IMDb > "Flavor of Love" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Flavor of Love"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Flavor of Love" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

End of Western Civilization as we know it

Author: ddn32 from Weimar, Germany
18 April 2007

I had the misfortune of having only one English language channel at my Croatian hotel. It was either another game of rummy with my wife or a reality show I hadn't seen before. Flavor of Love is a cynical, contrived and utterly useless show. Anyone with half a brain (obviously not their target audience) can see that the scenarios are faked, scripted and unreal. One show has a contestant serving Flavor Flav a raw chicken with vegetables stuffed out of its orifices and feigning innocence and ignorance. This show is an insult to Americans and women. I watched this on MTV Europe as were millions of other Europeans. The message we received was that Americans are insincere, vulgar, materialistic and phony among other things. Where is the pride of the contestants ? They made American women look shallow and willing to do anything in the pursuit of celebrity. Seemingly, their ten seconds of fame is worth the indignity of parading around like gold digging sluts.

A synopsis: 20 strippers and hoes hump the crap out of flav and he chooses one

Author: hockeyguy55_1 from United States
11 August 2006

Flavor of Love is a show starring Public Enemy's most recognizable member, Flavor Flav, as he try's to find a girl that he can settle down with and have a relationship. But it's pretty obvious to anyone who has seen the show, that it is really about 20 women or so, who jump on flav like he's the sexiest thing on earth and make love to him. All the drama on this show is funny, but you have to question if most of the girls are just in it for the attention. If your looking for an award winning show with excellent plot lines and amazing breakthroughs...turn the channel because you aren't going to find that here. If your looking for a show where someone will spit in a girls face, or even take a dump on the floor, this show is for you. Through and through it is still a very entertaining show, and I recommend it to anyone who just wants to see something funny on television.

Not what I thought it would be, much better!

Author: lambiebob from United States
31 January 2006

I rarely get sucked into the reality world of VH1 (Especially Celebriality, that commercial is bugging me.) But I was pleasantly surprised that this show is really addictive.

As another commenter mentioned, this show is like the Bachelour but with Flavor Flav. Flav is a smart guy but lately he has been knocking off all the wrong women. My favorite girl is Red Oyster because I think she is the most honest of the bunch and I like her personality. New York is a crazy weirdo and i hope she gets eliminated soon. Hottie is just scary to look at and has the same demonic look an her face all the time.

Watch this show Sunday nights on VH1 and not Celebrity Fit Club 3 because that show is just boring. Who wants to see fat, rich, celebrities whine and complain because their lazy and fat (no offense to anyone who likes that show, but it's just not my taste.)

Everyone in this world deserves love...

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
9 September 2006

Let me start off by writing that this show's concept of one of the most not very handsome people who's made some money in hip-hop/rap/social conscious music today and having him look for a love which is based on his good inner soul and not his millions ...is a great idea.

But this show flushes all of that down the toilet.

In a time when reality shows are "the thing" and most everyone is cute and pretty on these dating shows, it is refreshing to see a show where someone who isn't cute or pretty...but has a lot of money is looking for someone to love. This guy isn't looking for someone to love, he's looking for the next trampy, highly obnoxious, limited educated, utterly stereotypical 'street trash' this show can put together on a weekly basis.

Now, some find that entertaining, because its not as lily white and pristine as, let's say, "The Bachelor" or "The Bachlorette" but did they have to go ALL the way to the other side of the spectrum and drag out the alley cats??!? And instead of a rose...give them a big old clock to hang around their neck? (I know it's Flava-Flav's brand but they might as well give them a spinning hubcap!!!!)

Sorry, this show is more than a sin and a shame to me.

Again, I MUST question the powers over at the MTV Networks. Do they deliberately want to show that hip-hop/rap artists are sex-starved, Ebonics speaking, party all day and night, any female will do butt chasers? And African American women as big booty-shaking behind, non-bra'ed big breasted, pot gut, 3 sizes too short dressed, gaped/gold toothed, big hooped earring-ed, loud-arsed lazy, sex-starved, money hungry, two-timing, back-biting shrills? Because that is all I see. I know African American hip-hop music artists that have MBA's (Yes, there are a few) are wanting to throw up looking at this mess. But a well-educated African American hip-hop artist is not what is entertaining to show to the world or to advertisers, is it VH-1?

My goodness, don't ANY of these women have respect for themselves and/or others? I think the network deliberately LOOKS for women who are the loudest, most obnoxious, disgusting, ill-mannered and doesn't give a ditty WHO they sleep with as long as there is money involved. The women casted seemed to have been on a street corner only days before and was lured to this show with a promise of a roof over their head, a pool and a chance to'win' dates on TV, in front of hundreds of thousands of viewers with a 'big' star - Flava-Flav.

FOX Network kinda went the "beauty pageant" way with "Who wants to marry a millionaire" and come to find out the man was worth two nickles. This "Flavor of Love" is all about the money and the idea of women degrading themselves for the opportunity to be with a not so hot looking music star.

The argument will come in that, "these women know what they're getting into". This is true because after watching this, no woman with any self respect would degrade herself this way. Not under the guise of entertainment.

And Flava-Flav? What kind of a man is HE to allow himself to be paraded around like this week after week for entertainment? He too must be out of his mind to think he will actually find "love" among this bunch. Maybe the 'love' of paying doctor bills because just looking at these women through the TV makes me want to get preventative disease shots.

The people involved in this show should all have their heads examined. This is a travesty, it's a horrible view towards hip-hop, towards unsightly men in the music industry who ARE looking for real love, and degrading to women - ALL women.

MTV/VH-1 Networks are beginning to scare me. With entertainment fair like this to push onto a young demographic for alleged chuckles, I can just imagine what their next slate of shows will be like: Lassie finds a new owner via DIO and goes on a 30 city tour...or 6 Ex-Drug addict musicians are put together in a house for 30 days where they are told one kilo of cocaine is hidden and at the end after they all messed over each other to get it, it's actually baby powder...or several single surprisingly still-living 1960's/1970's era rock musicians get to vie for their own mail order bride from overseas...or Bishop Don Juan has a beauty-type contest where the winner will accompany him to the next 'Player's Ball'and get the chance to perform in front of that audience ... entertaining? Heck no! Yes, horrible, but so are these shows.

Sure, for low-brow entertainment and advertising revenue sake, get passé ugly musicians and help them find dates....but there's no need to go to the trash for it. Young minds are looking. MTV influenced a whole generation - now THIS generation you want to make their minds mush. Everything MTV was seemingly against. Now, they are the establishment.

So again I say, Shame on you for a network that used to be ahead of its time.

This is truly the worst show I have ever seen.

Author: omtara from United States
17 April 2006

Flavor Flav is one of the most unattractive men in the universe. To see all those beautiful women fawning over him and pretending to be interested in him made my stomach turn. It might have been interesting if there was any sense that it just might be real, but it is obvious that no woman like that would be interested in him, even if he is rich and talented. Also, if he was really looking for someone to love him, this would be the worst possible way to do it. He may be ugly, but Flav is not stupid, and it was obvious that he didn't take any of it seriously the whole time. The whole thing is idiotic beyond belief, and anyone who watches this for any other reason than to see just how stupid and fake TV can get should be ashamed of themselves.

The Flavor of Love was really cool!

Author: ultrajoker69 from United States
5 August 2006

The show was funny with a few moments of real excitement, some pretty hot girls, and one of the most original guys I've ever seen on TV. Although the show was about a rapper it didn't go to far with the rap (I mean it didn't try to shove the rap down our throats) Although the show contained an interracial cast it didn't go overboard trying make some statement about race. For me it was comparable to The Osbournes meet the dating game. An aging Rock star thats obviously done his fair share of drugs looking for Mrs. Right or even Mrs. tonight. Surprisingly some of the plot was really eye opening, like who wouldve figured that the day would come when a houseful of somewhat intelligent women couldn't fry a chicken between them. I mean what simple housewife from the Bradys to the 80's couldn't fry chicken? The part that to me that was overlooked but that spoke volumes was when they got set up to baby sit the kids at the park. Besides Hoops every single 1 of them went in those ridiculous high heels (a stripper could barely walk in) with there breast hanging out or pressed up "till they were popping out the tops of they're turtlenecks" and skirts so short or revealing they wouldve made a sailor blush. They were led to believe they were going to meet some of Flavs friends...Hoops went in a nice normal T-shirt, I think she had a skirt on to but out of all the rest it seemed like she was the only one who had just got dressed and got in the car. The rest of them looked and felt very uncomfortable around the kids. I know thats the way a lot of decent women are dressing and have been dressing since the Flappers way back in the roaring 20's and probably even before then but to me its kinda like the joke Dave Chappelle said "you might not be a prostitute but your wearing a prostitutes uniform."

The show was good and did a darn good job of pointing out in a fun way a lot of stuff thats going on that we don't normally talk about or even consciously take notice of. The shows about Flav and how hes looking for someone thatll really love him as he is and that has what hes looking for in a woman. I think that someone is New York; without all the drama (which I do enjoy) its pretty obvious. Although that being said I think Red Oyster or Hoops are both right up there. Though neither show the passion or interest in Flav that New York does. Sometimes watching the show I wonder how different is Flavs situation from Donald Trumps or half of Hollywood's for that matter or even yours or mine? Whos 100% sincere 100% of the time? I think everybody has some angle or reason they show interest in you. If a woman likes a guys car and laughs at his stupid jokes and eventually ends up getting with said guy is that so wrong? If I like a girl strictly because shes a good cook and I never tell her that or your with somebody only because they're a fireman or a doctor or they know a lot about movies or they're a great dancer or they're a great poker player... I don't think its the end of the world. I bet some really good relationships began with a lot less. Anyways if you get a chance watch the show dang it, its pretty good.

Flavor of love: It's all about the ratings!

Author: AineOHara from United States
26 October 2006

Flavor of love is a type of show that makes one want to turn away only to peek at what is going on. Flavor of love is shamelessly entertaining and a guilty pleasure.

The premise is similar to the bachelor, though in this case it is in a jerry springer-like laughable atmosphere at full pelt. Where women are throwing punches, insults, tearing out weaves and using awful vocabulary that would make English teachers everywhere cringe.

In the eye of this hurricane is oddball, eccentric, clock wearing fossil "rapper" Flava Flav out to find a 'paramour' to add to the notches on his bed post with a tribe of raunchy, meretricious women from the section-8 housing projects and the holly-wood and vine corner vying for the flava flav's swarthy affection.

Just like with all reality shows (despite Flav's protests) FoL is fabricated and it is just for "T.V".

Flavor Of Love - Season I Going Into Season II

Author: cherishady from New York, NY
25 April 2006

I have read many of the comments and I have a 50/50 opinion just as well. Yes,I agree the show is not that much of a reality show as most and many of the girls were already into acting. Also, I too tried out at the casting call for Season II and I have no acting experience whatsoever. However, I am a looker, but to no avail I didn't get any callbacks. Go figure!!! I don't agree with many of the comments on, "who would want to be with Flav?" I mean no, his pulchritude is not the best, but it is not of essence either. I mean there is somebody for everybody. I am sure many of us are not all that appealing, but do think there is someone sincere enough to be with us for how we can treat one and make them feel. As for last season's characters, that is exactly what they were characters. I don't believe the hype about the reality. I mean where were the real down to earth girls who never did any sort of acting or modeling? None the less, the show put out what they wanted to deliver and got great rewards in return....One million viewers and then some. All of us, no matter how much we can agree or disagree were stuck to that tube watching weekly! Don't hate, but congratulate.........I am sure you are staying tuned for next season.....

Hoopz Wins

Author: Sensationalpoet from United States
12 March 2006

Hmmmm...how do I feel about Hoopz winning? Well, that's good for her. She did get Flavs pick and hand in marriage. Interesting match up I must say. However, and I know a lotttt of people will disagree with me in saying this I wish NY had won. I mean NY and Flav just seemed to connect unlike Hoopz and He. However, the show was edited so perhaps we didn't receive the fullness of their moments together. Being noticed that, I guess that's a good thing for Hoopz so that she gets the privacy of the relationship w/out everyone seeing those extra private moments.I couldn't do the famous relationship thing because it's too open for me...who wants the whole world in their business, that's why I respect relationships like Jay-z and Beyonce and Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake--because they stay out the limelight and have a better success of a relationship. Just a theory people I could be wrong, but that's my view.

Congrats Hoopz or Nikki if you ever read the IMDb Postings. Best of Luck to you NY if you ever read the IMDb Postings. God Bless :0-)

I thought the Flavor of Love was a really cool show.

Author: coldcrushd from California
1 August 2006

It was entertaining, hip, funny & at times even exciting. Even while the tempers were flaring it was still a fun show. When some of the girls were disingenuous Flav proved 1 monkey don't stop the show. It was reminiscent of simpler times when everything on TV wasn't so strictly formulated & shows like Love Connection were a hit (& the couples young or old dint always hit it off). Flavor is a Hip-Hop icon, & even if you didn't grow up on his music, hes still 1 of the coolest guys thats ever been on VH1. If you never heard Flav back in 1986 or 87, or you weren't around yet, or (worst case scenario) basically were still listening to Debbie Gibson or New kids On The Block... Listening to his songs now like "911 Is A Joke" "Fight the Power" or "Cold Lampin With Flavor" would barely begin to even give you a little insight into how fresh he was, but you'll never really know or understand how hot or dope lines like "Flavor Flav, the flav of all flavors, onion & garlic, french fried potatos" really were back in the day. (Hoping I can still quote that right without having to Google it or break out the cassette tapes.) At a time when White people or Caucasians,from Friday Night Videos(the big video show on Network TV) to MTV wouldn't even play Rap or Black music. At a time when Michael Jackson had to break all of the Beatles & Elvis old record sales records; to earn the right to be the first Black even allowed on MTV (& MTV/vh1 were cable channels that back then even a lot of the MIDDLE-CLASS Blacks, & Mexicans & Filipinos etc didn't have.) Lyrics actually mattered back then, Hip-Hop was still an art form young Black males exclusively used to communicate exclusively with other Black males around the country. Before Eminem, and 8 Mile, million dollar videos, Cristal, & hip-hop-hos, or whatever derogatory stigmatism they want to attach to Hip-Hop or "CALL" Hip-Hop. Flavor Flav was writing stuff that was blowing our minds, educating & empowering a whole generation. (I can remember the Africa medallions he had everybody rocking; & running to Walden Books or the library after school to actually learn about Black/Pan-African culture. Cause it was cool, & that was HIP-HOP.) From 50 Cents to Nelly to Will Smith to Queen Latifah to Spike Lee anybody that was there would agree Flav was our Bill O Riley, our Red Hot Chili Peppers, our Beatles, our Bono, all rolled into 1.

Just for the record. Back then being a female in Hip-Hop was respectable & the B-Girls/ladys got they're respect, (without shaking what they're Momma gave them or backing anything up, although they did have they're sexier dances they were usually just more feminine versions of the same dances the guys were doing.) From Mc Lyte, to Roxanne Shante, Monie Love, Lady Antoinette, Yo-Yo & IBWC to Conscious Daughters or Isis etc. The girls back then would be pretty or even sexy but they were completely covered up in clothes almost just like dudes, but flyer. & any guy that wanted to be with them was in for a tough time...they were real Hip-Hop & that meant they were smart/quick witted & that if you wanted a chance with them you had to "chase them" or "sweat them" (no matter how rich or how POOR they were) almost how Desi had to respect & romance Lucille Ball; or how the Emily Post book of etiquette wouldve written the rules of courtship. They weren't hoochies groupies or materialistic designer wearing air heads. Times have changed & the teens now & people that don't understand Hip-Hop or that jut got into it the last few 6 or 7 years think that Lil Kim & the like define what a woman in Hip-Hop should be. They don't get that no matter how cool she seems or how big her personality is shes just herself & she doesn't represent what a woman in Hip-HOP is, should be, or has been. (Although I do like Lil Kim, Trina, & the like) I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for my B-Girls, smarter than your average university coed, sharper in her world politics & history than your local anchor woman, yet cooler than your average rapper... I wish that Flav had a B-girl on the show like Erykah Badu or Missy Elliot. Thats who the worlds illest B-Boy really needs.

Now that being said I think some people are taking Reality TV too serious, its just a TV show. & as with anybody else on TV from the witness of a car accident to your local weatherman. Who isn't on TV ultimately to get something out of it? (Even if its just to get they're point across.) People keep naming all of these other places they've seen Flavs contestants on before, but basically who cares? If they tried to get on the WWE who cares,if they were on Next oh well,if they're not virgins lol so what... I wouldn't care if my local weatherman had been on Seinfield or even that the Governor of Minnesota had been on the WWF... Arnold Schwarzenegger the Governor of California was on the Dating Game trying to get famous before he was famous! I mean Flav was right in trying to get rid of the girls who were ONLY on the show to advance they're careers & really weren't interested in him. But just as a fan of the show what difference would any of this make to me? To me that's REAL REALITY TV right there.This whole debacle only made the show that much realer to me. I myself liked Red Oyster & was hoping she would win although I have to admit Pumpkin was probably the hottest.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]