The IT Crowd (TV Series 2006–2013) Poster

(2006–2013)

cool series
devismailibrahim17 February 2018
This series is incredibly cool, I would like to continue.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The IT Crowd
WubsTheFadger21 January 2018
Short and Simple Review by WubsTheFadger

The IT Crowd has plot lines that vary from episode to episode. There are some jokes that are seen and heard through many episodes. The individual story's are hilarious and well thought out.

The acting is great. The chemistry between Richard Ayoade, Chris O'Dowd, Katherine Parkinson, Christopher Morris, and Matt Berry is the best part of the show.

The pacing in some of the episodes can seem a little slow but the director does this to set up joke that builds up.

The episode length is good. Most episodes are about 22 minutes long. Each season is 6 episodes except for the final season which is just 1 48 minute episode.

I do wish there were more episodes because of the great story telling and interesting characters.

Pros: Great acting, hilarious individual story's, good chemistry between the actors, directors patience in building up a joke, and a short episode length

Cons: Some slow pacing and not enough episodes

Overall Rating: 9.0
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A show for lovers of British humor!
Dennis Otten8 October 2017
I never was and still I'm not a big fan of American sitcoms. They mostly exist of lame jokes made by over payed actors for a conservative American audience.

So that's why I like British humor. Silly, cynical, satirical, funny and the actors don't mind to make a fool of themselves. O yeah and the jokes are all very well written! The IT crowd is a show like this and it's so good that you will laugh almost all the time. Absolute a recommendation for lovers of British humor!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Make sure to check out this show!
Chridular6 October 2017
I heard about this show just recently. I wasn't given much of an idea of what it was, but I was told it focused on some nerdy characters similar to The Big Bang Theory. I sat down to watch this show and couldn't stop! I'd have to say that the comparison of the characters to The Big Bang Theory was not all that accurate, but that really helped make this show original. It revolves around the IT department of a fairly large company. There are three main characters, played by Chris O'Dowd, Richard Ayoade, and Katherine Parkinson, who work in this department. They each have very different personalities which adds to the various types of scenarios that can come across as convincing throughout the series. The jokes are very well-written and perfectly timed. Even if you don't work in IT, you will still get a lot of enjoyment out of watching this show. I just wish I had learned about it sooner!
great comedy show
Banzai Ortiz2 October 2017
Such a great show, love it. Heavy on the punchlines and slapstick side, but also on the kind of "seinfeld"-eske side with the everyday or more specifically IT Support (or Nerd) situations and problems.

Gotta love the characters and funny situations they get into. Would be so deserving of more seasons and episodes.

British style comedy show at it's best.
Wood this is it
Adam Walker28 September 2017
I really like It Crowd because i had been working in it department since a few years. even in different country. same all the dialogues actions and problems, behaviors in the company. i most Laughed for first season, they described the it department what is. especially scenes of the answer machine was the best and toilet cleaners....

oh God... i m still laughing....
Best. Comedy. Ever.
suleymanoglu11 July 2017
I don't easily re-watch something. But IT Crowd is worth it. If you want to laugh then watch this. Excellent writing, excellent acting. The only thing I don't like about it is sometimes the audience laugh loudly at things that are not that funny. Season 2 episode 1 is the most I laughed in my life. It was non stop hilarity.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious satire of... everyone.
adam28 June 2017
"The IT Crowd" is not a complicated show. There are a few main characters, none of who I had heard of before watching it, relatively few big set designs, and a generally sparse style. Yet with so little, the show is one of the funniest that has come out of Britain in recent years. It poke fun at both the foibles of big business and "normal" people while simultaneously skewering the quirks of "nerds."

Yet despite its attempts at being topical, the show is at its best when it is just silly. One of my favorite episodes involves the IT department's hapless relationship manager, Jen Barber (Katherine Parkinson), being told she's giving a speech at the end of the week. The IT workers, Roy (Chris O'Down) and Moss (Richard Ayoade), decide to play a prank on her by giving her a box "containing" the Internet, straight from Big Ben. They assume that she will be mocked at her big presentation. Instead, when the box is destroyed due to the intervention of the episode's B-plot, the assembled middle management of Reynholm Industries descends into hysterical violence.

It is not a serious show, but it is a very funny one that transcends social status, social skills, and culture to bring a message of silly humor and general mockery.

(I watched this show in its entirety most recently in April 2017.)
A British Big Bang
studioAT16 June 2017
Now we have 'The Big Bang Theory' (for better or worse) it's easy to forget that 'The IT Crowd' actually covered pretty similar ground before hand.

It's not the great sitcom it was made out to be upon its launch, and didn't really ever get to that point, but it's warm enough, funny enough, and watched by enough people for it to be considered a success. So everyone's happy, right?

I can't say it did a lot of me really,perhaps because I saw it only after 'The Big Bang Theory', but I recognise the quality of the performances given, and the writing.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Where is the button for the internet?
OneEightNine Media25 February 2017
Bloody Brilliant! I didn't even know they added another episode and gave us an official ending to this masterpiece. There are so many things I love about this series. What trips me out is how it keeps getting progressively better with each episode. Seriously, some of the last few episodes are nearly lethal gut-busters. The final episode they tacked on after a few years isn't as funny as the rest of the series but it was nice of them to give it to us. Some of the jokes are dated but work well regardless. In about 100 years from now, this television series will be used as educational material for what mankind was like at the start of IT becoming mainstream.
Comedy at its best.
Paul Evans20 November 2015
This is truly a comedy of pure genius. All the elements involved are spot on, and combine to make a show of pure brilliance. Brilliant scripts, wonderfully acted, the mix of Chris O'Dowd, Richard Ayoade and Katherine Parkinson combine outrageously well. Huge credit to Graham Linehan too, previously successful with Father Ted and Black Books his pedigree is there for all to see.

The out and out funniest episode in my humble opinion had to be The work outing, which I can watch again and again and still be belly laughing, it's immense, other top quality episodes include The Speech, Calamity Jen and finale The internet is coming. Very few dips in quality.

What a shame it had to finish, this was gold. 10/10
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the funniest TV Show. Hilarious.
Chihiro6 August 2015
If you wanna laugh out loud, watch The IT Crowd. It's one of my favorite TV Shows that I've enjoyed most watching. It's about two nerd that work as IT in a large corporation. They're surrounded with dumb people, and that's what makes it funny. A new department chief comes. A girl that has no idea with computers.

The cast is great, Richard Ayoade as Moss is in my top 5 characters that made me laugh most. Also other characters are funny as well. There are no jokes at all. The dialogue is funny itself, the characters are funny in the way they talk, act and the way they live.

I'm not a guy who re-watch TV shows. But this case, I'm sure that I'm gonna watch again IT Crowd.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Richard Ayoade is a comedic genius!
maddstudent200522 July 2015
this show is like the British version of seinfeld for the it lovers, extremely intelligent, well written and most importantly well acted. The actor who stands out is def Richard Ayoade, explosive performance. Although 10 stars, i think people ages 17-40 might like the show better, than older or younger crowds, because of the intelligence of comedic tones, and also the it parts. The first episode, might be hard to understand for Americans, because of the British English vs American English, but by video two, it takes you to it's world. Work place, co- workers. overall, this show hits between left and right in comedy, between two intelligent guys, and a co-worker, with barely any It knowledge who's an idiot at IT but brilliant at people, and IT guys, that are brilliant at IT but idiots with people. I love the automated phone message, to shut off and restart the computer, is a classic. Hilarious.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smashing good fun
paxdriver18 May 2015
The show's got a few episodes that bring side plots together for a 'grande finale'-esque bit, which is a very difficult style to pull off, especially for 22 minute episodes. The majority of the show is that awkward humor we geeks know and love so much. This show reminds me an awful lot of the cartoon series "Clerks" but with a more grown up feel. There are, as with any series, a few episodes that go so far over the top you groan from pain, but the chances of a deliciously laid out bit is well worth the endurance.

Given the simple premise of the show, the script stays remarkably fresh. Brilliant acting on the part of the 3 primary leads and excellent writing make this an easy show to marathon over a weekend.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious British entertainment
This is more then nerdy, it is great and nerdy, funny and strange, weird and wonderful. It has very nerdy characters their in each their own personal way is strange and wonderful at the same time.

There are so many clichés and stories about how an IT department works and operate and this just makes everyone of the seem true and perfectly right :) This specific IT department contains two nerds and a manager, they are all wonderfully strange and really has a way about them that really fits the stereotype.

It is a very fun series and it has great black English humor and that is really good, sometimes they take it a bit over the top, but it is mostly the strange characters of management that doesn't really fit in.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent British comedy
The Grand Master1 February 2015
I first saw The IT Crowd after a friend recommended the show to me, and I'm glad I watched it. I was hooked onto the show right after the first episode, and each episode kept getting funnier. The IT Crowd is definitely one of the funniest comedies I have seen in a long time. I have even recommended it to friends and family and they have found themselves hooked.

The IT Crowd is about three staff members from an IT Department located in the basement of Reynholm Industries which everybody from the office relies upon but frequently ignores and often looks down upon the staff as inept losers. Roy Trennerman (Chris O'Dowd) is a laid-back but very lazy Irish IT worker a love for wearing geek T-shirts that represent the latest trend in computers which reflects his personality however he goes to great lengths to avoid work so he can do nothing but play video games, read comics and play around in the office. Roy puts in very little effort in helping others in the office which is evidenced by his standard IT suggestions such as "Have you tried turning it off and on?" and "Is it plugged in?" whenever someone calls up the IT Department with a computer problem. He also proves to be luckless in love. Maurice Moss (Richard Ayoade) has a brilliant technological mind when it comes to computers yet he is very socially inept when it comes to dealing with people. Moss struggles with basic communication skills and also lives with his mother who also dresses him and packs his lunch. The attractive Jen Barber (Katherine Parkinson) was a new worker assigned to the IT Department as the boss after she claims on her CV she has experience with computers however it is shown throughout the series that she has zero technical or technology management experience. She even lacks basic computer knowledge such as not knowing what IT stands for, how to plug into a computer or telephone, infecting her laptop to make it look attractive, as well as making outlandish statements about the internet.

The original director of Reynholm Industries Denholm Reynholm (Chris Morris) has very little IT knowledge but always thinks up of new and often ridiculous initiatives aiming to improve performance and morale in his company yet he frequently makes impetuous and rash decisions and pays little attention to other workers, unless they were attractive. Later in the series his long lost son Douglas Reynholm (Matt Berry) takes over Reynholm Industries. Douglas speaks very loud and dramatically, and also has uncontrollable sexual urges to other females he finds attractive which has resulted in a history of many sexual harassment accusations levelled against him. He has also seemingly inherited his father's impetuous and arrogant personality.

Chris O'Dowd and Richard Ayoade made a great duo as the socially inept IT workers Roy and Moss. In particular, Moss was my favourite character out of the entire series as there was never a dull moment with Moss. Katherine Parkinson was great as Jen, the new manager of the IT Department despite her lack of knowledge of basic computer skills. Chris Morris and Matt Berry were hilarious as the father and son of Reynholm Industries.

I've always has a soft spot for British comedy. It doesn't try too hard and there is no overacting required, but it's kept simple yet the humour is brilliant and clever. The IT Crowd is an excellent example of comedy kept simple and does not rely on over the top humour nor does it rely on sexual jokes or strong profanity yet it works perfectly on all levels.

One of the Funniest Sitcoms I've Ever Watched
brando64722 November 2014
For those who complain that "The Big Bang Theory" is too artificial and panders to mainstream audiences, there's a fantastic option for getting your geek/comedy fix in the U.K.'s "The IT Crowd". The sitcom, from writer/director Graham Linehan, is one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. In my opinion, sitcoms have always been a cheap form of laughs that cater to the lowest common denominator with themes reused over and over again for the same gags. But this one felt genuine and original with a fun twist on common life foibles as seen through the eyes of two antisocial computer techs toiling away in the basement of a major corporation. We introduced to their world in the beginning with the arrival of Jen Barber (Katherine Parkinson) when she's hired as the manager of Reynholm Industries' IT department. A computer- illiterate woman intent on faking her way to success, she meets Roy Trenneman (Chris O'Dowd) and Maurice Moss (Richard Ayoade): the company's crack IT team. Over the course of four series (and a total of 25 episodes), the three of them will endure everything from cannibalism to viral menstruation as they attempt to break out of their sheltered world and, you know, do things grown adults are supposed to do. The show has a fun balance of humor that will appeal to the more geek-centric viewers while keeping most of it broad enough that anyone can find something hilarious. This show is everything I'm pretty sure "The Big Bang Theory" wanted to be.

What makes "The IT Crowd" so much fun? The characters. I freakin' love the characters in this show. All of them. The show manages to keep the roster down to a manageable four (five, when Richmond is around) to give each plenty of screen time for us to get to know them. Roy is the IT team's more… social…member, and that's not saying much. He has a general hatred for the common populace (which I can get behind) and finds most people to be blithering idiots, but he's also a lech who uses his position to try and troll the upper floors of the building for his next hot (unsuccessful) date. Chris O'Dowd (who I'd only previously seen in BRIDESMAIDS) injects the character with the perfect level of charm and exasperation. The fan favorite of the show is Moss and his endless list of eccentricities. He's a more prototypical nerd: hyper-intelligent, naïve, and utterly inept when thrust into social situations. He's the sort who'll faint at the thought of a woman opening discussing her unmentionables or find a website to aid in engaging in casual conversation with sport fans. Richard Ayoade is perfect in the role. Every time Moss is on screen, you can bet the best laughs will come from him. Fun fact: Ayoade was the only cast member to be ported over to the States to star in the American version and even he couldn't save the unused pilot from becoming an inferior copycat of the original that saw a fast, merciful death before reaching air. The final member of the IT crew is Jen. She's the "normal" one. She's got no computer experience (outside of checking her email) and she can actually engage in personal relationships. She's a manipulative go-getter who initially hopes her management role in the IT department could lead to bigger and better things. As Jen, Katherine Parkinson is the audience's vessel into this absurd show and the best moments are when it becomes apparent that she's become ingrained in the world of geek culture. The final character (or characters, I guess, since we went through two over the course of the show) is the big boss of Reynholm Industries. The first series featured Chris Morris as Deynholm Reynholm, a hyperactive man with a few screws missing and a passion for motivating his workforce. I honestly can't find the words to describe Morris's bizarre line deliveries and the quirks he brings to the character but they're awesome. Morris was with the show until the beginning of the second series when Matt Berry stepped in to run the company as Douglas Reynholm and we got a whole new level of insane. Rather than ape what made Morris's character of Reynholm so fun, Berry's Douglas is sexist (renowned for his collection of sexual harassment suits), melodramatic, and a total buffoon. While I can understand why people seem to love the character of Moss the most, I'm honestly torn between Moss and Douglas Reynholm as my favorite character in the series.

"The IT Crowd" is more than just it's fantastic characters. I was also impressed that its plot lines never seem to retread old sitcom ground. Each of the episodes felt more original than you're average TV comedy. Granted, most of the episodes are focused on the same thing: the IT crowd attempts to integrate/interact with normal people and it goes horribly wrong. The IT crew is invited to a dinner party at Jen's flat when her usual guests were unavailable. Roy establishes a bogus dating site profile to win a bet against Jen and prove that women only want bad boys. Moss and Roy become friends with a group of "real men" and bond over soccer, beer, and armed robbery. It's a common thread in the series, but it's not their only trick. Graham Linehan has got enough material that it kept the series fresh over the course of its four-series run. If I had to choose a personal favorite, I would agree with a good portion of it's fan- base and go with "The Speech", wherein Jen is award the title of Employee of the Month and must give a speech on technology to the company's shareholders. When Jen's ego inflates and the boys decide to have a little harmless fun with her acceptance speech, it's…well…it's just perfect. I can't recommend this show enough and only wish that it would've continued on longer than it did. Four series just wasn't enough.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the top 10 shows of all time
jmcgil2210 October 2014
The IT Crowd is brilliant thanks to not only Graham Linehan's clever writing, (he also wrote the Irish classic Father Ted), but also because the actors have such a great chemistry. Absurd scenarios and quirky, over the top characters are the signatures of this show. Chris O'Dowd has become a Hollywood star, but Richard Ayoade, Katherine Parkinson and Matt Berry are equally talented. Having them all together in one show is really a treat. I'm so glad they came back for a final episode to give the series closure. If you are fond of British humor, or you work in IT support, you should definitely give this show a try. In my opinion, it is in the top ten, (or even the top five), shows of all time.
The sweet "geekness", The IT Crowd
kikkapi2019 August 2014
Each episode well written, performances by Katharine Parkinson (Jen), Chris O'Dowd (Roy), and Richard Ayoade (Moss) are all extremely well executed; makes one want to find more of what they all have to offer. It is unfortunate that British comedies only have 6 episodes per series, I suppose it's quality over quantity. If you are hesitant on watching this show please don't be and please do so now. I am really not much of a TV critique (this being my first review) but this is one show I find to be extremely well thought out and deserving of the credit it needs. f you like comedy and have not seen this, the you are really missing something great.
I love it
Just-Being-Me5 March 2014
OK so i will admit when my partner wanted to give this a try when it was on TV i thought "oh no, not another boring programme" because every comedy i watch now days is not funny, is stupid and it is like the actors are trying so hard to make the viewers laugh that it just ends up showing them up.

BUT this was a surprise, i mean it made me laugh and it is something i could watch over and over. The actors are great at playing each part, they make me laugh.

All i will say is the female (one of the main people in the show) does seem to act too dramatic and go over board all the time, but i look past that and it is enjoyable to watch, i just think it would be better if she wasn't so over the top. One other thing i will say that ruined it for me... NOT ENOUGH EPS!!! i mean i really enjoyed watching them but then i watched them all and wanted to see more. I hope more will come out in the future and i would recommend people giving this a chance. IT'S GREAT.

9 out of 10 from me and well deserved.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny, topical - with Seasons 2 and 3 as the best
Bene Cumb25 November 2013
I am not a computer fan/geek/... etc myself, but I have frequently worked among women and/or elderly whose knowledge of IT is similar to Jen Barber's in the series... Thus, I got to know the very basics and, as for many questions and situations, I felt my "joy" of recognition; moreover, decades ago when computers and Internet were expensive, lots of people virtually resided in their working places, with red eyes and strange new hobbies...

Thus, the series in question is not so exaggerated as some people close to me not aware of those issues tend to think (apart from the management level, evidently). My biggest support goes to Richard Ayoade as Maurice Moss - both character-wise and actor-wise, he is just something distinctive. But Chris O'Dowd as Roy Trenneman and Katherine Parkinson as Jen Barber are very much up to their task as well. As for supporting actors, I liked Noel Fielding as Richmond Avenal most and Matt Berry as Douglas Reynholm least, the latter as owner of a huge company is least unlikely figure as well.

And "only" 8 points as not all series and episodes are smooth and even - vis-a-vis Fawlty Towers, for example. Nevertheless, The IT Crowd is worth watching and laughing, with 20-something minutes per episode.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the Real Nerdy Series
Bruce Gordon7 November 2013
I fell in love with the IT Crowd since the first episode. being a computer guy myself with all the quirks to nerds and the simple English Humor cracked me up on every episode.

following a simple story line of technical support within their company and the drama of trying to be recognized facing challenges that applies to our technical world, always reminds me where i come from.

You cannot go wrong watching the IT Crowd. If you know computer lingo and are looking for a good laugh this is the series for you. give it a chance to settle in if you not familiar with the language. you'll soon find it entertaining and informative.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I think this is aimed at teens and young adults.
An utterly sophomoric attempt at humor via blatant over the top absurdity. The ridiculous or absurd is apparently funny to some. It's just irritating nonsense to me. I made it to just past the halfway points of each of the 1st 2 seasons opening episodes, before crying uncle, and I only made it that far through sheer effort, because it was recommended by a friend. I was ready to bail out 4 minutes into the first episode. That ridiculous parody of a corporate hiring manager told me all I needed to know about the tack the show would take.

No wit, not a whiff of reality, nothing approaching real characters, or anything that could accurately be described as a plot. College humor, at best. Way over the top absurdly exaggerated acting. Unless you're a kid, don't waste your time.
8 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Genuinely funny
bbewnylorac22 May 2013
Graham Linehan is the best writer of comedy around. His comedy series are funny and intelligent and seamlessly put together. But best of all they have heart. Yes the IT crowd geeks are awkward dweebs but you feel for them, and you cheer on their little victories. The acting is all superb. You get the feeling Richard Ayoade and Chris O'Dowd could riff off one another for hours. And, just like on Linehan's Father Ted, there are lots of wacky side-scenes to keep you entertained, like Noel Fielding playing the Gothic hermit that works in the mysterious office that never opens, with the flashing computer lights that only he can decipher.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this