IMDb > Unaccompanied Minors (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Pure Nostalgia Overload!

Author: slimer8489 from United States
12 February 2015

OK, so on Facebook, I do reviews of forgotten movies/TV shows/books/etc. from my childhood on Throwback Thursday (I go above and beyond), and for Christmas, this was my choice, and it was the perfect choice! Usually on TBT, I have an amazing memory with the movies, but with this movie (since I was reviewing it for Christmas, which is a special time), I decided to check it out from the library, and watch it again, and I was hit with nostalgia.

I like this movie. It reminds me of my childhood, when kids movies were just about kids being kids. I miss those days. It reminds me of the days when technological things like cell phones weren't advanced (yet) and all you had was a flip phone. Yeah, before technology controlled our damn lives! This movie is a kid's dream: Just kids trapped in an airport having the time of their lives.

I really like the Spencer kid, and how he's so determined to get anything done. These kids have some great chemistry together. I'm also surprised that he has a really nice sister, unlike most things like this, where the sister is an annoying brat.

But there are things that I don't like about this movie, like the scenes with Spencer's dad trying to get to his kids. They're not funny, and they drag on. There's no importance to them. I think they should have put these on the deleted scenes for the DVD. The guards aren't really funny, but other than that, I really like this movie.

If you're an adult reading this and you're about to watch this, go into it with the mind of a child. Just have fun with this movie. Just think back to the days when you were a kid, just the days when kids weren't focused on stuff like relationships and instead, were focused on being kids.

So, with that said, pop this DVD in if you have the chance, and prepare to feel like a kid again! Don't look for Citizen Kane in this movie, just look for a good ol' fashioned kiddy good time!

Too childish, and without the poignancy of 'The Breakfast Club'

Author: SnoopyStyle
24 December 2013

The airport is snowed in, and all flights are canceled. All the unaccompanied minors are rounded up and put in a locked room. Wilmer Valderrama tries and fails to control the rambunctious lot. Five kids (Tyler James Williams, Dyllan Christopher, Brett Kelly, Gia Mantegna, Quinn Shephard) escape and run rampant.

The four main kid leads are perfectly likable with good chemistry. This could have been 'The Breakfast Club' lite. I think director Paul Feig is trying for that feeling. But the script doesn't have it. Lewis Black is way too outlandish as a villain. There is way too much childishness. Unlike 'The Breakfast Club', this doesn't have the insightfulness or the relevance. And bringing out 'The Kids in the Hall' make no difference at all. It could have been so much better.

The island of misfit minors

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
16 December 2012

Unaccompanied Minors blows such a grand opportunity for a kids film, so much so that sticking around to the end is a chore because you see so many ways the film could've subverted its dead end cliché material and watching it stay gridlocked to cheap, disposable schlock of the least common denominator is painful to say the least. With the wealth of talent and directorial experience on recognizably professional TV shows, I would've expected director Paul Feig to give this film proper guidance into sustainable entertainment and not that of a facile nature.

The film stars a wealth of talented youngsters that you hunger to see in better material. They are all "unaccompanied minors," planing to fly alone to travel to one place or another for Christmas, when all the flights at the airport are unexpectedly grounded because of an enormous blizzard that has consumed the entire town. We first meet Spencer and Katherine Davenport (Dyllan Christopher and Dominique Saldaña), who are scheduled to fly to Pennsylvania to spend Christmas with their father, but are instead, transferred to the ominous U.M. room when their flight is cancelled.

And what a room this "U.M. room" is. It's the most archaic sight in a kids' movie since watching Eddie Murphy, Jeff Garlin, and Steve Zahn get man-handled by a bunch of rugrats in Daddy Day Care. The room is crawling with about fifty or sixty ankle-biters, running lawlessly throughout the large, mundane room. The dopey but somewhat likable Zach Van Bourke (Wilmer Valderrama) is conned into watching the kids, but after he is tackled, several kids manage to escape and run wild in the airport. They are prettygirl Grace (Gina Mantegna), smart but overly-goofy Charlie (Tyler James Williams), sensitive Donna (Quinn Shephard), and the quiet Beef (Brett Kelly). They are captured by the head of passenger relations Oliver Porter (Lewis Black), and sent back to the ominous room, where the activity has died down since the remaining unaccompanied minors were taken to a quiet lodge for the night, but the six kids manage to sneak out once more, with Spencer desperately trying to get a doll delivered to his sister, who is now at the lodge.

All the kids here are great and can be very effective in better material. We already know the capabilities of Brett Kelly, who was perfectly cast in Bad Santa, but here, he is made into the bumbling, mysterious fat kid, who we know even less about at the end of the film than at the beginning. Tyler James Williams of Everybody Hates Chris fame works well in his little role, but after a while, his character, much like he would in real life, becomes a pain to deal with. An nerdy, confused, quirky little albatross.

We could think of these five kids as misfits and the airport as their island. This already poses an interesting setup. But, unfortunately, writers Jacob Meszaros and Mya Stark make the film nothing more than a collection of slapstick gags, and only incorporating the ideas of divorce, loneliness, and being an outcast as little minor character backstories the film chooses to do noting with. I believe that many, many kids would be more interested in watching kids go through and handle the same problems they possibly are going through rather than lumber around setups concocted from a fourth graders daydream.

Starring: Dyllan Christopher, Dominique Saldaña, Tyler James Williams, Brett Kelly, Gina Mantegna, Quinn Shephard, Lewis Black, Wilmer Valderrama. Directed by: Paul Feig.

This movie was OK, but too many kids...

Author: kill-the-boxtrolls from United States
3 August 2008

The director "Paul Feig" needs to help some kids and older brothers because of the actions. The little girl sorta feels sad at some scenes and she needs to be a little happy, and nobody does not worry about the beginning when she argues about "I don't wanna go!" to the older brother, and the cranky boys need more comedy. I saw this movie on DVD at a sleepover party and what? I like my friend's sleepover party because we like to watch movies, and play games, and eat sacks and a good dinner. We even eat popcorn when we watch a movie just like in the movie theaters. my friend's DVD Player is awesome for a good TV. That's why we like to watch Dvds. We may watch some VHS doing the holidays, or if the movie is good for everybody witch is not on DVD. So this movie could'nt have had better actions, and the composer making good songs for this movie but at least the some songs were pretty nice, but this movie could be fixed a little.

No plane, no parents, no problem!

Author: Aura V from Romania
3 September 2007

Oh my God, this was the cutest Christmas movie ever! The action was a bit suckie, but the kids were great! It's full of surprises and love... Christmas is supposed to be a heartwarming Holiday, and this movie does exactly the same thing. It warms up your heart.

The kids actors wore so amazing... Dyllan Christopher was such a cuttie, you can see he had a lot of fun playing his character. I believe he has great potential, you might see him some day starring in romantic comedies and being one of the most appreciated actors of his age.

Tyler James Williams was impressive in his role as Charlie, you can see he is truly gifted, a comedian indeed. Gina Mantegna was convincing as your preteen prom queen.

I recommend you to watch this movie any time you want. It just warms your heart.

not sure why anyone over the age of 10...

Author: MLDinTN from TN
24 December 2007

would give this movie a good review. I was expecting much better after reading several positive reviews of this film. Maybe those reviews were posted by little kids, because I think that is the only audience that would enjoy this film. I found it silly and not really funny. Sure kids getting into trouble, making adults look foolish can be amusing, but it doesn't make a great film. Basically, the movie is about some kids, who are traveling alone, get stranded at an airport over Christmas. They are all put in this room where everyone is going wild. They escape and cause havoc all over the airport for the airport customer guy. In the end, they want to spread some Christmas joy for all the stranded passengers.

FINAl VERDICT: Not funny. Maybe kids would like it, but skip it if you're over 12.

Hilarious!

Author: Jonas_fan11 from United States
17 November 2007

I saw this movie in a theater of sorts and everybody there could not stop laughing! I absolutely loved it and I am very glad I went to see it! The kids in here are ingenious! Absolutely amazing acting and the plot was definitely very strong. During certain parts I just busted up and could not stop laughing. My friends and I were talking about how entertaining and amusing this movie was. I wanted to stay and just keep watching it over and over again. Everybody that I know that saw this said they loved it and they were really surprised at how good it was. The kids and adults were very good at planning schemes, but the kids were definitely better.I think that people of any age can go and see this movie, and they will all leave being glad they saw it.

Faces

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
28 May 2008

Few things are more deterministic than kiddie genres, and therefore few things less interesting.

One of the things I notice in these, going back before John Hughes, is how the world of kids is divided up. Here there are 5 or six types, depending on how you count. Its extremely important that you recognize these are the right types in order for all else to work.

What's new — or seems new — are two character types. One is the black kid, who other than a jive number, plays a type that is more deeply human than racial. Its a notable evolution.

The other is that the "rich girl" is not only sympathetic without changing, but she's lovely. To play what I think are supposed to be 12 year olds, they chose a darling 16 year old. She looks a lot like Anna Popplewell, that 20 year old playing a 14 year old in Narnia 2. Its the same general type as Scarlett Johansonn: full lips and full cheeks. Also Ann Hathaway.

I do not think this is a trivial evolution. It seems that we are well into an era where women's and girls' screen faces are meant to communicate with lips only rather than full faces, or eyes as it once was. Renee Zellweger and Julia Roberts are probably the first big names who practice this style of acting exclusively. I'm not sure what it means. And I'm not sure what it means to merge this ideal with the supposedly spoiled rich girl. But it seems significant, a significant reshuffling of archetypes.

It accompanies a more obvious shift. These are all kids from some sort of dysfunctional family. The usual style would be to have parents. If you were missing one, it was because they died. Then the parents could be virtually absent by simply being too dumb to matter. Its more theatrical to show absence by having partial absence. So this all seems significant, even though the movie, well its a waste.

a disappointing movie, avoid it at any cost

Author: barrys82 from Mexico
7 September 2007

It was a decent movie nothing excellent but viewable. The story is based on real childhood experiences from writer Susan Burton, but it makes me very difficult to believe that a bunch of pre-teens do that kind of things. The plot was kinda weak and undeveloped. the cast has decent acting, all performances were good but the best one in my opinion comes from Tyler James Williams. Wilmer Valderrama's performance was so unconvincing and disappointing, its like watching him in his role of Fez but working in an airport and Lewis Black as the movie villain was good. In conclusion, this movie is dull but enjoyable to watch it on a boring weekend.

Bad, really bad, even terrible

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
4 December 2008

To be honest, I did not watch the movie on my own free will. I was forced by my family, who every year at Christmas we watch a movie together and when they picked this one out I was ready to slap them all. I had no intentions whatsoever of seeing this movie, but I did, and when it was over, I wish I hadn't.

First of all, even though I was dreading the movie, I decided to be fair and freed my mind at the beginning. Nonetheless, it was so unfunny and a complete waste of my time. The acting sucked, the script was probably found in the trash, the comedy, don't even go there, and it was hardly entertaining. Everything was just so slapdash and badly executed that it made the film to be quite a painful experience. Nobody was believable and nothing worked to the benefit.

I still have to admit that there have been worse. Counting all the problems I had with this movie, I respected it and gave it a little slack because I am not that into movies like this, I do not understand who would be, and it does suffice some joy; a very small amount of joy, but joy nonetheless. In total, it was a flop, a messy flop. I hated it and never want to see it again.

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]