 January 2012

This film offended me as a Romero fan, this film offended me a zombie movie fan and this film offended me as a human being. This film was so terrible, in fact, that it inspired me to write my first ever IMDb review.

I will start off by saying that I'm not even sure how this can be called a "remake" of the original Dawn Of The Dead. I don't see how this could be called a "re-imagining" of the film either, for that matter....

The original film starts off in a post-apocalyptic world. The dead have been rising from their graves to eat the flesh of the living for some time now for an unknown reason. In an almost "Omega Man" theme, the characters of the film fear they are the last humans alive on earth. They live together in an underground military bunker as three distinct groups of people in general disharmony with each other - the scientists who wish to understand the problem, the soldiers, who wish to destroy the problem and the civilians who simply wish to enjoy whatever bit of their life is left to enjoy.

Much of the conflict in the film, in fact, involves the characters interactions with each other rather than their interaction with the zombies. The original Dawn Of The Dead had a very bleak, claustrophobic atmosphere to it that is responsible for it being my favourite of Romero's "Dead" films. The vast majority of the film takes place in the military bunker, as it is the only refuge from the carnage surrounding them. They leave only to gather the dead as "specimens" for scientific study and to look for survivors.

This "remake" has none of this. None. The film starts at the beginning of the outbreak, for one. Also, a reason for this outbreak is later given in the film. The outbreak is also contained to one city for the duration of the film, it is not world-wide. While they do end up in an underground military bunker, it is only toward the end of the film. The rest of it they are running all over the place and there are people all over the city, completely missing the themes and indeed, the entire basis of the original. There are scientists, zombies and soldiers - but their function in the plot is completely changed. The true enemies are not the other people in this one, it's definitely the zombies.

They did bring back the idea of the "sympathetic" zombie, Bub, however he is not been "tamed" like in the original - Instead he is docile and non-threatening because, get this: he was a vegetarian during his life. They then explain that he kept this trait through becoming one of the undead. Hearing this made me feel like I was going to cry. It was THE most terrible concept I have ever witnessed unfold in cinema. - And I'm a huge fan "so bad it's good" B grade horror.

As far as I'm concerned, this film is a remake in title only. Nothing else has any more in common with Day Of The Dead than it does with any other zombie film. In my honest opinion, naming the film this was a shameless, almost criminal attempt at a cash-grab. They were hoping to sucker in poor die-hard horror fans like myself, who would feel almost "obliged" to see such a remake if it were made.

Wow. I can't believe I've made it this far into my criticism of this being called a remake without mentioning "running zombies". Believe me, that really hurt too - But the Dawn Of The Dead remake was guilty of this crime, too... And as much as I hate to admit it, that remake wasn't all that bad. So I'll leave my zombie elitism out of this.

If this film was not marketed as a remake of Day Of The Dead, it would have fared considerably better among critics and fans alike.... However, that's not to say that this movie wasn't terrible as yet another 28 Days Later clone, either...

The acting was god-awful with the exception of (maybe) Mena Suvari. Stale lines, even more stale delivery.

Nick Cannon's role as Salazar was tasteless. He provided a "token black character" for the film in that he was given such stereotypical one-liners that they verged on outright racism... How many times do we need to hear a black character say the "Man, that's some (fill-in-the-blank) s**t, right there!" line in a film until it's not funny anymore? My personal favourite was when, in response to someone saying they were a doctor, Salazar said "Maan.. Ain't nobody here wanna hear that CSI bulls**t!". I was honestly speechless. I find such a stereotypical portrayal of an African-American character kind of ironic in this film, being that Romero's Night Of The Living Dead was one of the first mainstream films to give the lead "hero" role to a black man.

The film overall, while extremely fast-paced, somehow managed to loose my attention consistently throughout. I found myself struggling to pay attention just so I could write this review to warn you people. In the world of zombie films, this one honestly makes "Children Of The Living Dead" look like "Zombi 2".