IMDb > Unaccompanied Minors (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Nice feel-good movie

Author: imdb1 from Amsterdam
5 April 2007

I just watched this movie and I really don't understand why people think this is a horrible movie. It's a good movie, I really enjoyed it! Sure, there isn't some complex plot with several twists; it's just a relaxed ride, a feel good movie. It's un-complex. As un-complex as children ARE. You remember how good live was when you were young? No worries (well, for most people that's true anyway ;). The things the kids in this movie do are things that you CAN only do when you are still young: the adults are going to forgive you. They are doing things that no adult could ever get away with, but that is exactly why it made me feel good: you just know that there won't be consequences; it's just pure adventure and fun.

I see a lot of B-movies lately; were the acting is REALLY REALLY bad. The kind of movies that I turn off half way, disgusted that I wasted my time with it. Imho, THAT are the kind of movies that should fill up the bottom 250 on IMDb. The acting in this movie however, is good! The kids put down some professional acting (not perfect, but in most cases that is totally to blame on the director-- the movie doesn't need it either, this isn't a "The Good Son (1993)") and the adults act as adults typically act in kids movies, nothing that annoyed me.

I think that any adult can enjoy this movie, if they keep an open mind, like children and still are enough of a kid in their heart to remember how (good) it was in their childhood.

Don't expect anything deep - just sit back and allow yourself to enjoy a while without worries.

Seemed a little childish...

Author: Jane_Deaux from United States
6 December 2006

You should know that I had decided I'd rather watch "Minors" than "Santa Clause 3" or "Deck the Halls," so going into the movie I was probably more lenient with it than I might have otherwise been...

But anyway, I saw this and I thought it was okay. It reminded me a little of Home Alone with more kids and antics. I thought the four main kids--the ones stuck in the airport--had good chemistry and went well together. The adults (Black, Valderrama), while they've done okay in other movies/shows, seemed to be "acting down." In fact, the whole movie kind of seemed that way.

These kids must be 13 or 14 but they're acting more like eight or nine. I'm sure it was as the director wanted but even the adults were talking slow and using lots of animated hand gestures. At the very beginning of the movie, one girl sits on a young, hip Santa's lap and tells him he "hot" and then the rest of the movie has the exaggerated and childish feeling of an episode of Blue's Clues. But, since I was ready to watch and enjoy this movie, I laughed at all the falling down, food-throwing, name-calling activity.

I noticed a theme. I think this theme or message is what some parents will like about the movie and what some might decide to steer clear of: children of divorce do well on their own, perhaps even better than kids whose parents are still married. My parents divorced when I was 14 and I don't really feel like it had a huge impact on my life but today's kids are... different. Maybe "divorce kids" will enjoy this divorce kid fantasy more than everyone else. Parents will approve of it because, even with the happy ending, the divorced parents in the film were still divorced in the end.

Hey, hey, this isn't a bad movie at all

Author: FrostyHornyPie from United States
21 December 2006

Well, I do give it a medium rating...not bad and not good, but if adults park their brains outside the theater before going in, they'll find it fun. Sure, you have to overlook the way the kids are smarter than the adults and the fact that firstly the security guards aren't bright enough to be working airport security and even so aren't villains but just guys trying to do their jobs. Anyway, the acting is good and the script isn't bad if you don't think too hard about it. The movie is after all targeted for a junior high level audience, but the filmmakers are skillful enough to make it enjoyable for older viewers. Sure it's a reworking and multiplication of the Home Alone theme and Christmas setting. As other reviewers mentioned, there are echos also of The Breakfast Club and The Terminal. However, it's fluffy, harmless fun and there are worse movies out there right now. BTW, how did this get down to #2 on the worst list when Deck The Halls which isn't half as good is out there?

The Best Christmas Movie Since Home Alone.

Author: Inspiration-BG from United States
24 December 2006

When I was first considering seeing this film was when I saw that Lewis Black was in a leading role. How ever I was skeptical about how this film would play out, and if It would be like another ones like "Christmas with the Kranks." I was surprised at how funny this actually was, It had the perfect combination of adult humor and child humor which made it enjoyable for me. To those who feel that this film sucks, don't watch it to seriously. Its just supposed to be fun, so enjoy it. I'd recommend this film to almost any one, although it looks stupid its a fun and enjoyable watch. All in all I give Unaccompanied Minors a 4/5 or a 8/10 for IMDb's Sake. This is worth checking out.

Silly Christmas diversion

Author: Gregory Eichelberger from San Diego
5 December 2006

Hey, I've seen this film before – it's called "The Breakfast Club." No, wait, that film was actually clever and funny. This rehash of every kid-left-alone movie has incredibly cute children, but very little laughs - and even with a schmaltzy ending - very little heart.

Five kids from different parts of the country, normal kid Spencer (Dyllan Christopher), weakling Charlie (Tyler James'Williams), fat boy Timothy (Brett Kelly), spoiled princess Grace (Gina Mantenga) and tomboy Grace (Quinn Shephard), find themselves together at a Chicago airport.

Put together in a dungeon-like basement for kids traveling without parents, they soon escape and make an effort to find Spencer's little sister, Katherine (Dominique Saldana).

This takes place as grumpy security manager (comedian Lewis Black) and his three idiot guards (former Kids in the Hall players Kevin McDonald, Bruce McCulloch and Mark McKinney) pursue the indifferent and resourceful moppets.

At least Black, whose acerbic tirades on "The Daily Show" can be hilarious; and his well-received books and stand-up specials draw much attention, is funnier here than he was in "Man of the Year." All the while, we are treated to unfunny sequences featuring Spencer and Katherine's moronic, tree-hugging dad, whose vegetable oil-burning vehicle explodes while he is driving to pick them up. Luckily, a chainsaw-toting redneck cretin provides the guy with a new Hummer for the rest of the trip.

Still, this devolves into another "the kids are really smart while the adults are idiots who end up completely defeated and befuddled in the end" kind of movies. That was all right in "Home Alone" but it doesn't really work when you care nothing about any of these young characters.

A sappy conclusion, featuring a reformed Black and the arrival of a deadbeat father, along with everyone getting a new girl/boyfriend (except the fat kid, because we know fat people in Hollywood films do not deserve any sort of happiness), adds to the overall stupidity.

Saw several critics on the Internet Movie Data Base that actually gave 10 stars to this picture. Maybe "Unaccompanied Minors" is just as good as "From Here To Eternity," "On the Waterfront," "The Godfather," "The Grapes of Wrath," "Lawrence of Arabia," "West Side Story" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" to these people, but I'm afraid I'll just have to drop the bar a star or two.

Not a bad movie at all!

Author: Gary Dudenko from Canada
12 August 2007

I saw this movie, and I really liked it a lot. It wasn't only funny, but it was entertaining. Maybe for like 40 year-olds it may seem like a waste of time, but kids under the age of 12 will probably love this movie. I'm not really a family movie fan, (some of my favorite movies are Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects", Cannibal Holocaust, Alpha Dog, Sin City...etc.) but this movie I liked so much that right after watching it, I saw it again. That's how much I liked it. It made me look at airports in a whole different way! It's a great movie to watch with the family, or with some friends, but it may not seen so great if you watch it alone, it is about Christmas, and no one should be alone on Christmas. I liked it not for the hilarious comedy, but for the storyline, it was great overall, any way you look at it.

I strongly recommend people see it, especially on Christmas.

great movie

Author: expe67 from Greece
17 December 2011

i just saw this movie.and as Christmas is one week ahead ,this movie made me glad and had all the good feelings together with clever stylish adventure and kids being intelligent.made me want to be in their group.no one is really bad in this movie,it did not have any "bad" characters or scenes unlike some other family movies.it was a very warm and entertaining movie.the acting was pretty good.the rhythm was proper ,not very fast ,but neither boring,keeping you happy and curious.it makes you see an airport through a child's eyes.i did not see much difference between this movie and the mega-classic home alone,except the star quality of macaulay culkin.but guess what.these kids are very likable without really trying to be,which is a great approach.all together i recommend this movie especially during the Christmas period for everyone young or old who can still feel like a little kid trying to have fun.

Fun Family Film

Author: Christmas-Reviewer from United States
13 September 2017

BEWARE OF FALSE REVIEWS & REVIEWERS. SOME REVIEWERS HAVE ONLY ONE REVIEW TO THEIR NAME. NOW WHEN ITS A POSITIVE REVIEW THAT TELLS ME THEY WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOVIE. IF ITS A NEGATIVE REVIEW THEN THEY MIGHT HAVE A GRUDGE AGAINST THE FILM . NOW I HAVE REVIEWED OVER 300 HOLIDAY FILMS & SPECIALS. I HAVE NO AGENDA.

In this holiday comedy, five kids have just been snowed in at a Midwest airport on Christmas Eve -- and there isn't a parent in sight! Now, Unaccompanied Minors Spencer (Dyllan Christopher), rich- girl Grace (Gina Mantegna), tomboy Donna (Quinn Shephard), geek boy Charlie (Tyler James Williams) and bashful Beef (Brett Kelly) must try to outwit a disgruntled airport official (Lewis Black--"The Daily Show") in a last-ditch effort to reunite with their families. With the help of a reluctant flight attendant (Wilmer Valderrama-- "That '70s Show"), these kids are out to prove that holidays are not about where you are, but who you're with.

Now this film runs 90 minutes and its never boring. Very far fetched at times but it also has some very funny scenes. Not a great movie but not a bad movie.

If your looking something with a 1970's "Disney" vibe then watch this.

Grounded

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
3 December 2010

Described as Home Alone in an airport, this sounded like an easily digestible Christmas themed film, as it turned out, it was slightly difficult to swallow, you might easily choke on how lame it is. Basically six children, Spencer Davenport (Dyllan Christopher) with sister Katherine (Dominique Saldaña), Timothy 'Beef' Wellington (Brett Kelly), Charlie Goldfinch (Everybody Hates Chris's Tyler James Williams), Grace Conrad (Gina Mantegna) and Donna Malone (Quinn Shephard) have all arrived on Christmas Eve at the Midwestern Hoover International Airport. As unaccompanied minors they are made to wait in the UM room until further notice, but Spencer, Beef, Charlie, Grace and Donna escape with the start of a big squabble, and they explore the airport to wreak havoc. Eventually, after getting underage manicures, playing with emergency equipment, ordering and eating food without paying, messing in a toy shop, and destroying things, the children are caught. As punishment, airport boss Oliver Porter (Man of the Year's Lewis Black) says the five troublemakers are not allowed to go to the hotel provided as a result of being snowed in with no operational flights. With the not so effective Zach Van Bourke (Wilmer Valderrama) keeping an eye on them, it is easy for the kids to escape again, and while Beef goes in search for a Christmas for Spencer's sister Katherine, a big believer in Santa and the Christmas spirit, the rest stay in the airport. The four kids are hiding in the unclaimed luggage hold, opening bags and playing with the contents inside, and they are lucky to escape from Mr. Porter again, and Spencer to get a doll as a present for Katherine. Finding walkie talkies with video recorders, the kids escape and manage to get outside to sledge to the hotel where Katherine and other kids are being held, but Mr. Porter catches them on arrival. The four kids are placed in separate prison style rooms with the walkie-talkies handy to talk to, but also to record themselves on video to put over the camera and escape through the above vents. They drop into the room where all the Christmas decorations have been hidden, and Beef returns with a Christmas tree, so Spencer and the gang decide to decorate the airport with all the stuff. Mr. Porter does spot them in the act, but his heart is changed for the good, and meanwhile Spencer's environmental father Sam Davenport (Hot Tub Time Machine's Rob Corddry) is close to getting to them, despite some mishaps. In the end, Christmas Day, all the people in the airport wake up to decorations, Katherine's Christmas spirit is confirmed with a present and the arrival of Mr. Porter dressed as Santa, and all the kids promise to keep in touch. Also starring Paget Brewster as Valerie Davenport and Jessica Walter as Cindi. The critics got this right that this is more for the younger audience, the kids are typical Breakfast Club style characters that are mischievous and then touchy-feely, and it is filled with pretty tedious meant to be funny moments, a rather dull Christmas comedy. Adequate!

A nice surprise of a movie

Author: Ayal Oren from Israel
29 December 2012

It's not a masterpiece, it's not pretending it is, but it's fairly well written, with good characters for leads and the actors give their share, like good actors do when they're given good roles to act. It avoids almost entirely cartoonish characters, restricting them to the third or even fourth tiers. In fact the movie surprises with some unexpected depth at moments were a cheesy joke would've been easier. Very little slapstick, limited to specific scenes which call for some physical humor. And apart from some excess saccharine and cliché at moments, there's some solid story telling here, which I always appreciate. The two leading kids Gia (Gina) Mantegnia and Dylan Christopher got the looks and the talent to be going places if they just conduct themselves right. Lewis Black takes a cartoon villain and makes him human, and Paget Brewster and Teri Garr present some lovely background cartoons that complete a surprisingly nice movie.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]