Unaccompanied Minors (2006) Poster

58 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Nice feel-good movie
imdb15 April 2007
I just watched this movie and I really don't understand why people think this is a horrible movie. It's a good movie, I really enjoyed it! Sure, there isn't some complex plot with several twists; it's just a relaxed ride, a feel good movie. It's un-complex. As un-complex as children ARE. You remember how good live was when you were young? No worries (well, for most people that's true anyway ;). The things the kids in this movie do are things that you CAN only do when you are still young: the adults are going to forgive you. They are doing things that no adult could ever get away with, but that is exactly why it made me feel good: you just know that there won't be consequences; it's just pure adventure and fun.

I see a lot of B-movies lately; were the acting is REALLY REALLY bad. The kind of movies that I turn off half way, disgusted that I wasted my time with it. Imho, THAT are the kind of movies that should fill up the bottom 250 on IMDb. The acting in this movie however, is good! The kids put down some professional acting (not perfect, but in most cases that is totally to blame on the director-- the movie doesn't need it either, this isn't a "The Good Son (1993)") and the adults act as adults typically act in kids movies, nothing that annoyed me.

I think that any adult can enjoy this movie, if they keep an open mind, like children and still are enough of a kid in their heart to remember how (good) it was in their childhood.

Don't expect anything deep - just sit back and allow yourself to enjoy a while without worries.
34 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seemed a little childish...
Jane_Deaux6 December 2006
You should know that I had decided I'd rather watch "Minors" than "Santa Clause 3" or "Deck the Halls," so going into the movie I was probably more lenient with it than I might have otherwise been...

But anyway, I saw this and I thought it was okay. It reminded me a little of Home Alone with more kids and antics. I thought the four main kids--the ones stuck in the airport--had good chemistry and went well together. The adults (Black, Valderrama), while they've done okay in other movies/shows, seemed to be "acting down." In fact, the whole movie kind of seemed that way.

These kids must be 13 or 14 but they're acting more like eight or nine. I'm sure it was as the director wanted but even the adults were talking slow and using lots of animated hand gestures. At the very beginning of the movie, one girl sits on a young, hip Santa's lap and tells him he "hot" and then the rest of the movie has the exaggerated and childish feeling of an episode of Blue's Clues. But, since I was ready to watch and enjoy this movie, I laughed at all the falling down, food-throwing, name-calling activity.

I noticed a theme. I think this theme or message is what some parents will like about the movie and what some might decide to steer clear of: children of divorce do well on their own, perhaps even better than kids whose parents are still married. My parents divorced when I was 14 and I don't really feel like it had a huge impact on my life but today's kids are... different. Maybe "divorce kids" will enjoy this divorce kid fantasy more than everyone else. Parents will approve of it because, even with the happy ending, the divorced parents in the film were still divorced in the end.
29 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun Family Film
Christmas-Reviewer13 September 2017
BEWARE OF FALSE REVIEWS & REVIEWERS. SOME REVIEWERS HAVE ONLY ONE REVIEW TO THEIR NAME. NOW WHEN ITS A POSITIVE REVIEW THAT TELLS ME THEY WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOVIE. IF ITS A NEGATIVE REVIEW THEN THEY MIGHT HAVE A GRUDGE AGAINST THE FILM . NOW I HAVE REVIEWED OVER 300 HOLIDAY FILMS & SPECIALS. I HAVE NO AGENDA.

In this holiday comedy, five kids have just been snowed in at a Midwest airport on Christmas Eve -- and there isn't a parent in sight! Now, Unaccompanied Minors Spencer (Dyllan Christopher), rich- girl Grace (Gina Mantegna), tomboy Donna (Quinn Shephard), geek boy Charlie (Tyler James Williams) and bashful Beef (Brett Kelly) must try to outwit a disgruntled airport official (Lewis Black--"The Daily Show") in a last-ditch effort to reunite with their families. With the help of a reluctant flight attendant (Wilmer Valderrama-- "That '70s Show"), these kids are out to prove that holidays are not about where you are, but who you're with.

Now this film runs 90 minutes and its never boring. Very far fetched at times but it also has some very funny scenes. Not a great movie but not a bad movie.

If your looking something with a 1970's "Disney" vibe then watch this.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hey, hey, this isn't a bad movie at all
FrostyHornyPie21 December 2006
Well, I do give it a medium rating...not bad and not good, but if adults park their brains outside the theater before going in, they'll find it fun. Sure, you have to overlook the way the kids are smarter than the adults and the fact that firstly the security guards aren't bright enough to be working airport security and even so aren't villains but just guys trying to do their jobs. Anyway, the acting is good and the script isn't bad if you don't think too hard about it. The movie is after all targeted for a junior high level audience, but the filmmakers are skillful enough to make it enjoyable for older viewers. Sure it's a reworking and multiplication of the Home Alone theme and Christmas setting. As other reviewers mentioned, there are echos also of The Breakfast Club and The Terminal. However, it's fluffy, harmless fun and there are worse movies out there right now. BTW, how did this get down to #2 on the worst list when Deck The Halls which isn't half as good is out there?
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Christmas Movie Since Home Alone.
Inspiration-BG24 December 2006
When I was first considering seeing this film was when I saw that Lewis Black was in a leading role. How ever I was skeptical about how this film would play out, and if It would be like another ones like "Christmas with the Kranks." I was surprised at how funny this actually was, It had the perfect combination of adult humor and child humor which made it enjoyable for me. To those who feel that this film sucks, don't watch it to seriously. Its just supposed to be fun, so enjoy it. I'd recommend this film to almost any one, although it looks stupid its a fun and enjoyable watch. All in all I give Unaccompanied Minors a 4/5 or a 8/10 for IMDb's Sake. This is worth checking out.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly Christmas diversion
Gregory Eichelberger5 December 2006
Hey, I've seen this film before – it's called "The Breakfast Club." No, wait, that film was actually clever and funny. This rehash of every kid-left-alone movie has incredibly cute children, but very little laughs - and even with a schmaltzy ending - very little heart.

Five kids from different parts of the country, normal kid Spencer (Dyllan Christopher), weakling Charlie (Tyler James'Williams), fat boy Timothy (Brett Kelly), spoiled princess Grace (Gina Mantenga) and tomboy Grace (Quinn Shephard), find themselves together at a Chicago airport.

Put together in a dungeon-like basement for kids traveling without parents, they soon escape and make an effort to find Spencer's little sister, Katherine (Dominique Saldana).

This takes place as grumpy security manager (comedian Lewis Black) and his three idiot guards (former Kids in the Hall players Kevin McDonald, Bruce McCulloch and Mark McKinney) pursue the indifferent and resourceful moppets.

At least Black, whose acerbic tirades on "The Daily Show" can be hilarious; and his well-received books and stand-up specials draw much attention, is funnier here than he was in "Man of the Year." All the while, we are treated to unfunny sequences featuring Spencer and Katherine's moronic, tree-hugging dad, whose vegetable oil-burning vehicle explodes while he is driving to pick them up. Luckily, a chainsaw-toting redneck cretin provides the guy with a new Hummer for the rest of the trip.

Still, this devolves into another "the kids are really smart while the adults are idiots who end up completely defeated and befuddled in the end" kind of movies. That was all right in "Home Alone" but it doesn't really work when you care nothing about any of these young characters.

A sappy conclusion, featuring a reformed Black and the arrival of a deadbeat father, along with everyone getting a new girl/boyfriend (except the fat kid, because we know fat people in Hollywood films do not deserve any sort of happiness), adds to the overall stupidity.

Saw several critics on the Internet Movie Data Base that actually gave 10 stars to this picture. Maybe "Unaccompanied Minors" is just as good as "From Here To Eternity," "On the Waterfront," "The Godfather," "The Grapes of Wrath," "Lawrence of Arabia," "West Side Story" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" to these people, but I'm afraid I'll just have to drop the bar a star or two.
20 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not a bad movie at all!
Gary Dudenko12 August 2007
I saw this movie, and I really liked it a lot. It wasn't only funny, but it was entertaining. Maybe for like 40 year-olds it may seem like a waste of time, but kids under the age of 12 will probably love this movie. I'm not really a family movie fan, (some of my favorite movies are Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects", Cannibal Holocaust, Alpha Dog, Sin City...etc.) but this movie I liked so much that right after watching it, I saw it again. That's how much I liked it. It made me look at airports in a whole different way! It's a great movie to watch with the family, or with some friends, but it may not seen so great if you watch it alone, it is about Christmas, and no one should be alone on Christmas. I liked it not for the hilarious comedy, but for the storyline, it was great overall, any way you look at it.

I strongly recommend people see it, especially on Christmas.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great movie
expe6717 December 2011
i just saw this movie.and as Christmas is one week ahead ,this movie made me glad and had all the good feelings together with clever stylish adventure and kids being intelligent.made me want to be in their group.no one is really bad in this movie,it did not have any "bad" characters or scenes unlike some other family movies.it was a very warm and entertaining movie.the acting was pretty good.the rhythm was proper ,not very fast ,but neither boring,keeping you happy and curious.it makes you see an airport through a child's eyes.i did not see much difference between this movie and the mega-classic home alone,except the star quality of macaulay culkin.but guess what.these kids are very likable without really trying to be,which is a great approach.all together i recommend this movie especially during the Christmas period for everyone young or old who can still feel like a little kid trying to have fun.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad script + bad acting= One Bad Film!
golfnut80113 December 2006
I was excited to see this film, seeing it was filmed in Utah. To me watching for places I was familiar with was more interesting than the film itself. The only laugh from me was the Kids In the Hall Cameo playing musical chairs…that sadly was my only laugh. Oh and there was one fairly funny site gag. The kids that were in front of me was so bored they left early in the film.

Saying that, this film is super bad, awful and very disappointing. This film is a huge waste of some really funny actors. The script is horrible; the kids are annoying and really not believable. Lewis Black is one of the funniest people alive and does not have a single funny moment in the film. Simply put, see something else.
23 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My kids liked it
mysterylover359130 December 2006
I gave this movie a 5, which is a compromise. There were a few smiles in it, but mostly not such a great plot - but my kids, 11 and 14, enjoyed it, the 11 year old the most. If I were making the decision for myself alone, I wouldn't watch it until it came on TV, but it was worth it for a couple hours of enjoyment for the kids. The acting by the child actors was surprisingly good; it was the story that was not well-developed. I guess I should have realized that it wasn't that great when I discovered that it was located in the smallest theater in the multiplex! Overall, I'm sorry I spent over $17.00 to get us all in, but somewhat mollified by the fact that my daughter laughed out loud, repeatedly.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just As expected, and more!
matt tyler9 December 2006
Well I went into the theater a fan of this movie and new what to expect. The kids get trapped in an Airport on Christmas Eve. Five of them escape and run a muck and the others 50 get to go to the lodge. The main point is the kids (Donna, Charli, Beef, Spencer and the rich chick) have to get to Spencers sister and like save Christmas.

Actors: Quinn Shephard stole the show and brought the movie up a lot! She was genius and did a cute diddy with Charlie. I'll enjoy more of her work. Spencer and Beef played great roles and only a few times looked amateur at acting. Charlie and the rich girl were great acting skills and were flawless.

The whole way the movie ran was amazing and ended great. Beef getting to tell his story, Donna kissing Charlie!! Spencer and the rich girl spending Christma together. Though some parts seemed pointless and unrealistic yet funny the movie ran great and is a keeper.

Flaws weren't great in this movie because it was a kids movie an Christmas.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strictly for under tens
Mel J6 January 2008
I had the misfortune of catching 'Grounded' the other day and found it to be a rather pointless little film not worth the ninety minutes or so it takes to view it, and I'm usually lenient on Christmas films. The film revolves around five kids of divorced parents, aged between twelve and fifteen, who are travelling alone before Christmas to visit their other parent. When the airport in snowed in, they go on a rampage with predictable 'Home Alone'-style tricks and out-smarting of airport staff.

I can't complain too much about the acting of the kids. It's nothing special but neither are they terrible, although it is only Tyler James Williams (better known as Chris, from the TV show 'Everybody Hates Chris') who stands out for his expressive ways and wide-eyed sweetness. The adult cast are forgettable since they barely make much of an appearance other than the brief scenes where they come across as inept losers in face of the kids' antics.

'Grounded' fails, largely, because the five kids are far too old to be carrying on like the eight-year-olds they are depicted as nor is there much of a point to their unruly behaviour. They were locked up because they acted like brats and don't deserve to be portrayed as heroes we should all hail. At least, in 'Home Alone', Kevin was not only just eight but he was justified in his tricks because he was defending his home. The toilet humour and the dumbed down show of kids outsmarting big, stupid adults only added to why this film is aimed at undiscerning youngsters under the age of ten. What didn't help elevate the film was the way it portrayed divorced kids as being 'special' and somehow less well-off than children of married parents when there are many well-adjusted kids of divorced parents out there who would be offended by this idea.

This film is pointless for anyone who's seen 'Home Alone', a superior Christmassy film about a kid trumping the adults. I can't see many folk past primary school-age who will find much interest in it.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent family fun!
wryanmcse29 December 2006
I didn't have high expectations of this movie going in but was surprised to find out how much I enjoyed it. There was humor for both my 12 year old son and his friend, as well as for myself and my wife. It was a bit like a teenager version of home alone, yet better, more grown-up basically to appeal to more than young kids. Yet it also had enough slapstick to entertain the very young children in the audience. A nice plus is that it didn't contain any language inappropriate, inappropriate sexual scenes/innuendo and the ending message was family friendly and pro-Christmas.

For the adults there was some humor that went over the heads of my kids, I especially loved the scenes with the main characters eco-conscious father on his way to the airport. We'll definitely be getting the DVD when it comes out. Tyler James Williams (as Charlie) was absolutely hilarious and had the entire audience laughing hysterically. I recommend this to anyone with kids.

My one caution would be that I was always hesitant with my own child, when he was much younger, to expose him to movies where, as in this case, it's implied that Santa isn't real. Since one of the major tasks for the kids in the movie is to prevent one of their younger siblings from being disappointed Christmas morning by not having received a present from Santa.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than expected.
boblarson1234 December 2006
I don't want to say too much about the movie, but I would like to share my thoughts upon certain aspects.

When I first saw a poster for this movie, I said to myself "God, not another home alone/Christmas knock-off." Later on I was invited to a private screening and I was skeptical as to whether it was worth my time or not. I decided to go, out of boredom (Monday night = nothing). So walking into this movie with absolutely no positive expectations, I was surprised.

First off, this is a kid's movie. Actors are kids, theme is about kids, crazy chases involving kids, etc etc. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the subtle adult humor within the movie. I'm not saying there was anything explicit, but one scene for example had a security guard singing the theme song of a classic toy that only adults would know. It was content like this and the inclusion of Brett Kelly that made this movie for me. (If you haven't seen Bad Santa, I suggest you do before you see this movie) I see a lot of critics already shoving this movie into the ground; 40 year-old adults that are dissing a movie about and made for kids. The way I see this movie is that the kids want to see it, and the parents, expecting nothing, will laugh out loud. A lot of the themes and ideas aren't too complex within the movie, but it is for the kid's to understand, is it not? Overall this movie was a nice little surprise for me. The actors they picked were perfect (maybe not Wilmer, but anyone lesser-known may not do). The subtle adult based humor was good, and there were a couple of scenes that just made me crack up in my seat.

When you go see this movie don't expect anything, don't take into account anything I said. A good thing to do would be to bring your kids, it's their movie anyhow. This review is just to get you to buy a ticket; after that open your mind and pretend like you saw the poster for the very first time.
14 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A nice surprise of a movie
Ayal Oren29 December 2012
It's not a masterpiece, it's not pretending it is, but it's fairly well written, with good characters for leads and the actors give their share, like good actors do when they're given good roles to act. It avoids almost entirely cartoonish characters, restricting them to the third or even fourth tiers. In fact the movie surprises with some unexpected depth at moments were a cheesy joke would've been easier. Very little slapstick, limited to specific scenes which call for some physical humor. And apart from some excess saccharine and cliché at moments, there's some solid story telling here, which I always appreciate. The two leading kids Gia (Gina) Mantegnia and Dylan Christopher got the looks and the talent to be going places if they just conduct themselves right. Lewis Black takes a cartoon villain and makes him human, and Paget Brewster and Teri Garr present some lovely background cartoons that complete a surprisingly nice movie.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Horrible....just horrible
TurboFan196130 December 2006
I took my eleven year old daughter to see this movie after Christmas. We had seen the very short trailer on TV commercials, and she thought it looked funny, so we gave it a shot. I've never been so bored by a film in my life. The story was so loosely strung together, it was almost like they made it up along the way. The big selling point of this one was that it starred that Hispanic guy from "That Seventies Show" but he had such a small insignificant roll, I wonder why he even bothered. The African-American boy was hilarious in his roll, but it wasn't because they gave him funny lines to deliver, but purely his facial expressions while delivering them. I hope this kid gets many more rolls, he's great. I just hope that future casting directors will have the patience to watch this film to see how incredibly talented he is. I asked my daughter at the end of the film what she thought, and she said, "It was really dumb, Mom. We should have seen Charlotte's Web, instead." I suppose we would have rented this one after it came out on video - we usually rent most family movies to check out good ones to buy and have in our library - now at least I won't have to waste another dime to do that. By the way - the "mentally challenged" group of young men sitting in front of us in the theater seemed to enjoy this film. Perhaps that should be a clue.
13 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad, really bad, even terrible
Dragoneyed3634 December 2008
To be honest, I did not watch the movie on my own free will. I was forced by my family, who every year at Christmas we watch a movie together and when they picked this one out I was ready to slap them all. I had no intentions whatsoever of seeing this movie, but I did, and when it was over, I wish I hadn't.

First of all, even though I was dreading the movie, I decided to be fair and freed my mind at the beginning. Nonetheless, it was so unfunny and a complete waste of my time. The acting sucked, the script was probably found in the trash, the comedy, don't even go there, and it was hardly entertaining. Everything was just so slapdash and badly executed that it made the film to be quite a painful experience. Nobody was believable and nothing worked to the benefit.

I still have to admit that there have been worse. Counting all the problems I had with this movie, I respected it and gave it a little slack because I am not that into movies like this, I do not understand who would be, and it does suffice some joy; a very small amount of joy, but joy nonetheless. In total, it was a flop, a messy flop. I hated it and never want to see it again.
typically average but good
bob36221 January 2008
the movie grounded was typicall of it's movie contestants,it defined most meanings and explored all emotions possible to explore.the main thing i liked about the movie is that it represents most common kids and i have to say the acting was spectacular,i mean absolutely fascinating but all in all i have to be serious and give the movie a chilling average 7 out of 10 because the movie is not eye cathing and in many terms great but i do admit as a child myself i am overwhelmed with words to this comment. i especially liked the bonding scenes and the promises that were fully successful and many made the overall movie have a happy ending i do contest with anyone who calls this movie a waste of time because i do not understand how? but it was clearly sad but happy and truly shocked me with the comedetic scenes and lines etc to finalise my compliment to this movie grounded i bid you a due and only advise you to watch the movie.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
one is too high a rating
alan_v3512 September 2007
I am a fun-loving guy. I like to laugh, hear jokes and stuff like that. This is why I often like to see a comedy – even if its bad, it will give me a chuckle or two. Even those aimed at younger viewers are always good for a giggle, or at least a guffaw. Well, not always, I guess. This Home Alone wannabe is as funny as blood on the sidewalk. It has poor acting, a yawner of a story, jokes that are not funny, and a fine selection of stock characters that have been so overused by Hollywood, that the whole movie is as appealing as a commercial that you have seen six times in the last hour. If I have been a little wordy, and unclear, up to this point, let me say succinctly. This movie sucks.

The premise here is that six youngsters, ranging in age from around seven to 14, are flying as unaccompanied minors, when a blizzard strands them at some airport somewhere, where they promptly set out on a mission of mischief that uses a lot of unfunny ideas and drab comic violence (particularly voice changing groin strikes – those are ALWAYS funny, right?) mixed in with toilet humor (Ingenious! Who would have thought of that?). There is an evil airport manager or something, who's as pleasant as an evening alone with an electric cattle prod and a mentally, deranged convict named Sparky. Now, that's not as fun as it sounds (never mind how I know!) bu it would probably still make a better movie than this one. I could go on, but I think I have made my point.

It starts bad and it gets worse. It's not interesting and it's not funny. The only possible positive aspect to watching this might be a new appreciation for the value of every moment of the precious gift called life. Maniac out.

This work was first posted on realmoviereview.com
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Started off OK, went to fair, and ended GOOD!
princeofnewyork22 December 2006
Seriously the movie is good and quite entertaining. Now my comments.

The writing and promos did this movie no favors. When I first saw the promos I thought it was nothing but a movie about teen wrecking things and making the adults look like fools. Well, I was wrong. Unaccompanied Minors, which started off slow and predictable really picked up in the last 45 mins. Or as soon as the Kids ran from the guards and all end up on the luggage cart to escape. To me, this is where the movie picked up and became very enjoyable to the end.

I say the best performances in Unaccompanied Minors, easily goes to the kids who plays Charlie and Donna. Not saying the rest sucks, but those 2 were quite good and made the film enjoyable. I so wanted more scenes of them because they had great chemistry and loved how they hook up in the end.

There many scenes that are cringe-worthy but there also many scenes that are LOL funny and I was surprised that I found myself laughing at them.

The movie is splatter with many cameos to name a few; The couple from The Office(Kelley and Ryan), Arrest Development(Buster and the mother), the hippy dude from Ned Declassified, and Terri Garr.

If I sound older than a teen or kid, its because I am and saw this movie with my nephew and he seemed to enjoyed it okay, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Good movie and good for the holidays.
8 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Grounded
Jackson Booth-Millard3 December 2010
Described as Home Alone in an airport, this sounded like an easily digestible Christmas themed film, as it turned out, it was slightly difficult to swallow, you might easily choke on how lame it is. Basically six children, Spencer Davenport (Dyllan Christopher) with sister Katherine (Dominique Saldaña), Timothy 'Beef' Wellington (Brett Kelly), Charlie Goldfinch (Everybody Hates Chris's Tyler James Williams), Grace Conrad (Gina Mantegna) and Donna Malone (Quinn Shephard) have all arrived on Christmas Eve at the Midwestern Hoover International Airport. As unaccompanied minors they are made to wait in the UM room until further notice, but Spencer, Beef, Charlie, Grace and Donna escape with the start of a big squabble, and they explore the airport to wreak havoc. Eventually, after getting underage manicures, playing with emergency equipment, ordering and eating food without paying, messing in a toy shop, and destroying things, the children are caught. As punishment, airport boss Oliver Porter (Man of the Year's Lewis Black) says the five troublemakers are not allowed to go to the hotel provided as a result of being snowed in with no operational flights. With the not so effective Zach Van Bourke (Wilmer Valderrama) keeping an eye on them, it is easy for the kids to escape again, and while Beef goes in search for a Christmas for Spencer's sister Katherine, a big believer in Santa and the Christmas spirit, the rest stay in the airport. The four kids are hiding in the unclaimed luggage hold, opening bags and playing with the contents inside, and they are lucky to escape from Mr. Porter again, and Spencer to get a doll as a present for Katherine. Finding walkie talkies with video recorders, the kids escape and manage to get outside to sledge to the hotel where Katherine and other kids are being held, but Mr. Porter catches them on arrival. The four kids are placed in separate prison style rooms with the walkie-talkies handy to talk to, but also to record themselves on video to put over the camera and escape through the above vents. They drop into the room where all the Christmas decorations have been hidden, and Beef returns with a Christmas tree, so Spencer and the gang decide to decorate the airport with all the stuff. Mr. Porter does spot them in the act, but his heart is changed for the good, and meanwhile Spencer's environmental father Sam Davenport (Hot Tub Time Machine's Rob Corddry) is close to getting to them, despite some mishaps. In the end, Christmas Day, all the people in the airport wake up to decorations, Katherine's Christmas spirit is confirmed with a present and the arrival of Mr. Porter dressed as Santa, and all the kids promise to keep in touch. Also starring Paget Brewster as Valerie Davenport and Jessica Walter as Cindi. The critics got this right that this is more for the younger audience, the kids are typical Breakfast Club style characters that are mischievous and then touchy-feely, and it is filled with pretty tedious meant to be funny moments, a rather dull Christmas comedy. Adequate!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very good Christmas movie to see
Tyler Yusko26 December 2006
A MUST see movie!!!! !!!!!! !!!!! you have to see it to get into the Christmas spirit !!!!!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!!!!a very enjoyable film for the whole family. all ages from kids to grandparents will love it. The whole movie is very impressing. it should have been rated higher.i would think as this of the movie to see it every Christmas season with the whole family. it gives a nice moral and a perfect ending. it also has an amazing cast as well ,everyone played their role perfectly and couldn't have been any better by any means. it is also very funny at times and also gives lessons to the children as well. it is the best movie of 2006.
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Home Alone, The Terminal, and The Breakfast Club all rolled up into one.
DarkVulcan2917 December 2006
This movie is every kids fantasy, and is every adults worst nightmare. This movie makes the kids the hero's, and most of the grown ups the villains. This movie takes place in an airport on Christmas Eve, where six kids are forced to stay over night, when there flight gets canceled due to bad weather, under the strict watch over airport manager Oliver Porter(The very funny Lewis Black), but these kids are not gonna sit still and be bored, they are gonna make this a Christmas to remember, by having fun and trying to outwit Mr. Porter and airport security. This is a fun movie for the whole family, everybody performs well, but it's Tyler James Williams(Everybody Hates Chris) as Charlie Goldfinch who seems to steal the movie, with his flair for comic timing, I hope he has a long career ahead of him.
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We just saw it -- my kids loved it
beckyrps2 December 2006
I had low expectations for this movie based on the trailer, but was pleasantly surprised. My kids loved it and it does have some good messages, such as an older brother who genuinely cares about his little sister, racial harmony, and a truly happy ending.

Apparently the movie was based on a "This American Life" incident in which some children who were traveling without adults were stranded in an airport during Christmas because of bad weather. To avoid the horrible "unaccompanied minors" room they lead the officious airport authority on a chase through the airport.

The PG rating is apt -- it's not G but has very few objectionable parts. I wouldn't pay full price to see it but it's worth the price of twilight admission.
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Five young souls end up saving Christmas for an airport full of stranded passengers.
nonadabove8 December 2006
Go see this with kids (I saw it with my 12 year old nephew and 9 year old niece.) This is just a fun movie where the kids can imagine that they can take control for a change. Lewis Black is a perfect "easily-frazzled" protagonist, and each kid in the movie has some quality that reminds you of someone you know, or yourself. The scene in the unclaimed baggage room with Tyler James Williams is priceless. He does steal some of the scenes in this movie, and probably has the best character. This picture does have some heartwarming moments, and I have to agree with comparisons to The Breakfast Club where the characters find they're not so different and bond.

For a movie that has a 2.9 rating as of this writing, there was an awful lot of laughing out loud in the theater I saw it in.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this