IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]
Index 135 matching reviews (250 reviews in total)

Wait...Have we stooped so low?

Author: murdock50136 from United States
12 February 2008

As an avid zombie film buff I feel sick to my stomach after watching an hour and a half of worthless film. Everyone associated with this production should truly feel uncomfortable with the direction of their careers. I knew it was going to be bad after a zombie scaled a hospital ceiling for no apparent reason other than being some type of crazy generation x zombie...not to mention zombies later on poking air conditioner ducts with crutches and floor sweepers (apparently not blessed with the gravity defying before mentioned wall crawling) in order to get at non zombie flesh crawling to safety.

You have to wonder about the makeup of a person who sits down to write a script like this. Better yet those who read this nonsense and throw millions of dollars around in order to make sure it happens. Was it that they truly could not tell a difference between this script and dawn of the dead remake script. One being decent while the other, well, read my first paragraph...

Simply put, this is pathetic. If anyone who took part in the production of this reads this, please look in the mirror and ask yourself was this the reason you got into film. Though you will always have the Day of the dead remake on your resume maybe its not too late to do something worthwhile and memorable...good luck.

This movie is just plain bad, remake or not

Author: LoneWolfAndCub from Australia
3 July 2009

When I started watching this movie I was a tad worried, it being a remake of one of my favourite zombie movies of all time, however, I found myself kinda enjoying it. That is, until the zombies came out to play. Really, what were the cast and crew thinking when they were making this? Nothing was done well, even the presence of Mena Suvari could not save the movie from the dregs of shoddiness. Bad CGI, wooden acting, zombies with super-human abilities, a lazy script and clichéd characters all contribute to make this "remake" a mess. I mention remake that way because it bears very little similarity to George A. Romero's dark, violent, claustrophobic 1985 film. The nods to the original include character's names, one line spoken by the main character and the last 20 minutes being set in an underground bunker.

Day of the Dead opens with four teenagers in the woods doing what any teen in a horror movie would be doing. Meanwhile, the army have got the city quarantined due to a flu outbreak (although we know it is so much more than that). Corporal Sarah Bowman (Mena Suvari) is put in charge of three younger soldiers (although one disappears after a minute introduction). She takes one of the them, Bub (Stark Sands) to pick up her sick mother and take her to the local medical centre. Along for the ride is her younger brother Trevor (Michael Welch) and his girl Nina (AnnaLynne McCord). When they arrive at the hospital, all hell breaks loose when the virus is unleashed and turns most of the town into zombies. From here on the movie is a standard action/horror flick with the survivors going from one place to another trying to find shelter.

First things first, the zombies in this film are stupid creations. I do not know who thought that zombies should be able to not only run, but climb walls and ceilings, jump out of two-story windows without damage, drive cars and shoot machine guns. These were like super-zombies that for some reason decayed massively when they turned, but lost no strength. No explanation was given for these zombies except for the fact it was a biochemical weapon (surprise). Not only were the undead unbelievable, but they were CGI...and bad CGI at that. I have never seen so much digital blood and gore, it was poor and only added to the straight-to-DVD feel. The entire cast were bad, Mena Suvari looked like she just needed the money as her performance was dull and by-the-numbers. Nick Cannon should never be allowed to act, but he was not assisted by the dumb script with some appalling one-liners ("by the power of grey skull"?) and rather confusing scenes of civilians becoming master gunman in mere seconds.

Basically, this is a bad movie whether you consider it a remake of Romero's film or a standalone zombie flick. It is not even "so bad it's funny," it is just bad. Sure, it is not the worst movie ever made and it is fast paced enough to never become boring, but there are so many other zombie movies out there that Steve Miner's Day of the Dead should be at the bottom of the need-to-see list.

½/5

shares nothing but the title with the original

Author: crustysaltmerchant from United Kingdom
23 July 2009

Dear God what the hell were they thinking? Let's take the final instalment of a trilogy, the first two parts of the trilogy have already been re-made successfully by keeping very close to the originals, and give it a completely different story! Instead of a small unit of military men and scientists trapped in an underground bunker occasionally testing on zombies we have a small town turning into zombies by some weird virus. However as bizarre as the dead coming back to life is it's nothing compared to the dead climbing on ceilings upside down and running about and leaping 20-30 feet in a single bound all done with the brilliance of a "my first cgi kit" seriously the cgi in this film is awful. If you can't do it well then don't do it! the gore is very poor indeed and the casting is incredibly poor with Danny Cannon stopping just short of saying fo'shizzle at the end of every sentence because he's a bad ass gangsta pimp army man. this is nothing short of an abortion of a film and should be ignored by all fans of the genre.

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
2 August 2008

Zombies have invaded a small Colorado town. The government has blocked it off, leaving the survivors to fend for themselves.

This is yet another boring zombie flick that follows the same predictable patterns with nothing new, exciting, or fresh. Unless you bring into account the fact that Mr. Mariah Carey (Nick Cannon) is in it.

The acting, as you would expect, is sub-par, and the only REAL thing going for the film is the makeup effects on the zombies...pretty darn impressive for such a low-budget picture.

Still, it's something to watch I suppose if you're totally bored and want to kill some time. Otherwise, I wouldn't suggest it.

Avoid this abomination

Author: jbrown-152 from United States
3 August 2008

OK, how the heck did this even manage to make it to DVD? For anyone reading this who hasn't seen the movie yet, don't waste your money. It's a worthless piece of crap that defiles the reputation of the movie it's supposedly a remake of and the incredible director of that movie. First off, I don't care what anyone says about the cast, they suck. Even Ving Rhames' acting sucked, and he was probably the only high-budget actor they had in the film. Nick Cannon butchered the movie with unnecessary profanity, dimwit humor, and a scene in which he grabs two pump-action shotguns with the purpose of dual-wielding them in combat. The zombies were doing things that is not even possible by humans(such as crawling along a ceiling). The so called special effects were on par with movies released by the sci-fi channel(and that is not saying much). And the ending looks like it was taken from some foreign car advertisement(the characters driving a vehicle in the background and a zombie jumps up out of nowhere, trying to shock the viewers.) The whole plot of the movie seems like it was ripped from the script of Resident Evil and combined with a "few" elements of 28 Days Later. In reality, I have just one question for the producers: What the hell were you thinking when you made this abomination? The only reason I gave this horrible excuse of a movie a 1 rating is because "0" wasn't an option. Pass this one up people, it will only give you a headache later.

What did I just watch?

Author: zeehond23 from Netherlands
13 February 2008

Words just cant really describe how bad this movie really is. So far I've seen zombies that use the ceiling to get in front of someone like an martial arts expert, zombies that walk on the wall like Spiderman. I've seen zombies that HIDE a body in the closet, and when the police arrives (after the body's have been found)lay in between them as to fool the police. I've seen purple blood. A zombie who's sad about being tied up in a car, and not going totally berserk, but just sad. The reason why? He's a vegetarian. Since when do zombies DODGE bullets? Or climb a ladder? Or leap like frog on amphetamine? Or flap their arms like a monkey on crack? I'm not saying that a zombie movie is very believable, but this was just over the top. The SFX in this film is not just bad, it's pathetic! Looks like the SFX from the Xena series or Hercules. At one point it looked like the blood was just painted on the frame. I was expecting so much more from this, seeing as the 2004 dawn of the dead was, imho, very good. Even if you think of it as a stand-alone, it's just sad beyond words. Still, you have to see this just to believe how a film with the magical title Day Of The Dead could suck so hard.

Its movies like this that make me miss Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Author: Jack Doyle from Portsmouth, Britain
13 February 2008

I like zombie movies, i do and most are bad but guilty pleasure all the same. This movie however is one of the worst movies i have ever seen it is bad for a zombie it is bad for any movie, i'd rather watch godfather 3 than watch this, hell i'd rather watch Santa Claus Vs the Martians. You are undoubtedly think it can't be that bad but you'd be wrong. Where to begin, well this movie bears not relation to the plot of Day of the Dead and seems like a poor cash in by the copyright holder of that on the success of the Dawn of the Dead remake, (also starring Ving Rhames but more of that later). The plot actually feels like it was lifted from the Res Evil games meshing elements of 1 2 and 3 the military quarantine a town, virus runs amok, secret experiments etc. This might fill you with hope, if it does your'll be sorely disappointed. So whats wrong with the film, well the acting is bad even for a zombie movie, the script can only of been written by a child or a group of the higher primates (and if its the latter then i guess that would deserve some respect), and the camera-work and editing is so bad at points its hard to tell whats happening. The cardboard characters consists of three marines (how they became marines is beyond me) of Mena Suvari as Jill valentine, coming back to her hometown after leaving (apparently its complicated but never explains why), a Ghetto Stereotype, and newbie aka zombie bait aka bub (the only reference to the original), an evil government doctor who habitually lies for no apparent reason (like claim not to have a car) and is evil (to emphasis this a nurse begs for help by his car in the zombie infested parking lot, but he just pushes to some waiting zombies for some reason?) plus some towns folk like Mena's brother and his girlfriend or something. At this point you might be wondering why i haven't mention Ving Rhames character, Black Authority figure, thats because it really was only a cameo no doubt in a effort to link this to the Dawn of the Dead remake he appeared in, when the best character in a zombie movie dies 5 minutes in to the actually zombie attack you got start questioning the film. So after what is a pretty terrible build up, (apparently stoners can hang out at abandon missile silos housing secret military labs, who knew?)At the hospital you half expect Hugh Laurie to gait by on his cane as the film liberal steals, ahem homages from House with a scene apparently show the activation of the virus. Most of the special effects are sub par not bad enough to make you laugh just poor, and i expect this was because they wasted most of the SFX budget on the House cgi. So the zombies aren't zombies not really coming somewhere between the comedy zombies of night of the living dead and the those of 28 days later, but what they most remind you of is deadites and its at this point you realise this movie could of been awesome, if they had cast Bruce Campbell and rather than stealing the plot of Res Evil stole the plot of Fistful of Broomsticks but alas this is not to be. The Zombies have superpowers (like crawling on ceilings) are smart (they can hide bodies in cupboards, pretend to be a corpse, understand directions given over a radio) and in the case of one zombie dodge bullets like Neo (honestly though he is apparently the zombie messiah since scientists are know for the physical prowess) oh and they fall in love (zombie love story i wonder if the zombie virus can be sexually transmitted?). Thats right Bub the newbie moron soldier, get bitten and smitten, and apparently doesn't attack people because he was a vegetarian in life. However Bub does reckon the best part of this movie Mena Suvari arse, thats it the sole good point of this movie is her Arse, for the ladies there's nothing unless your into black stereotypes, women or rotting corpses (in which case you got a whole other set of problems). This movie is like a parody without the comedy, the only way this could be redeemed is by a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 commentary or if they re-cut it to star Bruce Campbell.

In conclusion if you like Mena Suvari rent American Pie or Beauty, if you like Zombies rent the original.

Garbage!!!

Author: tbprlang-1 from Canada
20 January 2009

This is probably the worst Zombie flick ever made and its creators need to literally be SHOT!

Zombies that crawl on ceiling tiles, zombies that make stupid blurbling sounds and crappy sloppy makeup effects combined with really bad computer animation, stupid humor, bad acting and lousy wanna be Dawn of the Dead remake(which was excellent) editing. This movie is the lousiest horror movie I have ever seen and does an injustice to the genre itself while insulting the audience in the process.

For Zombie films this is Blasphemy! For it to be a remake of the Romero masterpiece is unforgivable.......in fact I pulled it out of the DVD and chucked it across the room 3/4 of the way through, rental or not!

day of the crap

Author: srsmith73 from United Kingdom
19 December 2008

Thought we would give this film the benefit of the doubt. wrong wrong wrong. utter pants movie. wasted a couple of hours of our life watching this rot... isn't there some kind of height requirement for the army? i'm sure mena suvari wouldn't meet it.It's like allowing Jeanette Krankie join the police force(no offence Jeanette 'Fan Dabby Dozee'). please don't waste your time watching this. I'm writing this comment as i've given up watching the film. The special effects are really bad.To be honest the special effects in Michael Jackson's Thriller were better. And since when did zombies have the ability to climb walls??? If you want to see better movies watch the first 2 remakes or even better, watch 28 days and 28 weeks Later.

"I put bleach on it"

Author: Kiwibob (brentonmcintosh@hotmail.com) from Auckland, New Zealand
23 August 2008

I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them.

Dead rising and shuffling around hungry for human flesh? OK! Dead able to run like Flo-Jo after said human flesh? I guess.

Dead crawling across the ceiling after same said human flesh? OH HELL NO!

Day of the Dead tries to explain the situation away as a virus that causes the dead to attack people... but somehow this virus is timed so an ENTIRE FRIGGING TOWN turns into zombies at exactly the same time!

And people that looked pretty much normal mere seconds ago now look like they have been rotting in the ground for weeks.... man that's some virus!

Oh yeah... as insult to injury they threw vegetarian zombies into the mix! AVOID THIS MOVIE!

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]