IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead (V) More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]
Index 141 matching reviews (255 reviews in total)

Dumb! Stupid!

Author: John Brooks from United States
19 April 2008

I turned it off right after Ving's character died at the 30 minute mark. I was disgusted with the horrible choreography, special effects, acting and story. The zombie actors were horrible. These days they are always trying to come up with new ideas to make zombies more horrifying. Running zombies work. Puking zombies work. Zombies that hide bodies in their closets? Dumb! Zombies that hide among dead bodies? Stupid! Zombies that jump 20 feet in the air or crawl on the ceiling like Spider-Man? C'mon, need I say more? I feel sorry for anyone who watches this piece of crap. I was so hoping that this would be another great remake of a Romero flick. I only wish that I could vote 0 out of 10 stars for this.

A shame to the zombie genre

Author: jumbojoe125 from United States
16 April 2008

This is a crime against zombie/monster/horror cinema. The inventor of the genre's name is being defamed, it is mentioned on the DVD case, a name you can trust for a good zombie movie. I can understand a monster/zombie movie with a bad scripting, bad effects, and bad acting because I am watching it to see zombies rip the flesh off young girls or pick at the entrails of townspeople. I did not rent it to see the "vegetarian zombie" This is not a boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, bay get bit by a zombie and becomes one but does not eat her story! To have zombies that do not eat people is like having Oreos with cream filling. Does George Romero know what you are doing because I am telling on you!!!! .....and in Colorado of all places.... sheesh.

And need I mention that 3/4's of the movie actually takes place not in the day as the title hints, but the night. I am becoming overly picky but you are distorting the visionary genius of a great man!!!! Have you no shame?!?!?!?!

Epic Fail!

Author: Morbid69 from United States
13 April 2008

Where to start? This movie blew on so many levels...

The plot contains no references to the original at all. I understand it s a remake, and nobody wants to see a frame-by-frame version. Setting the story in a small town instead of a Military compound is ridiculous though! Granted, the movie does move to some sort of missile silo later in the movie...for maybe the last 15 minutes.

Almost none of the characters are the same in this one. Captain Rhodes for instance, dies in the first 20 minutes. To top it off, it wasn't even his classic death from the original.

The cast is horrible. Like, Sci-Fi channel horrible...Nick Cannon can't act at all and probably shouldn't...ever. He was the worst character, but they were all pretty bad.

In classic Romero films, the zombies movie slow and are dumb. In recent zombie movies, they run. Cool. In this movie they run up walls and, dart across ceilings, plus they all move like they're having seizures. It's terrible.

The effects are pathetic in this movie. It's so painfully CGI that it hurts.

Just avoid this film at all costs.

What an absolute piece of garbage!

Author: hughson01 from United States
12 April 2008

I am not sure what I was watching but a zombie film wasn't it. This film had the most athletic and superhuman zombies I had ever seen. I got everything form leaping zombies to spider zombies crawling on the walls. I hope this was not intended to be a remake and I hope Mr. Romero never sees this crap fest. The acting was crap and PLEASE why put Nick Cannon in anything he sucks. The story was crap and the effects worse, I mean what the hell was the point to any of it. I guess Night of the living dead and Dawn of the dead don't exist in this version. Why the hell was Ving Rahmes in this movie did they forget he was in Dawn of the dead. This movie had so many problems I have no idea how the got anyone to be in it let alone the funding to make it. If any of you out there have any desire to see it please don't, I am saving you the agony of wasted time from your life. This movie was crap the story was crap the acting was crap and the director is CRAP!

Wow such a crap fest!!!

Author: FriskyWango
10 April 2008

Could a movie really be this bad??? Of course it could be! As the generations continue on we all continue to get dumber and dumber. I recommend watching "Idiocracy" instead. Though its not the best movie in the world, it shows just where our world is headed. It's headed to putting people like Nick Cannon into our films and trying to make him look like a genius. WOW!! Such a smashing performance!! I can see it now. I smell Oscar!!! More like Oscar the Grouch's trash can because that is where this movie and Cannon should call home. Come on people. Scare up some no name actors and make a film with them. For one they will actually try and two if you look at all good horror movies they are all no names :) Easy enough! Now lets get out there and make a REAL Zombie Masterpiece!! Isn't it ironic how we move along with much better technology, but we just cant seem to make a better horror movie than the 60's,70's and 80's classics. The original "Dawn of the Dead" will forever be THE BEST. Thank you Romero!!!

why you should watch it...

Author: American Psycho from United States
9 April 2008

The only reason you should watch this movie is to possibly enlighten yourself on what a zombie film is not, as well as what a terrible, in every aspect of the word this "film" truly is.

First off, I'm not going to go into detail about it, but there's a vegetarian zombie. yes, its an oxymoron. apparently these zombies retain parts of their human selves, and one of them apparently retains his predilection for plant matter, rather than human flesh and brains. i mean come on, at least make him eat SOMETHING alive.

Secondly, zombies CANNOT, i repeat CANNOT: crawl on walls or ceilings, jump abnormally high or for long distances, use tools, turn on each other, understand human speech, locate specific addresses, fire weapons, perform medial tasks such as taking out cases from the back of a truck of or in ANY manner, especially in a civilized way, as these "zombies" appear to do. if ANY of the above are used, which they all were, you do not have a zombie film, or even a good film at all, you have a stinking pile of refuse(crap).

i thought that the one saving grace would be ving rhames, but i was wrong to put my hope in him.

the make up was acceptable for a low-budget film. i could let that slide, i wont let a lack of money get in the way of me enjoying a film. past that, EVERYTHING was terrible. i mean I've seen really low budget movies where the CGI wasn't all that terrible, but this was despicable. mina suvari wasn't bad though, and ving was, well, ving.

they used the worst possible sound effects, like the sound tech literally said "hmm, lets use splatter sound effect number....5." The extras looked as if they were given no direction on how a zombie would act, what so ever. it was so bad that it seemed that they had never even SEEN a zombie film before.

one of the worst things is that when they turn, its sudden. they'll stop in mid-sentence and stare off into space. then immediately their skin will rot then the eyes will turn gray. sooooo bad.

i don't want to say much more, because there's just too much to say, but this is NOT a zombie film, and this is NOT even an almost entertaining film. its so mind boggling to think about why somebody would put this slump of vile camera shots and sounds together and actually put their name on it. i hope that the entire film crew is mortified of what they have thrown together: a disaster.

this director has succeeded in taking a brilliant classic and completely bastardizing it all the while completely disrespecting George Romero as an artist. if you see this in your local movie rental store, please completely ignore it. if you are a big fan of zombie films, it will get your blood boiling.

Please watch the original Day Of The Dead instead

Author: aaronrourke from Australia
24 March 2008

Wow, another George Romero remake of one of his 'Dead' films, and the bar drops another few notches. After the disappointing remake of "NIGHT" in 1990, then the terrible remake of "DAWN" a couple of years ago, we now get a truly disgraceful remake of "DAY", showing just how much film-making attitudes have changed since Romero's "DAY" debuted in 1985.

This movie has definitely been aimed at audiences where character, story, logic, and patience is a hindrance, and that colour and movement is all that matters.

Like a bad music video, this new "DAY" continually beats you over the head, thinking that over-editing and drug-induced pacing is all that is required to make a horror movie work.

Steve Miner, who has directed enjoyable genre films such as Friday THE 13TH PART 2, HOUSE, and LAKE PLACID, seems to be trying to channelling the "talent" of Michael Bay or Marcus Nispel, shaking the camera and jump-cutting like crazy. Is it a contractual obligation now to shoot a film in this fashion? The acting is awful, the dialogue worse (what do you expect from the writer of FINAL DESTINATION and TAMARA), and any layers and satire is certainly gone.

While officially a remake, "DAY" more or less takes elements from Romero's film and then attatches them to a plot that is closer to 28 WEEKS LATER and I AM LEGEND. The element involving Bud is crude and awkward to say the least, and doesn't make any sense in context with the rest of the film.

Gore is plentiful, but is practically all CGI. One longs for the complex, expertly handled on-set effects by Tom Savini, who gave us some truly eye-popping effects in the original "DAY".

The way is left open for another, so I guess we'll have to endure a remake of LAND OF THE DEAD, directed by someone as non-talented as Marcus Nispel. Can't wait. By the way, the Australian DVD release date is May 14 (through Force Entertainment).

What The Hell Is This!?!?

Author: WallyDee from Netherlands
17 February 2008

First off all I wanna begin by saying that I am a Dutch so sorry for all the misspells.

Second I wanna say that this is my first review EVER. But I just had to say something about this!!

I just paused the movie about 2 minutes ago after watching for 28 minutes and 41 seconds precisely.

Being a HUGE zombie fan I was looking forward to this movie just as bad as I am looking forward to lets say.....The Dark Knight!!! But what I just witnessed in the first half an hour is absolutely terrible. It makes it even more terrible if you compare this crap to the original Day of the dead movie, or any other George A Romero movie or remake we all know about.

I cant believe that i saw a zombie walking on the ceiling like he's freakin Spider-man. I cant believe i saw so much CGI blood that actually looked like CGI blood when a girl was attacked and electrocuted by 2 zombies. I can go on and on and on about the first half an hour but i wont because then i wouldn't be done in an hour or more.

In the original Day of the dead almost the entire movie took place in the underground bunker. I fast-forward this movie a little bit to notice that maybe the last 25 minutes of this movie take place in the underground bunker!!! What the! is that!!! I mean Day of the dead is ABOUT THE UNDERGROUND BUNKER just like Dawn of the dead is ABOUT THE MALL!! Am i right...or am i crazy??

I'm gonna try and finish the movie now but i don't think that there is anything that can save the last hour of this movie that is to come. But wish me luck.

And as for you stay away from this!!

(part 2)

Well i finished the movie and i was right about one thing there wasn't anything that could save the last hour of the movie....it actually just kept getting worse.

I was wrong about one thing do and that is that they weren't in the bunker for 25 minutes.........is was even shorter!!!!

But that wasn't the only thing that annoyed me off in the rest of the movie. Here are some examples.

1 even more spider-man zombies 2 vegetarian zombie (supposed to Bub from the original movie) 3 lots of cgi blood 4 nick cannon acting like he's Rambo 5 very very bad acting by annalyne mcCord 6 no (good) underground bunker

Again i can go on and on and on I have to say that it was a long time ago since i was THIS disappointed about a movie!

Thank you for reading...have a nice one

I feel nauseous

Author: nocteau from United States
14 February 2008

I Just watched Day of the Dead 2008...

I want to go on record and say I love Zombies. I love them, I watch all zombie movies that come out even if I KNOW they're going to suck.

Avoid this movie like the plague! It's worse than horrible. All of the gore was CGI, the only thing worse than the acting was the directing although the dialog was a close 2nd, the characters failed to reach even 2-Dimensional, and THE ZOMBIES WERE CRAWLING ON THE ROOFS!! Why were the zombies crawling on the roofs? Would someone PLEASE tell me that? They stole the name of a really great zombie flick and replaced it with 87 minutes worth of people taking steaming dumps on Romero's idea.

This is the worst zombie movie I've ever seen in my entire life.

No! Stay Away From This Film!!!

Author: geminiredblue from United States
17 September 2014

Okay, the good news: There's excellent talent in this film. The bad news: It's completely wasted! Shortly after the great 2005 remake of George Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD, along came this half-hearted attempt at remaking his sequel, DAY OF THE DEAD. "Half-hearted" might even be too strong of a word. Try "half-baked, pea-brained, sleep-inducing fiasco"! Yeah, that works much, much better. Never mind that it's got Mena Suvari, Nick Cannon, or Ving Rhames (a carry-over from the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake?) Trust me, while they are good actors, this film isn't one any of them would want listed on their resumes. Now the story, if you can call it that: Somewhere in Colorado, a mysterious flu-like virus has decimated a town... Oh please, do I really need to tell you the rest?! Blah-Blah-Blah... Zombies... Blah... Running and shrieking... Blah-Blah-Blah... Jumping implausibly high... Blah... Even climbing upside down on ceilings... Blah-Blah... Survivors trying to get out... Blah-Blah... Ving Rhames eats his own eyeball... Missile silo... Huge explosion... BOOM! THE END! Not much else to say, really. Avoid it like the plague it is. And if you think the zombie genre couldn't possibly get any lower, look out for DAY OF THE DEAD 2.