IMDb > Day of the Dead (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 4.5.
Page 3 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]
Index 136 matching reviews (249 reviews in total)

bad movie very bad

Author: prime801 from United States
19 February 2008

first off don't listen to what any of these people who rated this movie good... the movie was garbage.. a pile of hot garbage in fact. the zombies in this movie have super strength which include crawling around on the ceiling , jumping super high ,jumping out windows, running real fast and on top of it all , wield m16 machine guns(a whole group of them !! Oh lets not forget driving vehicles on top of that.but after i seen the m16 wielding zombies i was tempted to shut this off but i figure since i was committed to finish it. the only thing good about this movie was some of the effects. (even tho must of them were cgi , there are still some good ones in there.) if you are a George Romero fan of true zombie movies you will be very disappointed about this movie. hell i like the dawn of the dead remake, even land was OK.. this is one of the worst movie's i have seen in a long time. please save your time for something good. like diary of the dead(Romero film) coming soon.. don't listen to these good reviews, this will leave you a bad taste in your mouth. go watch 30 days of night thats what i had to do after this flick . it washed the bad taste out of my mouth..

I am still shaking in awe of this film!!!

Author: perkin2000 from United Kingdom
7 January 2009

On a horror website I frequent, many people posted derogatory comments about this film. The site's owner said that the worse people insulted the film, the more people are likely to part with their hard-earned to see it. Such is the strange world of horror websites. Well, with that in mind, I'd like to wholeheartedly recommend this absolute flippin' masterpiece.

The narrative, framed in a style that some would consider 'poor', 'amateurish' or 'atrociously bad' I consider to be a learn-by-example of unparalleled genius. It challenges our conceptions of what makes for good cinema, or even 'entertainment', and offers, instead, a story-structure and pace that allows one so much interpretation. As a viewer you will look deep inside yourself, back and forward through time, out of the window, in your pockets... Pretty much anywhere but the screen while it's on. SUCH is the profundity of the Day Of The Dead 2008 experience.

The performances are, in a word, acting. There are many other words that could be used, but I think the director should be applauded for making use of people from the 'special communities'. Their unique interpretations of emotional responses are brave, their struggle evident in every laboured motion and word. It almost brings a tear to the eye, especially when comparing this to the original D.O.T.D. which relied so heavily on such conventional approaches to acting. These are the kind of challenges we should confront ourselves as viewers of high class cinema.

Scares? Well, in the original, we had the hands coming out of the wall, Dr Tongue, the amazing Rhodes death scene, the metaphorical, regan-era cold war tension between science and military, the oppressive gloom of the miles of underground tunnels filled with the groaning dead. This version does away with such things, instead employing a cast of utterly lovely photogenic models barely out of their teens. Surely this, more than anything Romero has ever done, reminds us to be cautious of our collective attitudes towards the increasingly disposable nature of society, how living for now, and only caring about image and asthetics will surely come back and bite us. The lack of gore just reinforces the fact that beauty is only skin deep and looks fade with age... or infection from a zombie bite. In this one, the zombies can also climb on walls and stuff. Which is also brilliant. And not at all rubbish.

To summarise, this is the best film ever made in the history of all existence and should be experienced by everyone at least one thousand times. In NO WAY is it a cynical exploitation of focus group, corporate demographic mentality, created entirely for audiences of pubescent, text-speak, MySpace idiots who will whoop at any bright colours and loud noises like a bunch of hollering sub-cretins in dire need of having some real life punched into their vacant, teenage, mouth-breathing faces.

Yes, please see it. You wont regret it.

No wonder it took so long to come out!!!

Author: pimpcj from United States
20 February 2008

First off, if this movie claims to be a horror movie -- it is dead-fully wrong. It is a large combination of other movies all packed into one. Resident Evil, The Fog, AVPR, and more. I could not help but to laugh at the fully predictable "Zombie hiding locations" or the cheesy dialogue. They type casted Nick Cannon and gave him lines that 2Dimensional-ize black males within film and bring shame to their culture and use of slang. The pacing of this movie is also of in that it seems like it was shot by multiple directors and 2nd and 3rd units. The cinematography was well done, but the director's choice in using a shaky "Hills Have Eyes II" shooting style dropped the suspense factor down to zero. More importantly the zombies in this film have brought shame to all other before. They can climb up walls, on ceilings, jump 10+ feet in the air, but cannot catch our main characters when they are right next to them.

A combination of bad dialogue, super-zombies, poor direction, predictability, and stolen scenes from other movies. This movie has been one of the worst movies that I have ever seen.

An insult to the master

Author: distortedturtle666 from United Kingdom
15 February 2008

After watching this film I felt compelled to write a short review so that other zombie-film fans wouldn't have to sit through it. To connect it in any way to Romero's 1985 masterpiece is heresy and as far as I could see, the only connection was a zombie called Bud who retained some human-like behaviour. The effects were not that bad and there were some good set pieces but they couldn't distract from the overall mess of clichés that the film was. With most of the action happening at night there was very little of the original's feeling of apocalyptic disaster and the total lack of anyone to care about just added to the frustration of sitting through a film that isn't fit to bear even a nod to Romero's work, let alone claim to be a remake. The only thing worse than sitting through this film would be to be told that someone credited you in it as an influence.

Disgraceful Mess

Author: Mister_Mausoleum from Deep in the Catacombs of the Tall Man's Lair
3 July 2008

The best excuse people can come up with for this trash, is that critics just don't like it because they can't stand someone trying to replace Romero's previous work. The remake of "Dawn of the Dead" was actually very well received overall by Romero fans. As a staunch Romero fan, I can say I liked the "Dawn" remake. Many of us did. But what Steve Miner did with the "Day" remake was just bad film making. Miner is so much better than this, he blew a sure thing with the remake recipe, and trashed "Day". Yes, I'm mad Miner remade a Romero film but the real issue is that it's simply bad film making. Do you punks get it?

This movie is an insult to Romero and to intelligent horror fans. The highest overall rating this deserved was possibly two stars. There were no redeeming qualities what-so-over. I've lost what little respect I had for Rhames for his participation in this film. Cannon's performance fortifies societal stereotypes of African American men; what an insult his character was! Suvari's performance was disgusting. Every one of her lines was delivered in the same flat, oh I'm such a beautiful tough chick with brains, delivery. She's an idiot, I'm not impressed. And I don't think she's hot! She's a fool.

I wonder what Romero thinks of this garbage? I know what I think. It was horrible from beginning to end. A brain numbing experience that had me continually checking my watch. How did they even get the green light for this project? I consider it a Cardinal Sin that Miner took the "Day of the Dead" production name and attached it to this monstrosity! Miner owes Romero an apology. He owes the world of film making an apology. He owes horror fans an apology. The real shame here is that much more talented production professionals and actors would have been happy to remake this film, at least good enough to have it shown in theaters, not straight to DVD. Probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Not even for the zombie completist

Author: rhob1960 from United States
13 May 2008

Well, I finally got to see this. And I wish there weren't a self imposed rule against expletives, or I'd write a message filled with them and my anger at this piece of crap still wouldn't be sated. Not even close to being a remake of a much better film, it is a raping of much better films title. How they got two decent actors (Mena Suvari, who I guess has no career any longer and Ving Rhames, who sleep walks through his ten minute cameo) is beyond me. A stupid-fest from beginning to end, I can't think of one positive thing to say about this garbage simply because even it's short running time felt like five hours. I won't point out all the mistakes, someone did that in an earlier message, I will say that if I were George Romero, I'd want to hit someone for the credit: BASED ON DAY OF THE DEAD BY GEORGE ROMERO. I'd like to meet the idiot who read this terrible script and said, "Yeah! This sounds GREAT!" I will point out some of the stupider things that were slightly missed in earlier critiques. 1 - We never find out why the hell Mena's gun isn't loaded. "It's complicated." Oh, unlike the script which was just STUPID? 2 - The bit with the spear. Nick Cannon killed like ten creatures (I refuse to call them zombies) with a saw medic taped to a crutch! 3 - Why, why, why in all zombie movies (but a Romero one) is there one idiot who says, "No, they may not turn." We've seen an ENTIRE town turned in like 8 minutes and this guy won't turn? PUH-LEEZE pass the barf bag. 4 - Bud, BUD the vegetarian Zombie? Oh I think I'm gonna heave... 5 - Zombies running around shooting guns? Sorry, but zombies are either morons (like most) or can think (return of the living dead), which leads to: 6 - No consistency among the zombies. Either they are fast or they aren't. Either they think or they don't. Either they suck (like here) or they are great. 7 - The lead zombie... they tried to have a reason for them. But viruses don't just mutate over night. And Pat Kilbane... guess his career after Mad TV is really over.

Sigh... that's enough I guess. Just a crapfest (and boring at that) from beginning to end. A bad, bad, bad movie. And on a final note, I will NEVER forgive the far superior 28 series for introducing the idea of fast zombies. To paraphrase Indiana Jones, "I hate fast zombies, Jock. HATE EM!" And to paraphrase Doctor Zachary Smith, after sitting though this trash, "Oh the pain... the pain!"

AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Not even recommended for the Zombie completist.

No! Stay Away From This Film!!!

Author: geminiredblue from United States
17 September 2014

Okay, the good news: There's excellent talent in this film. The bad news: It's completely wasted! Shortly after the great 2005 remake of George Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD, along came this half-hearted attempt at remaking his sequel, DAY OF THE DEAD. "Half-hearted" might even be too strong of a word. Try "half-baked, pea-brained, sleep-inducing fiasco"! Yeah, that works much, much better. Never mind that it's got Mena Suvari, Nick Cannon, or Ving Rhames (a carry-over from the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake?) Trust me, while they are good actors, this film isn't one any of them would want listed on their resumes. Now the story, if you can call it that: Somewhere in Colorado, a mysterious flu-like virus has decimated a town... Oh please, do I really need to tell you the rest?! Blah-Blah-Blah... Zombies... Blah... Running and shrieking... Blah-Blah-Blah... Jumping implausibly high... Blah... Even climbing upside down on ceilings... Blah-Blah... Survivors trying to get out... Blah-Blah... Ving Rhames eats his own eyeball... Missile silo... Huge explosion... BOOM! THE END! Not much else to say, really. Avoid it like the plague it is. And if you think the zombie genre couldn't possibly get any lower, look out for DAY OF THE DEAD 2.

Day of the Stupid Crap Movie

Author: unknown07 from United States
27 February 2010

Day of the Dead (the original) is a good movie. Day of the Dead (the remake) is a piece of unwatchable trash which has nothing to do with the original. It's more cheaply made than a super 8 movie shot by a monkey.

How can everything in a single movie suck so bad? The story, the effects, and especially the actors (if they are actors, that is.) The zombies, for some reason, develop super-powers allowing them to walk on ceilings and run at amazing speeds. How stupid. Even more ridiculous was the short blond's idea to keep the zombie soldier with her...why? WHY?? Because she likes him? Because he follows orders? What? I guess this was the attempt to re-use the Bub character from the original. But that character had a purpose to exist. This movie doesn't!

What was the point of calling this movie Day of the Dead? Obviously, as with Diary of the Dead (which is worse than this one), George Romero is making a final effort to cash-out his name and zombie franchise for a few extra bucks. There's nothing wrong with that, but when fans of his old movies get screwed out of their time and money because of this lame trash, that's ripping people off.

This movie is a fraud. Do not watch.

remake of George Romeros classic 1985 could it really be that bad, yes it is even the zombies can't act

Author: aaronnz from New Zealand
8 April 2009

I don't even want to waste time writing a review for this um...film/amateur play, or home made movie maybe?

But due to rules on IMDb I suppose I better waste some space on here

like the saying goes, 'If it ain't broken don't fix it'.

Steve Miner is a good director, remember the Friday the 13th films just some of his classic works. this remake of the great 1985 George Romero classic, in my opinion has raped the title to the point of no recovery. Shocked that even the zombies can't act, and who the hell was the casting director.

Oh please Hollywood or whoever it is that has gone trigger happy on remakes, just put down your nostalgia gun and come up with something original, gee's next thing they will be remaking Jaws, oh what's that I heard you say, they already have started on that project no, no save me I am drowning in crap movies.

Oh... wow...

Author: Jorma Teräs from Finland
29 April 2008

Wall climbing, bullet dodging ninja zombies that blow up if they catch fire and a friendly vegetarian zombie... Wow, that's all I can say. Wow. I cannot believe how this movie is named Day of The Dead since it has _NOTHING_ to do with the original, why not name it "Night of the ninja zombies" because that's exactly what it was, ninja zombies killing everyone in a town at night. I'm not really sure if anyone of the crew had ever seen the original before deciding about remaking it.

And what about the hopeless attempt to add Bub to the movie, a friendly vegetarian zombie... Wow, I didn't see that one coming. The acting was pretty much awful and the dialogue wasn't any better.. And why was Ving Rhames in this one since he was in a different role in the remake of Dawn?.. Oh wait a minute, of course, this piece of **** has nothing to do with the trilogy except for the name.

The only point goes to the zombie make-up and the gore, both of which were acceptable at times.